Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Paul Cook! 17:31 - Mar 23 with 8228 viewsChrisd

Chesterfield back in the EFL after 6 seasons. I still believe he started the change at our club, he had to make those tough decisions to start our climb upwards. Look at the players he brought in, some of those players still having an impact at the top of the Championship.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:31 - Mar 23 with 1041 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:13 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

No, he just did a bad job of managing the team I support and I don't really understand why anyone has any great affection for him.

You got a great affection for the wasters who played for us under him, Lambert and Hurst. The worst players in the history of the club.

Anyway. Calm down and get some pills as you have been ranting about him for the last couple of days. Try to enjoy the life and have a smile for change. Grumpy, grumpy character.
Well done Paul Cook! on 22:39 - Mar 23 with 1014 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:31 - Mar 23 by Mach_foreignBlue

You got a great affection for the wasters who played for us under him, Lambert and Hurst. The worst players in the history of the club.

Anyway. Calm down and get some pills as you have been ranting about him for the last couple of days. Try to enjoy the life and have a smile for change. Grumpy, grumpy character.

Cook was awful mate. 3 points off the play offs with a game in hand when he was appointed and we sank like a stone. Ripped the squad apart and bolloxed that up again.

That said, he was a genuinely nice man and by all accounts worked 24/7 whilst at the club to do his best, and I’m happy for his recent success.

Anyway, I trust I’ll see you at Blackburn on Friday?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:54 - Mar 23 with 988 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:39 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Cook was awful mate. 3 points off the play offs with a game in hand when he was appointed and we sank like a stone. Ripped the squad apart and bolloxed that up again.

That said, he was a genuinely nice man and by all accounts worked 24/7 whilst at the club to do his best, and I’m happy for his recent success.

The players who he had kicked out of the club were the bigger problem than him.

You will. Have a safe trip.
Well done Paul Cook! on 22:57 - Mar 23 with 974 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:28 - Mar 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

The answer is probably the players he brought in, which you are bizarrely denying. Absolutely no chance Morsy would've come here, possibly Chappers too, if it weren't for Cook.

He failed because he ripped up too much too quickly and was never going to get enough time to get the new lot to gel. History will show him as a bad manager for us, but it is more nuanced than simply popping him on the 'cr@p' pile.

The fact that we unearthed a football genius directly afterwards has nothing to do with it.

He fully deserves his place on the crap pile with all bar one of Evans' managerial appointments.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well done Paul Cook! on 23:06 - Mar 23 with 966 viewscressi

To be fair he brought in some good players. He wasn't the owners choice and as we was inconsistent it made them make decision to go another direction.
Also going to the pub and Chinese etc when we had not achieved anything did not endure him to the owners.
Also have four tones of voice in a interview up down up down. The owners like McKenna calm how he comes over.
After that good luck Paul better than the two previous Paul's
Well done Paul Cook! on 06:48 - Mar 24 with 881 viewsibbleobble

4 league titles, 3 cup wins, 2 play-offs and a play off final. Not too shabby for an 18-year career in management. On average, that a serious challenge for silverware every other year, give-or-take no matter the level. Even the ardent dissenters should agree that’s worthy of recognition.
Well done Paul Cook! on 08:14 - Mar 24 with 852 viewsN2_Blue

Well done Paul Cook! on 06:48 - Mar 24 by ibbleobble

4 league titles, 3 cup wins, 2 play-offs and a play off final. Not too shabby for an 18-year career in management. On average, that a serious challenge for silverware every other year, give-or-take no matter the level. Even the ardent dissenters should agree that’s worthy of recognition.

Obsessed

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Well done Paul Cook! on 08:26 - Mar 24 with 844 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 06:48 - Mar 24 by ibbleobble

But none of those were at Ipswich. His record here was abysmal. I don't really care that he won League 2 as couple of times, it's not relevant to his time as our manager.

Login to get fewer ads

Well done Paul Cook! on 08:30 - Mar 24 with 846 viewsParky

Congratulations to him and his team. Despite it not working out for him here, him clearing the deadwood plays a part to where we are as a club now.
Well done Paul Cook! on 09:02 - Mar 24 with 809 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well done Paul Cook! on 08:26 - Mar 24 by Herbivore

But none of those were at Ipswich. His record here was abysmal. I don't really care that he won League 2 as couple of times, it's not relevant to his time as our manager.

Signing Morsy, Chappers and a few others was at Ipswich but you've dismissed those.

Let's be honest, you didn't like him, and aren't going to give him any credit for anything, despite the facts.

Maybe it was before you started coming back to Portman Road, because just looking at his record on paper - yes, you're right, it was abysmal. There's a lot more nuance in the real world though.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:24 - Mar 24 with 792 viewsMullet

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:39 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Your second paragraph is nowhere near true unfortunately.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:35 - Mar 24 with 780 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:02 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Signing Morsy, Chappers and a few others was at Ipswich but you've dismissed those.

Let's be honest, you didn't like him, and aren't going to give him any credit for anything, despite the facts.

Maybe it was before you started coming back to Portman Road, because just looking at his record on paper - yes, you're right, it was abysmal. There's a lot more nuance in the real world though.

He signed Chappers and Morsy and couldn't get a tune out of them. Does Paul Hurst's time here now get credit because Jackson has proved to be a very handy squad player in our automatic promotion push? It didn't take a genius to unearth players like Chaplin and Morsy either, any manager with the budget and opportunity to do so would have signed them in League 1. The Gamechanger money was the biggest factor in us signing players of that calibre. Let's also not forget he signed plenty of duds as well that summer.

I didn't dislike him, I'm not sure why you've made that up other than as a cheap attempt to dismiss my opinion. When Lambert left he was my first choice to replace him and I genuinely thought he'd take us up. However, it became apparent quite quickly that he was clueless tactically and his man management skills weren't what I'd hoped either. He failed badly on the pitch with two squads and ultimately that's what matters. That's why I have no lingering affection for him in the way that some do, he's in the same bracket as the other no hopers we endured in the Evans era and I have no lingering affection for any of them either.

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:36 - Mar 24 with 777 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:24 - Mar 24 by Mullet

The biggest accolade that can be given to Paul Cook is that his tenure here is subject to more revisionism than any other Town manager.

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:42 - Mar 24 with 762 viewsbluesym

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:52 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

The signings we made and the squad rebuild were mainly down to lots of players being out of contract and Gamechanger investing heavily post-takeover. Whether Morsy and Chaplin would have come or not we will never know, both felt unwanted by their clubs and we offered them decent contracts so them signing wasn't just down to Cook. He couldn't really get a tune out of them, or indeed out of anyone from the two squads he managed here. His record here on the pitch is up there with our very worst ever managers and he only managed us in the third tier. I struggle to understand the love for a manager who did a really poor job here.

No chance at all Morsy comes here if it wasn't for Cook.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:44 - Mar 24 with 759 views_clive_baker_

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:24 - Mar 24 by Mullet

‘by all accounts worked 24/7 whilst at the club to do his best‘.

Not sure that aligns with the thoughts on a number of people at the club!!
Well done Paul Cook! on 09:45 - Mar 24 with 740 viewsMullet

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:44 - Mar 24 by _clive_baker_

‘by all accounts worked 24/7 whilst at the club to do his best‘.

Not sure that aligns with the thoughts on a number of people at the club!!

Football or another club?!?!? (Don't ban me Phil)

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Well done Paul Cook! on 10:24 - Mar 24 with 700 viewsEireannach_gorm

Well done Paul Cook! on 21:06 - Mar 23 by PioneerBlue

I’m not buying it that Paul Cook was a bad manager for the reasons mentioned above but it’s clear his time won’t be remembered as being successful. I don’t know for sure but my guess is he expected to entice Leam R and he would have had the coaching capability needed, once that didn’t happen writing was on the wall, there wasn’t the coaching competency to bring that squad together quickly and turn it into the required results.

I think the kernel of Cooks problem is the support staff he had around him and he made it worse by bringing in even worse. The separation of himself and Richardson was the start of his downfall. For getting Morsy alone, I would put him ahead of most of the Evans era managers.
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:52 - Mar 24 with 678 viewsEireannach_gorm

Well done Paul Cook! on 21:06 - Mar 23 by PioneerBlue

I’m not buying it that Paul Cook was a bad manager for the reasons mentioned above but it’s clear his time won’t be remembered as being successful. I don’t know for sure but my guess is he expected to entice Leam R and he would have had the coaching capability needed, once that didn’t happen writing was on the wall, there wasn’t the coaching competency to bring that squad together quickly and turn it into the required results.

[Post edited 24 Mar 18:57]
Well done Paul Cook! on 11:05 - Mar 24 with 664 viewsibbleobble

Well done Paul Cook! on 10:24 - Mar 24 by Eireannach_gorm

I think the kernel of Cooks problem is the support staff he had around him and he made it worse by bringing in even worse. The separation of himself and Richardson was the start of his downfall. For getting Morsy alone, I would put him ahead of most of the Evans era managers.

Richardson has been promoted, sacked and relegated since then. Cook has been sacked, lost a play-off final and been promoted. We can argue all day long about levels but there will be a division between them next season when there were three in August. One manager on the up, the other on the way down. I know who’ll be the happier at the moment.
Well done Paul Cook! on 11:12 - Mar 24 with 656 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:05 - Mar 24 by ibbleobble

Richardson has been promoted, sacked and relegated since then. Cook has been sacked, lost a play-off final and been promoted. We can argue all day long about levels but there will be a division between them next season when there were three in August. One manager on the up, the other on the way down. I know who’ll be the happier at the moment.

Yes, we certainly can argue about levels when Richardson was in the Championship with a club in a pretty dire state financially, whilst Cook was looking to salvage his managerial career in the Conference. Delusional.

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:13 - Mar 24 with 657 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well done Paul Cook! on 09:35 - Mar 24 by Herbivore

He signed Chappers and Morsy and couldn't get a tune out of them. Does Paul Hurst's time here now get credit because Jackson has proved to be a very handy squad player in our automatic promotion push? It didn't take a genius to unearth players like Chaplin and Morsy either, any manager with the budget and opportunity to do so would have signed them in League 1. The Gamechanger money was the biggest factor in us signing players of that calibre. Let's also not forget he signed plenty of duds as well that summer.

I didn't dislike him, I'm not sure why you've made that up other than as a cheap attempt to dismiss my opinion. When Lambert left he was my first choice to replace him and I genuinely thought he'd take us up. However, it became apparent quite quickly that he was clueless tactically and his man management skills weren't what I'd hoped either. He failed badly on the pitch with two squads and ultimately that's what matters. That's why I have no lingering affection for him in the way that some do, he's in the same bracket as the other no hopers we endured in the Evans era and I have no lingering affection for any of them either.

No, you can't equate Hurst with Cook because of 1 player left over, who's mostly on the periphery.

You keep saying "any manager would have signed them". That's just an empty, meaningless argument. You could, by extension, say that about any signing ever. Morsy has said he came for Cook and wouldn't have come for anyone else. Whether we believe that or not, the fact is Cook did sign those players.

He obviously isn't "clueless tactically" as his other managerial successes show.

You keep saying he failed badly on the pitch as if anyone's disagreeing with that. They're not. He came into an absolute mess of a team, he tried to get a tune but realised very quickly they were hopeless, and bombed them out. He probably changed too much too soon though. He was only in charge 9 months, including across a summer - so actually only just over 5 months of actual playing time, with just one transfer window and two different teams. That's a ridiculously short time to re-start a team and get the new players gelling.

Yes he failed. But there's huge context behind why. The fact that so many of his players are still here, and knocking on the door of the Prem, shows the potential that was there. For that he deserves some credit IMO.

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:20 - Mar 24 with 642 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:13 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, you can't equate Hurst with Cook because of 1 player left over, who's mostly on the periphery.

You keep saying "any manager would have signed them". That's just an empty, meaningless argument. You could, by extension, say that about any signing ever. Morsy has said he came for Cook and wouldn't have come for anyone else. Whether we believe that or not, the fact is Cook did sign those players.

He obviously isn't "clueless tactically" as his other managerial successes show.

You keep saying he failed badly on the pitch as if anyone's disagreeing with that. They're not. He came into an absolute mess of a team, he tried to get a tune but realised very quickly they were hopeless, and bombed them out. He probably changed too much too soon though. He was only in charge 9 months, including across a summer - so actually only just over 5 months of actual playing time, with just one transfer window and two different teams. That's a ridiculously short time to re-start a team and get the new players gelling.

Yes he failed. But there's huge context behind why. The fact that so many of his players are still here, and knocking on the door of the Prem, shows the potential that was there. For that he deserves some credit IMO.

And IMO he deserves no real credit and was hopeless here. The fact that people keep harping on about what he did elsewhere shows there's precious little to defend him on during his time here. Christ, Paul Jewell had two promotions to the Prem under his belt and left us with some decent players (Chambo and Cresswell for starters) but nobody seriously tries to claim he wasn't hopeless here because he was. As was Cook. I know you backed him right to the end so will continue to argue in his favour until you're blue in the face but I'm not having it.

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:25 - Mar 24 with 637 viewsbazza

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:20 - Mar 24 by Herbivore

And IMO he deserves no real credit and was hopeless here. The fact that people keep harping on about what he did elsewhere shows there's precious little to defend him on during his time here. Christ, Paul Jewell had two promotions to the Prem under his belt and left us with some decent players (Chambo and Cresswell for starters) but nobody seriously tries to claim he wasn't hopeless here because he was. As was Cook. I know you backed him right to the end so will continue to argue in his favour until you're blue in the face but I'm not having it.

Yea, but what do you really think of him.
Well done Paul Cook! on 11:41 - Mar 24 with 607 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:20 - Mar 24 by Herbivore

When you call him "tactically clueless" then it's relevant to bring up his successes. Unless you think it's possible to forget everything you know, then you need to look deeper to the reasons behind failure.

Jewell had almost 2 years.

I'm not arguing because I backed him. I back all managers and believe in giving them time. Always have done, often to my detriment.

My point is there's reasons, context and nuance as to why he failed, all of which you dismiss or ignore. Your view is simplistic.

Well done Paul Cook! on 12:22 - Mar 24 with 568 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Well done Paul Cook! on 11:13 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Too right he didn’t get a tune out of them. He averaged half a point a game worse than Lambert. That’s a stark statistic.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024