Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sparky Hughes 10:34 - Mar 16 with 4518 viewsNo9

8 games to keep Southampton in the PL.
Some wanted him here - will he succeed or be free in June?
Sparky Hughes on 10:52 - Mar 16 with 4481 viewsmonty_radio

Southampton have certainly been playing like they're not too good to go down, but he does have some better players there than many sides who get into that predicament.

For that reason, I think he might just do it. Their remaining fixtures are against it though.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Sparky Hughes on 10:53 - Mar 16 with 4473 viewsNo9

Sparky Hughes on 10:52 - Mar 16 by monty_radio

Southampton have certainly been playing like they're not too good to go down, but he does have some better players there than many sides who get into that predicament.

For that reason, I think he might just do it. Their remaining fixtures are against it though.

They left the change a bit late, 8 games isn't long whe nyou are in trouble
Sparky Hughes on 11:09 - Mar 16 with 4452 viewsmonty_radio

Sparky Hughes on 10:53 - Mar 16 by No9

They left the change a bit late, 8 games isn't long whe nyou are in trouble

Indeed

Sparky Hughes on 11:11 - Mar 16 with 4445 viewsHerbivore

Who wanted him here? That would be a hugely uninspiring appointment.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sparky Hughes on 11:18 - Mar 16 with 4436 viewsFinidiCentenary

Sparky Hughes on 11:11 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

Who wanted him here? That would be a hugely uninspiring appointment.

Really? What exactly are you expecting?

We haven't got a hope of getting Hughes.

He took Blackburn to something like three straight Top 8 finishes and Europe.

Went to Man City when they were still nothing and got them to 7th or 8th.

Went to Fulham and had three straight Top 8 finishes and Europe.

Went to QPR who were a basket case, didn't do very well and was sacked after an awful start.

Took Stoke to 9th three seasons running before this year.

He's largely managed teams that should be around the middle to bottom of the PL and finished in the Top 9 in something like 9 out of 12 seasons.

The QPR spell and this season were disasters. But can we really expect to do better than an experienced PL manager who have over achieved in 75% of his time in charge?

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Sparky Hughes on 11:21 - Mar 16 with 4420 viewsHerbivore

Sparky Hughes on 11:18 - Mar 16 by FinidiCentenary

Went to QPR who were a basket case, didn't do very well and was sacked after an awful start.

He's largely managed teams that should be around the middle to bottom of the PL and finished in the Top 9 in something like 9 out of 12 seasons.

The QPR spell and this season were disasters. But can we really expect to do better than an experienced PL manager who have over achieved in 75% of his time in charge?

It's another manager off the predictable merry go round of managers. If we're going to go for a change then go for a genuine change and not another old school manager. Hughes has always worked with money too, he's had decent backing most places he's been, and he's done little more than okay at the end of it. He's not the sort of manager I'd want.

Sparky Hughes on 11:28 - Mar 16 with 4413 viewsNo9

That is what makes his appointment at Southampton surprising
Sparky Hughes on 11:35 - Mar 16 with 4406 viewsDubtractor

Sparky Hughes on 11:21 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

It's another manager off the predictable merry go round of managers. If we're going to go for a change then go for a genuine change and not another old school manager. Hughes has always worked with money too, he's had decent backing most places he's been, and he's done little more than okay at the end of it. He's not the sort of manager I'd want.

I'm with you.

Not a terrible manager, but would be an appalling fit for out current circumstances.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Sparky Hughes on 11:45 - Mar 16 with 4391 viewsitfcjoe

Sparky Hughes on 11:21 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

I wouldn't worry about it as there is no way he'd consider us!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sparky Hughes on 11:47 - Mar 16 with 4387 viewsmonty_radio

Sparky Hughes on 11:28 - Mar 16 by No9

That is what makes his appointment at Southampton surprising

Not so sure. If he stabilises the club they are bigger than Fulham, QPR and possibly Stoke. The club structure and facilities are good and some of the younger players are promising. They are a club who could , with the right handling, sit in the top half of the Premier again.

Sparky Hughes on 11:52 - Mar 16 with 4375 viewsCurrie10

Would have him in a heartbeat.

Attracted the likes of Afellay / Bojan + Shaqiri to Stoke...........
Sparky Hughes on 11:55 - Mar 16 with 4370 viewsNo9

Sparky Hughes on 11:47 - Mar 16 by monty_radio

Not so sure. If he stabilises the club they are bigger than Fulham, QPR and possibly Stoke. The club structure and facilities are good and some of the younger players are promising. They are a club who could , with the right handling, sit in the top half of the Premier again.

OK, they are a big enough for his ego however, I'm not sure he has the personality to turn things around quickly
- I accept on this point I may be proved wrong
Sparky Hughes on 12:22 - Mar 16 with 4346 viewsGlasgowBlue

A terrible man manager by all accounts. Hates speaking to the players, doesn't get involved in coaching and only gets fired up on match days.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sparky Hughes on 12:30 - Mar 16 with 4327 viewsTractorJack

Makes the sacking of Puel look very silly now.
Sparky Hughes on 12:31 - Mar 16 with 4322 viewsNo9

Sparky Hughes on 12:30 - Mar 16 by TractorJack

Yes -
Sparky Hughes on 12:33 - Mar 16 with 4317 viewsHerbivore

Sparky Hughes on 11:52 - Mar 16 by Currie10

Would have him in a heartbeat.

Attracted the likes of Afellay / Bojan + Shaqiri to Stoke...........

He attracted them with big money, which he wouldn't have here. He's always been pretty well backed financially, he's just not a particularly good manager imo. Done okay at several places and badly at a couple, nothing more than that. He gets a job on his name as much as anything else.

Sparky Hughes on 13:01 - Mar 16 with 4281 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sparky Hughes on 12:30 - Mar 16 by TractorJack

I don’t think it necessarily was, they regressed under him, were awful to watch and it patently hadn't worked for him there

Problem however was that the man they chose to replace him was worse, and their Summer recruitment left a lot to be desired

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sparky Hughes on 13:05 - Mar 16 with 4270 viewsitfcjoe

Sparky Hughes on 13:01 - Mar 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t think it necessarily was, they regressed under him, were awful to watch and it patently hadn't worked for him there

Problem however was that the man they chose to replace him was worse, and their Summer recruitment left a lot to be desired

I don’t think they regressed, finished 8th and got to LC Final.

A bit of the Mick’s though, or Pulis where fans want a change and aren’t worried about things getting worse for the money men

Sparky Hughes on 13:09 - Mar 16 with 4262 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sparky Hughes on 13:05 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

I don’t think they regressed, finished 8th and got to LC Final.

A bit of the Mick’s though, or Pulis where fans want a change and aren’t worried about things getting worse for the money men

Went from 6th to 8th. From 63 points to 46. 59 league goals scored to 41

8th was also slightly misleading in that it was a very congested table and only 6 points clear of 17th. Ultimately you finish where you finish but they very much went from being best of the rest to in the pack

I can understand why they made the change - but Pellegrino was an awful replacement

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sparky Hughes on 14:47 - Mar 16 with 4214 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Overrated manager. Member of the clique of British Managers who are on some kind of managerial merry go round a bit like Pardew and Big Sam.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Sparky Hughes on 14:51 - Mar 16 with 4207 viewsLord_Lucan

He's one of those blokes that I have never liked, him and Steve Bruce.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sparky Hughes on 15:02 - Mar 16 with 4196 viewsITFC_Forever

QPR were a basket case, but he made the basket bigger, signing loads of had-beens on mega-bucks.

Thanks to him and 'Arry, QPR have a problem that's going to take them years to recover from.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Sparky Hughes on 16:17 - Mar 16 with 4150 viewsitfcjoe

Sparky Hughes on 13:09 - Mar 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Went from 6th to 8th. From 63 points to 46. 59 league goals scored to 41

8th was also slightly misleading in that it was a very congested table and only 6 points clear of 17th. Ultimately you finish where you finish but they very much went from being best of the rest to in the pack

I can understand why they made the change - but Pellegrino was an awful replacement

Fair enough, hadn't seen it like that and makes sense

Sparky Hughes on 16:27 - Mar 16 with 4140 viewsRadlett_blue

Sparky Hughes on 15:02 - Mar 16 by ITFC_Forever

QPR were a basket case, but he made the basket bigger, signing loads of had-beens on mega-bucks.

Thanks to him and 'Arry, QPR have a problem that's going to take them years to recover from.

QPR were not a "basket case" when Hughes too over the job in January 2012. They were just outside the relegation zone & Hughes kept them up by the skin of their teeth.
It was in the following summer that Hughes went bonkers, as in came Kieron Dyer, Ryan Nelsen, Andrew Johnson, Robert Green, Samba Diakité, Fábio, Park Ji-sung and Junior Hoilett.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024