Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never thought I would 07:49 - Nov 2 with 2287 viewsonceablue

say this but on last nights showing Hladky definitely No 1

His position to loose

Ladapo is also a strange one whenever he starts he looks poor but off the Bench can play and I am sure will continue to play a vital role with some vital goals

Reminds me of David Fairclough of liverpool for those old enough
Never thought I would on 11:58 - Nov 2 with 2122 viewsArnieM

Walton looks a million miles from being first choice GK in a McKenna team that plays out from the back. He’s clearly not comfortable with the ball at his feet, and his decision making last night left a lot to be desired. Some of it make be down to lack of minutes, but there were issues with his decision making on a few occasions last season (when to come for the ball etc). Last night his headless chicken advance for the first goal was ludicrous and the 3rd? Where the player shot straight at him from the SBR it looked like he’d got it covered. Next thing is it’s in the back of the net, why?

I did raise the question earlier on here (but got slammed down),should he be prepared to bench warm or would he consider a move ?) I’m not convinced he will want to play second fiddle to Hladky for the long term, but for me Hladky is the much better keeper…… We shall see.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Never thought I would on 12:02 - Nov 2 with 2110 viewsWalkyWonderland

Hard to judge Walton solely on last night and we shouldn't undervalue match sharpness. That's his first competitive football since the end of last season and his first football match of any kind I assume since early pre-season.
I agree Hladky is No.1 currently but give Walton a 2-3 game run and I'd expect to see much improved performances.
Never thought I would on 12:22 - Nov 2 with 2048 viewsScuzzer

The third goal last night...oh dear Christian.

Established 1968

Never thought I would on 12:26 - Nov 2 with 2033 viewsKieran_Knows

Never thought I would on 11:58 - Nov 2 by ArnieM

Walton looks a million miles from being first choice GK in a McKenna team that plays out from the back. He’s clearly not comfortable with the ball at his feet, and his decision making last night left a lot to be desired. Some of it make be down to lack of minutes, but there were issues with his decision making on a few occasions last season (when to come for the ball etc). Last night his headless chicken advance for the first goal was ludicrous and the 3rd? Where the player shot straight at him from the SBR it looked like he’d got it covered. Next thing is it’s in the back of the net, why?

I did raise the question earlier on here (but got slammed down),should he be prepared to bench warm or would he consider a move ?) I’m not convinced he will want to play second fiddle to Hladky for the long term, but for me Hladky is the much better keeper…… We shall see.

'from being first choice GK in a McKenna team that plays out from the back'

Talk about over egging it. He played 46 games in a team last season that spent all 46 games from playing out from the back ... and if McKenna felt like he wasn't up to it, surely he'd have signed someone else? He'd have started this season as first choice had he not got injured as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would say Hladky is better, but Walton can clearly play that way, having shown it all last season, but hey, lets not go too overboard after 1 defeat eh?!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Never thought I would on 12:39 - Nov 2 with 2015 viewsTootingTown

Never thought I would on 12:26 - Nov 2 by Kieran_Knows

Talk about over egging it. He played 46 games in a team last season that spent all 46 games from playing out from the back ... and if McKenna felt like he wasn't up to it, surely he'd have signed someone else? He'd have started this season as first choice had he not got injured as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would say Hladky is better, but Walton can clearly play that way, having shown it all last season, but hey, lets not go too overboard after 1 defeat eh?!

It's a bit of a different proposition this season though. We played from the back last season, but teams sat off us for whole part, making the ball playing GK less crucial.
This season, pretty much every team have come at us with a aggressive high press, which Vlad has brilliantly been able to pass around much more comfortably, something which Walton just isn't able to match imo.
Never thought I would on 12:42 - Nov 2 with 1997 viewsKieran_Knows

Never thought I would on 12:39 - Nov 2 by TootingTown

It's a bit of a different proposition this season though. We played from the back last season, but teams sat off us for whole part, making the ball playing GK less crucial.
This season, pretty much every team have come at us with a aggressive high press, which Vlad has brilliantly been able to pass around much more comfortably, something which Walton just isn't able to match imo.

'something which Walton just isn't able to match imo'. How do you know that, given he hasn't played a League game this season?

My point still stands, he was coming in to this season as first choice had it not been for his injury, so clearly McKenna thinks he is capable.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 12:44]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Never thought I would on 12:43 - Nov 2 with 1986 viewsFrimleyBlue

Might just be me thinking it, but i'd love to know if our stats show we play more around the back than we did last season.

We had one of the highest possession stats last season, but we controlled games whilst others sat back and defended deeply. where as this season we seem to utilise the backline more and go into our attacking phases of play in bursts.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Never thought I would on 12:44 - Nov 2 with 1981 viewshunty21

Never thought I would on 11:58 - Nov 2 by ArnieM

Clearly you werent watching last season where he was indispensable , need to stop mKing judgements on o e poor game , Hladky had many poor games in a ipswich shirt where he had no command for his area or shot stopping, give him game time or an injury and i would welcome hom bk into team no questions asked
Login to get fewer ads

Never thought I would on 12:49 - Nov 2 with 1940 viewsSwansea_Blue

Walton’s a quality keeper for us. A few weeks ago most of us would have said Walton would still be number 1, but Hladky has been immense lately. He’s so important to the way we play in a way I don’t think I’ve seen from Walton (not to the same level of calmness, anyway). There’s still not much between them, but it’s Hladky’s shirt to lose imo. Walton may have to bide his time. It’s a nice problem to have.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Never thought I would on 13:39 - Nov 2 with 1830 viewsArnieM

Never thought I would on 12:42 - Nov 2 by Kieran_Knows

'something which Walton just isn't able to match imo'. How do you know that, given he hasn't played a League game this season?

My point still stands, he was coming in to this season as first choice had it not been for his injury, so clearly McKenna thinks he is capable.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 12:44]

I know you have to allow gif match sharpness etc, but last night Walton looked fat from comfortable with the ball at his feet . He lacks confidence under pressure in that situation and plumbed gif hoofing it clear many times. He isn’t as good as Hldaky . But given the step up in level and as has been said almost all teams seem apply a high press, when would Walton be a good choice for GK ahead of Hldaky? I think the situation has moved on and away from Walton unless he can up his game ( again given how we play the ball out at this level). He’s got a fight on his hands I think , which bodes well for competition for places. And that applies throughout the team.

Never thought I would on 13:43 - Nov 2 with 1820 viewsipswichtillidie

He did but we are at a different level now and he’s playing out from the back never really got found out because not many teams pressed us high up the pitch. I think both keepers have qualities but Vaz suits are style much more and other than a huge drop in form will be the no1 this season.

Gav

Never thought I would on 13:49 - Nov 2 with 1801 viewsArnieM

Never thought I would on 12:44 - Nov 2 by hunty21

Clearly you werent watching last season where he was indispensable , need to stop mKing judgements on o e poor game , Hladky had many poor games in a ipswich shirt where he had no command for his area or shot stopping, give him game time or an injury and i would welcome hom bk into team no questions asked

Clearly you weren’t watching last night either. And it’s not based on one game. I’ve questioned Walton’s decision making last season too. Hldaky has been top dollar since he’s come in from the start of this season. His debut game was a nightmare and he didn’t get much of look in after that. People seem to forget thf big step up in level and club size he was adjusting to btw. However You seem to be making a judgement on Hldaky based on one game last season!

If we try and take emotion of the equation and just look at how each keeper plays. They have their strengths and weaknesses like any other player. Hldaky has played a pivotal role in goal thus season . He is integral to starting attacks, and I’d say his distribution, handling, kicking, is there. Occasional he doesn’t command his area but I can’t say I’ve watched him and thought bloody hell, what’s he doing there!
Walton last season was on his game making great saves, but there was serval occasions when he fluffed his lines in taking the ball out. He isn’t as good with ball to feet and that hadn’t changed.

When Hldaky came into the club I was a staunch Walton advocate, and was very nervous when Hldaky took his place this season …. But it’s now fair to say I prefer him in goal. He just seems to “ fit” the McKenna way of playing better. Time will tell I guess.

Never thought I would on 14:19 - Nov 2 with 1747 viewsSaleAway

Never thought I would on 13:39 - Nov 2 by ArnieM

I know you have to allow gif match sharpness etc, but last night Walton looked fat from comfortable with the ball at his feet . He lacks confidence under pressure in that situation and plumbed gif hoofing it clear many times. He isn’t as good as Hldaky . But given the step up in level and as has been said almost all teams seem apply a high press, when would Walton be a good choice for GK ahead of Hldaky? I think the situation has moved on and away from Walton unless he can up his game ( again given how we play the ball out at this level). He’s got a fight on his hands I think , which bodes well for competition for places. And that applies throughout the team.

but you've also got to allow for the fact that he had a completely new team playing in front of him. If they aren't providing good options for him, that's going to affect his ability to play it out. yes Hladky has been good, but a lot of that is about the ability of the back 6 to provide outlets.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Never thought I would on 14:55 - Nov 2 with 1701 viewsVaughan8

Never thought I would on 12:39 - Nov 2 by TootingTown

I think this point gets lost on people. Yes Walton was good last season, no doubt. However, he rarely got pressured, especially at PR, where teams just sat back. towards the end of the season we were destroying teams.

As we've seen this season, most games we are only winning by the odd goal, and teams definitely press us a lot more. Hladky seems to be a lot better at dealing with this.

However I agree with the other post in that we can't really judge after 1 game after a long stretch out.
Never thought I would on 15:10 - Nov 2 with 1682 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Our poorest players were probably Walton, Clarke, Donacien, Ball and Taylor last night. Some of them should be doing better against frankly a weakened Fulham side, and I don't think they made any case to be selected in the league, you can't fault the manager for that, they just didn't look up to it.
Never thought I would on 17:58 - Nov 2 with 1579 viewsArnieM

Never thought I would on 14:19 - Nov 2 by SaleAway

but you've also got to allow for the fact that he had a completely new team playing in front of him. If they aren't providing good options for him, that's going to affect his ability to play it out. yes Hladky has been good, but a lot of that is about the ability of the back 6 to provide outlets.

I hope we can all agree on , is we do have two very good keepers . Each having their own strengths / weaknesses . It’s good to have competition isn’t it…

Never thought I would on 18:54 - Nov 2 with 1532 viewsOldFart71

Goalies it seems are now part of the outfield, the are expected to both cover the defence and start attacks. The old days of booting the ball upfield and trying to get a bit of snow on the ball has gone. No doubt Hladky has the gloves over Walton on that one and whilst it's easy to blame Walton for two of the three goals and he nearly put a third into his own net from a shot he deflected on to the post it also has to be said the rest of the defence were at sixies and sevens. Putting the ball into touch when it should have been easier to pass to a team mate. But again because of a lack of midfield everytime the defence headed a ball out of our area it was picked up by a Fulham player. In reality they had almost complete control and we were chasing shadows. But then it's good that we don't get too big headed and believe we are the dogs. A fair way to go to be good enough for the Prem and the last thing I want is for us to do what we did in the Burley years. Get promoted, finish fifth and then get relegated the next season.
Never thought I would on 20:35 - Nov 2 with 1406 viewsHighgateBlue

Never thought I would on 12:22 - Nov 2 by Scuzzer

The third goal last night...oh dear Christian.

Both the first and the third were absolutely shocking, and the weird two-handed save that hit the post was disconcerting. It really was an astonishingly bad game for Walton. You've got to feel for the guy - when you're in his position, biding your time to get a chance, to have a shocker like that is unfortunate to say the least.

Let's hope it's just ring-rustiness, let's hope he can recapture his old form, and thank goodness that Hladky has been so immense this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024