Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes 16:50 - Feb 26 with 8191 viewsmonytowbray

They give you the following stipulations...

- You have one wish
- It has to be anything football related
- It has to be changing an event from the past to determine a new present day scenario (which could be good or bad, no foresight as to how it will change but it's worth the gamble)
- For some odd reason the genie says you can't change SBR leaving for the England job (although for the sake of this thread it's because it's too obvious an answer, let's think outside the box people!)

What do you ask for, and what would you hope the result of this wish would be in 2020?

For me, I'd go back and stop the club expanding the then-North Stand. Pretty much the catalyst that resulted in this mess way before Evans showed up. Also ruined the atmosphere a bit too. I hope we'd still be in the PL or would have at least stayed there longer with a better infrastructure and finances if we had of slipped out. The North Stand may have been redeveloped but the one tier stand remains as it's as integral to the club as The Kop is for Liverpool. Instead we rebuilt the Cobbold into a larger capacity stand at a later date once we knew we had the finances rather than relying on a payout from ITV digital.

[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 16:53]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

You stumble across a magic lamp for a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:53 - Feb 26 with 3477 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we were too quick to expand the stadium.

For me the biggest disappointment was relegation in 2002.

My wish would be for Stewie to remain fit for that season.

Did think about wishing that Scowie was never sold! I think that had a big impact on the team.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

You stumble across a magic lamp for a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:54 - Feb 26 with 3471 viewsLord_Lucan

That's not a bad post actually.

I wouldn't have been so tight over a few quid and would have landed either Pat Jennings or Peter Shilton.

Modern day answer - I would have made sure we signed Mart Poom (I can't remember why we didn't) and or not sacked Jim Magilton.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:55 - Feb 26 with 3469 viewsSteve_M

Signing Mart Poom in Summer 2001.

We stay up comfortably, spend several seasons in the Premier and then when we do get relegated we do so in position to rebuild and go up again (say in about May 2009).

That or Darren Currie not missing a really good chance at Leeds in April 2005.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:00 - Feb 26 with 3425 viewsPecker

I wish England had beaten Germany in the 90 world cup semi. Would put an end to all the 66 stuff being rammed down our throats ever since.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:08 - Feb 26 with 3392 viewsMagicMagilton15

Any decision that negatively factored into our administration, such as redeveloping the North Stand, is as good as answer as any.

Knowing what we know about Tony Mowbray's managerial nous and record, I'd be tempted to go back in time and give him the permanent job after Burley's sacking. Tue, we would've missed out on two enjoyable campaigns under Royle, but arguably our longer-term health would be better. Imagine giving Mowbray several years to sort us out and potentially be the next Burley.

I mean, we could go back and stop the likes of Keane and Jewell being hired. Somebody other than Hurst being hired as well - although by that time the decline was well and truly underway.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:12 - Feb 26 with 3369 viewsWeWereZombies

October 1990 - The other eighty seven clubs in the Football League decide to expel Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Everton if they go ahead with trying to push the formation of the Premier League. Greg Dyke finds another home for his money (as does Murdoch) and football goes on as before.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:20 - Feb 26 with 3331 viewsGlasgowBlue

Appointed Sir Alex Ferguson when Sir Bobby took the England job.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:38 - Feb 26 with 3272 viewsLord_Lucan

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:20 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

Appointed Sir Alex Ferguson when Sir Bobby took the England job.

That's daft GB

You may as well say - signed Maradonna

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:42 - Feb 26 with 3264 viewsParisBlue

Aside from the obvious ones, I wonder what would have happened had Ian Westlake scored instead of smacking the post towards the end of the Play-off semi Vs West Ham.

Or April 2003 had we beaten Forest in that bonkers 3-4 defeat and Rotherham (concerned 2 goals in last 5 minutes to lose 2-1) to sneak into the Play-offs. We had a decent team still.

Before my time but VAR would have been handy in the 75 cup semi-final. And in that West Ham game in 85/86 when Mark Ward dived and essentially relegated us.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:43 - Feb 26 with 3260 viewshamburger_sv

Joe Fagan takes over from Bobby Robson.

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:48 - Feb 26 with 3238 viewshamburger_sv

Prevent Alf Ramsey from taking the England job.

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:53 - Feb 26 with 3225 viewsPJH

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:48 - Feb 26 by hamburger_sv

Prevent Alf Ramsey from taking the England job.

Not sure that that would have helped because a lot of the team that had won the title were getting past their best and there was nothing in reserve.

Alf tended to remain loyal to those players even if they were past the best so I do not think his leaving had any dramatic bearing on what followed.This does not downplay what he achieved here in the slightest but we were not about to win the title again at that time or anything like that.

It would have been good if Bobby Robson had not gone when he did but the OP says that him staying was not an option for this exercise.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:58 - Feb 26 with 3212 viewsGlasgowBlue

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:38 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

That's daft GB

We were an established Top 4 Premier League* club with players who had just returned from the 1982 World Cup, Mariner, Mills, Butcher, Wark, Brazil.

A club of our stature at the time should have gone for Fergie or Venables. Not the assistant manager already at our club.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 18:00]

Iron Lion Zion

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:00 - Feb 26 with 3206 viewsPJH

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:58 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

We were an established Top 4 Premier League* club with players who had just returned from the 1982 World Cup, Mariner, Mills, Butcher, Wark, Brazil.

A club of our stature at the time should have gone for Fergie or Venables. Not the assistant manager already at our club.

Burley had just come back from 1982 World Cup too although he did not get a game in Spain.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:21 - Feb 26 with 3168 viewsLord_Lucan

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:58 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

Ah, apologies

I thought that the decision had to based on something that we could have changed or was on the line to make happen.

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:28 - Feb 26 with 3158 viewsGlasgowBlue

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:21 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

Ah, apologies

I thought that the decision had to based on something that we could have changed or was on the line to make happen.

I don’t think we interviewed anyone for the job. BF was just given the job when SBR left which in hindsight was mental.

That was the beginning of our decline as a club.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 18:28]

Iron Lion Zion

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:36 - Feb 26 with 3126 viewsLord_Lucan

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:28 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t think we interviewed anyone for the job. BF was just given the job when SBR left which in hindsight was mental.

That was the beginning of our decline as a club.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 18:28]

Yes I agree to that - although Ferguson was a terrific coach. I think we were adopting the Liverpool approach of appointing within.

There was talk many many years later that Cobbolds asked SBR who he thought should get the job and he said "Ferguson" but actually meant the "Alex" version but I think that is 100% hogwash.

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:55 - Feb 26 with 3105 viewsjayessess

I'd stop the Evans takeover. Not because I have any illusions about the state of the club when he took over or because I think he "underfunds us", but because I think the experience of getting bought out by some rich guy ruined the community connections between the club, the supporters and the town.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:59 - Feb 26 with 3096 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Each time we have developed the ground we have ended up selling the team to finance it and dropping after. However, developing the stadium also gives us the potential to be a team that is financially able to be stable in the Championship or even Premier League.

I would change turning down the bid for McGoldrick whenever it was. If he had gone then he would at least have been a Premier League winner regardless of whether those funds would have made a real difference to us. I think if MM had spent a fair amount of them they may have done.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 19:28 - Feb 26 with 3026 viewsjaykay

a certain j fashanu didnt play on 20th april 1981

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:08 - Feb 27 with 2812 viewsoldburian

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:38 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

That's daft GB

We did interview Ferguson and was the preferred option but there was a snag in one or two of his demands. The Cobbolds were renowned for being totally straight and above board hence they hated the likes of Bob Lord who, reputedly, was not totally kosher with finances.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:19 - Feb 27 with 2782 viewsyorkshire

Generically I think we should have done more to build our fan base in the late 70s / early 80s - at the time we were one of the best teams in the world. Commericalisation of football was still in it's infancy and we could have built a brand that is as big as the likes of Manchester United or Barcelona

Picking one game I think it would be the 0-6 loss to Liverpool in 2002 - that put an end to a run of 9 out of 10 wins (and the one we lost we were 2-0 up in) - we only won once more after that taking 6 more points out of 13 games when 10 points would have likely kept us up
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 14:37]
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:26 - Feb 27 with 2766 viewshatch

Signed Shaun Derry and Charlie Austin in a double signing under McCarthy. We'd be in Sheffield Utd's position now...
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:30 - Feb 27 with 2756 viewsNotSure

I would wish that George Burley left the club in the summer of 2001.
Not sacked because he wouldn't have deserved that but left to manage Spurs.

This would have stopped us being relegated in 2002, no administration and Marcus Evans would never have bought the club. By 2020 we are a yo-yo club between the top 2 divisions much like Norwich or West Brom.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:32 - Feb 27 with 2756 viewsLord_Lucan

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:08 - Feb 27 by oldburian

We did interview Ferguson and was the preferred option but there was a snag in one or two of his demands. The Cobbolds were renowned for being totally straight and above board hence they hated the likes of Bob Lord who, reputedly, was not totally kosher with finances.

Sorry but I don't think I'm having that.

I remember absolutely nothing about anything but Bobby Ferguson simply walking into it. I certainly remember nothing about any other people being interviewed and I have never in my life heard anyone say anything different.

Anyone else remember this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024