Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Facebook on US elections... just wow 09:09 - Oct 31 with 6294 viewsunstableblue

This seems like a big news story to me and surely Russia needs to be severely punished for this.

In summary Facebook have had to release proven metrics on Russia interference in the US election - anti-Democrat - and it’s actually 80,000 ‘divisive’ political news stories which reached 126m Facebook users. 126m.

It’s as if they’d flown planes over major cities chucking out pamphlets.

Mental. The internet is a strange phenomenon.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:15 - Oct 31 with 5280 viewsGavTWTD

Facebook has so much power it's scary

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:16 - Oct 31 with 5278 viewsfactual_blue

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:15 - Oct 31 by GavTWTD

'Facebook - indulging idiocy everywhere'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:18 - Oct 31 with 5277 viewsSteve_M

I did see a comment this morning to the effect that Facebook either has to admit culpability or that it's advertising model doesn't do what they have previously claimed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:27 - Oct 31 with 5256 viewsStokieBlue

How exactly do you plan to severely punish Russia?

What have they actually done? Surely it's Facebook who should be the ones in trouble here for allowing such material. However then you get to the issue of freedom of speech so surely such material should be allowed.

So what exactly have the Russian operatives done wrong? Is there censorship on Facebook or is there free speech?

I believe the 80,000 figure is from before and after the election.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:28 - Oct 31 with 5249 viewsStokieBlue

Careful, your Facebook app is listening to you and watching what you type.

You'll get told off on your newsfeed later.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:31 - Oct 31 with 5240 viewschicoazul

Zuck is going to be President one day. What a world.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:33 - Oct 31 with 5227 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

When you say "reached", that would mean they flew past someone's line of vision as they scrolled to the next puppy video !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:21 - Oct 31 with 5158 viewsunstableblue

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 09:33 - Oct 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

When you say "reached", that would mean they flew past someone's line of vision as they scrolled to the next puppy video !

Completely agree. And it would be interesting to understand what influence the campaign really had, but certainly the vitriol towards Clinton was widespread and deep. Perhaps she deserved some of it.

But whether it was effective or not, it was intent. Is it not a state sponsored intervention in a foreign election?

There were many other factors of course. I mean I'm not sure how ethical Farage going over as the poster child of Brexit disobedience was!

Just thought they were interesting metrics anyway.

I frickin loathe Facebook myself.

Login to get fewer ads

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:35 - Oct 31 with 5129 viewsBluesquid

Probably not what you want to hear but yesterday from Google...

"Some have raised questions about the use of YouTube by RT, a media service funded by the Russian government. Our investigation found no evidence of manipulation of our platform or policy violations; RT–and all other state-sponsored media outlets– remains subject to our
standard rules."
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 12:37]
Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:37 - Oct 31 with 5117 viewsSteve_M

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:35 - Oct 31 by Bluesquid

Probably not what you want to hear but yesterday from Google...

"Some have raised questions about the use of YouTube by RT, a media service funded by the Russian government. Our investigation found no evidence of manipulation of our platform or policy violations; RT–and all other state-sponsored media outlets– remains subject to our
standard rules."
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 12:37]

None of which means that RT isn't a state-owned and state-directed propaganda platform.

*awaits inevitable down arrow*

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:48 - Oct 31 with 5099 viewsBluesquid

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:37 - Oct 31 by Steve_M

None of which means that RT isn't a state-owned and state-directed propaganda platform.

No but it states "Our investigation found no evidence of manipulation of our platform or policy violations".

I wonder if The Guardian/BBC/Sky/The Telegraph etc etc will be covering this story?
Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:18 - Oct 31 with 5041 viewsMJallday

if you base your voting decision based on what you read on tw@tbook - then you deserve all you get tbh

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:19 - Oct 31 with 5040 viewslowhouseblue

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:48 - Oct 31 by Bluesquid

No but it states "Our investigation found no evidence of manipulation of our platform or policy violations".

I wonder if The Guardian/BBC/Sky/The Telegraph etc etc will be covering this story?

i'd imagine there's quite a long list of organisations and countries who haven't been found to have manipulated a whole variety of online platforms. should the guardian/bbc/sky/the telegraph etc etc cover them all? isn't the absence of manipulation something of a non-story.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:24 - Oct 31 with 5027 viewsTonyj

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:18 - Oct 31 by MJallday

if you base your voting decision based on what you read on tw@tbook - then you deserve all you get tbh

yeah, but what about the rest of us? I agree with gav, that the real story is how much power facebook has.
Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:46 - Oct 31 with 4992 viewsunstableblue

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:48 - Oct 31 by Bluesquid

I don't have a problem with RT though, they are a biased news outlet. pro-Russia, and they don't hide this. Like Fox News is to the right of US politics, and Washington Post more to the left.

Its the fact that Russian government funded groups to hide in the shadows and organise mass Facebook postings under pseudonys of US peoples opinions.

Its a bit like a Norwich fan coming on here and masquerading as a blue. Albeit they get flushed out pretty quickly!!

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:59 - Oct 31 with 4979 viewsWD19

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:37 - Oct 31 by Steve_M

I used to enjoy a bit of RT in the interests of balance and a different perspective.......but it is almost unwatchable now. They have given up any pretence of being a sensible channel and don't even bother masking any agenda.

Yesterday they cut together a story about Jihadis returning to the UK from Syria (truth) and a quote about killing jihadis fighting abroad against us (truth) into 'the UK thinks the only way to sort radicals at home is to kill them'.

You get the impression their editorial team spends most of the time rolling around on the floor laughing at what they are saying/doing.
Facebook on US elections... just wow on 15:26 - Oct 31 with 4915 viewsBluesquid

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:19 - Oct 31 by lowhouseblue

i'd imagine there's quite a long list of organisations and countries who haven't been found to have manipulated a whole variety of online platforms. should the guardian/bbc/sky/the telegraph etc etc cover them all? isn't the absence of manipulation something of a non-story.

"isn't the absence of manipulation something of a non-story."

Not when it concerns alleged "Russian Hacking".
This has been mainstream news nearly every day for the last year.

If accusations are going to be made then the other side of the story also needs to be told when no evidence is found.
Facebook on US elections... just wow on 15:35 - Oct 31 with 4909 viewsBluesquid

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 13:46 - Oct 31 by unstableblue

I don't have a problem with RT though, they are a biased news outlet. pro-Russia, and they don't hide this. Like Fox News is to the right of US politics, and Washington Post more to the left.

Its the fact that Russian government funded groups to hide in the shadows and organise mass Facebook postings under pseudonys of US peoples opinions.

Its a bit like a Norwich fan coming on here and masquerading as a blue. Albeit they get flushed out pretty quickly!!

"Its the fact that Russian government funded groups to hide in the shadows and organise mass Facebook postings under pseudonys of US peoples opinions."

The fact? Is there definite evidence of this?
Facebook on US elections... just wow on 16:24 - Oct 31 with 4869 viewslowhouseblue

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 15:26 - Oct 31 by Bluesquid

"isn't the absence of manipulation something of a non-story."

Not when it concerns alleged "Russian Hacking".
This has been mainstream news nearly every day for the last year.

If accusations are going to be made then the other side of the story also needs to be told when no evidence is found.

the word 'alleged' is redundant

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

on 16:34 - Oct 31 with 4855 views_

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 16:46 - Oct 31 with 4834 viewshype313

on 16:34 - Oct 31 by _

It seems to me like Hotel California though, you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

on 16:48 - Oct 31 with 4833 views_

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 16:46 - Oct 31 by hype313

It seems to me like Hotel California though, you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave.

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 17:20 - Oct 31 with 4807 viewsNo9

I listened to some Americans yesterday evening discussing the issues.
There seems to be a general opinion that Trump will not do anything other than maybe sack the bloke investigating and the republicans won't do anything to stop him or to impeach him no matter how serious the offencecs are and how damning the evidence is against him.
This could, they argued, bring about a serious constitutional crisis in the US that may take years to heal??
OF COURSE!!! That’s the whole point of my POST?!? on 17:21 - Oct 31 with 4807 viewsunstableblue

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 15:35 - Oct 31 by Bluesquid

"Its the fact that Russian government funded groups to hide in the shadows and organise mass Facebook postings under pseudonys of US peoples opinions."

The fact? Is there definite evidence of this?

Of course Russian agents did it under hidden made-up accounts. This from Facebook themselves:

“The newly released figures will be discussed later today by Facebook counsel Colin Stretch in front of Congress who will condemn the interference from Russia.

Mr Stretch will say: “The foreign interference we saw is reprehensible and outrageous and opened a new battleground for our company, our industry and our society.

“That foreign actors, hiding behind fake accounts, abused our platform and other internet services to try to sow division and discord – and to try to undermine our election process – is an assault on democracy, and it violates all of our values.”

The testimonial, as seen by Independent, also says: “Many of the ads and posts we've seen so far are deeply disturbing – seemingly intended to amplify societal divisions and pit groups of people against each other.

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 17:40 - Oct 31 with 4782 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Facebook on US elections... just wow on 12:21 - Oct 31 by unstableblue

Completely agree. And it would be interesting to understand what influence the campaign really had, but certainly the vitriol towards Clinton was widespread and deep. Perhaps she deserved some of it.

But whether it was effective or not, it was intent. Is it not a state sponsored intervention in a foreign election?

There were many other factors of course. I mean I'm not sure how ethical Farage going over as the poster child of Brexit disobedience was!

Just thought they were interesting metrics anyway.

I frickin loathe Facebook myself.

I have seen evidence of spotty teenagers inventing click bait stories but as yet no evidence of state sponsored intervention.....lots of claims but no evidence, not that I've been looking too hard.

Edit....it will require more than F@ckbook saying "foreign actors" !
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 17:46]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024