Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We haven’t had a post 15:36 - May 6 with 2851 viewsDeepBlueSea

about the Stockport 8000 for a while. Who was at that match and also at the Huddersfield match on Sat. There must be a few of you who were.

Bonus points if you also went to the Anglo Italian cup game against Salernitana..?
We haven’t had a post on 23:00 - May 6 with 538 viewsChurchman

We haven’t had a post on 22:36 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

I was at that game & the first 30 minutes were pretty dreadful. However, we picked up the pace in the last 15 minutes & as the players came off, I felt we would go on & win the game. Then, a load of boos rang out! I thought "fair enough if it had been 45 minutes of dross, but we got our act together near the end". Simon Milton put us ahead after 58 minutes, the floodgates opened & we won 5-1. Official attendance was 9,926.

I was definitely at the game, but don’t remember it tbh.

The Swindon game was mentioned - I presume that was the 1989 one under John Duncan. That was an 8,000 job and I’m pretty sure I didn’t see that one (looked it up).
We haven’t had a post on 23:22 - May 6 with 511 viewsTrumptonBlue

We haven’t had a post on 23:00 - May 6 by Churchman

I was definitely at the game, but don’t remember it tbh.

The Swindon game was mentioned - I presume that was the 1989 one under John Duncan. That was an 8,000 job and I’m pretty sure I didn’t see that one (looked it up).

No, November ‘96, a 3-2 win. It rarely gets a mention when talk turns to tiny crowds but, at 7086, it’s the smallest league attendance since midweek afternoon games in the 40s. I wasn’t there but apparently Gerry Creaney scored, if you can believe such a thing.
We haven’t had a post on 23:43 - May 6 with 482 viewsChurchman

We haven’t had a post on 23:22 - May 6 by TrumptonBlue

No, November ‘96, a 3-2 win. It rarely gets a mention when talk turns to tiny crowds but, at 7086, it’s the smallest league attendance since midweek afternoon games in the 40s. I wasn’t there but apparently Gerry Creaney scored, if you can believe such a thing.

That’s a shocker. I wasn’t there, respect to those who were! Looking it up, the crowds were terrible for the most part. We played Crystal Palace in a good game on Boxing Day and the crowd was 16,000. I remember at the time thinking how nice it was to see the ground pretty full. The capacity was of course about 22k at that time.

How things have changed.

We blew it against Sheffield Utd in the play offs. Normal for us and the reason why I dreaded them this season.
We haven’t had a post on 00:02 - May 7 with 459 viewstextbackup

Didn’t we also have about 8k at the WBA 1/4 of the carling cup? (When we went on to play Arsenal in semi) or have I got that wrong

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We haven’t had a post on 00:25 - May 7 with 443 viewspointofblue

We haven’t had a post on 17:06 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

Increasing the size of the stadium involves a huge financial commitment, which has to be funded somehow. Last time we did this by securitising future season ticket income, which ended well, didn't it (no , Town were relegated & went into admin).
So why would our owners want to spend a large sum on something that is likely to achieve a low financial return, unless you think the vanity of having a bigger stadium is worth the price? At some stage, attendances will fall off & a half empty stadium won't look or fell great. Such a project is also hugely disruptive and, again, it was arguably a factor in our relegation in 2001-02.

In the club’s defence, I think they secured the stadium improvements against television money being provided by ITV Digital on the basis of relegation. Unfortunately, they went bust and all three relegated sides from 01/02 went into administration soon after. I think it’s partially what brought in parachute payments. And the points deduction rule for administration was introduced soon after too.

ETA - I was at the Stockport game. Think I attended the Salernitana match too though can’t remember any of it.
[Post edited 7 May 0:28]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We haven’t had a post on 07:44 - May 7 with 371 viewsitfcbam

Was at the Stockport game, also went to all the Anglo Italian home games, including the one where we got beat 4-2 at home by Port Vale. Thought before that game we was a cert for Wembley that season. Work now stops going to many games and couldn't get a ticket for Sat. So great seeing how club is moving forward and looking forward to next chapter in Prem.
We haven’t had a post on 08:10 - May 7 with 353 viewsBlueRaider

All 3 !

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

We haven’t had a post on 09:08 - May 7 with 328 viewsLeaky

We haven’t had a post on 17:25 - May 6 by Sharkey

More recently, I think of the fans who went to Barrow for the cup during MCGreal’s interim management, especially anyone who traveled all the way from Suffolk. They have a special place in blue heaven now.

I did the Barrow game 5 hour train Journey from Peterboro
Login to get fewer ads

We haven’t had a post on 09:22 - May 7 with 321 viewssoupytwist

We haven’t had a post on 17:30 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

Yes. the first half of that debacle at Charlton was easily the worst 45 minutes I had seen from a Town team (but maybe surpassed by a few games in League 1 & the 7-1 shellacking at Posh). David Kerslake was all at sea at full back (I don't think he started ever again), David Whyte was anonymous (the Stockport game was the second of his 2 town games) & Dozzell was hopelessly off the pace ( he only played 2 more games). Fortunately, David Johnson II arrived shortly & we turned the season around.

I was at that Charlton game, probable highlight of which was experiencing the complete dump that was The Antigallican, don't think I was at the Stockport one though. I don't think I had a season ticket that season and was working in London so probably didn't travel up to many midweek games from Chelmsford.

I did manage to get tickets for both legs of the playoff semi-final so must have been to a few games that season. As I watched Micky Stockwell equalise at Brammall Lane, little did I know that my as yet unborn eldest child would be living round the corner in his final year of university when we went up in 2024 and be at Portman Road to witness it!
[Post edited 7 May 9:36]
We haven’t had a post on 09:23 - May 7 with 310 viewsitfcjoe

I went to all of them, and fortunately have also managed the big 3 each of the last 2 seasons (Posh-Barnsley-Exeter and Hull-Coventry-Huddersfield).

People get a bit upset when people say that some fans deserve it more than others, and I don't really understand why - I'm sure I'm high up the list of 'deserving' but I see people who are even far more committed than me and deserve it more, who travel the breadth of the country for every game, sometimes even including home games.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We haven’t had a post on 09:29 - May 7 with 285 viewswitchdoctor

yep..was at the Stockport game….apart from our regular card school there was only a couple of other punters in the Brewers pre game which mirrored the poor attendance that evening…think it was a Brett bloody Angel brace which done for us but I stand to be corrected….
We haven’t had a post on 11:37 - May 7 with 222 viewsRadlett_blue

We haven’t had a post on 00:25 - May 7 by pointofblue

In the club’s defence, I think they secured the stadium improvements against television money being provided by ITV Digital on the basis of relegation. Unfortunately, they went bust and all three relegated sides from 01/02 went into administration soon after. I think it’s partially what brought in parachute payments. And the points deduction rule for administration was introduced soon after too.

ETA - I was at the Stockport game. Think I attended the Salernitana match too though can’t remember any of it.
[Post edited 7 May 0:28]

No, the stand debt was securitised against future season ticket income. However, we probably wouldn't have gone into admin but for the ITV Digital fiasco, which not only deprived Football League clubs of much needed income, but this also created a transfer market where almost every club was a forced seller.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We haven’t had a post on 11:59 - May 7 with 194 viewsyorkshireblue

The Anglo Italian cup game vs Salernitana was my first ever game.

A nice Ipswich win against an exotic sounding Italian team in a European competititon... thought it would be like this all this time. Oh, how little I knew.
[Post edited 7 May 12:01]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024