Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question about that there London 12:33 - Dec 19 with 3034 viewsIllinoisblue

Anyone been to the Borough Market? Daughter saw a tik tok about it (specifically a market stall offering chocolate-dipped strawberries) and wants to visit. Worth a look?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

It’ll be total chaos…. on 16:40 - Dec 19 with 687 viewshoppy

It’ll be total chaos…. on 15:18 - Dec 19 by Illinoisblue

17th century coaching? Is Allardyce the landlord?

He's not that forward thinking.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Question about that there London on 16:41 - Dec 19 with 685 viewscrouchendyachtclub

I Like La Tua Pasta at Borough. You can but it in M&S and at farmers markets but they tend to have a bigger range and fresher stock because they get the turnover.
Question about that there London on 16:48 - Dec 19 with 661 viewssolemio

Decades ago I used to walk past Borough Market each day on the way to work. In those days it was a genuine vegetable market, not open to the public.

Oldies may remember the great boxer Henry Cooper. His family bought and sold veg there, and sometimes I saw Henry, except that I realised it was probably his twin brother. Eventually one day I saw them both chatting outside, so I had seen 'Enery!
Question about that there London on 16:58 - Dec 19 with 650 viewsvilanovablue

Our office is behind Borough Market. The food choices are staggering. Shout out to Ginger Pig whose sausage rolls are fab. I would say it does get very pricey, crammed with tourist and a bit pricey but definitely worth a visit.
Question about that there London on 17:10 - Dec 19 with 629 viewsBluespeed225

Overrated now. Victim of its 90’s success. Worth a look if you’ve never been, but as said, the surrounding pubs are alright.
Question about that there London on 17:28 - Dec 19 with 606 viewsfactual_blue

Question about that there London on 15:37 - Dec 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, they do bao buns. The clue is in the name.

I assumed that was an abbreviation for Bangers Are Overpriced

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Question about that there London on 17:37 - Dec 19 with 594 viewsArnoldMoorhen

It's a Market that has it's own cookbook.

And some of the stalls have their own cookbooks.

A really good way to get a snapshot of all the current food trends, and everyone can sample what they most like the look of.

So, in spite of the queues, a very savvy investment for a tourist who is cash rich but time poor!

If you are time rich and cash poor you could just buy your daughter a twenty quid chocolate fountain from Groupon, and she can chocolatise strawberries to her heart's content!

Or just melt some chocolate in a bowl resting on a pan of boiling water and dip fruit in that!
Question about that there London on 17:50 - Dec 19 with 588 viewsChurchman

Last had a wander round it in the summer before meeting some chums for dinner. It’s always good fun. It’s expensive if you buy anything, but you can get some unusual stuff there. I like it. As has been suggested, avoid the Market Porter. It’s very much a ‘tourist’ pub and priced accordingly.

There are plenty of pubs around there but if you want to drink just off the market, I’ve always found The Wheatsheaf ok and not far from BM is The George - real proper old 17c coaching inn. The Barrow Boy is ok for a drop of London Pride. Lots to do in that area. Plenty of places to eat on the river front too.

If you like your cathedrals Southwark, next to Borough Market, is interesting and you might even get to meet Hodge the cathedral cat!
Login to get fewer ads

Question about that there London on 22:07 - Dec 19 with 537 viewsfactual_blue

Question about that there London on 15:38 - Dec 19 by Horst3000

Chocolate dipped strawberries?

I bought my daughter some of those last wednesday here in Berlin at the Alexanderplatz Christmas Market.
6€ for three strawberries. Everytime she took a bite I was calcultaing how much it cost me...

Still it's Christmas and it made my daughter happy; in fact I even took some home for her sister and a chocolate covered banana for my son.

This has turned into quite a ramble hasn't it?

Your son's chocolate-covered banana is not an image I want to see.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Question about that there London on 09:19 - Dec 20 with 471 viewsHorst3000

Question about that there London on 22:07 - Dec 19 by factual_blue

Your son's chocolate-covered banana is not an image I want to see.

You silly sausage
Question about that there London on 12:41 - Dec 20 with 434 viewsCoastalblue

Question about that there London on 17:10 - Dec 19 by Bluespeed225

Overrated now. Victim of its 90’s success. Worth a look if you’ve never been, but as said, the surrounding pubs are alright.

Not sure I agree with that, I'm relatively local and while yes it's expensive I think it's still a decent place to visit.

If you fancy tapas there's a fabulous place on Maltby Street Market which is not far away, good tapas and some nice reds.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

It’ll be total chaos…. on 13:49 - Dec 20 with 390 viewsstonojnr

It’ll be total chaos…. on 13:11 - Dec 19 by hoppy

Or just across the road, The George is quite an interesting historic 17th century coaching inn... although it is a Greene King pub, so may not have the absolute best range of beers.

The George is a very interesting pub, good book on it here though very debateable it was Shakespeares local though Dickens certainly visited

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakespeares-Local-Centuries-History-Extraordinary/dp/0

But unbelievable to think it's barely a quarter of the size it originally was

And yes a Greene King pub, was ok last time I went, they're not restricted to GK beer alone, but there are better beer pubs nearby imo, it's worth a visit to look around the
place, they sell more lager I think so cask is left for the tourists and can be great, can be abit tired.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024