Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ 20:32 - Jul 21 with 6813 viewsCurrie10

Key word here, CURRENTLY before I receive a full barrage of abuse - have to see how the jigsaw comes together.

However, check out this website - shows all incoming transfers / outgoings / fees etc.

Take Bolton as an example -

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jumplist/transfers/verein/355

Bolton are one of only two clubs lower than us with the bookies - the other being Rotherham.

I would argue with their arrivals - especially Wildschut from Norwich.... Donaldson who will score goals again at this level - to date they have made a much better first of the summer transfer window than us.

Sure, other clubs like QPR / Blackburn etc - have signed very little.

Worth having a play to see what the competition is up to.

Very interesting couple of weeks coming up, however, if we were to enter the season with this current batch of players - absolutely miles off top half in my opinion.

See what happens. Hopefully get 2-3 in this week and Waghorn saga will end.
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:01 - Jul 22 with 4263 viewstractorboy1978

It really is a pivotal two weeks. Waghorn stays and we see another 4/5 additions vs Waghorn goes and we continue to struggle to get deals done. I honestly don't know which way it is going to go.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 0:03]
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:04 - Jul 22 with 4244 viewsSpruceMoose

I think people need to consider Paul Hurst's task as a longer term project. I'm not expecting much from this season personally. I'm more interested in year two and three.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:14 - Jul 22 with 4219 viewsHipsterectomy

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:01 - Jul 22 by tractorboy1978

It really is a pivotal two weeks. Waghorn stays and we see another 4/5 additions vs Waghorn goes and we continue to struggle to get deals done. I honestly don't know which way it is going to go.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 0:03]

My fear is that we sell Waghorn with 2 weeks left. Then we're running around for signings, with us having a good chunk of money well known, with time running out. It couldn't happen to Ipswich could it...

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:45 - Jul 22 with 4131 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:04 - Jul 22 by SpruceMoose

I think people need to consider Paul Hurst's task as a longer term project. I'm not expecting much from this season personally. I'm more interested in year two and three.

I don’t want to go full panic stations here, but that goes out of the window if we get relegated this season

I do fear that without a couple more signings we may struggle, especially if Waghorn is sold. The next 2 weeks are pivotal - hopefully we’ll see some more arrivals before the season starts

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:49 - Jul 22 with 4114 viewsSpruceMoose

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:45 - Jul 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t want to go full panic stations here, but that goes out of the window if we get relegated this season

I do fear that without a couple more signings we may struggle, especially if Waghorn is sold. The next 2 weeks are pivotal - hopefully we’ll see some more arrivals before the season starts

I'm going to say it...

We would never go down under McCarthy...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 01:16 - Jul 22 with 4082 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

As people have pointed out on here before we haven’t actually played football for a couple of years, so it’s going to be a bit new to them at first
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 01:43 - Jul 22 with 4035 viewsMrTown

MILES off is very strong. Maybe more like a couple of signings in the right areas off, certainly two CB’s and an out an out no.9. Especially if Waghorn goes.

But other than that we are much more reliant upon circumstances such as fitness and prospects performances and durability. But only time will tell upon that, there really is little we can do about that.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 02:44 - Jul 22 with 3991 viewspointofblue

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 01:16 - Jul 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

As people have pointed out on here before we haven’t actually played football for a couple of years, so it’s going to be a bit new to them at first

It’s not the style that bothers me, it’s the lack of depth. We only have one experienced out-and-out centre half; we’re expecting to replace Webster when we haven’t managed to cover Berra and Smith leaving yet. Our midfield looks like the extras green room for Casualty rather than a functioning, fit unit. We’re waiting for someone to take McGoldrick’s place in the squad whilst there’s still a Murphy sized hole in it.

Recently we’ve had a poor track record in getting what we need into the club permanently, instead having to make do with quick fix loans and frees. I think I’m right in saying we have about three weeks of the transfer window left rather than two, as it closes on the eve of the Premier League season (?) but, even so, will we manage in three weeks what we’ve struggled to do in three years?

My big hope is Paul Hurst has a strong track record in getting good results from, on paper, weak squads but he’s got his job cut out as it stands at the moment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 07:06 - Jul 22 with 3775 viewsBenters2

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:45 - Jul 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

This.
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 07:17 - Jul 22 with 3747 viewsCurrie10

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 07:06 - Jul 22 by Benters2

This.

Can I this, THIS, x 2 !?
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 07:23 - Jul 22 with 3725 viewsBenters2

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 07:17 - Jul 22 by Currie10

Can I this, THIS, x 2 !?

You can if we sell Waghorn in the next two weeks!
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:52 - Jul 22 with 3498 viewsDurovigutum

Wait, a championship club has loaned a player from another championship club (who obviously don't think he's worth a regular start, and that finished below us in the table) and this is a reason we should be worried about relegation?

Perspective?
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:54 - Jul 22 with 3483 viewsjas0999

We need at least three in this week. If Waghorn goes we need a top replacement for him too. Assuming Waghorn goes, for me we will need 5 players. Possibly 6.

2 x CBs (already stated by PH)
2 x Strikers (PH already wanted one striker prior to Waghorn)
1 x creative midfielder
1 x Full back
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:56 - Jul 22 with 3472 viewswkj

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:54 - Jul 22 by jas0999

We need at least three in this week. If Waghorn goes we need a top replacement for him too. Assuming Waghorn goes, for me we will need 5 players. Possibly 6.

2 x CBs (already stated by PH)
2 x Strikers (PH already wanted one striker prior to Waghorn)
1 x creative midfielder
1 x Full back

As long as we spend money right? Seems as your barometer for success is purely based on how much we spend

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:59 - Jul 22 with 3441 viewsjas0999

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 00:04 - Jul 22 by SpruceMoose

A good point and I don’t think anyone is expecting a promotion challenge. But the squad lacks depth.

I too would like to see us build for seasons two and three. To do that though we need to build a squad. Quick fix loans would be somewhat pointless as we’d be back to square one this time next May.
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:02 - Jul 22 with 3420 viewsjas0999

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:56 - Jul 22 by wkj

As long as we spend money right? Seems as your barometer for success is purely based on how much we spend

No. Modest investments. Waghorn last year. Garner. Etc. If we sell Waghorn for £8M, then I would expect to see reinvestment. Suspect the vast majority of fans would. But £8M on one player? Absolutely not.

Not loans though. We need to build a squad for future seasons.
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:02 - Jul 22 with 3413 viewswkj

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 08:59 - Jul 22 by jas0999

A good point and I don’t think anyone is expecting a promotion challenge. But the squad lacks depth.

I too would like to see us build for seasons two and three. To do that though we need to build a squad. Quick fix loans would be somewhat pointless as we’d be back to square one this time next May.

All loans are now 1 season loans, and are effectively 1 year transfer deals as fees and wages are covered by the receiving club... you're out of touch if you think loans are some kind of indication of lack of ambition or vision.

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:07 - Jul 22 with 3398 viewsjas0999

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:02 - Jul 22 by wkj

All loans are now 1 season loans, and are effectively 1 year transfer deals as fees and wages are covered by the receiving club... you're out of touch if you think loans are some kind of indication of lack of ambition or vision.

It’s pointless us having this conversation. Our opinions unfortunately differ far too much. I have no interest in arguing with you.

I don’t agree loans are the way forward. End of. I’m not changing my opinion because you believe I’m out of touch. Loans are not our players. We rarely sign them permanently, which means we go from one season to the next replacing every year rather than build a squad of players.

We simply can’t agree. Some folk agree with you. Each to their opinion.
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:13 - Jul 22 with 3365 viewsMullet

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:07 - Jul 22 by jas0999

It’s pointless us having this conversation. Our opinions unfortunately differ far too much. I have no interest in arguing with you.

I don’t agree loans are the way forward. End of. I’m not changing my opinion because you believe I’m out of touch. Loans are not our players. We rarely sign them permanently, which means we go from one season to the next replacing every year rather than build a squad of players.

How do you explain clubs getting promoted using loans to do it? Such as Huddersfield, Wolves, etc. ?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:19 - Jul 22 with 3332 viewswkj

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:07 - Jul 22 by jas0999

I disagree with your track record of rallying the negativity on the news comments and then at times contradicting yourself on the forums when someone calls you up on it. There are quite literally no such things as quick fix loans any more, they were phased out a couple of seasons ago. Season long loans are a way for a club to have a player for cheaper that might provide more quality than stumping out a lot of money for a player on a permanent transfer, while in turn assisting with that player's development for the senior team.

The quick fix option is come January being forced to make a myriad of free signings because we're depleted in numbers.

Unfortunately for you, Town's loan signings have generally been quite good throughout the years, and while they may not be our players for long, they have allowed us to conduct ourselves with out risking financial fair play sanctions. Don't mistake my message, I have no doubt every fan would love to have a squad of permanent signings with enough quality to go above and beyond the mid table home we have occupied for far too long, but it just isn't financially viable for us. More and more teams are trying to do a Wolves and spend big to go up, but it is a gamble. Evans isn't the richest chairman in the league, if I recall he is somewhere around the middle to upper middle- So he isn't the font of spending power people like yourself seem to think- yes he has money, and he invests consistently into the infrastructure of the club, but the expectation of having 10, 15, 20 million to lump on players that you consistently create on this board is massively belligerent considering we're still paying the price of being on the brink of financial ruin after our vaunted two seasons in the premier league.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 9:20]

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:29 - Jul 22 with 3284 viewsglassblower

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:13 - Jul 22 by Mullet

How do you explain clubs getting promoted using loans to do it? Such as Huddersfield, Wolves, etc. ?

I don’t really buy this entitled stuff about how much we need to spend etc but I’m quite on board re loans. Pretty sure we have paid out some big loan fees for our annual premiership winger for the last 3-4 years. Dare say at least 3-4million. Just think it would be better business to sign players with a potential re-sale value with that money.
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:31 - Jul 22 with 3264 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 02:44 - Jul 22 by pointofblue

It’s not the style that bothers me, it’s the lack of depth. We only have one experienced out-and-out centre half; we’re expecting to replace Webster when we haven’t managed to cover Berra and Smith leaving yet. Our midfield looks like the extras green room for Casualty rather than a functioning, fit unit. We’re waiting for someone to take McGoldrick’s place in the squad whilst there’s still a Murphy sized hole in it.

Recently we’ve had a poor track record in getting what we need into the club permanently, instead having to make do with quick fix loans and frees. I think I’m right in saying we have about three weeks of the transfer window left rather than two, as it closes on the eve of the Premier League season (?) but, even so, will we manage in three weeks what we’ve struggled to do in three years?

My big hope is Paul Hurst has a strong track record in getting good results from, on paper, weak squads but he’s got his job cut out as it stands at the moment.

Ok we are without from the team or squad
3loanees from last yr all played big parts
McGoldrick
Webster
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:32 - Jul 22 with 3256 viewsMullet

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:29 - Jul 22 by glassblower

I don’t really buy this entitled stuff about how much we need to spend etc but I’m quite on board re loans. Pretty sure we have paid out some big loan fees for our annual premiership winger for the last 3-4 years. Dare say at least 3-4million. Just think it would be better business to sign players with a potential re-sale value with that money.

There's no right or wrong without hindsight. I enjoyed some of the loanees and not others same as any other player.

But unfortunately the market is now stacked against not using loans because of how the big clubs hoard players. So there has to be some semblance of realism which is always sorely lacking in these types of threads.

I just want us to dick everyone and win the league or at least come close to it like we did under Mick. Every year under Evans that got further away. He's finally turned the wheel a little, but I don't see a massive change in direction.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:33 - Jul 22 with 3248 viewsglassblower

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:19 - Jul 22 by wkj

I disagree with your track record of rallying the negativity on the news comments and then at times contradicting yourself on the forums when someone calls you up on it. There are quite literally no such things as quick fix loans any more, they were phased out a couple of seasons ago. Season long loans are a way for a club to have a player for cheaper that might provide more quality than stumping out a lot of money for a player on a permanent transfer, while in turn assisting with that player's development for the senior team.

The quick fix option is come January being forced to make a myriad of free signings because we're depleted in numbers.

Unfortunately for you, Town's loan signings have generally been quite good throughout the years, and while they may not be our players for long, they have allowed us to conduct ourselves with out risking financial fair play sanctions. Don't mistake my message, I have no doubt every fan would love to have a squad of permanent signings with enough quality to go above and beyond the mid table home we have occupied for far too long, but it just isn't financially viable for us. More and more teams are trying to do a Wolves and spend big to go up, but it is a gamble. Evans isn't the richest chairman in the league, if I recall he is somewhere around the middle to upper middle- So he isn't the font of spending power people like yourself seem to think- yes he has money, and he invests consistently into the infrastructure of the club, but the expectation of having 10, 15, 20 million to lump on players that you consistently create on this board is massively belligerent considering we're still paying the price of being on the brink of financial ruin after our vaunted two seasons in the premier league.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 9:20]

If we didn’t spunk so much on loan fees we would have more to sign our own players!
Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:34 - Jul 22 with 3240 viewswkj

Currently absolutely MILES off it........ on 09:29 - Jul 22 by glassblower

I agree 100%, though there is nothing to suggest we haven't attempted to find them. Fullbacks and wingers in my opinion are really difficult positions to fill with quality with limited money, and I think it is no coincidence the frequency of loans for those positions for not just us, but other teams too.

Evidence of this is the young lad in the youth team, Dylan Crowe- plays out wide, has obvious quality about him, the premier league buzzards are circling. When he gets poached (which is an assumption, but a fairly confident one) you can bet your bottom dollar he will end up being loaned out for a couple of seasons before being considered for the first team.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024