Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy - One of the all time best 13:44 - May 22 with 1191 viewswaveneyblue

Appreciate its easy to get carried away and overly emotional about these things.

But I'm genuinely thinking he's in an elite group of players to have ever played for Ipswich.

I just missed the glory years of 70's and early 80's, but short of Butcher and Wark I'm struggling to think of a finer guy on and off the field.

Might as well stick him in the hall of fame now.
Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:47 - May 22 with 1160 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not even close on the field imo. He's not even in our elite group of midfielders, who were amongst some of the best in Europe. He's possibly not even in our 2nd tier group yet either (Holland, Magic) who all did it at the top level.

That's not to dismiss him of course. He's been excellent for us and I doubt we'd have achieved quite what we have done without him. Im looking forward to how he takes to next year.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:52 - May 22 with 1114 viewswaveneyblue

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:47 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Not even close on the field imo. He's not even in our elite group of midfielders, who were amongst some of the best in Europe. He's possibly not even in our 2nd tier group yet either (Holland, Magic) who all did it at the top level.

That's not to dismiss him of course. He's been excellent for us and I doubt we'd have achieved quite what we have done without him. Im looking forward to how he takes to next year.

As I said, I sadly never got to see the European stars in their prime.

I hear you with Magilton and Holland, but I would add Morsy into this category in a heartbeat.
Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:57 - May 22 with 1068 viewsSwansea_Blue

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:52 - May 22 by waveneyblue

I hear you with Magilton and Holland, but I would add Morsy into this category in a heartbeat.

You missed a treat, they were a class above. Warky in his prime and the likes of Muhren. Absolute top class.

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:59 - May 22 with 1050 viewsNthQldITFC

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:52 - May 22 by waveneyblue

I think he's very close. OK, he's not a Frans Thijssen skills wise, or a John Wark goal threat wise, but the bits he does very well - the tenacity, the ball holding under pressure the receiving from the keeper in tight spaces to trigger our attacks - some of our true greats couldn't do those things.

If I was forced to give an overall to rank the players I'd seen (in some cases only a few times live, but on youtube plenty) I'd have Warky and Muhren and Thijssen above Sam, but I'd have Sam in the next echelon with Holland and Magilton. His overall effectiveness is very, very good, and is crucial to the way KMc's team play.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:10 - May 22 with 991 viewsChurchman

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:57 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

You missed a treat, they were a class above. Warky in his prime and the likes of Muhren. Absolute top class.

Agreed. They were different class. Muhren, Thijssen, Wark. I’d include even Noddy Talbot, Colin Viljoen. Top players.

Next level - Holland, Magilton, for the ancients Diesel Peter Morris. If Sam Morsy does well next year, he’ll fall in that bracket for me.

Now captains, as discussed in another thread, he’s well up there. It’s difficult to express how well he has driven the team in the last couple of seasons.
[Post edited 23 May 14:08]
Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:10 - May 22 with 991 viewshoppy

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:59 - May 22 by NthQldITFC

I think he's very close. OK, he's not a Frans Thijssen skills wise, or a John Wark goal threat wise, but the bits he does very well - the tenacity, the ball holding under pressure the receiving from the keeper in tight spaces to trigger our attacks - some of our true greats couldn't do those things.

If I was forced to give an overall to rank the players I'd seen (in some cases only a few times live, but on youtube plenty) I'd have Warky and Muhren and Thijssen above Sam, but I'd have Sam in the next echelon with Holland and Magilton. His overall effectiveness is very, very good, and is crucial to the way KMc's team play.

Pretty much agree with that summary.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:14 - May 22 with 968 viewsSwansea_Blue

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:10 - May 22 by Churchman

Agreed. They were different class. Muhren, Thijssen, Wark. I’d include even Noddy Talbot, Colin Viljoen. Top players.

Next level - Holland, Magilton, for the ancients Diesel Peter Morris. If Sam Morsy does well next year, he’ll fall in that bracket for me.

Now captains, as discussed in another thread, he’s well up there. It’s difficult to express how well he has driven the team in the last couple of seasons.
[Post edited 23 May 14:08]

"If Sam Morsy dies well next year"

Hopefully not! (but yes, largely agree there with those groupings)

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:15 - May 22 with 952 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Agree. He's captained (and occasionally carried) this side through back to back promotions. He obviously isn't as talented as many of those international stars who played before him, but his impact has been massive and we wouldn't have come close without him.
Login to get fewer ads

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:24 - May 22 with 897 viewswaveneyblue

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:57 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Literally just missed them. I starting going to Portman Road regularly in 1986. Just as the rot set in .......
Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:54 - May 22 with 830 viewsVic

In our current context he is absolutely the standout - he is the leader, the heartbeat, the demander of more.

But in comparison to others who have graced our midfield (when the team was a good deal better) I'd say he's a fair way behind the likes of Mills, Wark, Butcher, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, etc.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:59 - May 22 with 812 viewsRobTheMonk

I just love the way he plays.

It almost made me football cry when in the dying minutes of Southampton when our whole team was out on their feet, Morsy one man pressed them back to their goalkeeper.

The epitome of a player who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck when needed.
Morsy - One of the all time best on 15:15 - May 22 with 784 viewstextbackup

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:47 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Football has massively changed since those days though. I watch some of them old games and the football is absolutely crap

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:09 - May 23 with 609 viewsChurchman

Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:14 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

"If Sam Morsy dies well next year"

Hopefully not! (but yes, largely agree there with those groupings)

Ooops! Shouldn’t have watched Gladiator the other week.

Corrected.
Morsy - One of the all time best on 14:30 - May 23 with 554 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Morsy - One of the all time best on 13:59 - May 22 by NthQldITFC

Spot on old bean - post of the week.
And as texters says, football has changed massively, so we need different skills nowadays.

Poll: would you rather

Morsy - One of the all time best on 15:32 - May 23 with 464 viewsBluePG

I’d have him above Magilton and Holland in terms of all-round ability. I, sadly, missed the early 80s to comment on the Dutchmen and Wark in his prime.

What isn’t often mentioned is how he operated like a machine during Ramadan also. No fuel in him, yet he played as if he’d downed a gallon of Lucozade Sport.

Poll: Best Dane?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024