Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... 13:17 - Sep 5 with 9432 viewsITFC_Forever

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/ipswich-town-5-bolton-wanderers-3

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:25 - Sep 5 with 7614 viewsVic

Great fun.

Actually reads like one of Mullets match reports!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:30 - Sep 5 with 7610 viewsSWGF

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:25 - Sep 5 by Vic

Great fun.

Actually reads like one of Mullets match reports!

#oxymoron

Edit: Having seen the author, I'm sure Mullet will be more chuffed with the comparison out of the two!
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 13:32]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:44 - Sep 5 with 7553 viewsSteve_M

That is excellent from Nick, it really could only have been written quite like that by a Town fan. I don't need to re-watch the goals from either leg to know exactly how they went in - although I'm certainly not averse to doing that either.

The Firkin really was heaving for that Man City match; TWTD indeed.

I'm still convinced Whtlow had been booked already, as I was shouting at Knight to send him off every chance he had in the second half (and there were a lot of those in the second half) so at the time I saw it as the most deserved second yellow card ever.

Ah feck it, here are the goals:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:46 - Sep 5 with 7534 viewsITFC_Forever

Must admit, I had completely not remembered / not noticed at the time that McGreal didn't play in the second leg.

Was he injured?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 14:21 - Sep 5 with 7433 viewsSuperfrans

Fabulous piece. Nick Ames is an excellent writer. Usually like eveything he does for the Guardian too.

This is a really astute piece from a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/25/ipswich-town-mick-mccarthy-good

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 14:21 - Sep 5 with 7427 viewsITFC_Forever

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 14:21 - Sep 5 by Superfrans

Fabulous piece. Nick Ames is an excellent writer. Usually like eveything he does for the Guardian too.

This is a really astute piece from a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/25/ipswich-town-mick-mccarthy-good

If only we had someone on here like that....

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 14:48 - Sep 5 with 7360 viewsBent_double

Brilliant. Actually got goosebumps just reading that! TWTD...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 14:59 - Sep 5 with 7338 viewsGogs

That's a great read. Nothing has come close to that night at Portman road for excitement since then. That match had absolutely everything. No game sticks in the memory more, including the play off final. I went up to the fat cat after the game, good old lock in and upstairs to watch the highlights in John the landlord's lounge.
Login to get fewer ads

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 15:03 - Sep 5 with 7317 viewsRyorry

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:44 - Sep 5 by Steve_M

That is excellent from Nick, it really could only have been written quite like that by a Town fan. I don't need to re-watch the goals from either leg to know exactly how they went in - although I'm certainly not averse to doing that either.

The Firkin really was heaving for that Man City match; TWTD indeed.

I'm still convinced Whtlow had been booked already, as I was shouting at Knight to send him off every chance he had in the second half (and there were a lot of those in the second half) so at the time I saw it as the most deserved second yellow card ever.

Ah feck it, here are the goals:

Magic, Magic, Magic ... full streaming mode at Ryorry Ranch means I now can't see through my specs, and my trackpad's gonna need a Kleenex too!

How hugely we owe him - and will we ever, ever, have another team that can play like that? OMG, I'd forgotten how impressive we were.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 21:39 - Sep 5 with 6975 viewsWonky

Jeez what a game it was, what an atmosphere. If you weren't there believe the stories it was that good.
Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 21:50 - Sep 5 with 6939 viewsRyorry

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 21:39 - Sep 5 by Wonky

Jeez what a game it was, what an atmosphere. If you weren't there believe the stories it was that good.

I remember it on here - it was like riding a rollercoaster in an F1 car whilst drunk and hearing your favourite track on speakers the size of Big Ben!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 22:06 - Sep 5 with 6899 viewsAdmiralFunge

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 21:39 - Sep 5 by Wonky

I honestly didn't celebrate when Magilton got his third; I couldn't really understand what had happened.

That soon passed though. I went about 5 rows forward when Reuser scored, and then was on the pitch at the end.

What a game.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 22:11 - Sep 5 with 6878 viewsStNeotsBlue

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 22:06 - Sep 5 by AdmiralFunge

I honestly didn't celebrate when Magilton got his third; I couldn't really understand what had happened.

That soon passed though. I went about 5 rows forward when Reuser scored, and then was on the pitch at the end.

What a game.

After the mass pitch invasion at the end, I turned to my mate to say something and he was crying his eyes out, I pretended not to notice and made a point of ignoring him while the daft sod composed himself.
Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 23:32 - Sep 5 with 6761 viewsBOjK

Magnificent reading. Captures almost everything I remember from the game.

I'd forgotten that the abolition of away goals helped us in the end.

And to those who hope for it to come round again - it won't. That match was years in the making. The play-off failures. Burley's talented but sometimes soft-centred teams. Allardyce's thuggish tactics. The astonishing atmosphere.

We could win 6-5 or 10-9 in the play-offs and it wouldn't be like that. Couldn't be like that.

Oh. At half-time the woman who would become Mrs BOjK turned to me and said "let's go". If she had persuaded me to leave we wouldn't be married now. Missing that game would have scarred me for life. That game WAS life.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 23:33 - Sep 5 with 6757 viewsBOjK

Actually, it was even better than that.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 09:21 - Sep 6 with 6564 viewsBOjK

Also ... as if to remind ourselves this was football from a different age the game wasn't televised.

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:53 - Sep 6 with 6481 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 23:32 - Sep 5 by BOjK

Magnificent reading. Captures almost everything I remember from the game.

I'd forgotten that the abolition of away goals helped us in the end.

And to those who hope for it to come round again - it won't. That match was years in the making. The play-off failures. Burley's talented but sometimes soft-centred teams. Allardyce's thuggish tactics. The astonishing atmosphere.

We could win 6-5 or 10-9 in the play-offs and it wouldn't be like that. Couldn't be like that.

Oh. At half-time the woman who would become Mrs BOjK turned to me and said "let's go". If she had persuaded me to leave we wouldn't be married now. Missing that game would have scarred me for life. That game WAS life.

Did away goals actually save us or has that become some kind of distorted urban myth? I thought even before then they only came into force after extra time, so would have won anyway (although obviously ET may have gone differently in that event)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:56 - Sep 6 with 6480 viewsITFC_Forever

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:53 - Sep 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Did away goals actually save us or has that become some kind of distorted urban myth? I thought even before then they only came into force after extra time, so would have won anyway (although obviously ET may have gone differently in that event)

Yes, as it was 2-2 at the Reebook and 3-3 at PR, so therefore, if away goals had still been operating, we'd have been out.

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:58 - Sep 6 with 6473 viewsSteve_M

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:56 - Sep 6 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, as it was 2-2 at the Reebook and 3-3 at PR, so therefore, if away goals had still been operating, we'd have been out.

But the previous year it was 0-1 and 3-2 at full time of the second leg and that went to extra time despite Bolton's away goals. Two more goals in extra time and they went through 4-4 on away goals.

So Healey must be right that they only counted after extra time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 11:00 - Sep 6 with 6455 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:56 - Sep 6 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, but I thought they didn't apply until AET anyway? Year before we lost 1-0 at Bolton and was then 3-2 (or was it 2-1) after normal time at home, so went to ET where we eventually lost on away goals?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 11:00 - Sep 6 with 6454 viewsITFC_Forever

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:58 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

But the previous year it was 0-1 and 3-2 at full time of the second leg and that went to extra time despite Bolton's away goals. Two more goals in extra time and they went through 4-4 on away goals.

That's true, I hadn't thought about the 1999 semis as well.

Does seem ridiculous that a side finishing lower in the league has a better chance of going through as they have more time to score the away goals.

Hurrah for Sheepy.

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 11:01 - Sep 6 with 6448 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 10:58 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

Yep this, knew I wasn't going mad

They maybe helped change the dynamic of extra time a bit, but it's definitely been overstated over time. Nice story though!

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 13:32 - Sep 6 with 6310 viewsDBaldy

Outstanding article, thanks for posting.
Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 14:42 - Sep 6 with 6240 viewsRadlett_blue

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 11:00 - Sep 6 by ITFC_Forever

That's true, I hadn't thought about the 1999 semis as well.

Does seem ridiculous that a side finishing lower in the league has a better chance of going through as they have more time to score the away goals.

Hurrah for Sheepy.

Though the higher placed team has the advantage of playing the extra 30 minutes at home.
however, I think the "away goals" rule is unfair anyway. Was a relic of European competitions where many away teams packed defences & played for 0-0 in the first leg.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Excellent piece on the Bolton semi-final in 2000 doing the rounds on Twitter.... on 16:09 - Sep 6 with 6174 viewsmediamatt

What a brilliant read!
This has brought it all back. Halcyon days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024