Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast 02:29 - Jun 30 with 4442 viewsurbanpenguin

This was mentioned on last week's pod, so presume you knew it was imminent, but in case you didn't know:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3ax2qqDui6pdwSjl2ELZml?si=tXF0D1t5TXCV2Q7TlrJjX

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:12 - Jun 30 with 4086 viewsIllinoisblue

Thanks for reminder. Listening now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:15 - Jun 30 with 4083 viewsIllinoisblue

“Net zero” klaxon!

62 - 78 - 81

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:30 - Jun 30 with 4080 viewswkj

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:15 - Jun 30 by Illinoisblue

“Net zero” klaxon!

It was mentioned, but it wasn't Ashton that bought it up.

This was a really good podder to be fair.

"The problem with football clubs.. people don't like change, people are set in their ways"

Seems Ashton is clued in to ElephantInTheRoom's obsession with the 1920s
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 4:35]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:34 - Jun 30 with 4077 viewsIllinoisblue

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:30 - Jun 30 by wkj

It was mentioned, but it wasn't Ashton that bought it up.

This was a really good podder to be fair.

"The problem with football clubs.. people don't like change, people are set in their ways"

Seems Ashton is clued in to ElephantInTheRoom's obsession with the 1920s
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 4:35]

All good stuff although nothing new. 50k shirts sold is quite remarkable though. Nice to hear the Drum n Monkey get another shout out!

62 - 78 - 81

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:38 - Jun 30 with 4063 viewswkj

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:34 - Jun 30 by Illinoisblue

All good stuff although nothing new. 50k shirts sold is quite remarkable though. Nice to hear the Drum n Monkey get another shout out!

I quite liked the mentions that while the owners are somewhat hands off, they still sign off the plan and hold the CEO and manager to the standard of their own plan.

Flip that around to Evans who wanted to be in the shadows and micromanage the overall plan.

It shows how scuffed Evan's system was. Oh and Ashton's dig about clubs cutting player wage to under market value resonated too "Do that at your peril"... it was like he was talking directly to Evans at that point.

Crybaby

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 07:51 - Jun 30 with 3703 viewsGavTWTD

A good listen. Can't help feeling blessed that we have good and talented people running the club, sponsoring the club, financing the club as well as the team management and coaching. I'm sure every football fan thinks their club is special and unique but we have extra reasons for thinking so.

Ashton will be a big miss when he gets his next job. He's had a massive to-do list here.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:33 - Jun 30 with 3579 viewsBondiBlue

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 04:15 - Jun 30 by Illinoisblue

“Net zero” klaxon!

I don't understand how. So 30k more shirts sold pays for broadhead and clarke?

Poll: Which would you accept?

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:34 - Jun 30 with 3565 viewsFixed_It

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:33 - Jun 30 by BondiBlue

Flynn Downes.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:36 - Jun 30 with 3555 viewsRopeyAdvice

That was really good, really interesting that. Although slightly surprised that he didn't mention cooking oil and that this is our time
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:55 - Jun 30 with 3466 viewsBondiBlue

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:34 - Jun 30 by Fixed_It

Flynn Downes.

Big sell on? Fair enough.

1 million for dozzell looks like really good business now.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 09:03 - Jun 30 with 3419 viewsKeno

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 07:51 - Jun 30 by GavTWTD

A good listen. Can't help feeling blessed that we have good and talented people running the club, sponsoring the club, financing the club as well as the team management and coaching. I'm sure every football fan thinks their club is special and unique but we have extra reasons for thinking so.

Ashton will be a big miss when he gets his next job. He's had a massive to-do list here.

We feel the same about the people who run TWTD Gav

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 09:57 - Jun 30 with 3301 viewsStewart27

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 07:51 - Jun 30 by GavTWTD

I’m not sure I felt special when Evans was running the show!
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 13:02 - Jun 30 with 3075 viewslizzibee

Surprise surprise the Office - ipswich edition on the Bristol City forum has generated traffic - they really are rent free.
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 13:19 - Jun 30 with 2996 viewsBiGDonnie

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 13:02 - Jun 30 by lizzibee

Surprise surprise the Office - ipswich edition on the Bristol City forum has generated traffic - they really are rent free.

Think I'm gonna have to join that forum. I'm actually embarrassed for them.

Definitely going to Bristol away.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 13:46 - Jun 30 with 2937 viewstextbackup

Did he mention banning any deliveries of materials in the main car park, because it blocked his spot.
Resulting in tradies now needing to cart materials an extra 40 odd metres?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 14:03 - Jun 30 with 2864 viewslizzibee

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 13:19 - Jun 30 by BiGDonnie

Think I'm gonna have to join that forum. I'm actually embarrassed for them.

Definitely going to Bristol away.

That’ll be a game not to be missed 🤣
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 14:18 - Jun 30 with 2808 viewsRedX

"They are very much shooting for the top table signings…..and probably won’t get them. Think they’re beginning to realise they aren’t the big boys anymore"

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/213244-the-office-uk-ipswich-town-editio
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 14:24 - Jun 30 with 2773 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 14:18 - Jun 30 by RedX

"They are very much shooting for the top table signings…..and probably won’t get them. Think they’re beginning to realise they aren’t the big boys anymore"

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/213244-the-office-uk-ipswich-town-editio

Apparently we have out of control spending, which is news to me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 15:49 - Jun 30 with 2677 viewswkj

I like how a few like to say "We tried to warn them", and to be fair, Ashton's jilted lover from OTIB has white knighted many Ashton threads. However, what exactly are we supposed to do, protest something that hasn't happened yet?

Sadly fans of Lesser Bristol do seem to often forget how much of a domestic and international fanbase we have (not massive, but significant), something that could well have been missing from the Ashton model when he was at the wrong coloured Bristol team.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 15:50]

Crybaby

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 16:25 - Jun 30 with 2616 viewsChurchman

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 15:49 - Jun 30 by wkj

I like how a few like to say "We tried to warn them", and to be fair, Ashton's jilted lover from OTIB has white knighted many Ashton threads. However, what exactly are we supposed to do, protest something that hasn't happened yet?

Sadly fans of Lesser Bristol do seem to often forget how much of a domestic and international fanbase we have (not massive, but significant), something that could well have been missing from the Ashton model when he was at the wrong coloured Bristol team.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 15:50]

The OTIB lobotomy brigade are up to page 74. Tbf, one of them did suggest that it was becoming a bit sad and obsessive to be constantly looking back but he/she’s a lone voice amongst the sound of knuckles dragging.

Our rather persistent friend DaveFevs (who desperately wants us to fail, as the thread amply demonstrates) can’t get enough of it. One of the other oddments said:

‘We warned them enough times and pointed out to them the questions to be asking but while things are still rosy they'll turn a blind eye to his out of control spending’.

They seem to be stuck on repeat with regard to this and can’t let it go. What’s odd is that the see only what they want to see. The idea that our set up and situation might be different to theirs is utterly beyond them. The idea that their owner, whose money supports them, might have some responsibility for their finances and is actually still pally with MA is also beyond them.

If (and it’s a big if) we make it to the PL in the next two or three years, I think OTIB might actually explode.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 16:43]
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 18:09 - Jun 30 with 2507 viewsJohnTy

This now has a thread on Owlstalk.
https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/322248-mark-ashton-ceo-ipswich-town/
A bit more positive about Ashton than Bristol City fans!
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 19:28 - Jun 30 with 2421 viewslizzibee

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 18:09 - Jun 30 by JohnTy

This now has a thread on Owlstalk.
https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/322248-mark-ashton-ceo-ipswich-town/
A bit more positive about Ashton than Bristol City fans!

Owlstalk being positive about something at Ipswich. I'm off to lie down!
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 19:37 - Jun 30 with 2394 viewsRedX

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 14:24 - Jun 30 by Swansea_Blue

Apparently we have out of control spending, which is news to me.

It’s very odd. Tbf, one guy(ghost rider) calls his fellow supporters behaviour towards Ashton a bit weird. He would be right.
Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 19:57 - Jun 30 with 2336 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 19:37 - Jun 30 by RedX

It’s very odd. Tbf, one guy(ghost rider) calls his fellow supporters behaviour towards Ashton a bit weird. He would be right.

A bit obsessive isn’t it. We had a bit of that with Sheepy, but it wasn’t very widespread.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 20:20 - Jun 30 with 2289 viewsJermynblue

Mark Ashton on the Price of Football podcast on 08:33 - Jun 30 by BondiBlue

Just listened to the section of the podcast where the net zero is mentioned. I noted that Mark comments that he is talking about net zero on a cash flow basis rather than a profit and loss basis. If I have understood this correctly in relation to a typical structure of a transfer then this is an important distinction. Our most significant sales have been made in the earlier part of this three year period whilst some of the more significant purchases have been in the last year (including the January transfer window). With the cash transfer payments often being spread over more than one year, including the initial cost and not the add ons, then we have probably now received the likely full value of the cash payments in relation to the initial transfer fee for the more significant sales we have made in this three year period (or even for sales made prior to this three year period but where cash in part was received during this three years period). However, for the most recent purchases we have made, I suspect that the cash payment of the initial fee are still to be made in part beyond this three year period which he mentions. Therefore, on a profit and loss basis, I suspect that we might not be net zero but on a cashflow basis I don't disbelieve what Mark says. However, we will still have cash payments to make in future years for some of the players we have recently purchased where on a profit and loss basis the transfer fees would have already been accounted for. I should mention I am not an accountant and perhaps those with more knowledge could offer a view.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024