Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday Euros 12:53 - Aug 19 with 1796 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Better to get them here, in Spain or not much in it?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Holiday Euros on 13:00 - Aug 19 with 1760 viewsPinewoodblue

Pick them up at Tesco, no commission and they have a club card holder rate.

If you intend to use credit card on holiday make sure you have one that doesn’t apply a transaction fee, usually around 3%.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Holiday Euros on 13:03 - Aug 19 with 1759 viewsandytown

Holiday Euros on 13:00 - Aug 19 by Pinewoodblue

Pick them up at Tesco, no commission and they have a club card holder rate.

If you intend to use credit card on holiday make sure you have one that doesn’t apply a transaction fee, usually around 3%.

Halifax clarity credit card. No fees except interest payable on cash withdrawals as soon as you take the money out. So pay off the balance as soon as you can.
Rates at bureaux de change etc it as good in uk or abroad, in my experience
Holiday Euros on 13:21 - Aug 19 with 1730 viewsBasuco

I use a post office travel card, you can easily top it up or just use it as a payment card/draw cash, app to track payments and balance, you can convert your euros into many other currencies, including sterling, if you travel outside of the euro zone or have money left over that you wish to spend.
Holiday Euros on 13:57 - Aug 19 with 1672 viewsDaninthecampo

Get a Revolut card
Holiday Euros on 14:12 - Aug 19 with 1595 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Holiday Euros on 13:57 - Aug 19 by Daninthecampo

Get a Revolut card

I'm kind of hoping that folding is acceptable. Or is this card widely usable in atms?

Holiday Euros on 14:13 - Aug 19 with 1589 viewsWicklowBlue

Open a wise account and get their travel card.
Holiday Euros on 10:57 - Aug 20 with 1451 viewsDJR

Assuming no hidden charges, I always find the best rate is achieved by using a debit card to pay for things in Spain, rather than taking our cash. Mine is a Nationwide Flex Plus one.

And in Spain, whether or not your bank charges for cash withdrawals, you may well find that the Spanish bank whose machine it is adds a commission.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 11:00]
Holiday Euros on 11:10 - Aug 20 with 1428 viewsse20blue

Lots of good advice here
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/
Login to get fewer ads

Holiday Euros on 11:12 - Aug 20 with 1426 viewsLeoMuff

Get a Revolut card

I think Revolut and Currensea as the two best, I had a Currensea card this year, was very good.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Holiday Euros on 11:42 - Aug 20 with 1410 viewsDaninthecampo

Holiday Euros on 14:12 - Aug 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm kind of hoping that folding is acceptable. Or is this card widely usable in atms?

Revolut can be used at any atm,although there is a fees free cash limit depending on which card you have
Much better exchange rates than a normal bank
Holiday Euros on 12:15 - Aug 20 with 1376 viewsblueasfook

Get a Revolut card

This.

Used revolut card on holiday last year. No fees on transactions and you get the interbank exchange rate which is a bit better than you'll get using your bank issued debit card. I think you can have one free ATM withdrawal a month with the basic card.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Holiday Euros on 12:21 - Aug 20 with 1355 viewsbluefunk

Get one of these

Chase Current account, Halifax Clarity Credit card - allo cash withdrawals, interbank rate on purchases abroad, make sure you pay the credit card off immediately
Currensea card - also interbank rate, linked to your own current account
Revolut card - preload almost interbank rate when you load, spend as per debit card, not so good for cash withdrawals
Holiday Euros on 12:30 - Aug 20 with 1343 viewsLord_Lucan

Use ATM over there

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Holiday Euros on 14:27 - Aug 20 with 1274 viewsjontysnut

Holiday Euros on 14:13 - Aug 19 by WicklowBlue

Open a wise account and get their travel card.

I've got one - can by pay by card in local currency and get cash out, and manage it all via the app
Holiday Euros on 14:35 - Aug 20 with 1267 viewsbelgablue

Get a Revolut card

Another uppie for revolut - have used them or transferwise for years.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Holiday Euros on 15:16 - Aug 20 with 1222 viewsBathBlue

Open a Starling Bank account. You can use the card worldwide with no fees and Mastercard’s exchange rate. I use the card everywhere we go to withdraw cash and on Apple Pay etc.
Holiday Euros on 15:20 - Aug 20 with 1209 viewsDJR

Holiday Euros on 10:57 - Aug 20 by DJR

Assuming no hidden charges, I always find the best rate is achieved by using a debit card to pay for things in Spain, rather than taking our cash. Mine is a Nationwide Flex Plus one.

And in Spain, whether or not your bank charges for cash withdrawals, you may well find that the Spanish bank whose machine it is adds a commission.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 11:00]

And certainly in Spain (and probably elsewhere in Europe), if asked at a supermarket or restaurant in the course of a card transaction to opt for Euros or Pounds, always opt for Euros.
Holiday Euros on 16:47 - Aug 20 with 1161 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Make sure you send in your order by fax as well.
Holiday Euros on 17:57 - Aug 20 with 1102 viewsmylittletown

Holiday Euros on 15:16 - Aug 20 by BathBlue

Open a Starling Bank account. You can use the card worldwide with no fees and Mastercard’s exchange rate. I use the card everywhere we go to withdraw cash and on Apple Pay etc.

Yes, Starling are brilliant. On my recent holiday, I found that Spanish banks were charging a hefty transaction fee at ATMs, so I just stuck everything on the Starling Card.
Holiday Euros on 19:56 - Aug 20 with 1010 viewsJackNorthStand

A lot of bank accounts that charge a monthly fee charge no fees for abroad transactions and give you the best rate. Something else to look at is a Revolut account that works the same as the above or as mentioned a credit card but just make sure it is one that doesn't charge a fee which many do not.

Oh and when abroad if given the choice to pay in pounds or euros always choose euros. The transactions rate will almost always be worse than what your bank / card will give you.

Hope this helps.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 20:02]
Holiday Euros on 20:00 - Aug 20 with 1005 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Holiday Euros on 16:47 - Aug 20 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Make sure you send in your order by fax as well.

You may be thoroughly modern but that doesn't make you clever!

Holiday Euros on 23:46 - Aug 20 with 924 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Holiday Euros on 20:00 - Aug 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

You may be thoroughly modern but that doesn't make you clever!

Well actually I’m a little concerned with just how cashless society has become. That said the idea of converting your currency in notes before a trip is rather dated. My bank/cc company doesn’t even allow you to set up travel alerts these days. Usually you’ve got a hotel guaranteed with it, or a flight ticket purchased with it. My FF number linked to my cc basically allows my financial institutions to know where I am any given week, which on the face of it is a bit scary but very good for fraud purposes.

Anyway a simple google can let you know there is an entire plethora of cards out there where you don’t have to pay foreign exchange rates / will get you best rate if the day etc. Even better you can earn plenty of points towards future trips if you do it often enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024