Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses 18:00 - Mar 17 with 1463 viewsDJR

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/17/complex-post-brexit-tax-rules-m

The post-Brexit overhaul of alcohol taxation, which would tax drinks on alcohol by volume (ABV) rather than the type of alcohol, was brought in officially last August after being put forward by the Treasury when Rishi Sunak was chancellor. Under the plan the amount of duty paid rises by 2p for every 0.1% increase in strength.

The government acknowledged the new administrative burden for businesses and put an 18-month “easement” period in place. During this period all wines between 11.5% and 14.5% would have to pay £2.67 in tax, the 12.5% ABV duty rate.

This has prompted businesses such as Majestic Wine, which has more than 200 shops around the country, to speak out, saying it will spell higher prices and a huge administrative burden on sellers.

The wine sector has been lobbying the government to keep the easement rules in place permanently, but Gareth Davies, the exchequer secretary to the Treasury, confirmed earlier this month that it would press ahead.

“The minister demonstrated in this debate a worrying lack of understanding of our sector, suggesting that the alcohol duty system has become simpler and easier since Brexit,” said Colley. “That is simply not the case. In fact, the system in place pre-Brexit was much simpler to administer.”

The changes will lead to huge administrative costs for businesses, which will have to work out the tax due on each wine. Even small shops can sell hundreds of different wines.
[Post edited 17 Mar 18:02]
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 20:00 - Mar 17 with 1344 viewsfactual_blue

'Yeah, but none of us are racists, honestly', said every tory.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 00:12 - Mar 18 with 1262 viewsClareBlue

In Ireland, we have these taxes on alcohol content as a public health measure to increase cost to reduce consumption. It's complex for business in EU too. Or doesnthat fit the narrative.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 07:39 - Mar 18 with 1209 viewsDJR

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 00:12 - Mar 18 by ClareBlue

In Ireland, we have these taxes on alcohol content as a public health measure to increase cost to reduce consumption. It's complex for business in EU too. Or doesnthat fit the narrative.

Increasing the duty by 2p for every 0.1% increase in strength does seem to me to be unnecessarily complex, and such narrow bands don't appear to be justified on public health grounds.
[Post edited 18 Mar 7:40]
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 07:54 - Mar 18 with 1172 viewsHerbivore

But Kemi Badenoch has just been on the BBC saying how they've made life much easier for business post Brexit? Sure there's been some challenges but they've done stuff like doing away with the working time directive and some other stuff, apparently. Sadly, the BBC, according to Badenoch, is more interested in continuing to discuss last week's news about a large Tory donor saying vile racist things than it is in reporting how bloody great the Tories are. If not for the BBC pulling the wool over our eyes, we'd be able to see all the wonderful achievements of the Tory party and apparently that's what Badenoch's constituents are interested in, not whether the Tories are so morally bankrupt they'll happily accept massive donations from racists.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 08:20 - Mar 18 with 1149 viewsChurchman

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 07:54 - Mar 18 by Herbivore

But Kemi Badenoch has just been on the BBC saying how they've made life much easier for business post Brexit? Sure there's been some challenges but they've done stuff like doing away with the working time directive and some other stuff, apparently. Sadly, the BBC, according to Badenoch, is more interested in continuing to discuss last week's news about a large Tory donor saying vile racist things than it is in reporting how bloody great the Tories are. If not for the BBC pulling the wool over our eyes, we'd be able to see all the wonderful achievements of the Tory party and apparently that's what Badenoch's constituents are interested in, not whether the Tories are so morally bankrupt they'll happily accept massive donations from racists.

There’s an article in the Independent here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/warwickshire-kemi-badenoch-sme-government-

Making life easier for SMEs? She’ll be telling us next Nelson has got his eye back.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 09:40 - Mar 18 with 1107 viewsDJR

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 08:20 - Mar 18 by Churchman

There’s an article in the Independent here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/warwickshire-kemi-badenoch-sme-government-

Making life easier for SMEs? She’ll be telling us next Nelson has got his eye back.

Slightly curious that this only applies to importers, when I thought the main aim of Brexit was to boost exports. And it merely seems to be a continuation, at least so far as concerns the EU, of the system that would have applied had we remained in the EU.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 09:45 - Mar 18 with 1098 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's almost as if they're incompetent

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:07 - Mar 18 with 1018 viewsredrickstuhaart

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 07:39 - Mar 18 by DJR

Increasing the duty by 2p for every 0.1% increase in strength does seem to me to be unnecessarily complex, and such narrow bands don't appear to be justified on public health grounds.
[Post edited 18 Mar 7:40]

Add to this, the fact that they have had the effect of reducing choice and quality of beer for British consumers. 90% of cold beer is now uk brewed homogenous slop dressed up dishonestly as european.

And much of it is being reduced in abv for profit margins asuuming british beer drinkers wont notice.

See Leffe as a prime example. Ruined by abv reduction. Totally different product to what you get in the eu.
[Post edited 18 Mar 13:08]
Login to get fewer ads

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:18 - Mar 18 with 987 viewsDJR

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:07 - Mar 18 by redrickstuhaart

Add to this, the fact that they have had the effect of reducing choice and quality of beer for British consumers. 90% of cold beer is now uk brewed homogenous slop dressed up dishonestly as european.

And much of it is being reduced in abv for profit margins asuuming british beer drinkers wont notice.

See Leffe as a prime example. Ruined by abv reduction. Totally different product to what you get in the eu.

I didn't know that but I do know that Madri, which purports to be Spanish, has no connection with Spain.

This from an article I came across.

According to Ryan McLaughlin, marketing controller at Coors, Madrí’s branding is inspired by nineteenth-century Spain and ‘the progressive spirit of modern Madrid’. But let’s shatter those Spanish-soaked lager dreams: Madrí isn’t made in Madrid, as the name might suggest. It’s not made in Spain at all, for that matter. It’s actually brewed at various sites in the UK, including Yorkshire.

‘No one who comes in here from Spain has ever heard of it,’ says Haye. ‘They’ll ask: “Why has that got Madrid on it?”’ But the British lager drinkers? Lapping it up, he tells us. Every last drop.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:24 - Mar 18 with 964 viewsartsbossbeard

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:07 - Mar 18 by redrickstuhaart

The rather nice Majorca beer, Rose Blanca, is 4.8% if served to you in a frosty glass in downtown Palma yet it's been "reformulated" for the UK market and is 3.4%

EDIT: Also, has anyone been served a glass of wine from a pint bottle as yet?
[Post edited 18 Mar 13:26]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:33 - Mar 18 with 924 viewsxrayspecs

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:18 - Mar 18 by DJR

I didn't know that but I do know that Madri, which purports to be Spanish, has no connection with Spain.

According to Ryan McLaughlin, marketing controller at Coors, Madrí’s branding is inspired by nineteenth-century Spain and ‘the progressive spirit of modern Madrid’. But let’s shatter those Spanish-soaked lager dreams: Madrí isn’t made in Madrid, as the name might suggest. It’s not made in Spain at all, for that matter. It’s actually brewed at various sites in the UK, including Yorkshire.

‘No one who comes in here from Spain has ever heard of it,’ says Haye. ‘They’ll ask: “Why has that got Madrid on it?”’ But the British lager drinkers? Lapping it up, he tells us. Every last drop.

Link to the article from which the quote was taken. Mediterranean beer became trendy so all the big companies want to acquire or develop their own offering.

https://www.timeout.com/uk/food-and-drink/what-is-madri-lager-and-how-did-it-tak
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 14:20 - Mar 18 with 856 viewsredrickstuhaart

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 13:18 - Mar 18 by DJR

Asahi. Italian
San miguel uk
Moretti uk
Staropramen uk
Carlsberg uk
Amstel uk

Very hard to find genuine foreign lager in the supermarket. Budvar and urquell are worthwhile.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 16:21 - Mar 18 with 766 viewsDJR

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 14:20 - Mar 18 by redrickstuhaart

Asahi. Italian
San miguel uk
Moretti uk
Staropramen uk
Carlsberg uk
Amstel uk

Very hard to find genuine foreign lager in the supermarket. Budvar and urquell are worthwhile.

Whilst not a lager, I am very partial to St-Feuillien Brune which you can get in M&S.

Brewed in Belgium, it undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle, and so contains healthy gut bacteria.

https://st-feuillien.com/en/products/st-feuillien-brune/

M&S also do a blonde version.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 17:02 - Mar 18 with 729 viewsMeadowlark

Adnams is brewed in England.
Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 18:07 - Mar 18 with 659 viewsSwansea_Blue

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 16:21 - Mar 18 by DJR

Whilst not a lager, I am very partial to St-Feuillien Brune which you can get in M&S.

Brewed in Belgium, it undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle, and so contains healthy gut bacteria.

https://st-feuillien.com/en/products/st-feuillien-brune/

M&S also do a blonde version.

The blonde is a good alternative to Leffe. I haven’t tried Leffe since the change, but if it’s as ‘successful’ as the Stella watering down has been I’ll be switching to St Feuillien more often.

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 18:17 - Mar 18 with 651 viewsSwansea_Blue

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 17:02 - Mar 18 by Meadowlark

Adnams is brewed in England.

Not for much longer. I thought I saw a rumour saying they were going to stop brewing the normal stuff. It’ll be a travesty if they do as it’s a lovely drop.

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 19:57 - Mar 18 with 577 viewsredrickstuhaart

Taking back control and increasing complexity for businesses on 18:17 - Mar 18 by Swansea_Blue

Not for much longer. I thought I saw a rumour saying they were going to stop brewing the normal stuff. It’ll be a travesty if they do as it’s a lovely drop.

Its also not the lagers I was talking about. That said, they are doing it to ales as well. Speckled Hen for a start
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024