Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pies 08:14 - May 23 with 2282 viewsChurchman

I went for lunch at a place called the Windmill in Sevenoaks the other day. The pie was full of perfectly cooked beef. It was a proper pie with a base. Not one of those con tricks where a load of gravy, chaff and beef are cooked in a dish with a ginormous crust perched on the top.

Now the best pie I ever had was at the Devonshire Arms near Chesterfield. The pinnacle of pies. Steak, steak and ale, steak and mushroom. I’m a broad (too broad!!) church on the pie front.

What is your pie experience and favourite?
Pies on 08:23 - May 23 with 1799 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst `pie` i had was in a pub in Chester. They brought out a bowl of stew with what was a sort of biscuit floating on top, literally floating, it covered about a third of the surface area.

The stew bit tasted alright, but a pie it was not.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Pies on 09:16 - May 23 with 1744 viewsJimmyJazz

Best pies i've experienced were at an indoor market stall in Oxford city centre in the mid 80s. They deviated from the usual pie content (ham + tomato was one) but they were all delicious

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Pies on 09:17 - May 23 with 1737 viewsStokieBlue

The best pies I've had are from Sweeny Todd in Reading, a real institution.

http://www.sweeneyandtodd.co.uk/pies/

I don't think that list is exhaustive, they used to have a chicken, broccoli and stilton which was magnificent.

SB
[Post edited 23 May 9:18]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Pies on 10:35 - May 23 with 1642 viewsDeano69

Pies on 08:23 - May 23 by GeoffSentence

Worst `pie` i had was in a pub in Chester. They brought out a bowl of stew with what was a sort of biscuit floating on top, literally floating, it covered about a third of the surface area.

The stew bit tasted alright, but a pie it was not.

I recall going to a pub in the Levington area many many years ago and the pie that came out was like a tin of dog food (I think its was actually tinned meat) topped a wet pastry top. I have been there since and can assure its much changed and very nice

Poll: Home Kit -v- Away Kit

Pies on 10:49 - May 23 with 1602 viewsChurchman

Pies on 09:17 - May 23 by StokieBlue

The best pies I've had are from Sweeny Todd in Reading, a real institution.

http://www.sweeneyandtodd.co.uk/pies/

I don't think that list is exhaustive, they used to have a chicken, broccoli and stilton which was magnificent.

SB
[Post edited 23 May 9:18]

Great name for a pie emporium too! Chicken broccoli and stilton sounds mmm.

For pub pies, Fullers pubs do some reasonable ones. The minced beef and onion are pretty tasty for a lunchtime snack
Pies on 10:54 - May 23 with 1589 viewsKeno

I like a nice pasty

there I've said it

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Pies on 10:55 - May 23 with 1589 viewsStokieBlue

Pies on 10:49 - May 23 by Churchman

For pub pies, Fullers pubs do some reasonable ones. The minced beef and onion are pretty tasty for a lunchtime snack

Fullers pie pubs are good but unfortunately they seem to be closing a lot of them down and converting them into more trendy establishments with no pies.

A mistake in my view.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Pies on 10:57 - May 23 with 1584 viewsChurchman

Pies on 10:54 - May 23 by Keno

I like a nice pasty

there I've said it

Pasties, wondrous though good ones anre, are not pies. They’re for another distraction from McKenna thread day!
Login to get fewer ads

Pies on 11:01 - May 23 with 1570 viewsleitrimblue

Pies really are the king of foods. I can't even decide my favourite, possibly the classic steak an kidney. Though the pork pie is a work of art even before you add a boiled egg to it.
I believe fish pie may be the only sub standard pie though I once had a chicken tikka slice though obviously not quite a pie was a shockingly poor savoury pastrie
Pies on 11:02 - May 23 with 1559 viewsJakeITFC

Any thoughts on the best pie in Ipswich/Suffolk? Am at a loose end this evening so may go looking (fwiw my answer is Lark in Bury St Edmunds, but not really a roll up and get seat type place!).
Pies on 11:03 - May 23 with 1555 viewsDeano69

Best Pasty, top of Snowdon. Massive thing full of quality and after some terrible conditions getting there it was amazing

Poll: Home Kit -v- Away Kit

Pies on 11:06 - May 23 with 1529 viewsChurchman

Pies on 11:02 - May 23 by JakeITFC

Any thoughts on the best pie in Ipswich/Suffolk? Am at a loose end this evening so may go looking (fwiw my answer is Lark in Bury St Edmunds, but not really a roll up and get seat type place!).

I’m spending a bit more time in Suffolk these days so all Suffolk pie recommendations gratefully received!
Pies on 11:55 - May 23 with 1458 viewsGeoffSentence

Pies on 11:06 - May 23 by Churchman

I’m spending a bit more time in Suffolk these days so all Suffolk pie recommendations gratefully received!

Gainsborough Pie And Mash in Sudbury?

I can't recommend it as I have not been, but I believe it has a good reputation and pies are their thing, home cooked pies, so they ought to be able to do a good one.

Pies on 12:20 - May 23 with 1413 viewsLeaky

Had a nice steak & kidney pie in Scunthorpe years ago. They made one big pie & cut it in quarter's reminded me of school dinner's, the pleasant ones.
Pies on 12:35 - May 23 with 1376 viewsJakeITFC

Pies on 11:55 - May 23 by GeoffSentence

Gainsborough Pie And Mash in Sudbury?

I can't recommend it as I have not been, but I believe it has a good reputation and pies are their thing, home cooked pies, so they ought to be able to do a good one.

Google says permanently closed unfortunately.
Pies on 12:38 - May 23 with 1367 viewsSwansea_Blue

I had a very satisfying pie experience in the mid-90s after dropping off my land rover at Immingham docks for it to be freighted over to Iceland. A couple of hours to kill waiting for a train, so now vehicle-less I naturally went to the nearest pub for lunch. Steak and Ale pie washed down with several pints. It was delicious. I'm not 100% sure where it was, but a quick look on Google it was probably the Station pub, Habrough.

You're going to need a time machine to follow-up on many of the recs in this thread.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pies on 13:07 - May 23 with 1317 viewsGeoffSentence

Pies on 12:35 - May 23 by JakeITFC

Blimey, didnt last long then

Pies on 13:09 - May 23 with 1298 viewsGeoffSentence

Pies on 12:35 - May 23 by JakeITFC

looks like it closed last month.

https://pie-n-mash.com/directory-closed
on the bright sde, thats' a good pie resource.

Pies on 13:13 - May 23 with 1265 viewsParsley

Pies on 10:49 - May 23 by Churchman

Shoutout to Piecaramba! in Winchester for a top tier name, good pies as well from what I can remember
Pies on 13:32 - May 23 with 1219 viewsBlueForYou

Pies on 11:02 - May 23 by JakeITFC

You won't find any pies in there!
Pies on 16:43 - May 23 with 1108 viewsVanSaParody

Pukka pies

Balti

Steak & kidney

Chicken & mushroom
Pies on 16:44 - May 23 with 1090 viewsJakeITFC

Pies on 13:32 - May 23 by BlueForYou

You won't find any pies in there!

Had a beautiful one last time I went - think they are generally on the specials board/tasting menu.
Pies on 16:46 - May 23 with 1078 viewstractorboy1978

The pies in The Dove used to be fantastic - steak and stilton the best. With mash, mushy peas and thick gravy. They stopped doing them a few years ago now though so Balti Shepherds pie it is.
Pies on 16:48 - May 23 with 1066 viewsJ2BLUE

Apple. McDonald's. 6/10

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Pies on 17:04 - May 23 with 1010 views_clive_baker_

Pies on 10:54 - May 23 by Keno

I like a nice pasty

there I've said it

Proper pasties are great. Like proper ones, not the abomination ‘pasties’ you get in a supermarket fridge.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024