Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. 08:18 - Nov 10 with 3190 viewsSwailsey

Thoughts?

I’m aware I’m opening a can of worms here with this, but it would be nice to just have a peaceful discussion about it.

For me, it’s great that they are going palm oil free and raising awareness. I think it’s an important message and delivered well. It’s a shocker that it’s banned.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:22 - Nov 10 with 2391 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I think the worms were let out earlier in the week.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:22 - Nov 10 with 2381 viewsSwailsey

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:22 - Nov 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think the worms were let out earlier in the week.

Have I missed a thread on this?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:24 - Nov 10 with 2373 viewsNo9

Good stuff, thanks for bringing it up.
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:26 - Nov 10 with 2371 viewsgtsb

We should have more ads like this imho. Unfortunately there are millions of people who don't understand the effects of palm oil production on the environment. Unfortunately politicians have too many fingers in too many pies throughout the world to care.
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:47 - Nov 10 with 2310 viewsNo9

I forgot to ask who banned it
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:48 - Nov 10 with 2307 viewssparks

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:47 - Nov 10 by No9

I struggle to understand why it would be controversial in any way on here.

And I struggle to understand justification for the ban. Its not party political. Hopefully the ban will get it more publicity than it would otherwise have- but its worrying that this sort of thing can be banned.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:55 - Nov 10 with 2280 viewsSwailsey

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:47 - Nov 10 by No9

Clearcast apparently.

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:58 - Nov 10 with 2276 viewssparks

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:55 - Nov 10 by Swailsey

Clearcast apparently.

"Clearcast said the advert "contravened the prohibition on political advertising", which included "an advertisement which is inserted by or on behalf of a body whose objects are wholly or mainly of a political nature" - referring to its origins as a Greenpeace advert."

They havent seen the WWF ad recently then...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:58 - Nov 10 with 2271 viewsNo9

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:55 - Nov 10 by Swailsey

Clearcast apparently.

Thanks for providing an answer but I've never heard of clearcast
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:05 - Nov 10 with 2252 viewsHarry_Palmer

Banned for being a bit too close to the truth I suspect. We can't have the public attention being brought to anything that might mean the big food companies losing money.
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:05 - Nov 10 with 2253 viewsSwailsey

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:58 - Nov 10 by No9

Thanks for providing an answer but I've never heard of clearcast

Neither had I!

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:06 - Nov 10 with 2251 viewsjjblue84

You can’t let any political discussion into adverstising, that would be a nightmare! But I think everyone already accepts that there’s no morals in the advertising game!
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:11 - Nov 10 with 2238 viewsSwansea_Blue

My thoughts for what they’re worth. I think it’s double standards to allow promotion of thinks that are bad for our health, wellbeing and the environment, but then ban an ad that raises a genuine problem. Let no man (woman, gender fluid person) stand in the way of rampant consumerism!

Funny old world innit by Swansea_Blue 9 Nov 2018 11:38
You can screen adverts about products that are proven to cause cancer, or that are largely responsible for our obesity epidemic or for a large proportion of violent crime, products which cost us £billions in extra health care and products that use up huge amounts of natural resources and damage our oceans, rivers, land.

But try and point out that we're screwing things up and advertise a product that goes part way towards addressing this, and you get pulled up.

Even if you're cynical and think this is just greenwash from Iceland for commercial gain, it seems strange that the rules lead to this kind of decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/nov/09/iceland-christmas-tv-ad-banned-political-greenpeace-orangutan

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:11 - Nov 10 with 2236 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 08:58 - Nov 10 by sparks

"Clearcast said the advert "contravened the prohibition on political advertising", which included "an advertisement which is inserted by or on behalf of a body whose objects are wholly or mainly of a political nature" - referring to its origins as a Greenpeace advert."

Are Greenpeace or WWF putting up candidates for election then?

If they are not, it is not in and of itself making any political point. The political parties should all be tackling environmental issues and any that are not need to justify why they are not (in my view an impossible task).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:15 - Nov 10 with 2234 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I suspect this has all gone exactly the way Iceland planned.

They and their advisers know the parameters they are allowed to operate in re the adverts.

They would have been well aware of the risk of it being banned... they would also have been aware that a ban would result in even bigger publicity.

I suspect they are quite pleased with themselves at Iceland towers.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2018 9:15]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:17 - Nov 10 with 2214 viewsWD19

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:06 - Nov 10 by jjblue84

You can’t let any political discussion into adverstising, that would be a nightmare! But I think everyone already accepts that there’s no morals in the advertising game!

Posters on here will not be surprised to hear that in Ipsos MORI most recent veracity index 'Ad Executives' are the least trusted profession in the UK....behind politicians.....and estate agents.
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:18 - Nov 10 with 2214 viewsSporall

Thats a stunning ad, and would seriously wake some people up to the horrors we inflict on our planet.
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:18 - Nov 10 with 2211 viewsNo9

Maybe this is aboput the Brazilian election and American backing?
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:22 - Nov 10 with 2199 viewssparks

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:18 - Nov 10 by No9

Maybe this is aboput the Brazilian election and American backing?

The more I think about it, the more I thikn that it is utterly disgraceful that this has been blocked from tv.

There is nothing party political about it. And the message is bloody important.

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:26 - Nov 10 with 2168 viewsWD19

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:22 - Nov 10 by sparks

The more I think about it, the more I thikn that it is utterly disgraceful that this has been blocked from tv.

There is nothing party political about it. And the message is bloody important.

I struggle to see the difference between this and Volvo and Sky aligning themselves with the anti-plastic push. Or indeed some of the quite strong messages that run through various charity campaigns.

Suspect there is an easy fix here (that might have been part of the plan all along) in that they can now rebadge this as the original Greepeace Ad and run it as a charity collection (?) and Iceland will get all the halo benefit (?)
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:28 - Nov 10 with 2156 viewsBenters2

I think is very good.

We really have fkd a lot of the animals and planet up.

Have a uppie.
Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:37 - Nov 10 with 2127 viewsStokieBlue

Watched it last night, it's brilliant and it's an outrage that its been banned.

Borderline censorship and not what this country should be about. It's becoming a quagmire.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:40 - Nov 10 with 2118 viewsBent_double

I think the WWF ad is superb, I'm certainly thinking of joining up.

That's the first time I've seen the Iceland one, can't see a problem with it personally - anything that helps educate and show awareness of the problem has to be a good thing, surely.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:42 - Nov 10 with 2110 viewsSwansea_Blue

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:18 - Nov 10 by Sporall

Thats a stunning ad, and would seriously wake some people up to the horrors we inflict on our planet.

It seems you can’t do that, but you can promote products that cause obesity, type 2 diabetes, gambling addictions, alcoholism, etc. Maybe those companies are more effective at lobbying government and have a bit more protection than Greenpeace, who are more a thorn in people’s sides.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Iceland advert: banned for being too policital. on 09:46 - Nov 10 with 2096 viewsfactual_blue

No lose situation. They'll get as much - if not more - publicity from this story than from the actual advert.

And people will go on youtube to watch it anyway.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024