Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game number 1000 tomorrow.... 10:55 - Sep 13 with 1586 viewsITFC_Forever

Not sure if that's something to be proud of or not.

In ITFC supporting circles, I suppose it's a decent enough effort to reach that milestone at the age of 44, but I know there's plenty out there who have done more (1000 in a row and counting for Phil Taylor for example).

But when I've mentioned it to friends and family who either don't follow football / ITFC or only in passing, they are incredulous and think I'm off my rocker - partly for having spent (wasted!) so much time going to football, and partly for keeping records (I get that bit).

And when I look back, I have certainly always used ITFC as a point of reference in my life - my friends and family are frequently amazed as to how I can pinpoint events, and the way I do it is usually by working what ITFC were doing at the time, the music that was around, or what I was doing in my school / college / worklife. But usually ITFC.

And I also know full well all the time effort and money I have spent following ITFC, re-arranging the rest of my life around the fixture list.... no, we can't do that, Town are at home / I was going to go to XXXX away that day.

And supporting a run-of-the-mill club such as us which until recently spent 17 consecutive years in the same division can be pretty joy-less, there are those moments which make it all worthwhile - they give you a buzz and feeling that absolutely nothing else can.

Here's to the next 1000.....

(Yes, I know, "look at me" etc)
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 13:39]

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:01 - Sep 13 with 1547 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Congrats, hopefully marked by us returning to the top of the league

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:02 - Sep 13 with 1548 viewsJakeITFC

When did you start counting? Was it hard to backfill or is it something you’ve always done?
Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:07 - Sep 13 with 1529 viewsITFC_Forever

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:02 - Sep 13 by JakeITFC

When did you start counting? Was it hard to backfill or is it something you’ve always done?

Started when I was about 20.... luckily, I have / had a decent memory for games I had been to when I was at primary school, and then once I started going regularly, which ones I had missed, so I used old programmes to work out which games and dates they were.

Then when I started going to away games, I knew which ones I had been to.

I also keep a record of which opponents I have seen the most, who I have seen score the most goals for us (Pablo is 10 ahead of the field) and which grounds I have been to .... one of my ambitions is to do the 92, I'm 14 away from it at the moment - Rochdale will tick another one off, but Notts County going down and Bury going bust didn't help.

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:21 - Sep 13 with 1497 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's hard to understand for people who don't get it - I'm fortunate to have a very understanding wife who accepts that I will go to every home game and a few away games every season.

I'm pretty good at being fair though, and up front and it never really becomes an issue - guess that is the difference between picking and choosing away games (and not being worried about missing a home game or two every season) opposed to never missing a game at all.

Sometimes sloping off to U23s and U18s games can be a bit dicey but I tend to get away with more than most!

Also - I have a ticket now for Gillingham, what are your plans for it as I haven't really got any at the moment.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:26 - Sep 13 with 1472 viewsITFC_Forever

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:21 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

I think it's hard to understand for people who don't get it - I'm fortunate to have a very understanding wife who accepts that I will go to every home game and a few away games every season.

I'm pretty good at being fair though, and up front and it never really becomes an issue - guess that is the difference between picking and choosing away games (and not being worried about missing a home game or two every season) opposed to never missing a game at all.

Sometimes sloping off to U23s and U18s games can be a bit dicey but I tend to get away with more than most!

Also - I have a ticket now for Gillingham, what are your plans for it as I haven't really got any at the moment.

My wife is pretty understanding (to a point), with my bro-in-law making it as high as playing pro for 15 years, she was brought up with football running the show at home.

And with her being a paramedic, BC (Before Children) she worked full-time, so that would often used to include nights / weekends / both, allowing me to fill my boots going to away games.
I agreed to tone down the away games since they were born, and limited it to half a dozen away games a season and a ST (although I usually manage to miss a couple of home games a season), but when it gets interesting (2014-15 and this season), I have upped the away games the best I can without her noticing too much.

I'll text you re; Gills....

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:41 - Sep 13 with 1431 viewsGeoffSentence

Think how much money that you have spent on watching Town.

All that could have gone to feeding poor kids in Africa you heartless b'stard.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 12:57 - Sep 13 with 1340 viewsIllinoisblue

Great effort. For How many of those 1000 do you have a programme?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 13:32 - Sep 13 with 1287 viewsITFC_Forever

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 12:57 - Sep 13 by Illinoisblue

Great effort. For How many of those 1000 do you have a programme?

The vast majority.... all bar half a dozen I would imagine.

And I've also go a load of programmes from the late 70s / early 80s a friend of the family gave me when I was about 10 or so, so I reckon I've got well over 1200 programmes.

Login to get fewer ads

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 17:11 - Sep 13 with 1159 viewsBluefish

Well done fella, that is a top milestone and must rank you highly in our superfan category.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 18:56 - Sep 13 with 1095 viewsITFC_Forever

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 17:11 - Sep 13 by Bluefish

Well done fella, that is a top milestone and must rank you highly in our superfan category.

Cheers.

Waiting for my badge to come through the post.

I’ve already had the text to confirm my other privileges.

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 19:52 - Sep 13 with 1038 viewsSwansea_Blue

Congrats, that a good effort. Absolutely it’s something to be proud of. Actually counting them and keeping track though...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 19:54 - Sep 13 with 1035 viewsSpruceMoose

Definitely something to consider an achievement. Well done.

Out of interest... I wonder what the cost of football over 1000 games would be?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 20:36 - Sep 13 with 995 viewsxrayspecs

Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 11:07 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Started when I was about 20.... luckily, I have / had a decent memory for games I had been to when I was at primary school, and then once I started going regularly, which ones I had missed, so I used old programmes to work out which games and dates they were.

Then when I started going to away games, I knew which ones I had been to.

I also keep a record of which opponents I have seen the most, who I have seen score the most goals for us (Pablo is 10 ahead of the field) and which grounds I have been to .... one of my ambitions is to do the 92, I'm 14 away from it at the moment - Rochdale will tick another one off, but Notts County going down and Bury going bust didn't help.

Not sure how many Town games, a lot, but suspect not a 1000. I would have started before you too, mid 70s was first game but have lived a couple of hours away from IP1 for last 30 years.

I did manage to complete the 92 last season, not all Town games, it becomes quite an obsession when you get down to the last 10 or so. Completed the 92 at Morecambe, then the following week, Spurs got a licence for their new ground, so was back to 91 again. Managed to get to new Spurs stadium at the end of last season, so was back up to 92. Now Salford are in the league, I have another one to visit. AFC Wimbledon and Brentford will have new stadiums next season so the ground hopping fun continues.
Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 21:12 - Sep 13 with 971 viewshave_a_word_with_him

Well done young man, I think that is utterly tremendous. Anyone is fully entitled to do whatever they want with their time and money, and sincerely please do indeed ignore the slings and arrows which it may seem have come your way, you are right on and with fortitude can say, "well I enjoy it so stuff you".
Game number 1000 tomorrow.... on 06:49 - Sep 14 with 814 viewsbluejacko

Congratulations 👍 it’s good that you have managed to keep a count, God knows how many most of us have been to. 😀
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024