Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parachute Payments... 08:26 - Oct 6 with 5193 viewsBlueBoots

...just checked out of curiousity, and didn't realise how ridiculous they've become (teams relegated last year will receive £44million in 2023-24, £36million in 2024-25 and £16million in 2025-26)

That sort of money is an insane advantage in this division, both in terms of spending power on new players, and the wages they can pay. I think relegated teams should have the option of how much they receive in parachute payments at the start the season, but at a penalty...a one point deduction for every £4m they accept (which would mean if teams relegated last season chose to accept the full amount, they would start the season on -11 points in 2023-24, -9 points in 2024-25 and -4 points in 2025-26) So as an example, Leeds could have chosen to start this season with a £24m payment rather than £44m, but start the season on -6 points. Any money the relegated clubs don't claim would be divided equally between the other 21 clubs in the division.

Obviously never going to happen, but would make for a much more level playing field at the start of the season and reduce the number of clubs yo-yoing between the divisions more from financial advantage rather than being particularly well run, and encourage teams who are promoted to run their clubs in a more sustainable way rather than just throwing money at staying in the Prem. That's my 2p's worth...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Parachute Payments... on 08:35 - Oct 6 with 4215 viewsEssexBloo

How many Championship sides received a payment this year? I assume Nodge still received a decent amount?
Parachute Payments... on 08:37 - Oct 6 with 4168 viewsFrimleyBlue

I just feel if a relegated club sells a player. That figure comes off their parachute entitlement.

Why should you get 20 mill for a player. Spend 20 mill on another or a combination of 2 players and still get parachute payments on top.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Parachute Payments... on 08:40 - Oct 6 with 4165 viewsBlueBoots

Parachute Payments... on 08:35 - Oct 6 by EssexBloo

How many Championship sides received a payment this year? I assume Nodge still received a decent amount?

As it's Norwich's second season in the division after relegation, they would have received something close to (as it seems to increase every year) the second figure (£36m)...

EDIT: Your first question will need a bit more research on my part
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:41]

Parachute Payments... on 08:42 - Oct 6 with 4145 viewsdavblue

Parachute Payments... on 08:37 - Oct 6 by FrimleyBlue

I just feel if a relegated club sells a player. That figure comes off their parachute entitlement.

Why should you get 20 mill for a player. Spend 20 mill on another or a combination of 2 players and still get parachute payments on top.

why would a club then choose to sell a player?

Different if the player is desperate to leave#, but i feel like clubs would hold onto players.
Parachute Payments... on 08:46 - Oct 6 with 4099 viewsMookamoo

Totally agree. Even the payments should be part loans, not just a set amount, maybe linked to their FFP status.

Forest only just survived last year by spending a ridiculous amount of money. If they had gone down, they would have had some serious assets to sell plus a wod of cash
Parachute Payments... on 08:47 - Oct 6 with 4068 viewsFrimleyBlue

Parachute Payments... on 08:42 - Oct 6 by davblue

why would a club then choose to sell a player?

Different if the player is desperate to leave#, but i feel like clubs would hold onto players.

Various reasons.

Players has 1 year left of contract
Player has relegation release clause
Player wants out and puts pressure on management
Player has crazy wage and no agreement to reduce it

Or the other alternative
Sell a player at 20 Mill. 25% can go towards a signing. The other swallowed up as wave cover and taken off parachute earnings... so if you have lost a few players and need to replace them you have to sell to do so. But without the added benefit of knowing you can spend what ever you get in without any issues.

Just something different to what it is now. As it's not right imo that you have such an advantage after being relegated. Relegation should be a problem no matter what level.

Waka waka eh eh

Parachute Payments... on 08:47 - Oct 6 with 4099 viewsMeltonBlue

I’m fully expecting if and when we get promoted, that parachute payments will then be scrapped so that if we get relegated we don’t have this advantage..
Parachute Payments... on 08:50 - Oct 6 with 4086 viewsBlueBoots

Parachute Payments... on 08:35 - Oct 6 by EssexBloo

West Brom 3rd relegated season
Watford, Norwich 2nd relegated season
Leicester, Leeds, Southampton 1st relegated season

So looking at about £220m split between those 6 clubs as a reward for failure

I'm guessing at the moment Watford would be grateful they didn't decide to take a points deduction if that was on the table...

Login to get fewer ads

Parachute Payments... on 08:54 - Oct 6 with 4054 viewsBlueBoots

Parachute Payments... on 08:47 - Oct 6 by MeltonBlue

I’m fully expecting if and when we get promoted, that parachute payments will then be scrapped so that if we get relegated we don’t have this advantage..

...or Sky Sports to go the way of ITV Digital so there's no money for anyone!

Parachute Payments... on 08:55 - Oct 6 with 4039 viewsGeoffSentence

Parachute Payments... on 08:40 - Oct 6 by BlueBoots

As it's Norwich's second season in the division after relegation, they would have received something close to (as it seems to increase every year) the second figure (£36m)...

EDIT: Your first question will need a bit more research on my part
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:41]

Also their last year of PP. They need to get promoted this year or they will be slumming it with us plebs.*

*Disclaimer: Although probably not us as our 100 points 100 goals should see us to promotion

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Parachute Payments... on 08:56 - Oct 6 with 4024 viewsFixed_It

Yep.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Parachute Payments... on 08:57 - Oct 6 with 3995 viewsFrimleyBlue

Parachute Payments... on 08:55 - Oct 6 by GeoffSentence

Also their last year of PP. They need to get promoted this year or they will be slumming it with us plebs.*

*Disclaimer: Although probably not us as our 100 points 100 goals should see us to promotion

So their Sara will be their version of maddison of which player can they sell to save the club..

Tough 2nd half season for them when he's sold in Jan.

Waka waka eh eh

Parachute Payments... on 09:00 - Oct 6 with 4001 viewsBseaBlue

Parachute Payments... on 08:50 - Oct 6 by BlueBoots

I'm guessing at the moment Watford would be grateful they didn't decide to take a points deduction if that was on the table...

Thats utter bullsh1t isnt it. The teams that are careful and pocket the money of going up and coming back down again have such a huge advantage.

Maybe the league should give a leeway in the average amount (£36 million based on your calculations) of additional spend for the remaining teams in the league if they so wish to choose to spend that kind of money outside of FFP. But then, you could just see more debt, clubs going under etc.
Parachute Payments... on 09:01 - Oct 6 with 3997 viewsElderGrizzly

The EFL tried to get rid of them in the latest negotiations

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/28/premier-league-offers-efl-extra
Parachute Payments... on 09:02 - Oct 6 with 3984 viewsBlueBoots

I maybe should have mentioned Premier League prize money as well as Parachute Payments; you receive a set amount for where you finish in the division, down to a minimum of about £100m for finishing bottom.

If Norwich do end up slumming it, that's an unbelievable amount of money to have chucked away...

Parachute Payments... on 09:05 - Oct 6 with 3967 viewsGeoffSentence

Parachute Payments... on 08:50 - Oct 6 by BlueBoots

Are you sure that WBA are getting PPs? They only had one season the premier league, nowadays that would only entitle them to 2 years PPs, but I am not sure when that came in to effect.

Parachute Payments... on 09:11 - Oct 6 with 3946 viewsMookamoo

Parachute Payments... on 09:01 - Oct 6 by ElderGrizzly

The EFL tried to get rid of them in the latest negotiations

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/28/premier-league-offers-efl-extra

There must be some way of linking payments to all the football tiers and avoid another Bury FC or is that just commie talk.
Parachute Payments... on 09:13 - Oct 6 with 3942 viewsGavTWTD

I genuinely had no idea there was a third year of payments. That's really crazy.

Perhaps the whole thing should be tailored to each club's wage bill as a genuine compensation if it is REALLY about stopping clubs going to the wall.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Parachute Payments... on 09:38 - Oct 6 with 3770 viewsoldburian

Parachute Payments... on 09:05 - Oct 6 by GeoffSentence

Are you sure that WBA are getting PPs? They only had one season the premier league, nowadays that would only entitle them to 2 years PPs, but I am not sure when that came in to effect.

I think you are right that one season only entitles you to two payments of PP. Certainly the view on the Pink un is that this is their last year and they are committed to paying off loans. Hence the feeling of desperation and what might have been.
Parachute Payments... on 09:42 - Oct 6 with 3741 viewsGeoffSentence

Parachute Payments... on 09:11 - Oct 6 by Mookamoo

There must be some way of linking payments to all the football tiers and avoid another Bury FC or is that just commie talk.

You mean solidarity payments?

They already exist, I think we will get about £5M from solidarity payments, it is something like 30% of third year parachute payments for Championship teams, but there is a real drop off after that in league one and league two, something like 4.5% and 3%.

Parachute Payments... on 09:53 - Oct 6 with 3698 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a bad shout. Parachute payments were supposed to be a safety net after all, so why not effectively means test them. Or clubs can only claim for the inflated salaries element where players are still on deals signed in the PL (up to the maximum cap). Something should change, as the financial distortion is ridiculous.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Parachute Payments... on 10:42 - Oct 6 with 3587 viewsGuthrum

Parachute Payments... on 09:13 - Oct 6 by GavTWTD

I genuinely had no idea there was a third year of payments. That's really crazy.

Perhaps the whole thing should be tailored to each club's wage bill as a genuine compensation if it is REALLY about stopping clubs going to the wall.

Didn't it used to be four years, at one point? With the third and fourth payments being half the first two.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Parachute Payments... on 10:53 - Oct 6 with 3523 viewsHighgateBlue

Parachute Payments... on 08:57 - Oct 6 by FrimleyBlue

So their Sara will be their version of maddison of which player can they sell to save the club..

Tough 2nd half season for them when he's sold in Jan.

Yes I very much hope that comes to pass. He's a really really good player. Too good for that lot.
Parachute Payments... on 10:55 - Oct 6 with 3510 viewsParisBlue

It's only an advantage if the money is used well. A good example of not using it well is Stoke.

Watford and Norwich are in their final year of PPs. If they fail to go up this time they'll both struggle next year. The only other parachute teams are the 3 relegated teams, of which you'd expect all 3 to be play-offs at worst.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Parachute Payments... on 18:41 - Oct 6 with 3169 viewsBlueBoots

Bit confused myself about how many Parachute Payments Norwich are due...as they were relegated in 2019/2020 as well, it's all a bit of a mess

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024