Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Royal Blood 07:11 - May 30 with 8407 viewsGlasgowBlue

Artistic statement or entitled petulant behaviour?

I’m inclined to go with the latter.it’s up to the artist to put on the show of their lives and win over people who are not their usual audience.

When Slade were last minute replacements for Ozzy Osborne at the Reading Rock Festival, the crowd threw bottles at what they perceived to be glam rock has beens. Two songs in Slade won them over with their musicianship.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Royal Blood on 16:20 - May 30 with 1250 viewsblueasfook

Royal Blood on 12:28 - May 30 by The_Flashing_Smile

"Annoying all the right people" is the cool thing to say on here isn't it?

The clip is context free so hard to judge what led them to this.

Personally, the first album was great and they've gone downhill ever since. They were fresh upstarts then. Now? Perhaps they've believed their own hype too much. Lyrically they don't seem to have much left to say.

I imagine if it were an artist you liked (now or back in the day) you'd be saying well done them, artistic statement.

No I wouldn't I'd be saying "What an arse" regardless of who they were/are.

As a professional performer, to lose it that like on-stage is like the worst thing you can do.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Royal Blood on 16:21 - May 30 with 1251 viewsGlasgowBlue

Royal Blood on 16:18 - May 30 by hype313

In that case, better to get the Glenn Miller band on in the afternoon.

If they can find him?

Iron Lion Zion

Royal Blood on 18:22 - May 30 with 1161 viewsFoD_Blue

I saw them in plymouth on Saturday, Supporting Muse.

They were OK, nothing more.
As somebody already mentioned, a band who peaked with their first album because it was something a bit different. They got a decent reaction to the better known songs from the first album, the rest was pretty forgetable.

Muse however, gave a masterclass in how to put on a rock show.
Royal Blood on 18:53 - May 30 with 1143 viewsDBaldy

Royal Blood on 10:58 - May 30 by BlueBadger

Some context here then.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/royal-blood-big-week

He turned up determined to antagonise his crowd and spent the whole gig stropping about a gig, for which he was presumably being paid well to turn up at.

I have a degree of sympathy as Mrs Badger is a part-time jobbing musician and every musician has faced indifferent crowds at times, but at no point is it wise to start off antagonistic and then double down on it as a way of trying to win people over.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 11:12]

"He turned up determined to antagonise his crowd and spent the whole gig stropping about a gig"

That isn't quite what the article you linked says now is it:

"As Royal Blood, comprising singer/guitarist Kerr and drummer Ben Thatcher, neared the end of their performance, Kerr began mocking the audience and suggesting they didn’t know who the band were."

Not defending how he acted and agree that arguing with the crowd is never a good idea, but I do know that the singer has struggled with mental health in the past and used to be an alcoholic, so there could easily be more to it than him just being an entitled idiot.
Royal Blood on 19:22 - May 30 with 1104 viewsyorkshireblue

Sandwiches between Niall Horan and Lewis Capaldi at a pop festival was never going to be their crowd - blame the management for the booking, not the crowd. Plenty of people have played to not their typical fans and made new ones in the process.

They have form for this though… years ago the played at Cambridge Corn Exchange and one of my mates went along. They seemingly got ‘big’ after the tickets went on sale as apparently he opened the show saying the venue was too small for them but they couldn’t get out of the contract and that the crowd better enjoy it as they won’t be playing s-holes like there ever again.
Royal Blood on 20:01 - May 30 with 1070 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

A bit petty, but all a bit of nothing really. They definitely had a moment around the time of the first album where they were the trendy new band for middle aged men to tell their children about.

I think I may have seen them once, probably at a festival. The fact that I can't be sure is not that much of a slight on their music, more on my mental faculty at the time. I actually own their first album on CD, although I would be doubtful if I have listened to it any time since 2015.

Once in a blue moon I will catch 10-15 minutes of radio 1 by accident. Do they even play anything close to rock and/or roll anymore? Possibly late at night or when a new track for Arctic Monkeys or Wet Leg comes out, but I suspect that is about it.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Royal Blood on 20:34 - May 30 with 1038 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Royal Blood on 13:32 - May 30 by GlasgowBlue

You don't like Bananarama or Rick Astley? You absolute Philistine.

Rick Astley is great. Seen him twice.
He's a rocker at heart.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Royal Blood on 21:24 - May 30 with 1006 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Royal Blood on 18:53 - May 30 by DBaldy

"He turned up determined to antagonise his crowd and spent the whole gig stropping about a gig"

That isn't quite what the article you linked says now is it:

"As Royal Blood, comprising singer/guitarist Kerr and drummer Ben Thatcher, neared the end of their performance, Kerr began mocking the audience and suggesting they didn’t know who the band were."

Not defending how he acted and agree that arguing with the crowd is never a good idea, but I do know that the singer has struggled with mental health in the past and used to be an alcoholic, so there could easily be more to it than him just being an entitled idiot.

I've kept fairly quiet, because of the obvious reaction of some on TWTD and this thread in particular, but yeah, you're spot on. They have an interesting backstory, are in no way manufactured, and certainly weren't 'dicks' when they started out; they were very down to earth and humble. They tried something, they practiced hard, and did it. Just two mates with a dream.

There are some naysayers on this thread who criticise, but haven't actually done anything. So much easier to criticise than have a go and put yourself out there.

Glasser's little clip isn't a good look but I think they're better than that. And whatever anyone thinks of their music, they've done well with a guitar, a drum kit and a set of effects pedals. Fair play to them. Watch any interview with them and they just seem like nice blokes you'd chat to in a pub, who are very surprised and modest about their success.

This outburst is very out of character from what I've seen.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Royal Blood on 22:10 - May 30 with 985 viewsGlasgowBlue

Royal Blood on 20:34 - May 30 by StochesStotasBlewe

Rick Astley is great. Seen him twice.
He's a rocker at heart.

indeed

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024