Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So given the justification made for bombing Yemen 13:48 - Jan 12 with 4505 viewsbluelagos

is essentially economic to protect trade routes, does that mean Liz and Kwazi should bunker down too?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 00:26 - Jan 13 with 752 viewsKievthegreat

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 00:06 - Jan 13 by SuperKieranMcKenna

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/01/12/france-refuse-sign-statement-s

Good explainer here on various European countries stances on the air strikes. Some directly backed the air strikes carried out by the US and UK. It’s worth pointing out most of these do not have the capability to project military power away from Europe (i.e small navies or no aircraft carriers) so logistically it would be impossible for them to be directly involved. As well as naval power (with guided missiles), the UK also has a base in Cyprus and its thought some of the aircraft involved may have flown from there.

France is probably the only other European power that could have carried out strikes but are working on mediation between Hamas and Israel and did not want to impact those talks (Hamas and the Houthi’s are both Iranian backed militants).

It was confirmed the RAF involvement was Typhoons. The only conceivable base for them to use would be Akrotiri. What's interesting abut that is Multiple Middle-eastern countries must have also given a green light to use their airspace. Likely Saudi Arabia and Egpyt.
So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 08:04 - Jan 13 with 681 viewsbracknell_blue

Sunak said they were committed to defending free trade. Hence Brexit. Oh, hang on a minute......

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 08:57 - Jan 13 with 668 viewsMercian

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 22:43 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

Why do the UK always have to act as world police though? (along with the USA obvs). Where's the UN? Where's the Parliamentary debate, let alone agreement? Why so often Tory Govts.? (OK, I'll answer the last one - cos it's often a gift to them when they're struggling in the polls & a General Election is looming).

Not in my name (again).

The two most unjustified wars this century we were involved in were under a Labour Government.
So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:16 - Jan 13 with 646 viewsGlasgowBlue

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 08:57 - Jan 13 by Mercian

The two most unjustified wars this century we were involved in were under a Labour Government.

Ryory is in campaign mode at the moment. She’s trying to lay the post office scandal at the door of the Tories. Even though Horizon was rolled out under the Labour government and they were in power when the story broke.

There is plenty to have a pop at the Tories for. Probably the worst government in my lifetime. But it becomes overreach when people try to blame them from everything from the sun not shining to Ipswich not winning in the last 5 games.

It would also be helpful if she had understood why we have had to take action against the Houthis, which I am more than happy to have done in my name.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:29 - Jan 13 with 628 viewsRyorry

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:16 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Ryory is in campaign mode at the moment. She’s trying to lay the post office scandal at the door of the Tories. Even though Horizon was rolled out under the Labour government and they were in power when the story broke.

There is plenty to have a pop at the Tories for. Probably the worst government in my lifetime. But it becomes overreach when people try to blame them from everything from the sun not shining to Ipswich not winning in the last 5 games.

It would also be helpful if she had understood why we have had to take action against the Houthis, which I am more than happy to have done in my name.

I made it abundantly clear that my attacks on the Tories over the POL sub-postmasters scandal was EXCLUSIVELY over their cover up of the issue. Indeed I took great care over numerous posts NOT to refer to the original problem as party political, as I was well aware it occurred across a time frame when all three of our main political parties had been in power.

I’ve frequently supported you on issues like antisemitism, but can see now why some people calll you disingenuous and devious in your posting.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:32 - Jan 13 with 612 viewsGlasgowBlue

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:29 - Jan 13 by Ryorry

I made it abundantly clear that my attacks on the Tories over the POL sub-postmasters scandal was EXCLUSIVELY over their cover up of the issue. Indeed I took great care over numerous posts NOT to refer to the original problem as party political, as I was well aware it occurred across a time frame when all three of our main political parties had been in power.

I’ve frequently supported you on issues like antisemitism, but can see now why some people calll you disingenuous and devious in your posting.

With all due respect, the disingenuous post was yours on this very thread which deliberately ignored Blair’s wars in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq.

I’ll leave it there.

Iron Lion Zion

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:39 - Jan 13 with 593 viewsRyorry

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:32 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

With all due respect, the disingenuous post was yours on this very thread which deliberately ignored Blair’s wars in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq.

I’ll leave it there.

Don’t judge others by yourself.

Not disingenuous by me, I’d actually genuinely forgotten about Blair. Mea culpa for sh1t memory.

Very happy to leave you there .

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 10:06 - Jan 13 with 563 viewsDJR

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 08:57 - Jan 13 by Mercian

Since Harold Wilson, it is certainly the case that the UK has followed the US into conflicts whatever the government. One thing I do sense, however, is the UK being at the forefront in recent events such as the Ukraine War and the attack on the Houthis. I may be wrong, but I put this down in part to the UK trying to proves itself as a world power following Brexit.
[Post edited 13 Jan 10:09]
Login to get fewer ads

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 10:33 - Jan 13 with 521 viewsLeaky

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 10:06 - Jan 13 by DJR

Since Harold Wilson, it is certainly the case that the UK has followed the US into conflicts whatever the government. One thing I do sense, however, is the UK being at the forefront in recent events such as the Ukraine War and the attack on the Houthis. I may be wrong, but I put this down in part to the UK trying to proves itself as a world power following Brexit.
[Post edited 13 Jan 10:09]

So its Brexit's faulty then FFS that takes the biscuit.
So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 10:51 - Jan 13 with 505 viewsGlasgowBlue

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 09:39 - Jan 13 by Ryorry

Don’t judge others by yourself.

Not disingenuous by me, I’d actually genuinely forgotten about Blair. Mea culpa for sh1t memory.

Very happy to leave you there .

I was going to leave it there but I think this needs saying. Yes you have been supportive of my posts on antisemitism. And I have come to your aid on many occasions when you felt you were being bullied by other board members.

That doesn't give either of us a free pass to not be called out for what is perceived as naked political opportunism. And I feel that the tone of your recent posts have been very much that. Some of your ByLine Times links have been tenuous at best. There was one that you posted on numerous occasions and didn't get a single reply, because even the most ardent anti nTory could see it was verging on tin foil hattery.

You shouldn't get overly sensitive if I pull you up on it. Heck, when I as the board Tory on here, back in the days of David Cameron, I was quite rightly pulled up by people I like, respect and get along with for my political opportunism.

As I said in the thread earlier, this current Tory government is the worst in living memory. But posting tenuous links and blaming them for the weather nullifies the need for real and genuine criticism.

Iron Lion Zion

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 11:15 - Jan 13 with 485 viewsjayessess

Looks fairly aimless to me. The Saudis have been dropping bombs on the Houthis since 2014 seemingly with no positive effect, not sure why this would be any different.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 11:23 - Jan 13 with 466 viewsDJR

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 10:33 - Jan 13 by Leaky

So its Brexit's faulty then FFS that takes the biscuit.

I'm not saying it's Brexit's fault, just that "Global Britain" became the mantra following Brexit, and one way of achieving that appeared to me to be for Britain to make itself relevant on the world stage by trying to punch above its weight, given it had to go it alone and had lost, for example, its voice as part of the EU.

My comment was completely neutral on whether Brexit was or was not a good thing. And I limited my comment by saying "in part" and "I may be wrong". So not sure the FFS is justified.
[Post edited 13 Jan 11:39]
So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 11:26 - Jan 13 with 456 viewsRyorry

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 10:51 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

I was going to leave it there but I think this needs saying. Yes you have been supportive of my posts on antisemitism. And I have come to your aid on many occasions when you felt you were being bullied by other board members.

That doesn't give either of us a free pass to not be called out for what is perceived as naked political opportunism. And I feel that the tone of your recent posts have been very much that. Some of your ByLine Times links have been tenuous at best. There was one that you posted on numerous occasions and didn't get a single reply, because even the most ardent anti nTory could see it was verging on tin foil hattery.

You shouldn't get overly sensitive if I pull you up on it. Heck, when I as the board Tory on here, back in the days of David Cameron, I was quite rightly pulled up by people I like, respect and get along with for my political opportunism.

As I said in the thread earlier, this current Tory government is the worst in living memory. But posting tenuous links and blaming them for the weather nullifies the need for real and genuine criticism.

"That doesn't give either of us a free pass to not be called out for what is perceived as naked political opportunism."

Whilst I agree with your general thrust on that, you are the only one being disingenuous, "over-sensitive", & using political opportunism here.

Suffice to say I have never as far as I can recall, and certainly not within the past year, linked or posted from Byline Times - I don't even read that site unless someone else happens to link it on this forum.
[Post edited 13 Jan 11:36]

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 11:30 - Jan 13 with 447 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 21:13 - Jan 12 by Kievthegreat

Weapons of Mass Destruction are definitely against international law!

If the intention is to use them as weapons of mass destruction they would be sent there as government officials.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 14:27 - Jan 13 with 374 viewsKievthegreat

So given the justification made for bombing Yemen on 11:15 - Jan 13 by jayessess

Looks fairly aimless to me. The Saudis have been dropping bombs on the Houthis since 2014 seemingly with no positive effect, not sure why this would be any different.

The difference will likely be in objective. The Saudi's want to wipe out the Houthi insurgency and restore the government forces to control. That's a very difficult task to achieve with just Airpower and a very weak government military.

Yesterday's airstrikes would appear to have the limited objective to stop the piracy, but otherwise ignore the wider struggle. It's conceivable that the Houthis will see their attacks reduced or effectively stop as they lose the capacity and capability because of the airstrikes (tactical and strategic success for the coalition), but not officially 'end their blockade' until a ceasefire is eventually agreed in Gaza and then claim a 'moral' victory.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024