Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts + chat with Bart 01:35 - Apr 15 with 2939 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Rare feeling this season as 3 points and good performance alike so really pleased and relieved.
Given results from Fridays afternoon I firmly expected McCarthy to play with 7 defenders but it didn't turn out to be the case.

First half in all honesty was poor and based on that the league table never lied regarding both clubs positions. Berra and Chambers addicted to hoofing. Nothing was going through the central midfield. If only we had had someone in the middle who could have distributed the ball ! Not saying though that it was disastrous. I'm merely pointing out that it should have been better. Burton will have had a few good results of late but don't know how they have done it as they really looked like a lower league opponent at times. McGoldrick once again being a nuisance like he was at Fulham. Lawrence a bit selfish in my opinion today as he liked one on one clashes with their defenders.
Sears fluffed a good chance when a simple shot on target would probably have ended up with a goal but it went well over the bar.

A few minutes before Sears' waste disallowed goal for us but it wasn't possible to see from our end if it was offside.

Last 20 minutes of the first half were a bit annoying as we basically invited Burton to have a go at us. Fortunately though they lacked quality upfront but their wingers were handed acres of space at times. Our ex-target Michael Kightly was their biggest threat and he still has a lot of quality to offer at this level.

Something must have been said by McCarthy in the dressing room as change of shape and attitude reaped the rewards. From the first ref's whistle after the interval it was a kind of performance that will have left travelling support really pleased. To be cynical it was anti-Mick McCarthy's one as we were quick, energetic and never sat back. Surprisingly the team never looked content with a draw and were much better than Burton for the majority of second half.

Quick goal following probably the only one good Lawrence's delivery from corner. Still better team afterwards and certainly closer than them to score another goal.
Kenlock's long run with the ball ended with the pass to Sears. His initial shot was saved by McLaughlin but a follow-up was a formality. 2-0 that perfectly exemplified the proceedings.

5 minutes from the time Burton score from penalty and here we go again. Things can never be smooth with Ipswich. 2-2 away at Brentford springs to my mind and I'm saying: 'oh no I cannot have that again'.

A minute after Pitman could have put the game to bed but he shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Really big pressure and nerves in the final few minutes as Burton attacked with fury. Bart's bar came to the rescue.

Final whistle meant a big relief. Deserved win for the 2nd half in particular where we've seen a dominant Ipswich team not the usual one trying to snatch a draw.

McGoldrick was our stand-out player by far. When fully fit and raring to go always very dangerous and that was the case today and can he play like that every week?
Kenlock a mare at Fulham last week complete contrast today. Very impressive.

Skuse? The player whom I criticise very often. It would have been a big sin if I had said a bad word about him today. Reliable, calm and assured but I'd also like him to pass balls towards strikers.

Lawrence ... as I've said above a bit selfish as he wanted to be Cristiano Ronaldo at times but he certainly caused a few problems.

Chambers? When playing a central back always far more useful than as a right back.

Ward was disappointing in my opinion.

Very tiny ground which actually looks bigger on TV.

After the game I was with the group of our fans who themselves would wait for the players. My intention was to have another meeting with Bart (had the first one at Barnsley) and once again he came across really well. Tried to get from him which Premiership club has been after him but he answered with a shy smile that there was something and let's leave it as it is at the moment. Told him myself that even tough he'd been with Southampton and Notts County he'll be loved and remembered by Ipswich fans most for his contribution with us and he said to me that he feels appreciated and this is his job as a professional to play as good as possible. He also said that he doesn't know if he will depart or stay. Asked him if he is going back to Poland after his career has finished he said that no matter if he joins a different club or not he and his family is going to stay in Ipswich for the rest of his life as they love the area.
We also spoke about McCarthy. He said that the entire team was fully behind him. He also said that people cannot forget what he has done for the club given LACK OF SUPPORT from Evans. I said to him that people appreciate that but part of support weren't happy with his remarks about the fans. I asked him too whether he thought that McCarthy has been too obsessed with the defensive aspect of the game. Bart said that every opponent is analysed before we play them and then McCarthy decides what system we are going to use.
Bart has also said that the team wasn't happy with the treatment of Jonathan Douglas. I told him that Douglas has been an automatic scapegoat for some morons any time when things weren't going well. Bart was asking why it is like that. He's said Douglas plays as good as he can at his age and what else do people expect from him? And Bart was dead right as the way some people treat Douglas is nothing short of disgusting.
When I told him about my worries regarding ITFC future (my prediticion is the relegation is the next couple of years) he said he couldn't comment about Evans because he doesn't know the club's plans.

Nice chat which has been a buckle of the day. So we have a summer. A bit of rest after very frustrating season. The next one is going to be an ordeal but not thinking about that today. Today has been a good away day, nice pre-match time in the Beech Inn pub, good and encouraging Town performance in the 2nd half, 3 points, chat with Bart. There is nothing else I can ask for regarding today. See you at Rotherham and enjoy the Newcastle match !
[Post edited 15 Apr 2017 1:43]
Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 01:40 - Apr 15 with 2863 viewspointofblue

Thanks for that - great post.

Can't help but feel that Bart's going to leave in the summer.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2017 1:41]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 02:17 - Apr 15 with 2791 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Thanks for that.

For those saying that I was talking rubbish about abusing Douglas being something that would help Bart leave, this looks like a good conversation to back up my point.

Poll: Best Football Song

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 02:42 - Apr 15 with 2740 viewsIllinoisblue

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 01:40 - Apr 15 by pointofblue

Thanks for that - great post.

Can't help but feel that Bart's going to leave in the summer.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2017 1:41]

Bart deserves a shot at the premier league. Sadly it won't be with us. 5millionn seems about right.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 04:14 - Apr 15 with 2665 viewsBenters

Great stuff Mach.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 08:48 - Apr 15 with 2394 viewsFixed_It

Nice one! :)

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 08:52 - Apr 15 with 2363 viewsITFC_Forever

Huws was trying to come and get the ball off the defence, there was one moment in the first half he came deep and demanded the ball from Chambers / Berra (forget which), took it forward a few yards and played a lovely pass to Sears.... exactly more like it and hopefully something can be done to sign Emyr up permanently.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 09:18 - Apr 15 with 2272 viewsRonFearonsHair

A far more interesting and enlightening player interview than any of the official ones we get fed with every week. Cheers!
Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 09:21 - Apr 15 with 2254 viewsNo9

Thanks- best GK Town have had for a very long while & if he does move on he will be sorely missed
Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 09:25 - Apr 15 with 2232 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 08:52 - Apr 15 by ITFC_Forever

Huws was trying to come and get the ball off the defence, there was one moment in the first half he came deep and demanded the ball from Chambers / Berra (forget which), took it forward a few yards and played a lovely pass to Sears.... exactly more like it and hopefully something can be done to sign Emyr up permanently.

I thought Huws was excellent again. He dominated in the air and did a bit if everything in his game last night. I was concerned when he started to drop so deep to pick up the ball but he actually drove us forward when he was on the ball. We have to sign him.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 10:49 - Apr 15 with 2067 viewsSteve_M

Yes, it was fun last night. Mainly.

I'm sure Bart will go as he'll get a very good offer as somewhere, he deserves the chance too. Glad he knows how well appreciated he is here though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 10:50 - Apr 15 with 2057 viewsHerbivore

Interesting read, cheers Mach.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 10:57 - Apr 15 with 2032 viewsMJallday

" He also said that people cannot forget what he has done for the club given LACK OF SUPPORT from Evans. "

pretty much confirms what we all knew

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 12:17 - Apr 15 with 1911 viewsleekstroker

Interesting post, although your whole piece fails to even mention Emyr Huws, who I thought was Ipswich Town's standout player last night. Particularly in the second half, he ran the game, kept possession when we were under pressure and played accurate passes short and long. Lawrence and McGoldrick put in 100% effort, but never looked incisive, or even provided much of a goal threat. In fact, I thought Burton were very poor particularly defensively and was somewhat bemused why it wasn't 0-3 at half time. With respect, reading your post again I'm wondering whether we were at the same game? I suppose that's why we all love football though. Opinion.
Match thoughts + chat with Bart on 16:30 - Apr 15 with 1740 viewsSwn98

Wow great coup getting to chat to Bart after the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024