Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? 14:24 - Jul 17 with 3554 viewsWhos_blue

Superb 8 part series available on BBC sounds.
Presented by Jo Whiley and Steve Lamacq.

Love it or loathe it, you can't ignore how important this scene was at the time.

It's incredibly 30 years since the phrase was coined by Stuart Maconie.

I was 24 in 1995, so right in the thick of it.

There are two town links:

The 78 cup final gets a mention.

The series is produced by Town fan Paul Sheehan.

Available here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0ftp7pt?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-m
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 14:28]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 14:53 - Jul 17 with 2892 viewsGogs

Never much liked the ‘Britpop’ moniker, but I loved the music back then. Still takes up most of my listening time now to be honest. I was 20 in 1994. Went to Glastonbury in 94, 95 and 97 and saw loads of brilliant gigs all over the country. Happy days. Will certainly give this podcast a listen
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 14:56 - Jul 17 with 2890 viewsSteve_M

I listened to a lot of this over the weekend, it's really good. A nice retrospective on the music but also a critique of some of the culture associated with the era (not least the rampant sexism).

Edit: Just come across this which seems mainly culled from the series but still a nice tasrer:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/jul/17/suddenly-misfits-became-pop-star
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 15:02]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 15:11 - Jul 17 with 2829 viewsthe_toff

Very much the music I grew up listening to, I never truly appreciated at the time how lucky we were to have it.

Also watching Glasto this year made me realise Jo Whiley is looking good for 58.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 15:30 - Jul 17 with 2801 viewsBluespeed225

Was in there as it morphed from that Baggy scene of 89-91, via the Camden pub nights (Blow Up), mixing the new bands, with 60’s stuff, and the fantastic library and film music, (and in turn the spin off lounge scene).Weller was coming back ( Brixton 91, got in on the door, the day Marriott died) 92-96 saw some of my best times, getting a mention in a mag after a Blur gig in NY, chatting with The Charlatans on the plane over, shortly before they were arrested on landing! I had a GP Lambretta, used it to display clothes for a while in the window of a mates little clothes shop in Upper Orwell Street, used to help him out in there, the music I mentioned playing in the shop. It did seem a time when stuff was happening every weekend. Happy days indeed.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 15:53 - Jul 17 with 2776 viewsthatbdude

As much Britpop was important, it really didn't have a specific sound. All the bands sounded different.

Blur were more experimental pop with instruments while Oasis was more pure rock. Kula Shaker were Psychedelic and while Elastica were New Wave.

The only similarity they have are the british themed or optimistic lyrics

I don't consider Radiohead britpop because of their darker lyrics and heavier sound, Bush is very similar. The Verve aren't because they were late to the scene.

Although not proper britpop, I do think The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays along with the rest of the Madchester movement were a massive influence to the scene and genre

Poll: Who going down?

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 15:59 - Jul 17 with 2752 viewsJimmyJazz

Has there been a significant music scene since? And I don't mean that in a good way, just since Brit Pop there have been a few good bands / artists, but a scene?

Then think about the year 1965 - 1995 and how many genres / scenes were in those 30 years.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:07 - Jul 17 with 2741 viewswischip

Was Brit Pop the last big-ish musical movement ? I'm struggling to think of the genres that followed in the last 20 years, but then I'm an old fart now. Did Trip Hop follow Brit Pop for a couple of years and then ....erm stuff I just didn't remember. A few good bands in isolation but never a movement. A lot of average, non-descript pop though.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:10 - Jul 17 with 2738 viewsthebooks

I was 23 in 1995. Looking back, most of that music is pretty dull: very conservative guitar rock, a lot of it up its own årse. Mediated through horrible things like Loaded and GQ.

I like Stereolab a lot still (although that was half French and you wouldn’t call it Britpop anyway), and I don’t mind Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur, and Supergrass, but that’s about it. I think.
Login to get fewer ads

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:15 - Jul 17 with 2731 viewsbaxterbasics

I always found most of what came under the 'Britpop' tag pretty dull, even as a teenager in the 90s. I was listening to The Prodigy, Nirvana, Beastie Boys and Rage Against the Machine. Still am today pretty much.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:16 - Jul 17 with 2729 viewswischip

I think whenever I hear the phrase Brit Pop the first band I always think of is Menswear. Forever locked into that genre in time.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:33 - Jul 17 with 2692 viewsthatbdude

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:15 - Jul 17 by baxterbasics

I always found most of what came under the 'Britpop' tag pretty dull, even as a teenager in the 90s. I was listening to The Prodigy, Nirvana, Beastie Boys and Rage Against the Machine. Still am today pretty much.

Very similar to you, I was more into grunge and alt rock/metal (still am today). I like the odd album like Definitely Maybe and Parklife but thats it really. Most of it was dull pop disguised and "alt rock"

Poll: Who going down?

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:47 - Jul 17 with 2673 viewstortoise

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:15 - Jul 17 by baxterbasics

Whenever there is a ‘scene’ like Britpop there’s always gonna be a load of rubbish hanging on the coat tails. There was a decent amount of good stuff that stands the test of time as well though I think.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:49 - Jul 17 with 2671 viewsblueasfook

Toploader, for me remain the best band of that era.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Their version of Dancing in the Moonlight…. on 17:17 - Jul 17 with 2653 viewsBloots

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:49 - Jul 17 by blueasfook

Toploader, for me remain the best band of that era.

….is one of the worst songs in the entire history of worst songs.

It makes me want to kill people

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Their version of Dancing in the Moonlight…. on 17:19 - Jul 17 with 2623 viewsdocklandsblue

Their version of Dancing in the Moonlight…. on 17:17 - Jul 17 by Bloots

And yet in Four Lions it is in one of the greatest scenes in modern comedy

Thanks for the kind words on the pod Whos Blue. If you haven't listened to it, it covers A LOT of the points made above. Plus you get to hear the Roger Osborne commentary in a new setting. What's not to like... Ep 8 also features Town fan and musician Bessie Turner and The Baths alumni Yard Act.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 17:20]
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 17:31 - Jul 17 with 2560 viewsMattinLondon

At the time, Britpop was some positive force which was badly needed. It outshone grunge which had disappeared up its own arse and which in comparison was quite miserable. Britpop was like a bright summer typified by songs such as ‘Common People’ and ‘Alright’.

It didn’t last long and ultimately most of the bands tried to disown themselves from Britpop.
Their version of Dancing in the Moonlight…. on 18:41 - Jul 17 with 2460 viewsWeWereZombies

Their version of Dancing in the Moonlight…. on 17:17 - Jul 17 by Bloots

Also, it doesn't sound anything like the Thin Lizzy original...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 19:29 - Jul 17 with 2436 viewsNthQldITFC

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:10 - Jul 17 by thebooks

I was 23 in 1995. Looking back, most of that music is pretty dull: very conservative guitar rock, a lot of it up its own årse. Mediated through horrible things like Loaded and GQ.

I like Stereolab a lot still (although that was half French and you wouldn’t call it Britpop anyway), and I don’t mind Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur, and Supergrass, but that’s about it. I think.

I loved it at the time, but have to say I find a lot of it very weak when I listen back to it now. Mind you, I hated 80s music at the time (even though I was a bit young) but enjoy a lot of that sort of stuff nowadays.

My favourites then were bands like Mansun, The Seahorses, Ash. The first two I could listen to now, but Ash...

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 20:32 - Jul 17 with 2368 viewsolimar

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 16:16 - Jul 17 by wischip

I think whenever I hear the phrase Brit Pop the first band I always think of is Menswear. Forever locked into that genre in time.

I think thats because they were manufactured by A&R guys in the Good Mixer in Camden, who were out there looking for the next new band. Looking back, they feel like a good example of where it was trying to unravel itself.
That and all the bands who just changed their style to try and catch the wave.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 20:38 - Jul 17 with 2317 viewsolimar

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 15:53 - Jul 17 by thatbdude

As much Britpop was important, it really didn't have a specific sound. All the bands sounded different.

Blur were more experimental pop with instruments while Oasis was more pure rock. Kula Shaker were Psychedelic and while Elastica were New Wave.

The only similarity they have are the british themed or optimistic lyrics

I don't consider Radiohead britpop because of their darker lyrics and heavier sound, Bush is very similar. The Verve aren't because they were late to the scene.

Although not proper britpop, I do think The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays along with the rest of the Madchester movement were a massive influence to the scene and genre

Read a good article recently on The Verve and how they reformed and Ashcroft changed his personality to lean into the Britpop wave, aswell as their music.
I loved their first album and its still miles better than Urban Hymns which has aged badly.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 20:53 - Jul 17 with 2289 viewsolimar

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 14:56 - Jul 17 by Steve_M

I listened to a lot of this over the weekend, it's really good. A nice retrospective on the music but also a critique of some of the culture associated with the era (not least the rampant sexism).

Edit: Just come across this which seems mainly culled from the series but still a nice tasrer:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/jul/17/suddenly-misfits-became-pop-star
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 15:02]

I saw this article earlier- never really liked Jo Whiley and the comment about "it was like they were our mates down the pub" seemed to summarise why for me. She has always come across as wanting to be mates of the band, wanting to be in the gang, never particularly challenging or critical.
Never more so than during Glastonbury each year where every band is one of her favourites, or did one of the best sets ever. Maybe thats a BBC thing, but Steve Lamacq doesnt have it.
Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 21:31 - Jul 17 with 2254 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 15:30 - Jul 17 by Bluespeed225

Was in there as it morphed from that Baggy scene of 89-91, via the Camden pub nights (Blow Up), mixing the new bands, with 60’s stuff, and the fantastic library and film music, (and in turn the spin off lounge scene).Weller was coming back ( Brixton 91, got in on the door, the day Marriott died) 92-96 saw some of my best times, getting a mention in a mag after a Blur gig in NY, chatting with The Charlatans on the plane over, shortly before they were arrested on landing! I had a GP Lambretta, used it to display clothes for a while in the window of a mates little clothes shop in Upper Orwell Street, used to help him out in there, the music I mentioned playing in the shop. It did seem a time when stuff was happening every weekend. Happy days indeed.

Amazed we don’t know each other in real life.

Very parallel to me - even down to having a GP Lambretta in a clothes shop window, though in my case it was Philip Brownes in Naaaaridge.

Poll: W or W

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 00:03 - Jul 18 with 2164 viewsMattinLondon

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 19:29 - Jul 17 by NthQldITFC

I loved it at the time, but have to say I find a lot of it very weak when I listen back to it now. Mind you, I hated 80s music at the time (even though I was a bit young) but enjoy a lot of that sort of stuff nowadays.

My favourites then were bands like Mansun, The Seahorses, Ash. The first two I could listen to now, but Ash...

Ash were great.

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 07:31 - Jul 18 with 2066 viewsWeWereZombies

Surprised there has been no Suede on this thread yet, were they too early on the scene to be proper Britpop ? Or the technology that was better but got pushed aside by the easier to take, a Betamax to the VHS of Oasis and (early) Blur ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 07:57 - Jul 18 with 2045 viewsdocklandsblue

Any Brit Pop alumni out there? on 07:31 - Jul 18 by WeWereZombies

Surprised there has been no Suede on this thread yet, were they too early on the scene to be proper Britpop ? Or the technology that was better but got pushed aside by the easier to take, a Betamax to the VHS of Oasis and (early) Blur ?

Weirdly one of the things I stumbled across whilst going through my loft before making the podcast was a poster I liberated from the Suede gig in Ipswich back in 93/94 (?)

Reminded me that at the time you could have seen Blur (I didn’t) Longpigs, Ash, Boo Radleys, Ocean colour scene, Embrace, Travis, Super Furry Animals etc (I did) in Ipswich. Made me very grateful for the work of The Brighten the Corners team in recent years in reinvigorating Ipswich as a place for live music. Perhaps The Murder Capital, Yard Act, Grove, Antony Szimerick etc will be those names for another generation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024