Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? 22:01 - Jun 19 with 6239 viewsVic

About to coach England U21s to European semi's.

Things are looking good at most levels below the main team - maybe the future is bright after all.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 22:05 - Jun 19 with 6215 viewschristiand

They're not there yet, all four teams could still yet qualify for the semi final - makes for an exciting final round of games from England's group. Spain, Germany and Portugal look a level above us.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 22:12 - Jun 19 with 6188 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't believe Redmond is only 23. He seems to have been around forever.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 22:17 - Jun 19 with 6162 viewschristiand

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 22:12 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

I can't believe Redmond is only 23. He seems to have been around forever.

He looked very confident today, comfortable and assured in possession. Looked a good leader for younger and less experienced players.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 22:36 - Jun 19 with 6098 viewsDinnernotTea

Didn't Southgate or Pearce's both get to the final? So no difference in the future. Biggest ever problem for England is once you get amongst the big boys of world football the 'stars' of English football get lost without their more talented foreign team mates carrying them.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 23:08 - Jun 19 with 6022 viewsITFCBlues

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 22:36 - Jun 19 by DinnernotTea

Didn't Southgate or Pearce's both get to the final? So no difference in the future. Biggest ever problem for England is once you get amongst the big boys of world football the 'stars' of English football get lost without their more talented foreign team mates carrying them.

Our youth teams are excellent up until U21 which is when they fade away as other sides have a lot more experience in terms of first team games.

The premier League maybe exciting but the money destroys the national team

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 07:38 - Jun 20 with 5857 viewsITFC_Forever

Yes.
And he only got the England job as his Best Man is one of the bosses at the FA.... or something like that - can't remember the exact detail.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 7:39]

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:13 - Jun 20 with 5801 viewsitfcjoe

I take it you didn't watch the game, or Saturday's one v Sweden?

We were dreadful yesterday, had a good 10 minute spell after half time where we managed to score twice - but this team is underachieving with him in charge because he can't set it up to play fluidly. Attack and midfield have no link between them. It's a travesty he is in charge of English kids football

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:31 - Jun 20 with 5761 viewstractorshark

I always think this 'long-ball merchant' tag is a bit flawed.
It's been levelled at Allardyce, Pulis, McCarthy, Boothroyd and Warnock.
But better players allow you to play better football.
Barcelona, Chelsea, Man Utd all play long balls, it's just when Iniesta fires a 40-yard pass it's accurate and cooed over and when Luke Chambers does it, it's aimless and derided.
The difference is quality of player.
Those managers I've mentioned know that. They therefore play to the team's strengths, they come up with tactics that will put the ball in dangerous areas and frustrate the opposition by stopping them playing.
It's not pretty and opposition managers, players and fans hate it, which is where the tag starts.
Look at Allardyce and Mourinho, Pulis and Wenger.
But if you've gained that label, it probably means you have been successful and been around long enough to ruffle a few feathers.
But if Pulis had Messi at his disposal would he just lump it? No. He proved that in his latter days at Stoke even if his critics will still tell you he's a hoof merchant.
Ipswich fans will say McCarthy would lump it long at Barcelona but he showed at Wolves his team's are capable of better football.
Like I say 'long-ball merchant' is an easy and lazy stick to beat someone with.
But the reality is it's more 'awkward bast**d who gets stuck in and doesn't roll over for the pretty boys'.
Login to get fewer ads

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:35 - Jun 20 with 5754 viewsReuser_is_God

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 07:38 - Jun 20 by ITFC_Forever

Yes.
And he only got the England job as his Best Man is one of the bosses at the FA.... or something like that - can't remember the exact detail.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 7:39]

Yeah, best mates with Dan Ashworth.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:38 - Jun 20 with 5746 viewsKieran_Knows

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:13 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

We were dreadful yesterday, had a good 10 minute spell after half time where we managed to score twice - but this team is underachieving with him in charge because he can't set it up to play fluidly. Attack and midfield have no link between them. It's a travesty he is in charge of English kids football

Managed to watch the second half of yesterday's game ... both Pearce and Kirkland in the studio were saying how well we played in the second half (!!!), and I was left wondering whether I was watching a different game. We were absolutely trash, couldn't keep hold of the ball at all.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:40 - Jun 20 with 5742 viewsdavblue

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:13 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

yeah he shouldn't be anywhere near our development teams.

The fact he's pals with Ashworth doesn't paint Ashworth in a positive light. Jobs for mates rather than appointing the correct manager.

Very concerning that the man in charge of overseeing our youth structure is appointing mates who has no track record of playing the type of football that was pinpointed in the manifesto of the FA.
Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:52 - Jun 20 with 5708 viewsitfcjoe

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:31 - Jun 20 by tractorshark

Barcelona, Chelsea, Man Utd all play long balls, it's just when Iniesta fires a 40-yard pass it's accurate and cooed over and when Luke Chambers does it, it's aimless and derided.
Those managers I've mentioned know that. They therefore play to the team's strengths, they come up with tactics that will put the ball in dangerous areas and frustrate the opposition by stopping them playing.
It's not pretty and opposition managers, players and fans hate it, which is where the tag starts.
But if you've gained that label, it probably means you have been successful and been around long enough to ruffle a few feathers.
But if Pulis had Messi at his disposal would he just lump it? No. He proved that in his latter days at Stoke even if his critics will still tell you he's a hoof merchant.
Ipswich fans will say McCarthy would lump it long at Barcelona but he showed at Wolves his team's are capable of better football.
But the reality is it's more 'awkward bast**d who gets stuck in and doesn't roll over for the pretty boys'.

Whilst i don't disagree in general football, and ultimately there is more than one way to skin a cat as the success of Allardyce, Pulis and to a lesser extent McCarthy has shown....Boothroyd is in charge of a development team.

His record post one great season at Watford which was a decade ago is pretty woeful - his last club job saw him leave Northampton rock bottom off the football league.

The performances his England youth sides have put out at 19, 20 and now 21 level aren not befitting of the 'DNA' that England teams are supposed to play with, it's like when Noel Blake was in charge.

Dan Ashworth has written this DNA, and seems to be the main man at the FA but he has given his mate a job who is unsuited to what is trying to be done - it has to make you badly question his judgement

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:53 - Jun 20 with 5702 viewsitfcjoe

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:40 - Jun 20 by davblue

yeah he shouldn't be anywhere near our development teams.

The fact he's pals with Ashworth doesn't paint Ashworth in a positive light. Jobs for mates rather than appointing the correct manager.

Very concerning that the man in charge of overseeing our youth structure is appointing mates who has no track record of playing the type of football that was pinpointed in the manifesto of the FA.

It's a massive issue, and a huge flaw for someone who has seemingly been given the keys to everything

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:59 - Jun 20 with 5679 viewstractorshark

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:52 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

Whilst i don't disagree in general football, and ultimately there is more than one way to skin a cat as the success of Allardyce, Pulis and to a lesser extent McCarthy has shown....Boothroyd is in charge of a development team.

His record post one great season at Watford which was a decade ago is pretty woeful - his last club job saw him leave Northampton rock bottom off the football league.

The performances his England youth sides have put out at 19, 20 and now 21 level aren not befitting of the 'DNA' that England teams are supposed to play with, it's like when Noel Blake was in charge.

Dan Ashworth has written this DNA, and seems to be the main man at the FA but he has given his mate a job who is unsuited to what is trying to be done - it has to make you badly question his judgement

Don't disagree with any of that and, for the record, I'd prefer to see a more prettier brand of football at Ipswich.
I was just pointing out that the long-ball jibe is often a myth.
Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:03 - Jun 20 with 5666 viewssolemio

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 08:31 - Jun 20 by tractorshark

Agreed. What he was expert at was getting his teams wasting time when winning with a few minutes to go.
Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:12 - Jun 20 with 5656 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really dumb question, but how are 23 year old players able to play for the U21s? I could understand a 22 year old playing, but surely the 23 year olds must have been at least 22 at the start of the season?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:15 - Jun 20 with 5644 viewsKieran_Knows

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:12 - Jun 20 by Swansea_Blue

Really dumb question, but how are 23 year old players able to play for the U21s? I could understand a 22 year old playing, but surely the 23 year olds must have been at least 22 at the start of the season?

I presume it was when qualifying for the tournament started? Which I presume was 18 months - 2 years ago.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 9:17]

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:16 - Jun 20 with 5642 viewsSwansea_Blue

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:15 - Jun 20 by Kieran_Knows

I presume it was when qualifying for the tournament started? Which I presume was 18 months - 2 years ago.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 9:17]

That would make sense, thanks. Still a strange one for me, but I suppose splitting a squad half way through a campaign wouldn't be ideal either.

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:18 - Jun 20 with 5627 viewsKieran_Knows

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:16 - Jun 20 by Swansea_Blue

That would make sense, thanks. Still a strange one for me, but I suppose splitting a squad half way through a campaign wouldn't be ideal either.

T'is the only explanation I can think of. About time Redmond kicked on and tried making a claim for the first team anyway. Must be close to Milners record caps for under 21's level!

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:28 - Jun 20 with 5596 viewsSwansea_Blue

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 09:18 - Jun 20 by Kieran_Knows

T'is the only explanation I can think of. About time Redmond kicked on and tried making a claim for the first team anyway. Must be close to Milners record caps for under 21's level!

Yep, 36 caps! He had a reasonable season with Southampton by the looks of it, but suspect the usual suspects at the bigger clubs will be ahead of of him whether deserving or not.

Aidy Boothroyd - wasn't he supposed to be a long ball merchant? on 17:40 - Jun 20 with 5426 viewsWickets

Similair to my personal thoughts, nothing wrong with playing long ball into the chanels , nothing wrong with clearing your lines when under pressure just as long as you remember to mix it up with some passing movements also. I would say we have been playing too much long ball of late mostly, in my humble opinion because of a lack of a passing central mid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024