Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let's stick with Paul Hurst 18:01 - Oct 21 with 4763 viewstrev1991

And I say that through gritted teeth. Yesterday I had to be reminded by my Nodge supporting house mate that he read on here after our match against them that "Ipswich have far more to be optimistic about than Norwich do".

He assured me at the time that was their worst performance in some time and he was surprised we couldn't beat them at their worst. I obviously took it as hyperbole. Since he came with me to Hull away with a couple of other mates I had agreed to go to Forest away yesterday. Even at forest, most of my time was spent looking at my phone for our score.

Firstly, Forest had some sale on and it was there highest attendance for some ridiculous amount of years, 29k the attendance was broadcast as over the tannoy. Nodge went 1-0 down to a Grabban goal which went down as well as you could imagine! Had a little chuckle to myself, and Forest were well on top.

But Nodge came back and for 70 minutes of the game absolutely dominated possession and played quick one touch passing to create several one-on-one chances. It was so polar different to the Hull game I made my mate watch and he didn't need to say anything to me. He just looked at me and I knew.

They are streets, and I mean streets, ahead of us. In the end, against an in-form Forest side away from home they ended up with more possession, 19 shots, 12 corners and worst of all, several youngsters in their side. When all the players came over at the end, there was a special bond with the players and fans. It sickens me to say but I was in awe, most likely because I wanted Hurst to be the one to bring that togetherness back. Last time I felt similar was play-offs under Mick.

However, here's my biggest point. I don't think Hurst is the problem. It's recruitment and scouting. It shouldn't be all left to the manager like we do. They have a head coach and sporting director setup. Some of their best players were admittedly young players from the academy but freebie strikers like Teemu Pukki (who i dont think played), germans like Leitner (who has been in a champions league final squad and is still only 25) and wingers like Hernandez cost very little money and limited wages - but they're so far ahead of our signings it's unreal.

There's not too many bargains in English football anymore. But I think they still exist abroad. And this club needs to move with the times.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:36 - Oct 21 with 3499 viewssparks

I dont agree with all you say. But one very good point is the complete absence of foreign scouting and recruitment in our squad.

Having watched Yeovil yesterday, half their squad has been recruited from forein climbs or so it seems. There is value to be had in foreign markets- and it is some years since we appear to have exploited it as other sides in the champ seem to.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:37 - Oct 21 with 3486 viewstrev1991

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:36 - Oct 21 by sparks

I dont agree with all you say. But one very good point is the complete absence of foreign scouting and recruitment in our squad.

Having watched Yeovil yesterday, half their squad has been recruited from forein climbs or so it seems. There is value to be had in foreign markets- and it is some years since we appear to have exploited it as other sides in the champ seem to.

Exactly. We complain, rightly so, that the money in English football is ridiculous. That it's not on an even level. Chambers has come out with it, so has Milne, so has our owner and manager. Despite that we've done nothing to try and combat it.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:38 - Oct 21 with 3477 viewssparks

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:37 - Oct 21 by trev1991

Exactly. We complain, rightly so, that the money in English football is ridiculous. That it's not on an even level. Chambers has come out with it, so has Milne, so has our owner and manager. Despite that we've done nothing to try and combat it.

Knudsen is probabluy the only one in recent years.

Holland, Denmark, Iceland- all obvious markets. But also Italy and Spanish 2nd tiers, Germany etc etc

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:38 - Oct 21 with 3477 viewsMullet

Walters aside, Hurst recruited these players. If he knew outside of League 1 and 2 we wouldn't be in this mess.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:41 - Oct 21 with 3444 viewsfooters

How some of you can't spot an undercover budgie is remarkable...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:49 - Oct 21 with 3388 viewstrev1991

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:38 - Oct 21 by Mullet

Walters aside, Hurst recruited these players. If he knew outside of League 1 and 2 we wouldn't be in this mess.

I understand. But we knew that when we recruited him Mullet.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:50 - Oct 21 with 3388 viewsoldollie

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:41 - Oct 21 by footers

The league positions don’t lie

I thought both teams were even during the derby

Since then Norwich have kicked in and are sitting in the play offs and well the less said the better

The point is form turns and Paul will sort it out

Keep the faith
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:53 - Oct 21 with 3364 viewsfooters

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:50 - Oct 21 by oldollie

Since then Norwich have kicked in and are sitting in the play offs and well the less said the better

Keep the faith

And another. Let's go for the hat-trick!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:54 - Oct 21 with 3363 viewsWestSussexBlue

Hurst and Doig have just had Two weeks since a decent result to work day in day out to instill the importance of yesterday’s game and put in a performance to take the points.
We didn’t get the points and From What I understand, the performance was again dire.
The buck ultimately stops with them.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:58 - Oct 21 with 3329 viewsBenters2

Keep the faith

I hope you are right,cant see it myself though.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:03 - Oct 21 with 3286 viewsm14_blue

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:58 - Oct 21 by Benters2

I hope you are right,cant see it myself though.

Doesn't seem likely at the moment does it?

Not sure who is going to come in and turn this set of players into a team good enough to stay in the champ though.
on 19:06 - Oct 21 with 3274 views_

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:09 - Oct 21 with 3249 viewstrev1991

Keep the faith

I think Paul stands a genuine chance but we'll have to recruit well in January. And not from League One / Two.
on 19:13 - Oct 21 with 3228 views_

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:09 - Oct 21 by trev1991

I think Paul stands a genuine chance but we'll have to recruit well in January. And not from League One / Two.

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:20 - Oct 21 with 3184 viewsGarv

on 19:13 - Oct 21 by _

I subscribed to this same view until watching the game yesterday. Pretty much the whole squad is not good enough. I can't imagine you had a problem with Walters coming in? He's gone now, I'd welcome a replacement.

[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 19:21]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:22 - Oct 21 with 3158 viewsStadiumofdark

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:09 - Oct 21 by trev1991

you'd trust him to make more signings? (whether we need them or not)

Crikey
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:26 - Oct 21 with 3131 viewsPilgrimblue

So what's your solution? Hope and pray that PH will get Huws and Bish fit!
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:28 - Oct 21 with 3125 viewstrev1991

Normally i'd agree. But we have a genuine League One squad at the moment. It has to be strengthened to stand a chance. It doesn't matter how well the squad knows each other if their ability is never going to exceed a certain base level.

I'm not saying more wholesale changes but maybe loan out a couple of the failed signings and get one or two experienced players in the right positions.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:31 - Oct 21 with 3103 viewsm14_blue

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 18:41 - Oct 21 by footers

Hiding in open sight too, he even told us he went to Forest and then eulogises about the budgies.

If they're not a budgie (and they're posting history certainly suggests they might be) then they take a novel approach to supporting town.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:34 - Oct 21 with 3080 viewsEireannach_gorm

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:26 - Oct 21 by Pilgrimblue

So what's your solution? Hope and pray that PH will get Huws and Bish fit!

The possible solution is to get rid of PH and let the physio's get Huws and Bish fit
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:36 - Oct 21 with 3059 viewsPJH

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:31 - Oct 21 by m14_blue

Hiding in open sight too, he even told us he went to Forest and then eulogises about the budgies.

If they're not a budgie (and they're posting history certainly suggests they might be) then they take a novel approach to supporting town.

Interesting that at 1704 yesterday he was not looking forward to his mate coming home because they won but today he reckons that he went to Forest with him.
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:37 - Oct 21 with 3043 viewsm14_blue

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:36 - Oct 21 by PJH

Interesting that at 1704 yesterday he was not looking forward to his mate coming home because they won but today he reckons that he went to Forest with him.

Whoops!
Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:39 - Oct 21 with 3031 viewsLeagueOne

"I don't think Hurst is the problem"

I disagree. This is the worse Town team ever assembled and makes Micks football look like Real Madrid at times.

We need to stop clinging on the the mentality of the 1980's, the project has failed, he needs to go. He's been an unmitigated disaster and will continue to be, another window of him trying to use the 5th lowest budget in the top two tiers of English football to recruit more of the same is not going to do anything else, especially the way he sets teams up, he's dreadful.

Out.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:45 - Oct 21 with 2969 viewsjeera

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:36 - Oct 21 by PJH

Brazen.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:47 - Oct 21 with 2964 viewsGuthrum

Let's stick with Paul Hurst on 19:28 - Oct 21 by trev1991

Normally i'd agree. But we have a genuine League One squad at the moment. It has to be strengthened to stand a chance. It doesn't matter how well the squad knows each other if their ability is never going to exceed a certain base level.

I'm not saying more wholesale changes but maybe loan out a couple of the failed signings and get one or two experienced players in the right positions.

No. We have a genuine League One manager.

I'd like to see what someone else could do with that set of players. There's enough talent there to see us better than safe (especially when you consider that getting on for half the regular squad were here last season).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024