Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That didn't take long then... 21:12 - Sep 7 with 1329 viewsMedwayTractor

Billy Reed was the first Town player to be capped for his country, playing for Wales in 1954 against Yugoslavia and then just once more. In the 67 years since then, 9 other Town players, Cyril Lea, Mick Hill, Geraint Williams, Gavin Williams, Lewis Price, Wes Burns and Nathan Broadhead, plus 2 loanees, Tom Lawrence and Jonathan Williams, have played for Wales.

Before tonight, the highest number of caps awarded to any of them, as Town players, is 4 each for Wes Burns and Nathan Broadhead.

Broadhead has overtaken them all tonight, with his 5th cap and (I think) his first start, all in not much more than 6 months, since his substitute appearance (and debut goal) against Croatia on 25th March this year.

Stop Press: Wes gets his 5th cap as well!

Congrats to them both.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

That didn't take long then... on 01:54 - Sep 8 with 1159 viewsSharkey

Who kept Geraint Williams out of the Wales team? If I'd had to guess, I'd have thought he'd have had about 20 caps. Not because he was a world-beater, but because I don't remember Wales being great at the time, and because he'd definitely turn up if selected. Maybe Clayton Blackmore was one, playing out of position.

Of course it's very much easier to get a cap in these days of multiple substitutions, especially if you play up front somewhere. Eric Gates got two caps for England, but I wonder how many England squads he was in. (About ten I guess, and with the current rules I reckon playing where he did he'd have had a good chance of getting on the pitch more often than not.)
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 2:08]
That didn't take long then... on 06:58 - Sep 8 with 1042 viewsPlums

Good stuff. I assume you're only considering players who have played for Wales whilst playing for Town because Kiefer Moore and Emyr Huws are obviously both full internationals too.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

That didn't take long then... on 07:58 - Sep 8 with 933 viewsElephantintheRoom

It’s got more to do with the plethora of matches and absurd number of substitutes used nowadays. Wales used six subs last night. Quite difficult not to get a cap under such circumstances.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

That didn't take long then... on 08:10 - Sep 8 with 925 viewsHerbivore

That didn't take long then... on 07:58 - Sep 8 by ElephantintheRoom

It’s got more to do with the plethora of matches and absurd number of substitutes used nowadays. Wales used six subs last night. Quite difficult not to get a cap under such circumstances.

You're right, we shouldn't really count international caps anymore. I've got 10 and I don't even play professionally.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That didn't take long then... on 08:16 - Sep 8 with 916 viewsVic

That didn't take long then... on 01:54 - Sep 8 by Sharkey

Who kept Geraint Williams out of the Wales team? If I'd had to guess, I'd have thought he'd have had about 20 caps. Not because he was a world-beater, but because I don't remember Wales being great at the time, and because he'd definitely turn up if selected. Maybe Clayton Blackmore was one, playing out of position.

Of course it's very much easier to get a cap in these days of multiple substitutions, especially if you play up front somewhere. Eric Gates got two caps for England, but I wonder how many England squads he was in. (About ten I guess, and with the current rules I reckon playing where he did he'd have had a good chance of getting on the pitch more often than not.)

I’d forgotten that Gatesy got England caps.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

That didn't take long then... on 08:53 - Sep 8 with 869 viewsSwansea_Blue

That didn't take long then... on 06:58 - Sep 8 by Plums

Good stuff. I assume you're only considering players who have played for Wales whilst playing for Town because Kiefer Moore and Emyr Huws are obviously both full internationals too.

It’s only for footballers, which is why Moore is excluded

Yes, you’re quite right. Whilst at Town only.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That didn't take long then... on 08:59 - Sep 8 with 845 viewsPique

Wales had Giggs, Speed, Rush, Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders at the time, so they weren't exactly bad! Travesty that they didn't qualify for a tournament really (the Paul Bodin penalty v Romania...)

From memory it was Barry Horne (Everton) and Dave Phillips (Norwich/Forest) who kept Geraint out of the side most of the time.

Them and a certain Jeremy Goss...
That didn't take long then... on 09:25 - Sep 8 with 809 viewsfarkenhell

Didn't Les Tibbett (sp?) play for Wales whilst he was an Ipswich reserve?
Login to get fewer ads

That didn't take long then... on 09:43 - Sep 8 with 762 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Uhmm... off the top of my head.. they had some okay midfielders in the 90s... with one outstanding player in Giggs

Vinny Jones
Gary Speed
Ryan Giggs
Robbie Savage
Kevin Ratcliff
David Phillips
That didn't take long then... on 09:44 - Sep 8 with 757 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We have two Home Nations internationals with 10 caps between them while playing for Town. When was the last time that happened? Berra with Scotland?
That didn't take long then... on 09:45 - Sep 8 with 753 viewsMedwayTractor

That didn't take long then... on 09:25 - Sep 8 by farkenhell

Didn't Les Tibbett (sp?) play for Wales whilst he was an Ipswich reserve?

Yes, twice, but at U21 level only.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

That didn't take long then... on 09:56 - Sep 8 with 732 viewsKeno

That didn't take long then... on 08:10 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

You're right, we shouldn't really count international caps anymore. I've got 10 and I don't even play professionally.

Do French Caps count?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

That didn't take long then... on 12:58 - Sep 8 with 638 viewsSharkey

That didn't take long then... on 09:43 - Sep 8 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Uhmm... off the top of my head.. they had some okay midfielders in the 90s... with one outstanding player in Giggs

Vinny Jones
Gary Speed
Ryan Giggs
Robbie Savage
Kevin Ratcliff
David Phillips

As you say, some big names there, - though I must admit I cannot remember what David Phillips looked like. I see now that Geraint did actually get 13 caps in total ( most of them while at Derby), so not too shabby.
That didn't take long then... on 14:24 - Sep 8 with 576 viewsMisterBlue

That didn't take long then... on 09:56 - Sep 8 by Keno

Do French Caps count?

Maybe a few Dutch caps aswell 😉
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 14:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024