Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. 12:22 - Jun 19 with 6626 viewsBergholtBru

Does anybody think a period of coalition (across all parties) government, as in the war, would be a good idea? If not, why not?

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:25 - Jun 19 with 5456 viewsblue_oyster

No. Strong leadership is always best.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:26 - Jun 19 with 5448 viewsRyorry

Absolutely, yes.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:32 - Jun 19 with 5423 viewsBlueBadger

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:25 - Jun 19 by blue_oyster

No. Strong leadership is always best.

So, given that we don't currently have that, you're in favour.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:34 - Jun 19 with 5423 viewshomer_123

I suspect I'm in a minority here to be honest.

Things may feel divisive and the media (all outlets) do exacerbate this feeling as well. However, I think it's more a perception than a reality to be honest.

We've just been discussing something similar in the office and the consensus was consistent - people 'feel' we are divided but actually, when it comes down to it - everyone in the office was the same, it's not markedly different from 5 years ago or 45 years ago (in some cases).

The single biggest change is that we are all subjected to waves of news and information about such events. Years ago, there was very little coverage - now there there's loads.

I also think that people (and I include myself in this sometimes) are far too quick to jump to conclusions, take information on face value and not be open to debate and others viewpoints. I think the Internet, although put forward as a tool for open, free speech and sharing has actually made this worse, it's polarised people - there is no middle ground in debate.

All that being said, I do accept that 'perception is reality' and if people feel we are a divided country then something must be done to start to address those perceptions.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 13:02]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:37 - Jun 19 with 5396 viewsblue_oyster

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:32 - Jun 19 by BlueBadger

So, given that we don't currently have that, you're in favour.

Why would I be, when I just stated that I wasn't and gave the reason?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:38 - Jun 19 with 5383 viewsBlueBadger

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:37 - Jun 19 by blue_oyster

Why would I be, when I just stated that I wasn't and gave the reason?

Trouble is, that reason falls down, because the country is currently being led by a lame-duck PM being propped up by gang of terror supporting religious fanatics.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:39 - Jun 19 with 5377 viewsgiant_stow

Yes, I increasingly believe its essential even.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:43 - Jun 19 with 5362 viewsDarth_Koont

You mean like a temporary state of emergency or do you mean that political debate should be more grown-up and look for consensus?

If it's the latter, that should be the permanent state of our politics, not just an artificial period of "solidarity".

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:46 - Jun 19 with 5351 viewsBlueBadger

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:39 - Jun 19 by giant_stow

Yes, I increasingly believe its essential even.

I don't know why this wasn't already A Thing. If we can having a cross party working group for dance, folk arts, marine energy and tidal lagoons and youth hostelling, I don't see why it can't work for a matter of massive constitutional upheaval likely to affect the country for decades.
Particularly when you consider the three thickos that are doing the job at the moment.

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:50 - Jun 19 with 5327 viewsBergholtBru

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:38 - Jun 19 by BlueBadger

Trouble is, that reason falls down, because the country is currently being led by a lame-duck PM being propped up by gang of terror supporting religious fanatics.

You can think what you will about the DUP but I assume you would have been happy to have a minority Labour Government propped up by the SNP!?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:51 - Jun 19 with 5316 viewsBlueBadger

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:50 - Jun 19 by BergholtBru

You can think what you will about the DUP but I assume you would have been happy to have a minority Labour Government propped up by the SNP!?

Neither situation's any bloody good to us, given that they invariably lead to paralysis in government and yet more bloody elections. All the while, the clock's ticking on the Brusterf*ck clock.

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:53 - Jun 19 with 5306 viewsPlums

It's the will of the people

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:54 - Jun 19 with 5300 viewsbluelagos

In terms of Brexit negotiations, absolutely a coalition team would be a great idea. Kier Starmer has shown himself to be very articulate and fair in his Brexit role and I think May would be very sensible to invite him to join the current team.

Brexit is way too important an issue to put party politics ahead of getting the best deal for the county. Very unlikely to happen, but would be very welcome for me.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:54 - Jun 19 with 5300 viewsDarth_Koont

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:50 - Jun 19 by BergholtBru

Of course.

The UKIP-flirting Tories getting into bed with the DUP is an awful solution for where we are as a country and what we need for the future.

Sustained investment in the fabric of society (housing, health, education and welfare) is needed. As is a better working relationship with our foreign partners who we need more than they need us as an individual country.

Pronouns: He/Him

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:59 - Jun 19 with 5272 viewsStokieBlue

What would be the point?

Corbyn's politics are completely different, they clearly would never agree on anything and nothing would get done. Let's not exaggerate here, it's not been great lately but it's far from WW2.

In the end we had an election and people voted the way they did. Having cross-party groups for certain things would be a good idea though, Brexit clearly being the biggest one.

SB
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 13:01]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:10 - Jun 19 with 5222 viewsNo9

Yes & No
the present mob have dug a great big hole & show no signs of being able to get out of it.

They would love for A.N. Other to come in dig them out then take the balme.

If you watched the Docudrama on BBC2 last night you can only be horrified at what a bunch of cretins this mob really is
With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:14 - Jun 19 with 5204 viewsvapour_trail

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:59 - Jun 19 by StokieBlue

What would be the point?

Corbyn's politics are completely different, they clearly would never agree on anything and nothing would get done. Let's not exaggerate here, it's not been great lately but it's far from WW2.

In the end we had an election and people voted the way they did. Having cross-party groups for certain things would be a good idea though, Brexit clearly being the biggest one.

SB
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 13:01]

Exactly. The ideological differences between the two parties are too great. It wouldn't work.

Starmer should be in the brexit team though, as he's better qualified than anyone in the Tory ranks. No reason why that piece of work can't be cross party.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:15 - Jun 19 with 5200 viewsblue_oyster

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:38 - Jun 19 by BlueBadger

That may be so, but why does it affect my reason?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:18 - Jun 19 with 5189 viewsNo9

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:14 - Jun 19 by vapour_trail

Exactly. The ideological differences between the two parties are too great. It wouldn't work.

Starmer should be in the brexit team though, as he's better qualified than anyone in the Tory ranks. No reason why that piece of work can't be cross party.

Don't forget Brexit was all about - Me! Me! Me! & she screwed up badly.

Macron & Merkel will set a new path for the EU, the other 27 will buy in and they will move forward.

Most Europeans I speak to see the UK leaving as the anchor being hauled up.

Labour, or anyone else would be mad to get involved in this as they will only get the blame
With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:18 - Jun 19 with 5183 viewsBlueBadger

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:15 - Jun 19 by blue_oyster

That may be so, but why does it affect my reason?

Because it utterly undermines it?

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:21 - Jun 19 with 5172 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Nope. Policies and views are poles apart, and the current government have every right to form a new government.

Don't see any reason or benefit of a coalition with a party who came second by a long way.

My view would be the same if Labour had won.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:23 - Jun 19 with 5157 viewsblue_oyster

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:18 - Jun 19 by BlueBadger

Because it utterly undermines it?

How??

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:29 - Jun 19 with 5137 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 12:34 - Jun 19 by homer_123

I suspect I'm in a minority here to be honest.

Things may feel divisive and the media (all outlets) do exacerbate this feeling as well. However, I think it's more a perception than a reality to be honest.

We've just been discussing something similar in the office and the consensus was consistent - people 'feel' we are divided but actually, when it comes down to it - everyone in the office was the same, it's not markedly different from 5 years ago or 45 years ago (in some cases).

The single biggest change is that we are all subjected to waves of news and information about such events. Years ago, there was very little coverage - now there there's loads.

I also think that people (and I include myself in this sometimes) are far too quick to jump to conclusions, take information on face value and not be open to debate and others viewpoints. I think the Internet, although put forward as a tool for open, free speech and sharing has actually made this worse, it's polarised people - there is no middle ground in debate.

All that being said, I do accept that 'perception is reality' and if people feel we are a divided country then something must be done to start to address those perceptions.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 13:02]

Good post.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:34 - Jun 19 with 5107 viewsBlueBadger

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:23 - Jun 19 by blue_oyster

How??

For the reasons I underlined above.

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:35 - Jun 19 with 5105 viewsBergholtBru

With all the divisions and problems in this country at present. on 13:21 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nope. Policies and views are poles apart, and the current government have every right to form a new government.

Don't see any reason or benefit of a coalition with a party who came second by a long way.

My view would be the same if Labour had won.

You`re right, current government have every right to form a government. Also correct, views are poles apart, but given that most peoples views lie somewhere between the two main parties perhaps they should both bury some of their differences and govern for the WHOLE country, black and white, rich or poor( can`t remember the rest of this ditty ).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024