Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC for SALE 15:26 - Oct 3 with 6003 viewssotd78

My daughters who sometimes see the wood for the trees have both suggested this:

Evans wants out. The club is up for sale. What any buyer looks at is current outgoings versus income and what sort of gap they need to fund.

Allowing Hurst to offload high wage earners and replace with hungry but lower cost players reduces the budget deficit.
Instantly the club looks more saleable.

Dropping a division will actually enhance that saleability. Especially as it probably would mean we sold Bart, Andre, Knudsen and any other player of value.
This has all the hallmarks of an owner looking to get out and cut his losses.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

ITFC for SALE on 15:28 - Oct 3 with 3618 viewsNo9

So your daughters anticipate the Owner would swallow all the losses?
ITFC for SALE on 15:31 - Oct 3 with 3594 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

But the attendance will drop a further 2/3/4 thousand if we are to relegated.

And we have just spent 8 million pound on players tied to 3 year deals

As well as a manger and an assistant who have also been dealt 3 year deals.

I have to say, it doesn't sound like a good prospect for potential buyers.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

ITFC for SALE on 15:31 - Oct 3 with 3593 viewsStokieBlue

Anybody who realistically wants to buy the club and fund a real promotion push isn't going to give a monkeys about 6m here or there.

If they do care then they aren't going to be funding a promotion push and everyone will be moaning in 10 years that they are just like Evans.

So, in summary, I don't think it's a great theory.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 15:32]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ITFC for SALE on 15:31 - Oct 3 with 3590 viewsFrimleyBlue

ITFC for SALE on 15:28 - Oct 3 by No9

I suppose he'd have to wake up eventually and realise that we're not going to go up any time soon, so the likelihood is, is that he will lose his £

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

ITFC for SALE on 15:35 - Oct 3 with 3564 viewssotd78

ITFC for SALE on 15:28 - Oct 3 by No9

This is a business. It is losing money. Previous losses are paper losses - not real cash.

Businessmen often have to decide to stay in and add to the paper loss or sell up and cut the loss.

Evans behaviour smacks of someone clearing the decks to maximise the sale price.

Anyone buying will want to know this: - how much for the assets and how much for the liability. Assets are players and anything we own (not much) and liability is contracts. Hence lower wages for lesser players; no contract talks for Knudsen and only recently and drawn out for Bart because it protected the value of the asset.

One of my daughters is on an MBA which looks specifically at this sort of business activity.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

ITFC for SALE on 15:37 - Oct 3 with 3543 viewsDarth_Koont

But any buyer coming in could lower our costs over a year or two anyway. What will be interesting to them is our league position and our crowd size. If it's a plan to attract a buyer then it's not working at all on those measures.

To me, it looks more like he's in it for the long haul and at least wants to make us sustainable year-on-year and not lose as much as before.

Pronouns: He/Him

ITFC for SALE on 15:37 - Oct 3 with 3542 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

ITFC for SALE on 15:35 - Oct 3 by sotd78

This is a business. It is losing money. Previous losses are paper losses - not real cash.

Businessmen often have to decide to stay in and add to the paper loss or sell up and cut the loss.

Evans behaviour smacks of someone clearing the decks to maximise the sale price.

Anyone buying will want to know this: - how much for the assets and how much for the liability. Assets are players and anything we own (not much) and liability is contracts. Hence lower wages for lesser players; no contract talks for Knudsen and only recently and drawn out for Bart because it protected the value of the asset.

One of my daughters is on an MBA which looks specifically at this sort of business activity.

He doesnt make a loss. He uses the 7m loss to offset against his tax bill, so when he sends in to the tax revenue at the end of the year he can claim a nice 7 million back every year.
He isn't bothered one bit about the club, he's only bothered about using it as a nice little tax saver.

ITFC for SALE on 15:38 - Oct 3 with 3524 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

ITFC for SALE on 15:37 - Oct 3 by Darth_Koont

But any buyer coming in could lower our costs over a year or two anyway. What will be interesting to them is our league position and our crowd size. If it's a plan to attract a buyer then it's not working at all on those measures.

To me, it looks more like he's in it for the long haul and at least wants to make us sustainable year-on-year and not lose as much as before.

I think the stale nature of the club has meant that regardless whether you lower ticket prices right now, people just are disinterested with Ipswich Town regardless of ticket prices.

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC for SALE on 15:41 - Oct 3 with 3506 viewsfooters

ITFC for SALE on 15:37 - Oct 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

He doesnt make a loss. He uses the 7m loss to offset against his tax bill, so when he sends in to the tax revenue at the end of the year he can claim a nice 7 million back every year.
He isn't bothered one bit about the club, he's only bothered about using it as a nice little tax saver.

Oh christ, not this again.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

ITFC for SALE on 15:41 - Oct 3 with 3503 viewsjeera

How does someone see the wood for the trees?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

ITFC for SALE on 15:44 - Oct 3 with 3470 viewsjeera

ITFC for SALE on 15:41 - Oct 3 by footers

Oh christ, not this again.

Ha.

Yes cos that how tax deduction works!

You simply offset your entire losses directly against your tax bill. Simples.

Heh.

ITFC for SALE on 15:45 - Oct 3 with 3463 viewsDeano69

Didn't think it was much of a secret that the club could be purchased by the right owner(s) - think thats ME's words

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

ITFC for SALE on 15:46 - Oct 3 with 3458 viewsGuthrum

It doesn't work like that, because the tax rate is not 100%.

Losses can only be offset against profits (not the tax bill). Thus, at a business tax rate of 19%, he is spending an extra £7m to save himself £1.3m on his other businesses.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

ITFC for SALE on 15:47 - Oct 3 with 3442 viewsSomethingBlue

I don't think a sale is unrealistic but completely disagree that relegation would expedite one.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

ITFC for SALE on 15:48 - Oct 3 with 3432 viewsfooters

ITFC for SALE on 15:44 - Oct 3 by jeera

Ha.

Heh.

Really? I've racked up a debt of nearly a million this year and was hoping to get off paying any tax come April. That's how it works, right?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

ITFC for SALE on 15:49 - Oct 3 with 3416 viewsjeera

ITFC for SALE on 15:46 - Oct 3 by Guthrum

It doesn't work like that, because the tax rate is not 100%.

Losses can only be offset against profits (not the tax bill). Thus, at a business tax rate of 19%, he is spending an extra £7m to save himself £1.3m on his other businesses.

It's brilliant isn't it?

I am fecking beside myself here!

ITFC for SALE on 15:50 - Oct 3 with 3396 viewsBOjK

Utter nonsense.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

ITFC for SALE on 15:51 - Oct 3 with 3376 viewsjeera

ITFC for SALE on 15:48 - Oct 3 by footers

Really? I've racked up a debt of nearly a million this year and was hoping to get off paying any tax come April. That's how it works, right?

This guy was calling another poster stupid only yesterday.

I haven't been this happy in ages!

I've gotta go. I can barely see through the tears.

Wonderful thread. 'Wood for the trees'/club a better prospect for a buyer in the lower leagues with an empty stadium, but crap players on low wages/ tax breaks...

It's got everything.

You or whoever told you this doesn't understand tax regs, or the law on 15:52 - Oct 3 with 3378 viewsDyland

I've seen this argument laid out in great detail on the Comments section by posters who claim to be best mates with some corporate tax guru. The arguments are completely fallacious*. This doesn't mean Evans is in love with ITFC of course, but the suggestion it's "a nice little tax saver" is hilariously wrong.

* this is the term used in logical reasoning to call out utter bollix :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

ITFC for SALE on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 3365 viewsMVBlue

You can offset landlord house maintenance costs against HMRC rent earnings tax.
You can offset corporation loss against coproration tax.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/corporation-tax-calculating-and-claiming-a-loss

"If your company or organisation is liable for Corporation Tax and makes a loss from trading, the sale or disposal of a capital asset, or on property income, then you may be able to claim relief from Corporation Tax. "
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 15:56]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

ITFC for SALE on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 3362 viewsDeano69

That's my pension screwed. Been try to spend money on loss making entities so the Tax man will pay me rather than the other way round. Shoot me now...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

ITFC for SALE on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 3359 viewschicoazul

ITFC for SALE on 15:44 - Oct 3 by jeera

Ha.

Heh.

Then how come i'm a terrible business man who loses money but am not a millionaire? Thats what I want to know.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Even better, the IR will actually GIVE you a million back (n/t) on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 3360 viewsDyland

ITFC for SALE on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 3362 viewsSteve_M

It's clear Evans wants to sell, he even hinted at it in his legendary 'interview' this Summer.

You're wrong though that a League 1 club is easier to sell than a Championship one, being one division below the Premier League allows any new buyer to dream about a rapid promotion as Evans did when Sheepy sold the club to him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Indeed on 15:54 - Oct 3 with 3334 viewsDyland

ITFC for SALE on 15:47 - Oct 3 by SomethingBlue

I don't think a sale is unrealistic but completely disagree that relegation would expedite one.

Cognitive dissonance grinding through the gears.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024