Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this going too far? 13:17 - May 31 with 5219 viewsStokieBlue

So they certainly have some valid points but is closing Heathrow for 10 days in July an acceptable protest?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48470623

It's literally blackmail but is that justified?

SB
[Post edited 1 Jun 2019 13:16]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is this going to far? on 13:18 - May 31 with 2124 viewsHolyGoalie

I fly out in August, so as long as they're done by then fight the good fight I say.

Ipswich by the grace of gloves

Is this going to far? on 13:21 - May 31 with 2121 viewslowhouseblue

Is this going to far? on 13:18 - May 31 by HolyGoalie

I fly out in August, so as long as they're done by then fight the good fight I say.

and in that context here's something for footy fans to be proud of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48470944

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Is this going to far? on 13:21 - May 31 with 2122 viewspickles110564

They believe they are saving the planet, no one is listening, look how many flights are booked from this country for the Champion League Final.
Why did they not just use Wembly instead?
Is this going to far? on 13:23 - May 31 with 2104 viewsIllinoisblue

no, it's not acceptable and the organisers should be arrested and charged with threats to commit terrorism.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is this going to far? on 13:24 - May 31 with 2088 viewspickles110564

Is this going to far? on 13:23 - May 31 by Illinoisblue

no, it's not acceptable and the organisers should be arrested and charged with threats to commit terrorism.

That's just a tad extreme?
Is this going to far? on 13:25 - May 31 with 2081 viewsHolyGoalie

Is this going to far? on 13:24 - May 31 by pickles110564

That's just a tad extreme?

terrorism usually is, yup

Ipswich by the grace of gloves

Is this going to far? on 13:28 - May 31 with 2053 viewsStokieBlue

Is this going to far? on 13:21 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

and in that context here's something for footy fans to be proud of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48470944

Surely UEFA should be the ones on the hook here. Fans are always going to travel to a final regardless of location but with two all-English finals they could have decided to move them both to Wembley and claimed some environmental moral high ground.

Of course that would mean they didn't get the bucket loads of cash from said cities.

SB

Is this going to far? on 13:29 - May 31 with 2043 viewshomer_123

Quite possibly too little too late anyway.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Is this going to far? on 13:31 - May 31 with 2032 viewsRyorry

As I've said before about their previous protest, I think it'll alienate more people (esp those who've booked early for weddings & other key family events etc.) than it encourages to join their cause.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is this going to far? on 13:33 - May 31 with 2015 viewshomer_123

Is this going to far? on 13:28 - May 31 by StokieBlue

Surely UEFA should be the ones on the hook here. Fans are always going to travel to a final regardless of location but with two all-English finals they could have decided to move them both to Wembley and claimed some environmental moral high ground.

Of course that would mean they didn't get the bucket loads of cash from said cities.

SB

UEFA and moral high ground in the same paragraph?

Does not compute.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is this going to far? on 13:35 - May 31 with 1998 viewsFtnfwest

they could just fly one across the path of Emma Thompson's weekly flight
Is this going to far? on 13:37 - May 31 with 1983 viewsbraveblue

Full time protestors. Find and arrest them. They should try democratic means and try a country that is doing nothing about it.
"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:44 - May 31 with 1966 viewsDyland

Is this going to far? on 13:37 - May 31 by braveblue

Full time protestors. Find and arrest them. They should try democratic means and try a country that is doing nothing about it.

Bit of whataboutery there Bravers. This threat is specifically about the expansion of Heathrow airport.

I don't disagree with the sentiment though, but as Pickers says in this thread direct action is probably the best way to get the authorities to listen. Otherwise it doesn't stand a chance.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:48 - May 31 with 1945 viewsStokieBlue

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:44 - May 31 by Dyland

Bit of whataboutery there Bravers. This threat is specifically about the expansion of Heathrow airport.

I don't disagree with the sentiment though, but as Pickers says in this thread direct action is probably the best way to get the authorities to listen. Otherwise it doesn't stand a chance.

The trouble is if the government changes it's policy due to blackmail what's stopping some far more unsavoury element without a good point closing the airport until some bizarre demand is met?

SB

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:49 - May 31 with 1939 viewsSpruceMoose

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:48 - May 31 by StokieBlue

The trouble is if the government changes it's policy due to blackmail what's stopping some far more unsavoury element without a good point closing the airport until some bizarre demand is met?

SB

I'll be targeting Happy Shopper with drones until the Wagon Wheel returns to the correct size.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is this going to far? on 13:50 - May 31 with 1935 viewsWeWereZombies

Tsk, 'too' not 'to'. Unless you mean the Champions League final should be relocated to a Scottish township just off the A9 (but that's 'Farr' not 'Far').

As an aside, I read about in the latest John Muir Trust newsletter something I thought would never look likely to happen, a renewables powered aircraft:

https://avinor.no/en/aviation/news/first-electric-aircraft/

Tackling habitat loss of species other than human beings can be a different and sometimes conflicting activity to responding to climate change but it is encouraging to see technology that can do at least one of these things.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:51 - May 31 with 1933 viewsDyland

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:48 - May 31 by StokieBlue

SB

Ah, but I didn't say the government should cave into ER's demands ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:53 - May 31 with 1925 viewsfooters

"try a country that is doing nothing about it" on 13:44 - May 31 by Dyland

Well, Mrs May received a very strong letter from a lot of UK business leaders earlier demanding that she take climate action now, and commit to some pretty ambitious targets. The government says it is 'on the path' to doing something- what does that mean? How much more encouragement do they need if that's not enough?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is this going to far? on 13:54 - May 31 with 1910 viewspickles110564

Is this going to far? on 13:37 - May 31 by braveblue

Sorry but democratic means does not work anymore in this country.
Is this going to far? on 13:55 - May 31 with 1901 viewsSpruceMoose

Is this going to far? on 13:54 - May 31 by pickles110564

Sorry but democratic means does not work anymore in this country.

You're talking about Brexit here aren't you?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Is this going to far? on 13:56 - May 31 with 1895 viewspickles110564

Is this going to far? on 13:55 - May 31 by SpruceMoose

You're talking about Brexit here aren't you?

Cant see your response as I have you on ignore.
Is this going to far? on 13:57 - May 31 with 1894 viewsBloomBlue

If they also accept the internet is switched off for those same 10 days then that's fine.

Note: I assume those of us travelling first class will be exempt from the 10 day clousure.
Is this going to far? on 14:01 - May 31 with 1881 viewsGeoffSentence

Is this going to far? on 13:23 - May 31 by Illinoisblue

And this, my friends, is exactly why you need to be so careful of legislation like RIPA. Someone, somewhere will always want to extend its reach.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is this going to far? on 14:01 - May 31 with 1880 viewsSpruceMoose

Is this going to far? on 13:56 - May 31 by pickles110564

Cant see your response as I have you on ignore.

Not surprised you didn't want to see my response to you accusing me of lying about my father's death, or the response to when you accused me of abandoning my brother afterwards!

I hope ignore mode brings you some peace, Branston.

Is this going to far? on 14:01 - May 31 with 1878 viewsfooters

Is this going to far? on 13:57 - May 31 by BloomBlue

If they also accept the internet is switched off for those same 10 days then that's fine.

Note: I assume those of us travelling first class will be exempt from the 10 day clousure.

That's an awful lot of stamps.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024