Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aren't England a joy to watch? 07:18 - Mar 26 with 5375 viewschristiand

Never a huge fan of the international break, but really enjoying watching England play. These types of games would've been clumsily overcome in the past, however the English team are playing with confidence, poise and intensity and sweeping these countries aside. Really believe exciting times lay ahead for this squad.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 7:24]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 07:27 - Mar 26 with 4682 viewsTractorCam

I never use to even watch England during these breaks, now I wish I could see more of them.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 07:35 - Mar 26 with 4655 viewshomer_123

Still not as good as the football we are seeing at PR.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 08:20 - Mar 26 with 4614 viewsitfcjoe

It's brilliant, we've scored 10 goals in 2 games against sides that are 'no mugs' - this isn't San Marino, Andorra and Liechtinstein - these are decent outfits who have a chance to qualify.

A young team, pace throughout it and just playing with belief

It's coming home

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 08:30 - Mar 26 with 4588 viewsReuser_is_God

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 08:20 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

It's brilliant, we've scored 10 goals in 2 games against sides that are 'no mugs' - this isn't San Marino, Andorra and Liechtinstein - these are decent outfits who have a chance to qualify.

A young team, pace throughout it and just playing with belief

It's coming home

Love watching this side.

I was watching the Czech game in Prague & all the locals were just in awe of us.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 08:38 - Mar 26 with 4572 viewsKieran_Knows

If people can't enjoy the international breaks now, they never will. Great start to the campaign, long may it continue!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:23 - Mar 26 with 4503 viewscatch74

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 07:35 - Mar 26 by homer_123

Still not as good as the football we are seeing at PR.

Southgate was asked if England could have played football like this a year ago, he said no - the players needed the confidence to do so. Looks, like England we’ll have a young team next year, just hope we can get the confidence of a few wins early on.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:29 - Mar 26 with 4487 viewsIpswichKnight

Absolutely! Put to bed that we are only a set piece team. We are still a bit ropey at the back at times but we look like we can score at will, i can see us giving someone a proper hiding soon as well we gave up after the 5th goal last night.

Still think France and Belgium are just a bit better than us, mainly as they are tighter and more experienced at the back but we are catching up fast and you can see us winning the nations league and have a really good chance to win the Euro's next year.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:33 - Mar 26 with 4469 viewsBerlinBlue

It's looking very promising. In all of this, I do believe that Southgate is one of the best things to have happened to the England squad. He really has his head screwed on and is approaching everything in the right way. He gets it.
Login to get fewer ads

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:37 - Mar 26 with 4459 viewsTractorJack

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:29 - Mar 26 by IpswichKnight

Absolutely! Put to bed that we are only a set piece team. We are still a bit ropey at the back at times but we look like we can score at will, i can see us giving someone a proper hiding soon as well we gave up after the 5th goal last night.

Still think France and Belgium are just a bit better than us, mainly as they are tighter and more experienced at the back but we are catching up fast and you can see us winning the nations league and have a really good chance to win the Euro's next year.

To be fair on the defence, those are our 3rd and 4th choice CBs. Gomez and Stones would surely be first choice pairing when fit. Would also expect TAA to be in front of Walker soon.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:38 - Mar 26 with 4457 viewsPecker

A joy indeed.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:39 - Mar 26 with 4453 viewsITFC_Cotton

I think a lot of this has to come down to some of the great managers that the premier league has attracted over the last couple of years. You only have to look at the fact that all four English teams are still in the champions league. These four teams include pretty much the backbone of this English side (Kane, Alli, Sterling etc), really is an exciting time for the national team and English football as a whole.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:48 - Mar 26 with 4427 viewsFtnfwest

England fans are never happy unless we score 5 every game...oh hang on.

It's encouraging but at times when they pass it around in front of teams for long periods it's just so slow and you really worry for us against the top sides. But at least now you'd go into those games such as the Nations League in June knowing we've at least got a chance.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:52 - Mar 26 with 4412 viewsIpswichKnight

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:37 - Mar 26 by TractorJack

To be fair on the defence, those are our 3rd and 4th choice CBs. Gomez and Stones would surely be first choice pairing when fit. Would also expect TAA to be in front of Walker soon.

yes i agree, I am being very picky and it's a really minor thing! We are only going to get better as a team and as others have said it's a real joy to watch this England team as for a few pundits who say they are not as good as the "golden generation" utter rubbish they are far better.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:17 - Mar 26 with 4312 viewslinhdi

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:29 - Mar 26 by IpswichKnight

You're right about France and Belgium - Mbappé or Kane? Pogba or Henderson? Ah. Or Vertonghen / Alderweireld v Maguire / Keane.

But Southgate is, in Sir Alf style, finding a way of playing around our limitations and making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:26 - Mar 26 with 4288 viewsHerbivore

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:17 - Mar 26 by linhdi

You're right about France and Belgium - Mbappé or Kane? Pogba or Henderson? Ah. Or Vertonghen / Alderweireld v Maguire / Keane.

But Southgate is, in Sir Alf style, finding a way of playing around our limitations and making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Kane is the leading scorer in the Prem over the past few years, for all that Mbappe catches the eye I'm not sure a choice of him versus Kane is as one-sided as you suggest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:50 - Mar 26 with 4253 viewsStokieBlue

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:17 - Mar 26 by linhdi

Those aren't really like for like comparisons.

For instance Henderson isn't likely to be first choice I doubt and Maguire/Keane definitely isn't first choice when Stones and Gomez are fit.

I also think it's worth expanding it - what are the top 6 French attackers like compared to ours? The squad depth is what is impressive at the moment. Historically one key injury has totally destroyed us, that is less likely at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:01 - Mar 26 with 4235 viewspeterleeblue

Fundamental difference to me is that young players are getting in on ability not who they play for. England is now a chance to showcase themselves and may be get a move from say a top club reserve side into say a Leicester or an Everton first team.
There seems a recognition that International Football is different to club football and the more experienced players don't form clicks.
If we can find a young Moderic we have a real chance.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:18 - Mar 26 with 4211 viewsOsborneOneNil

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:26 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Kane is the leading scorer in the Prem over the past few years, for all that Mbappe catches the eye I'm not sure a choice of him versus Kane is as one-sided as you suggest.

100% agree on that
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:22 - Mar 26 with 4198 viewsHerbivore

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:18 - Mar 26 by OsborneOneNil

100% agree on that

This might be a first.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:34 - Mar 26 with 4182 viewsblueislander

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:39 - Mar 26 by ITFC_Cotton

I think a lot of this has to come down to some of the great managers that the premier league has attracted over the last couple of years. You only have to look at the fact that all four English teams are still in the champions league. These four teams include pretty much the backbone of this English side (Kane, Alli, Sterling etc), really is an exciting time for the national team and English football as a whole.

I don’t think it has that much to do with Premier League managers. More to do with the England age group structure, and the clubs’ academies.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:38 - Mar 26 with 4172 viewsSuperblue95

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 09:52 - Mar 26 by IpswichKnight

yes i agree, I am being very picky and it's a really minor thing! We are only going to get better as a team and as others have said it's a real joy to watch this England team as for a few pundits who say they are not as good as the "golden generation" utter rubbish they are far better.

Individually the players aren’t as good as those from the golden generation but collectively they are substantially better

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:45 - Mar 26 with 4151 viewsitfcjoe

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 12:38 - Mar 26 by Superblue95

Individually the players aren’t as good as those from the golden generation but collectively they are substantially better

It's a bit early to say that - we were one of the better sides in WC 2002, Euro 2004 and WC 2006 and could easily have won either tournament with a bit of luck.

Those teams will ultimately be seen as failures - but realistically it is the 10 years since the 2006 WC when the 'Golden Generation' were out of their prime that has dampened expectations.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 14:13 - Mar 26 with 4041 viewsPecker

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 11:50 - Mar 26 by StokieBlue

Those aren't really like for like comparisons.

For instance Henderson isn't likely to be first choice I doubt and Maguire/Keane definitely isn't first choice when Stones and Gomez are fit.

I also think it's worth expanding it - what are the top 6 French attackers like compared to ours? The squad depth is what is impressive at the moment. Historically one key injury has totally destroyed us, that is less likely at the moment.

SB

I think Maguire is a first choice now. Thought he was brilliant last night and is really growing at International level. Only 26 as well I think they said last night. I rate him highly.
Aren't England a joy to watch? on 14:20 - Mar 26 with 4019 viewsStokieBlue

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 14:13 - Mar 26 by Pecker

I think Maguire is a first choice now. Thought he was brilliant last night and is really growing at International level. Only 26 as well I think they said last night. I rate him highly.

Yes, I meant the partnership.

It's him and Stones I would think.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Aren't England a joy to watch? on 14:24 - Mar 26 with 4008 viewsIpswichKnight

Look who was missing last night, Lindgard, Rashford and Dier, plus Sancho and Henderson on the bench.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024