Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! 17:26 - Apr 27 with 3173 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68913287

EDIT: Whilst I agree with his present analysis, I am not sure I would with his analysis of the party he was elected into.

"I found it increasingly difficult to look my NHS colleagues in the eye, my patients in the eye, and my constituents in the eye with good conscience."

He suggested the party had stopped valuing public services, saying: "The difficulty for the Conservative Party is that the party I was elected into valued public services... it had a compassionate view about supporting the more disadvantaged in society.

"I think the Conservative Party today is in a very different place."
[Post edited 27 Apr 17:28]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:20 - Apr 27 with 978 viewsthorpedo

He'd Had A Bad Day.......

Thorpedo

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:32 - Apr 27 with 958 viewsVic

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:42 - Apr 27 by Dubtractor

Vic, honest question for you.

I think I'm right in saying that your a bit of a traditional tory voter? What do you and yours make of the current lot, and what they stand for?

Not looking to catch you out, and understand if you'd prefer not to answer for fear of being jumped on.

I'm also in this constituency, and didn't rate my chances of getting a labour mp when we moved last year!

Point of fact before I answer your question - I’m not actually a traditional Tory voter. I have voted for them occasionally, but more often that not I’ve voted for a different colour 🙂

I didn’t vote for them last time and I won’t vote for them this time -and truth be told, I don’t actually know many people who say they will (and I live in a solidly Tory village!).

I don’t mind Sunak but his party is tired, we need something different. They have been badly, badly tarnished for me by Johnson’s blatant lying about just about everything. For a while I thought he did a good job at the start of Covid, but everything that’s come out since shows it was a load of bull.

Two of my children work in the NHS (one is a Dr, one a sister, the other child is a high school teacher. All of them bemoan what this government have done (or not done) to thier professions. Thing is, they are clever kids and have no confidence that any of the others will do any better. The NHS is broken, utterly broken and no one has any idea how to fix it. Throwing money at it won’t do it (says my Dr son) but it is no longer fit for purpose.

Time for someone else to have a go - but I fear they won’t make much of a better job.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:39 - Apr 27 with 940 viewsDubtractor

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:32 - Apr 27 by Vic

Point of fact before I answer your question - I’m not actually a traditional Tory voter. I have voted for them occasionally, but more often that not I’ve voted for a different colour 🙂

I didn’t vote for them last time and I won’t vote for them this time -and truth be told, I don’t actually know many people who say they will (and I live in a solidly Tory village!).

I don’t mind Sunak but his party is tired, we need something different. They have been badly, badly tarnished for me by Johnson’s blatant lying about just about everything. For a while I thought he did a good job at the start of Covid, but everything that’s come out since shows it was a load of bull.

Two of my children work in the NHS (one is a Dr, one a sister, the other child is a high school teacher. All of them bemoan what this government have done (or not done) to thier professions. Thing is, they are clever kids and have no confidence that any of the others will do any better. The NHS is broken, utterly broken and no one has any idea how to fix it. Throwing money at it won’t do it (says my Dr son) but it is no longer fit for purpose.

Time for someone else to have a go - but I fear they won’t make much of a better job.

Thanks for replying, and sorry for mistakenly torying you!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 20:09 - Apr 27 with 900 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:54 - Apr 27 by baxterbasics

He’s my MP, I’ve voted for him previously but wasn’t going to this time in any colour, the lockdown loving authoritarian gimp.

But for the constituency to turn properly red in election time would be a massive switch, can’t see that happening.

Also..

It's odd how much further the money went when it was a public service instead of paying for private profits. See also water companies and the railways.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 09:28 - Apr 28 with 842 viewsDurovigutum

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:36 - Apr 27 by pointofblue

Oh they can. Trust me, I live in it. They can.

I’m interested to hear how you would go about trying the change their views?
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 09:33 - Apr 28 with 837 viewsDurovigutum

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:32 - Apr 27 by Vic

I live in his constituency - and I think it could be a very close run thing. Very few conservatives are safe at the moment. Johnson hoodwinked a lot of people and his bluster quickly unravelled, with no one able to provide any substance since.

I’m interested why you think it will be a close run thing? I have spoken to a few people and they are angry about a range of things but it feels like the “dutiful” Tory voters will still turn out because they do so without thinking?
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 09:37 - Apr 28 with 817 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ahhhh here it is....thought the forum might have spotted it.

Edit...it was news to me 10 minutes ago due to football stuff.
[Post edited 28 Apr 9:37]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 09:49 - Apr 28 with 787 viewsChurchman

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:32 - Apr 27 by Vic

Same with me. Regardless of my loathing for the current swivel eyed mob, I’ve voted conservative before, but not since Kinnock fell in the sea. I’ve voted for all the parties over the years which makes me a bit of a fence sitter I suppose.

While I agree with most of your post, I disagree re Sunak. I think he’s a clueless windbag. A little man in the true sense of the word. Will Labour be any better? Who knows, but however useless they turn out, their intentions are likely to be a little less self serving than the current grasping liars.

They deserve the opportunity, just as the tories deserve oblivion for generations.
[Post edited 28 Apr 14:06]
Login to get fewer ads

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 10:06 - Apr 28 with 792 viewsDJR

As well as being totally supportive of austerity, he was a health minister at the time of the disastrous Lansley NHS reforms contained in the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 10:18 - Apr 28 with 774 viewsBluespeed225

Can the northern by pass project be bought up again?!
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 12:15 - Apr 28 with 735 viewsDJR

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:54 - Apr 27 by baxterbasics

He’s my MP, I’ve voted for him previously but wasn’t going to this time in any colour, the lockdown loving authoritarian gimp.

But for the constituency to turn properly red in election time would be a massive switch, can’t see that happening.

Also..

There has been nothing like the real term increases in NHS spending that took place from the war to 2010, despite an ageing and growing population. The real damage was done during the Coalition government, and a large part of subsequent increases was due to the costs of Covid.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-generous-have-the-conserva

"Over the course of their time in office, we estimate that the average annual growth rate in healthcare spending under Labour was 5.6 per cent – even accounting for inflation.

Since 2010, annual growth in the health budget has been significantly slower than it was under most of Labour’s time in office. The IFS says: “UK public health spending grew in real terms by an average of 1.3 per cent per year between 2009-10 and 2015-16.”

This doesn’t just put the Conservatives below Labour’s average spend – the IFS point out that this is “substantially below” the long-term trend growth between 1955 and 2016, when health budgets grew by 4.1 per cent a year on average."
[Post edited 28 Apr 12:15]
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 12:19 - Apr 28 with 722 viewsbournemouthblue

He's not really an MP Labour will want, I assume this means he'll probably lose his seat to the greens

Edit: It looks like he is standing down at the next election anyway, I suspect the Greens have a good chance of winning this seat
[Post edited 28 Apr 12:22]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 12:37 - Apr 28 with 692 viewspointofblue

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 09:28 - Apr 28 by Durovigutum

I’m interested to hear how you would go about trying the change their views?

Pointing out the inconsistencies in their views. Questioning what is raised in the Daily Mail. Airing other opinions, the other side of the argument.

It's made more difficult as I don't think any party has a real answer to the current issues plaguing this country - as much as I am not a fan of Corbyn the person, Corbyn the politician at least realised things needed to change. Nationalising the railways is something, but I have no faith in Labour not backtracking at some point.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 14:12 - Apr 28 with 640 viewsDJR

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 12:37 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

Pointing out the inconsistencies in their views. Questioning what is raised in the Daily Mail. Airing other opinions, the other side of the argument.

It's made more difficult as I don't think any party has a real answer to the current issues plaguing this country - as much as I am not a fan of Corbyn the person, Corbyn the politician at least realised things needed to change. Nationalising the railways is something, but I have no faith in Labour not backtracking at some point.

The interesting aspect of the rail proposals is the extent to which Labour might seek to expand the number of open-access operators and the extent of their network.

Such operators are unaffected by Labour's proposals and don't receive a subsidy from the government.

The two of which I am aware are Lumo and Hull Trains.

Lumo is owned by FirstGroup and operates passenger trains on the East Coast Main Line between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley, and this week's Private Eye suggests they are an obstacle to the integration of rail services.

This from Private Eye.

"All three "open access" passenger trains firms use the East Coast Mainline [and] their rights to run trains complicate planning a new timetable to exploit the £4 billion investment."
[Post edited 28 Apr 14:13]
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 16:07 - Apr 28 with 590 viewssoupytwist

Ipswich Borough and Suffolk County Councillor Sam Murray isn't overly impressed with their erstwhile colleague:

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:42 - Apr 28 with 521 viewsChurchman

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 16:07 - Apr 28 by soupytwist

Ipswich Borough and Suffolk County Councillor Sam Murray isn't overly impressed with their erstwhile colleague:

Didn’t think much of him then 😃
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:56 - Apr 28 with 512 viewsMK1

Is he the Postman's brother?
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 14:57 - Apr 29 with 355 viewsHotShotHamish

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:37 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

Just cos he's not as much of a tosser as Hunt or Coffee doesn't change the fact that he still voted for austerity, dumping sh1t in rivers, Rwanda etc.

'dumping sh1t in rivers'

You clearly know nothing about the subject. there is less sewage in the rivers than ay any time in the past 100 years. The Conservatives introduced monitoring on all waterways which is why you hear about it more. It really hasn't got worse but you carry on with your totally incorrect soundbites
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 15:04 - Apr 29 with 327 viewsbluelagos

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 14:57 - Apr 29 by HotShotHamish

'dumping sh1t in rivers'

You clearly know nothing about the subject. there is less sewage in the rivers than ay any time in the past 100 years. The Conservatives introduced monitoring on all waterways which is why you hear about it more. It really hasn't got worse but you carry on with your totally incorrect soundbites

That took about 5 seconds to google.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13243827/double-raw-sewage-pumped-Briti

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 15:08 - Apr 29 with 305 viewsGeomorph

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 14:57 - Apr 29 by HotShotHamish

'dumping sh1t in rivers'

yes... dumping sh1t in rivers... as someone who works for the regulator of rivers in england, that sums it up nicely. what has happened to be fair to you, is that the number of people involved in monitoring and enforcement has halved over the last decade, as UK plc has decimated the budget on environmental protection (but increased it for building flood walls etc). Glad to be of service..dr g
[Post edited 29 Apr 15:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024