Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The state of football!!! 20:25 - Sep 25 with 2914 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Chelsea have 40 players out on loan. Just let that sink in. Discuss.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

The state of football!!! on 20:26 - Sep 25 with 2906 viewsSpruceMoose

How do they even keep track of them? That's so many that one or two could be sent out to far flung corners of the world and just get forgotten about!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The state of football!!! on 20:30 - Sep 25 with 2894 viewsBasuco

It is a way of making more money, get players in coach them up and sell at a profit. It doesn't matter if they are not good enough for the first team, they can be sold to other Prem clubs or EFL clubs, they are mostly there just to be sold on. Simples.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 20:34]
The state of football!!! on 20:32 - Sep 25 with 2887 viewsHipsterectomy

You can make a starting 11 just on players on loan to the Chump with some left over

Jamal Blackman - Leeds

Michael Hector - Wed
Tomas Kalas - Bristol City
Todd Kane - Hull City
Chalobah
Reece James - Wigan
Jay Dasilva - Bristol City
Fikayo Tomori - Derby

Lewis Baker - Leeds
Kasey Palmer - Blackburn
Mason Mount - Derby

Izzy Brown - Leeds
Tammy Abraham - Villa

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

The state of football!!! on 20:39 - Sep 25 with 2858 viewsTerry_Nutkins

The state of football!!! on 20:30 - Sep 25 by Basuco

It is a way of making more money, get players in coach them up and sell at a profit. It doesn't matter if they are not good enough for the first team, they can be sold to other Prem clubs or EFL clubs, they are mostly there just to be sold on. Simples.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 20:34]

Its disgusting. Stockpiling in case some work out well. As you say profit on the rest.

I only read this today because Fifa are looking to stop it. Max 6 loans out being proposed. If it does stop them stockpiling it could have a big impact on 2nd tier i would have thought.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

The state of football!!! on 20:46 - Sep 25 with 2829 viewsBluefish

The state of football!!! on 20:39 - Sep 25 by Terry_Nutkins

Its disgusting. Stockpiling in case some work out well. As you say profit on the rest.

I only read this today because Fifa are looking to stop it. Max 6 loans out being proposed. If it does stop them stockpiling it could have a big impact on 2nd tier i would have thought.

They would just turn them into sales with buybacks instead

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The state of football!!! on 20:52 - Sep 25 with 2805 viewsWD19

A few years back Parma had 226 players on their books. Its not a new thing.
The state of football!!! on 21:11 - Sep 25 with 2758 viewshoppy

Good to hear they’re reducing it then... used to be a lot more, I’m sure.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The state of football!!! on 21:12 - Sep 25 with 2753 viewsBluefish

The state of football!!! on 20:52 - Sep 25 by WD19

A few years back Parma had 226 players on their books. Its not a new thing.

They also went bust didn't they? Not necessarily as a result of that though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

The state of football!!! on 09:14 - Sep 26 with 2566 viewsRadlett_blue

They should ban loans, pure & simple. Then, clubs would change their behaviour & be less inclined to stockpile players & young players would think twice about signing for a big club as they know they'd be unlikely to get a game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The state of football!!! on 09:19 - Sep 26 with 2553 viewsitfcjoe

The problem is also now, that Chelsea are producing the countires best youth players - de-incentivise that and the England teams begin to suffer.

I think the rule needs to be written sensibly - something along the lines of you can only loan out youth players that have come through the academy or similar.

The biggest issue is signing players, sending them out on loan and selling them for a profit when they only have spent a few days at the club over the years they are there.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The state of football!!! on 09:20 - Sep 26 with 2546 viewsNo9

Ridiculous but that is what the PL & TV football have created while he FA stood by and watched.
It may well kill football as we used to know it
The state of football!!! on 09:22 - Sep 26 with 2545 viewsRadlett_blue

The state of football!!! on 09:19 - Sep 26 by itfcjoe

The problem is also now, that Chelsea are producing the countires best youth players - de-incentivise that and the England teams begin to suffer.

I think the rule needs to be written sensibly - something along the lines of you can only loan out youth players that have come through the academy or similar.

The biggest issue is signing players, sending them out on loan and selling them for a profit when they only have spent a few days at the club over the years they are there.

Agreed, Joe, but do clubs like Chelsea really make money out of this policy? Running an academy & paying presumably high wages to a huge number of players, a handful of whom are good enough to be sold on at a profit?

The state of football!!! on 09:33 - Sep 26 with 2522 viewsNo9

The state of football!!! on 09:19 - Sep 26 by itfcjoe

Gareth Southgate would seem to disagree with yout theory Joe.
He is saying not enough players are making it
That is apparent and England will soon have to look to the lower leagues for an England team OR Chelsea benchers?
The state of football!!! on 09:41 - Sep 26 with 2503 viewsitfcjoe

The state of football!!! on 09:22 - Sep 26 by Radlett_blue

Agreed, Joe, but do clubs like Chelsea really make money out of this policy? Running an academy & paying presumably high wages to a huge number of players, a handful of whom are good enough to be sold on at a profit?

I think on the whole they do - these players attract large loan fees also and if any make it the values are astronomical.

Look at someone like Thibaut Courtois - signed for £5m, massive loan fees recouped straight away and then number 1 keeper then massive sale. But more interestingly someone like Patrick Bamford - signed for a few £100k, loads of loan fees recouped, reportedly of £1m by the end and sold for £6m. Never was he a Chelsea player, played 23 games at U18 and U21 level over the 7 seasons he was at the club.

A changed loan system will lead to feeder clubs, B teams and buy back clauses being mandatory - very important that you don't let the genie out of the bottle. The loan system needs sorting, but beware of unintended consequences - the bgi clubs will always a find a way round it and clubs our size will be punished somehow

The state of football!!! on 09:45 - Sep 26 with 2484 viewsitfcjoe

The state of football!!! on 09:33 - Sep 26 by No9

Gareth Southgate would seem to disagree with yout theory Joe.
He is saying not enough players are making it
That is apparent and England will soon have to look to the lower leagues for an England team OR Chelsea benchers?

We are producing fine players, probably the best in Europe up to age 19 or so - but then their development hits a brick wall with pathways to the first team.

The loan system is probably not doing a bad job for England in this respect, and I'd advocate smaller squad sizes and less pros above a certain age on the books - that way players will find their natural level sooner and cream can rise to the top

The state of football!!! on 09:52 - Sep 26 with 2468 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is it 2012 again?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The state of football!!! on 09:52 - Sep 26 with 2467 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The state of football!!! on 20:26 - Sep 25 by SpruceMoose

How do they even keep track of them? That's so many that one or two could be sent out to far flung corners of the world and just get forgotten about!

They have a WhatsApp group

Genuinely

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The state of football!!! on 10:27 - Sep 26 with 2423 viewsElephantintheRoom

Ipswich have one of them. Loaning six in and five out. Only if 'smaller clubs' stop this insane self harm taking in players from other clubs that will be sold on to their competitors whilst stunting development of their own players (a double whammy of self harm) will it stop. It's completely the fault of the clubs who self harm. You cant blame the likes of Chelski for taking advantage of such idiocy AND earning hard cash.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The state of football!!! on 11:30 - Sep 26 with 2366 viewsRadlett_blue

The state of football!!! on 10:27 - Sep 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Ipswich have one of them. Loaning six in and five out. Only if 'smaller clubs' stop this insane self harm taking in players from other clubs that will be sold on to their competitors whilst stunting development of their own players (a double whammy of self harm) will it stop. It's completely the fault of the clubs who self harm. You cant blame the likes of Chelski for taking advantage of such idiocy AND earning hard cash.

Your point is valid, but if you are Hurst (or any other manager) with a limited budget & can get loan players in who are better than your youngsters, you are very motivated to do so.

The state of football!!! on 12:05 - Sep 26 with 2331 viewsBecclesITFC

Wasn't it AVB who said top clubs need filter clubs in lower leagues. Looks like it's happening.
The state of football!!! on 12:20 - Sep 26 with 2303 viewsAce_High1

The state of football!!! on 09:45 - Sep 26 by itfcjoe

We are producing fine players, probably the best in Europe up to age 19 or so - but then their development hits a brick wall with pathways to the first team.

The loan system is probably not doing a bad job for England in this respect, and I'd advocate smaller squad sizes and less pros above a certain age on the books - that way players will find their natural level sooner and cream can rise to the top

Agree, there are a few different issues.

Firstly the loan system is not right. For clubs such as ourselves I don't see why we should be able to sign numerous experienced players on loan - this encourages Premier League teams to keep large squads knowing they can send them out and make some money. I would like to see a system whereby clubs are encouraged (via the rules) to have a squad of no more than say 20-22 senior players, (no loans allowed in the Premier League) and then the remaining places have to be Academy players. Some of the clubs these days have 30+ senior players on the books with some never going to play.

In the Championship you should be able to loan one senior pro (anyone above under 23's/Academy level on a professional contact) a season. That way it is just used to either address a problem position (a team that cannot score goals, or needs a keeper etc) or to get that one piece of quality that otherwise you would never afford - example such as Fraser etc for us.

Outside of that the only loans should be for young players to give them game time down the leagues - it needs a cap still to stop the likes of Chelsea having many out on loan.

When clubs have smaller squads they are forced into giving younger players a game when others lose form, get injured etc and this is how some of the best young players make a break through. Remember a certain Rashford at Man Utd getting a chance from no where and suddenly making an impression?
The state of football!!! on 12:34 - Sep 26 with 2281 viewsitfcjoe

The state of football!!! on 12:20 - Sep 26 by Ace_High1

Agree, there are a few different issues.

Firstly the loan system is not right. For clubs such as ourselves I don't see why we should be able to sign numerous experienced players on loan - this encourages Premier League teams to keep large squads knowing they can send them out and make some money. I would like to see a system whereby clubs are encouraged (via the rules) to have a squad of no more than say 20-22 senior players, (no loans allowed in the Premier League) and then the remaining places have to be Academy players. Some of the clubs these days have 30+ senior players on the books with some never going to play.

In the Championship you should be able to loan one senior pro (anyone above under 23's/Academy level on a professional contact) a season. That way it is just used to either address a problem position (a team that cannot score goals, or needs a keeper etc) or to get that one piece of quality that otherwise you would never afford - example such as Fraser etc for us.

Outside of that the only loans should be for young players to give them game time down the leagues - it needs a cap still to stop the likes of Chelsea having many out on loan.

When clubs have smaller squads they are forced into giving younger players a game when others lose form, get injured etc and this is how some of the best young players make a break through. Remember a certain Rashford at Man Utd getting a chance from no where and suddenly making an impression?

The problem is every solution seems to bring with it 5 other problems.

I think one of the issues is there are limits to squad sizes in place, but if players are outside this squad they are allowed to be loaned out so it doesn't matter and no real punishment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024