Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead 05:25 - Sep 27 with 2166 viewsStuartSlater

That side was just phenomenal.....

Poll: Craig Bellamy - Bell end or Misunderstood

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 07:47 - Sep 27 with 2016 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Burley played a 3-5-2, which compensates for a lack of pace in that defence. But Mowbray, McGreal and Venus were a very strong unit. Venus had a great left foot, and McGreal was good on the ball, but neither were asked to invite the press like our current line up.

Gary Croft was arguably the weakest player, but Burley often preferred him to Wilnis that season, if I remember right.

I would go for Davis over Clapham, who Burley replaced as soon as he had some money.

In a 3-5-2 there is a case for Burns over Croft.

Holland, Wright and Magilton versus Morsy and Luongo is interesting. Holland has to get straight in, not least because he was a ball-winning, box-to-box Midfielder who didn't pick up suspensions. Either Morsy or Luongo alongside him would be very good. Evans is probably closer in style to Wright, with a more progressive range of passing, and both not having as much bite as the others, but Wright did it at higher levels.

Holland looked at home in a World Cup, so he is the first name on the sheet in Midfield.

The most difficult decision is over Jermaine Wright. The question is whether he is an attacking midfielder or one of a three. You could play Magilton as the most progressive of a three, with Holland and Morsy behind, or Chaplin or Broadhead as a conventional Number 10, with those two sitting. Or Reuser...

I will go for Morsy and Magilton, though, with Holland. Those three together would win plenty of the ball for the attackers, and always be available to retain it and circulate it. And Jim's hattrick...

Scowcroft or Naylor played the target man role. I personally think Scowcroft is hugely under-rated and the forgotten man of the Burley era. He made so many goals for David Johnson and Marcus Stewart. Hirst is possibly even more technical than Scowie, and certainly than Naylor. And a better finisher. Close on Hirst v Scowie, but he is ahead of Naylor (even though he saved his best game for the most important match of his career).

Stewart is the first attacker in the team. No question. And Burley liked a target man. Scowie, just ahead of Hirst.

The question is "Who gets in Burley's team?" which assumes 3-5-2. If it was "Which 2000/01 players get in McKenna's team?" then the answers would be different because they would be asked to play a different way.

I would say Davis and Burns as Wing Backs.
Morsy over Wright in midfield alongside Holland and Magilton.

If it was "Who gets in McKenna's team from the 2000/01 squad?" then the answers might be different. Inviting the high press, ball played out from the back. And work-rate a priority for attackers.

And a flexible 4-2-3-1

Wright in goal.

Davis over Clapham.
Possibly Wilnis would suit the system over Croft and Clarke.

McGreal and Venus at Centre Back. Late era Mowbray would not be your first choice in this system. Harsh on Woolfy and Cam.

Only 2 central midfielders. Holland and Morsy, I think. Either Luongo or Magilton would look great alongside Holland in this system, but Wright would not be as assertive as Morsy.

You can't have Marcus Stewart available and not play him, can you? So Scowcroft, Hirst, Naylor and Ladappo, all natural target men, are out.

So three number 10 positions. Broadhead, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson, Reuser. In this system I would go Broadhead, Magilton, Hutchinson. But it feels wrong to leave out Chaplin.

The alternative would be to have Scowcroft up top, Stewart for Broadhead and Chaplin for Magilton.
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 08:02 - Sep 27 with 1945 viewsBondiBlue

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 07:47 - Sep 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

Burley played a 3-5-2, which compensates for a lack of pace in that defence. But Mowbray, McGreal and Venus were a very strong unit. Venus had a great left foot, and McGreal was good on the ball, but neither were asked to invite the press like our current line up.

Gary Croft was arguably the weakest player, but Burley often preferred him to Wilnis that season, if I remember right.

I would go for Davis over Clapham, who Burley replaced as soon as he had some money.

Holland, Wright and Magilton versus Morsy and Luongo is interesting. Holland has to get straight in, not least because he was a ball-winning, box-to-box Midfielder who didn't pick up suspensions. Either Morsy or Luongo alongside him would be very good. Evans is probably closer in style to Wright, with a more progressive range of passing, and both not having as much bite as the others, but Wright did it at higher levels.

Holland looked at home in a World Cup, so he is the first name on the sheet in Midfield.

The most difficult decision is over Jermaine Wright. The question is whether he is an attacking midfielder or one of a three. You could play Magilton as the most progressive of a three, with Holland and Morsy behind, or Chaplin or Broadhead as a conventional Number 10, with those two sitting. Or Reuser...

I will go for Morsy and Magilton, though, with Holland. Those three together would win plenty of the ball for the attackers, and always be available to retain it and circulate it. And Jim's hattrick...

Scowcroft or Naylor played the target man role. I personally think Scowcroft is hugely under-rated and the forgotten man of the Burley era. He made so many goals for David Johnson and Marcus Stewart. Hirst is possibly even more technical than Scowie, and certainly than Naylor. And a better finisher. Close on Hirst v Scowie, but he is ahead of Naylor (even though he saved his best game for the most important match of his career).

Stewart is the first attacker in the team. No question. And Burley liked a target man. Scowie, just ahead of Hirst.

The question is "Who gets in Burley's team?" which assumes 3-5-2. If it was "Which 2000/01 players get in McKenna's team?" then the answers would be different because they would be asked to play a different way.

If it was "Who gets in McKenna's team from the 2000/01 squad?" then the answers might be different. Inviting the high press, ball played out from the back. And work-rate a priority for attackers.

And a flexible 4-2-3-1

Wright in goal.

Davis over Clapham.

McGreal and Venus at Centre Back. Late era Mowbray would not be your first choice in this system. Harsh on Woolfy and Cam.

Only 2 central midfielders. Holland and Morsy, I think. Either Luongo or Magilton would look great alongside Holland in this system, but Wright would not be as assertive as Morsy.

You can't have Marcus Stewart available and not play him, can you? So Scowcroft, Hirst, Naylor and Ladappo, all natural target men, are out.

So three number 10 positions. Broadhead, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson, Reuser. In this system I would go Broadhead, Magilton, Hutchinson. But it feels wrong to leave out Chaplin.

The alternative would be to have Scowcroft up top, Stewart for Broadhead and Chaplin for Magilton.

I'm glad we've finally got some evidence of the current team playing in the championship.

Magilton sat deep so he wouldn't be a ten. Stewart was a brilliant goalscorer but wouldn't suit mckenna's system. Saying that, i'm sure mckenna would find a way to tweak it for him. Reuser and broadhead rotating in mckenna's 4231 would be fun!

I actually think mckenna would love jermaine wright. Very fit, good passer. Not sure he'd be such a huge fan of magic - couldn't press with him in midfield. He'd also be a big fan of clapham for the same reason - fitness. Clapham's crossing was also better than davis.

How about an alternate question - which manager would do better with the other one's squad?

Poll: Which would you accept?

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 08:40 - Sep 27 with 1816 viewstractorboy1978

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 08:02 - Sep 27 by BondiBlue

I'm glad we've finally got some evidence of the current team playing in the championship.

Magilton sat deep so he wouldn't be a ten. Stewart was a brilliant goalscorer but wouldn't suit mckenna's system. Saying that, i'm sure mckenna would find a way to tweak it for him. Reuser and broadhead rotating in mckenna's 4231 would be fun!

I actually think mckenna would love jermaine wright. Very fit, good passer. Not sure he'd be such a huge fan of magic - couldn't press with him in midfield. He'd also be a big fan of clapham for the same reason - fitness. Clapham's crossing was also better than davis.

How about an alternate question - which manager would do better with the other one's squad?

I'd be interested in other people's opinions on this, but was discussing with a couple of mates last night how the fitness and physical requirements feel like they are in a different stratosphere now from 1999-2001?
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:09 - Sep 27 with 1746 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 08:02 - Sep 27 by BondiBlue

Magilton usually sat deep, in the Xabi Alonso or Xavi type role feeding the more mobile players ahead.

But he didn't against Bolton in the Play Off Semi. I would argue that demonstrates that he can do a job as the attacking midfielder or central number 10!
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:17 - Sep 27 with 1702 viewsDarkBrandon

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:09 - Sep 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

Magilton usually sat deep, in the Xabi Alonso or Xavi type role feeding the more mobile players ahead.

But he didn't against Bolton in the Play Off Semi. I would argue that demonstrates that he can do a job as the attacking midfielder or central number 10!

This is a fascinating thread.

Magiltons weakness was his lack of mobility and pace. He could run a game back then - he was a transformative signing - but the game has moved on (see also box-to-box midfielders and pacey, but limited strikers). There is no way he could play further forward now, or then. He referred to Holland as “his legs”. Possibly as a younger player, before we saw him.
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:20 - Sep 27 with 1691 viewsAsa

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 07:47 - Sep 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

And a flexible 4-2-3-1

Wright in goal.

Davis over Clapham.

The issue with this exercise is that I feel people are remembering that Championship side as that Premier League side.

Clapham was incredibly denied an England call up despite being fully deserving of one. That was based on how he adapted to the Premier League. He was great in the Championship but no better than Davis currently looks now.

Holland, Magilton, Stewart all walk into this team because they ended up finishing 5th in the Premier League. If you judge our players solely on how good they looked in the second tier they weren't that much, if any better than the individuals we have now.

The only way this could be fairly re-assessed was if this lot got up and threatened the Champions League!

I remember going into 2000/01 and thinking we'd get nowhere with Naylor, Scowcroft, Wright, Venus, Clapham, Croft etc and it was probably only Wright, Stewart, Holland and maybe Magilton who were potentially going to be half decent Premier League players.

The reality is that even Naylor looked a very good Premier League striker in large spells, whilst David Johnson, one of the best Championship strikers for years prior, couldn't cut it and never made the step up ay any other club either.

I reckon if you could transport yourself from now back to September 1999 you'd find a mix of the two sides would be far more even.
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:20 - Sep 27 with 1688 viewsDarkBrandon

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 08:40 - Sep 27 by tractorboy1978

I'd be interested in other people's opinions on this, but was discussing with a couple of mates last night how the fitness and physical requirements feel like they are in a different stratosphere now from 1999-2001?

Yes, this is completely true. The game has progressed hugely in recent years, and the pace of advance has increased too.

Go back a few years before that and think of how Micky Stockwell played. He was a good player - don’t get me wrong - but his big strength was his stamina. He was always running, either looking for the ball or creating space. A real “100%” player.

You don’t get players like that now, because that level of fitness is expected from everybody.
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:26 - Sep 27 with 1669 viewsBigCommon

And a flexible 4-2-3-1

Wright in goal.

Davis over Clapham.

I always thought Burley liked Clapham?.. From memory (and i coukld be wrong). But didn't Clapham move onto Birmingham when we were on the slide?.. I'm sure Burley described him as an exemplary professional? For that reason, he may well have fitted in nicely to a KM squad...
Would love to see Holland in this team. What a leader and player and ultimate professional he was/is. Think hed fit seamlessly into our midfield and push the others to be even better.
Might also go for Richard Wright in goal.
Love our current squad, and don't like outing anyone. But as the question was asked in the OP, then Holland and R.Wright, and a squad place for Bam Bam as a 60 minute sub to come on and put himself about, would be nice.
Login to get fewer ads

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 12:16 - Sep 27 with 1465 viewsBondiBlue

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:26 - Sep 27 by BigCommon

I always thought Burley liked Clapham?.. From memory (and i coukld be wrong). But didn't Clapham move onto Birmingham when we were on the slide?.. I'm sure Burley described him as an exemplary professional? For that reason, he may well have fitted in nicely to a KM squad...
Would love to see Holland in this team. What a leader and player and ultimate professional he was/is. Think hed fit seamlessly into our midfield and push the others to be even better.
Might also go for Richard Wright in goal.
Love our current squad, and don't like outing anyone. But as the question was asked in the OP, then Holland and R.Wright, and a squad place for Bam Bam as a 60 minute sub to come on and put himself about, would be nice.

To answer the OP, you're looking for playaers from our current team to displace players from this team and formation:

Gk - richard wright

Rcb - mcgreal
Cb - mowbray
Lcb - venus

Rwb - wilnis
Lwb - clapham

Cm - magilton
Cm - holland

Am - scowcroft

St - stewart
St - johnson

Davis could force his way in ahead of clapham. Burns maybe for wilnis but mcgreal would be very exposed. You'd have to drop mcgreal as well and put wolfie there because he's a lot quicker. Hard to say who morsy would displace in that midfield. Even though chaplin and broadhead are both really good, you have to remember scowie was POTY that season, so he's not getting dropped. Hirst for johnson maybe because stewart and johnno really didn't work as a pair.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 15:01 - Sep 27 with 1268 viewsDinnernotTea

Absolutely none in my opinion. What you've got to remember is most of that squad finished top 6 time and again in the second tier then finished 5th in the Prem. Right now we finished 2nd in L1. In 3 years who knows but I wouldn't swap a single one of the class of 2000.

Ditto Burley, from 1996 - 2001 absolutely outrageous by him which McKenna hasn't achieved yet (I'm certain he will given time the same 5 year period so 2023 - 2028 at the same level).

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 15:05 - Sep 27 with 1250 viewsitfcjoe

I wonder if you would play Stewart in the Chaplin role -finding space in and around the edge of the box with someone ahead of him dragging the defenders around for him to take advantage of

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 15:10 - Sep 27 with 1229 viewsSteve_M

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 09:20 - Sep 27 by DarkBrandon

Yes, this is completely true. The game has progressed hugely in recent years, and the pace of advance has increased too.

Go back a few years before that and think of how Micky Stockwell played. He was a good player - don’t get me wrong - but his big strength was his stamina. He was always running, either looking for the ball or creating space. A real “100%” player.

You don’t get players like that now, because that level of fitness is expected from everybody.

I think this is one thing people didn't generally realise when MM was here, the Championship a decade ago wasn't the same league as in the late 90s as the level of physicality was so much greater. He didn't have the budget to create a side that could play football and compete and without him we did neither. That speaks highly of how good our coaching and systematic approach has been under McK.

Go back and watch clips of 91-92 and it's like a different sport in this division, the pace of the game is so much slower.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 15:14 - Sep 27 with 1211 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 15:05 - Sep 27 by itfcjoe

I wonder if you would play Stewart in the Chaplin role -finding space in and around the edge of the box with someone ahead of him dragging the defenders around for him to take advantage of

Always thought that would be the set up with DJ and MS but actually we were probably more effective once DJ had gone and with a Scowie, Naylor (or Armstrong), Stewart setup... Football was different then I guess.
Would any of the current team get into our 00/01 team ... for me Broadhead on 15:24 - Sep 27 with 1179 viewschicoazul

The absolute state of some of these replies.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024