Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Physically fittest squad in the league 12:04 - Apr 5 with 2222 viewsHeathlander

It's been said that we win games late on because of the fitness of our players and them being physically fitter than other teams. You would have thought that being fit was a given for a professional sportsman.

My question is what are we doing different to other teams or not doing that gives us this advantage? Or is it nonsense.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:19 - Apr 5 with 2141 viewsGuthrum

Fine margins, perhaps. The difference between being extremely fit and fantastically fit. The team spirit and upward progress may be an incentive to work that little bit harder.

I think our playing style is calculated to help, giving the opposition the run-around by passing the ball and mounting fast attacks. Plus we use the subs bench in a different way to many. We're not simply replacing the tired, it's a deliberate tactical decision to put on extra pace, energy and trickiness for the final 20-30 minutes. Which will test their defence's stamina to the utmost degree*. It's not just we are fitter, but we wear the other side out.

* It puzzles me why more managers aren't doing this (exploiting the 5-subs allowance to the maximum), but it probably comes down to the fact we designed our squad to be able to do that and others haven't yet.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:21 - Apr 5 with 2126 viewsGuthrum

I remember reading something about Michael Schumacher, that his heart-rate remained low even when stressed, leaving a margin of calmness to make better decisions in the heat of the action. This achieved because he used to train harder than others.
[Post edited 5 Apr 12:25]

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:24 - Apr 5 with 2094 viewsjasondozzell

I don't think it's nonsense. We must be the fittest team in the league. I suspect that with the new set up under Kmac that we have expert staff making sure this is the case through careful 'loading' of players, management, and training sessions. The players all talk about how hard training is - we clearly work hard at times when other teams might be less intense.

I also think it's to do with player profile. Kmac values mobile and technical players. You've got to be a runner to play here. Look at Leif. The game now requires players to run long distances and sprint and recover frequently.

BUT I think the key to our physical fitness is our mental fitness. Concentration is a huge part of fitness and performance levels. Watch Sarmiento's goal again. In the build up, Morsy gets free to take the ball from Clarke. The Saints forward should be closing him and he does move towards him but you can see he's tired and he can't turn the thought into real action. As a result, Morsy drives on and we know what happened next. Our team is so disciplined with efforts. We seem to still be dialled in at the end of games and able to maintain focus where others tire.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:24 - Apr 5 with 2071 viewsjasondozzell

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:21 - Apr 5 by Guthrum

I remember reading something about Michael Schumacher, that his heart-rate remained low even when stressed, leaving a margin of calmness to make better decisions in the heat of the action. This achieved because he used to train harder than others.
[Post edited 5 Apr 12:25]

It's exactly this.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:27 - Apr 5 with 2032 viewsexeterblue10

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:24 - Apr 5 by jasondozzell

I don't think it's nonsense. We must be the fittest team in the league. I suspect that with the new set up under Kmac that we have expert staff making sure this is the case through careful 'loading' of players, management, and training sessions. The players all talk about how hard training is - we clearly work hard at times when other teams might be less intense.

I also think it's to do with player profile. Kmac values mobile and technical players. You've got to be a runner to play here. Look at Leif. The game now requires players to run long distances and sprint and recover frequently.

BUT I think the key to our physical fitness is our mental fitness. Concentration is a huge part of fitness and performance levels. Watch Sarmiento's goal again. In the build up, Morsy gets free to take the ball from Clarke. The Saints forward should be closing him and he does move towards him but you can see he's tired and he can't turn the thought into real action. As a result, Morsy drives on and we know what happened next. Our team is so disciplined with efforts. We seem to still be dialled in at the end of games and able to maintain focus where others tire.

Unless we're playing Cardiff away
Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:28 - Apr 5 with 2021 viewsjasondozzell

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:27 - Apr 5 by exeterblue10

Yes! But I think that's a rare moment where we've been tired and let the game get to us. Very unlike us!
Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:30 - Apr 5 with 2006 viewsGuthrum

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:24 - Apr 5 by jasondozzell

I think part of this is down to the fact we're in the process of building a quasi-Prem style structure at the club, with that level of brains, skill and input. The standards of fitness, the relatively few injuries (compared with some previous seasons) are testament to that. We probably take more care over things like supervising player diet than most in the Champ or L1.

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:31 - Apr 5 with 2003 viewsBasuco

1. There were quite a few "sightings" of Town players in the Summer putting in the hard running miles preseason, raising core fitness.

2. We make the ball do the work during a game, pass and move when in possession.

Both make playing 90+ minutes to the full much easier, no real secret to it at all.
Login to get fewer ads

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:42 - Apr 5 with 1926 viewsGuthrum

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:27 - Apr 5 by exeterblue10

That was the end of an intense run of games (two a week) where we were having to put together a string of wins to claw back from the poor run - in many of them having to really battle for victory (Rotherham, Birmingham, Plymouth A, Bristol City).

Even the fittest squad will run out of energy eventually.

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:57 - Apr 5 with 1809 viewsWeWereZombies

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:19 - Apr 5 by Guthrum

Fine margins, perhaps. The difference between being extremely fit and fantastically fit. The team spirit and upward progress may be an incentive to work that little bit harder.

I think our playing style is calculated to help, giving the opposition the run-around by passing the ball and mounting fast attacks. Plus we use the subs bench in a different way to many. We're not simply replacing the tired, it's a deliberate tactical decision to put on extra pace, energy and trickiness for the final 20-30 minutes. Which will test their defence's stamina to the utmost degree*. It's not just we are fitter, but we wear the other side out.

* It puzzles me why more managers aren't doing this (exploiting the 5-subs allowance to the maximum), but it probably comes down to the fact we designed our squad to be able to do that and others haven't yet.

In addition McKenna has built something of a 'no superstars' squad mentality, I think we are even seeing this with loan players like Moore who works harder than I expected. So the substitutions do not have the dispiriting effect that you see in some other teams, players going off know that they have done their shift and that the substitute is carrying on their good work. Also they know they are not necessarily out of the picture for the next game, one game at a time and if they are right for the next game they get into the starting eleven.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Physically fittest squad in the league on 13:07 - Apr 5 with 1782 viewsTheBoyBlue

It was such an obvious advantage in L1, but I honestly didn't expect to have this particular edge in the Championship, but if anything its come even more to the fore this season.

Hopefully it can see us over the line.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Physically fittest squad in the league on 13:16 - Apr 5 with 1732 viewsIllinoisblue

Luck and deflections, obviously. But I do think the fact we make multiple subs around 60 or 65 naturally gives us an energy boost towards end of games.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Physically fittest squad in the league on 13:37 - Apr 5 with 1599 viewsWestSussexBlue

If you watch the opposition at the final whistle of games they are the majority of the time, absolutely goosed. They know they’ve really been in a game for 90+ minutes. We are undoubtedly both physically and mentally stronger, hence why as we turn the screw towards the end of games, teams just can’t maintain that level that we tend to be able to do. Adding extra pace for the final 25-30 minutes also supports the energy levels to get the results we have been getting.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 14:21 - Apr 5 with 1429 viewsMK1

We have genuine pace coming off the bench and the togetherness of the squad.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 16:43 - Apr 5 with 1242 viewsSheffordBlue

I think McKenna is fully bought in on 'Tactical Periodisation' which leads to the high intensity training that our squad do. Most of them comments about how tough (but fun) it is.

Mourinho was one of the first managers to go big on this approach so it would stand to reason that McKenna might believe that it works.

Good article here on what it actually is - https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/a-look-into-tactical-periodisatio

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Physically fittest squad in the league on 16:55 - Apr 5 with 1202 viewsITFCSG

Physically fittest squad in the league on 13:37 - Apr 5 by WestSussexBlue

If you watch the opposition at the final whistle of games they are the majority of the time, absolutely goosed. They know they’ve really been in a game for 90+ minutes. We are undoubtedly both physically and mentally stronger, hence why as we turn the screw towards the end of games, teams just can’t maintain that level that we tend to be able to do. Adding extra pace for the final 25-30 minutes also supports the energy levels to get the results we have been getting.

Definitely. Even the West Brom players were all collapsing at the final whistle during their 2-2 draw at PR.

The only team I have seen so far with fitness levels that can match ours is Leeds. They also have very strong subs almost like a 2nd XI coming off the bench. Lo and behold they are the only team that has done the double over us this season.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 16:59 - Apr 5 with 1190 viewsDeliasMashedPotato

I think a lot of has to do with game management too. We pass around the back and encourage the other team to chase us and do a lot of running. Our lads are fit as a fiddle but i think we do a good job tiring teams out and then hit them late.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 20:45 - Apr 5 with 1009 viewsnorfsufblue

Physically fittest squad in the league on 16:59 - Apr 5 by DeliasMashedPotato

I think a lot of has to do with game management too. We pass around the back and encourage the other team to chase us and do a lot of running. Our lads are fit as a fiddle but i think we do a good job tiring teams out and then hit them late.

I've always thought( even when playing at a very low level) that football is a much easier game to play with the ball than without... its a very obvious statement but you've only got to do the piggy in the middle type drills for a short time to realise that!

BUT it's absolutely marvellous watching us do it consistently!
Physically fittest squad in the league on 21:15 - Apr 5 with 963 viewsLeaky

I've noticed this especially against Leicester & Southampton they knackered after 60/70 minutes & we bring on our subs. They then call us lucky scoring late goals. The only side that has matched us is Leeds.
Physically fittest squad in the league on 21:33 - Apr 5 with 914 viewsbluefunk

Physically fittest squad in the league on 21:15 - Apr 5 by Leaky

I've noticed this especially against Leicester & Southampton they knackered after 60/70 minutes & we bring on our subs. They then call us lucky scoring late goals. The only side that has matched us is Leeds.

Leeds didn’t have to at their place we were well out of it, and at PR they were 2 up and it there’d been 10 more minutes we would have got a leveller
Physically fittest squad in the league on 22:09 - Apr 5 with 862 viewsMelford

Physically fittest squad in the league on 12:19 - Apr 5 by Guthrum

Perry Groves on Talksport summed it up really well, this is the jist of what he was saying.

We play really high tempo and whether we're winning or losing we'll change 2 or 3 up top and the defenders are like ***k me I've had an hour of this being turned left and right and now they bring fresh legs on. It gets into their heads, here come the Cavalry. With the bench as strong as the players who are coming off, there's no drop off of quality when the subs come on.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Physically fittest squad in the league on 22:42 - Apr 5 with 818 viewsGuthrum

Physically fittest squad in the league on 16:43 - Apr 5 by SheffordBlue

I think McKenna is fully bought in on 'Tactical Periodisation' which leads to the high intensity training that our squad do. Most of them comments about how tough (but fun) it is.

Mourinho was one of the first managers to go big on this approach so it would stand to reason that McKenna might believe that it works.

Good article here on what it actually is - https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/a-look-into-tactical-periodisatio

I think a lot of this can be seen in the way we set up and how the team operates in defined, but flexible units. Also the quickness of thought in spotting and taking advantage of opportunities.

Perhaps our fitness (and avoidance of injury) is so good because it's match-simulated training, in real-world situations, rather than just working on specific areas of the body and hoping they come together.

Physically fittest squad in the league on 22:47 - Apr 5 with 804 viewsGuthrum

Physically fittest squad in the league on 22:09 - Apr 5 by Melford

Perry Groves on Talksport summed it up really well, this is the jist of what he was saying.

We play really high tempo and whether we're winning or losing we'll change 2 or 3 up top and the defenders are like ***k me I've had an hour of this being turned left and right and now they bring fresh legs on. It gets into their heads, here come the Cavalry. With the bench as strong as the players who are coming off, there's no drop off of quality when the subs come on.

That last being the most important bit. McKenna can sub with confidence, knowing he can rely on the quality and application of the replacements.

Very like Rugby Union, where there are "starters" and "finishers", rather than a first team and reserves.

Physically fittest squad in the league on 23:06 - Apr 5 with 772 viewscharlie1

Physically fittest squad in the league on 13:37 - Apr 5 by WestSussexBlue

I agree.
Added to that, the subs aren’t the significant drop-off in standard that they can be at other clubs.
The fact that, even with Hirst and Burns injured, we could still bring on Al-Hamadi, Broady and Sarmiento on Monday is insane.

All three would fancy they are worth a place in the starting 11, and played like they wanted to prove it.

Imagine that as a tiring centre-back!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024