Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? 15:37 - Oct 25 with 2232 viewsMaySixth

new to it, sure there might be a friendly expert on here, if so please DM thanks

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 15:49 - Oct 25 with 2162 viewshomer_123

It's a self assessment question - you need to answer it yourself.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 15:56 - Oct 25 with 2144 viewsEdwardStone

I generally write to them every year as follows

"To Whom It May Concern

Having seen the details of your scheme, I have deciced not to join

Your etc.

Edward Stone"
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 16:02 - Oct 25 with 2120 viewsBramidan

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 15:49 - Oct 25 by homer_123

It's a self assessment question - you need to answer it yourself.

Ask HMRC to explain to you what the question entails.
Secondly give a truthful answer!
A genuine mistake they will assist you, trying to be clever will upset the HMRC employee!
If it’s that crucial I think you should be seeking professional advice, not posting onTWTD.
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 16:06 - Oct 25 with 2089 viewsReus30

I don't have any expertise for SA but if you need to call HMRC, what I would do instead is get a bucket of nails and just jam your face in it. It's essentially the same thing as calling them as that's how you feel after 60 mins + waiting for someone to answer your call. Which they then can't help you and divert you to another number where you wait another 60 mins in a queue.
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 16:09 - Oct 25 with 2066 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 16:02 - Oct 25 by Bramidan

Ask HMRC to explain to you what the question entails.
Secondly give a truthful answer!
A genuine mistake they will assist you, trying to be clever will upset the HMRC employee!
If it’s that crucial I think you should be seeking professional advice, not posting onTWTD.

I've generally found HMRC to be helpful, as long as you are honest with them.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 16:11 - Oct 25 with 2043 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 16:59 - Oct 25 with 1950 viewsTrequartista

“I’ve got nothing to hide. Search me! Oh that’s Customs and Excise isn’t it.”

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:27 - Oct 25 with 1904 viewsMaySixth

I've discovered they have made a big error.

Someone at HMRC has incorrectly scanned somebody else's tax return figures into my tax return and I have been hit with a tax bill of £15,000 to pay back by Jan 31st 2024 as according to them I declared company dividends and other benefits.

It wasn't me, it wasn't on my original tax return (got a copy) they have jumbled the papers up.

I called them, took 3 hours, and uncovered the issue.

However, I got the original shock bill letter two days after they automatically sent my employer an incorrect new tax code based on the wrong figures - employer has now taken 23% of my take home bet pay from payslip.

The HMRC are not paying it back immediately despite my protestations. I have to wait for my next payslip, despite them taking it from me immediately and incorrectly which is scandalous.

Plus the fact I have a shortfall to pay bills, repayments and feed the family etc

Official complaint in and I wait but I think it should be escalated
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 17:30]

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:38 - Oct 25 with 1843 viewsMedwayTractor

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:27 - Oct 25 by MaySixth

Someone at HMRC has incorrectly scanned somebody else's tax return figures into my tax return and I have been hit with a tax bill of £15,000 to pay back by Jan 31st 2024 as according to them I declared company dividends and other benefits.

It wasn't me, it wasn't on my original tax return (got a copy) they have jumbled the papers up.

However, I got the original shock bill letter two days after they automatically sent my employer an incorrect new tax code based on the wrong figures - employer has now taken 23% of my take home bet pay from payslip.

The HMRC are not paying it back immediately despite my protestations. I have to wait for my next payslip, despite them taking it from me immediately and incorrectly which is scandalous.

Plus the fact I have a shortfall to pay bills, repayments and feed the family etc

Get your MP involved, There's nothing like a complaint letter on House of Commons notepaper to concentrate the minds of civil servants. I should know, I worked on a branch (not as a taxman) of the Revenue many years ago.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:51 - Oct 25 with 1797 viewsDBaldy

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:27 - Oct 25 by MaySixth

Flipping heck! I had a bit of a nasty surprise a couple of years ago, maybe due to my own lack of knowledge/naivety after being lucky enough to get a significant promotion and pay rise a few years earlier, but had to pay back over £4k to HMRC in total.

Think I'd have shat myself if I'd received your letter though!
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:53 - Oct 25 with 1774 viewsmutters

Whilst no expert,.I've been filling in SA forms for the last 20 years. All depends on what your query is.

I've generally found HRMC very helpful and happy to help ONCE you get through to them.

The only annoying thing Ive had with them is that one year they owed me money and sent the cheque to the wrong address (my old one). I had to wait 26 weeks before they would reissue it!! Which they did but waiting 6 months is just archaic

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 19:41 - Oct 25 with 1587 viewsmonkeymagic

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 17:38 - Oct 25 by MedwayTractor

Get your MP involved, There's nothing like a complaint letter on House of Commons notepaper to concentrate the minds of civil servants. I should know, I worked on a branch (not as a taxman) of the Revenue many years ago.

In my experience, CC’ing your local MP in correspondence certainly does help to at least speed up the process.
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 19:46 - Oct 25 with 1570 viewsBloomBlue

The answer is £0

That answer never fails
Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 13:40 - Oct 26 with 1441 viewsMaySixth

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 19:46 - Oct 25 by BloomBlue

The answer is £0

That answer never fails

Thanks all.

Anyone on here able to answer an HMRC self-assessment question? on 19:03 - Oct 26 with 1315 viewsRyorry

Last year I used & filed succssfully & easily with an outfit called "Go Simple Tax", which was recommended by 'Which?' (the respected consumer mag). For c£15 iirc, they took all the hassle out of it - all you have to do is feed in your figures & they do the rest.

Part of the reason I found it so easy with them was that they made it absolutely clear which sections of the forms I did need to fill in, and which ones I didn't - that had always been the main headache for me, as the additional rental property form is aimed more at big businesses than individuals like me with just the one property let out.

https://www.gosimpletax.com/

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024