Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes 16:50 - Feb 26 with 8345 viewsmonytowbray

They give you the following stipulations...

- You have one wish
- It has to be anything football related
- It has to be changing an event from the past to determine a new present day scenario (which could be good or bad, no foresight as to how it will change but it's worth the gamble)
- For some odd reason the genie says you can't change SBR leaving for the England job (although for the sake of this thread it's because it's too obvious an answer, let's think outside the box people!)

What do you ask for, and what would you hope the result of this wish would be in 2020?

For me, I'd go back and stop the club expanding the then-North Stand. Pretty much the catalyst that resulted in this mess way before Evans showed up. Also ruined the atmosphere a bit too. I hope we'd still be in the PL or would have at least stayed there longer with a better infrastructure and finances if we had of slipped out. The North Stand may have been redeveloped but the one tier stand remains as it's as integral to the club as The Kop is for Liverpool. Instead we rebuilt the Cobbold into a larger capacity stand at a later date once we knew we had the finances rather than relying on a payout from ITV digital.

[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 16:53]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:36 - Feb 27 with 4810 viewsSwansea_Blue

Decent service at half time

In light of how the last few years have gone, I'd ask the genie to go back and appoint Hoddle after Magilton was sacked. Or maybe even better, for the genie to help Sheepie find a different owner who wouldn't make so many mistakes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:39 - Feb 27 with 4804 viewsjontysnut

we beat Arsenal at home in April 1981. Buoyed with confidence we then neat Boro away. We then do a Villa and win the European Cup the next year
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:44 - Feb 27 with 4794 viewsHalf_Idiot

In recent history it would have to be beating Derby at home during the 14/15 season, it was the beginning of our demise that season and then the seasons to come. Had we won that, we would have been top and may have carried the momentum to win the league.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:51 - Feb 27 with 4791 viewsmonytowbray

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:44 - Feb 27 by Half_Idiot

In recent history it would have to be beating Derby at home during the 14/15 season, it was the beginning of our demise that season and then the seasons to come. Had we won that, we would have been top and may have carried the momentum to win the league.

That's a good one. I think that was the point when the press and rival fan comment of "but are they good enough to go all the way with that budget?" got into their head. Annoying too as Derby were sh1te that match, literally got a goal from a keeper hoof and Tommy Smith mistake after their arrogant fanbase (and the odd Derby fan club on here) insisted they'd outclass us,

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:58 - Feb 27 with 4787 viewsSouperJim

Reading win away to Wigan on the final day in 2005, sending us up.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 15:09 - Feb 27 with 4776 viewsSomethingBlue

Probably that we didn't let Ivar Ingimarsson equalise our injury-time goal at Reading in Jan 2005 while we were basically still celebrating. Don't think we'd have let up if we'd won that and promotion that year might have been enough to turn us into a yo-yo club til the really big money rolled in.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 15:27 - Feb 27 with 4765 viewsPJH

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:39 - Feb 27 by jontysnut

we beat Arsenal at home in April 1981. Buoyed with confidence we then neat Boro away. We then do a Villa and win the European Cup the next year

Between losing to Arsenal and going to Mbro we lost in Norfolk and beat Man C at PR plus played the 2nd leg of the UEFA Cup semi final in Cologne.

If we had won any of the 5 league games we lost out of 7 played we would probably have won the title.

We also lost at home to Southampton but that was after the title had been decided.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 15:32 - Feb 27 with 4762 viewsPJH

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 14:32 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

Sorry but I don't think I'm having that.

I remember absolutely nothing about anything but Bobby Ferguson simply walking into it. I certainly remember nothing about any other people being interviewed and I have never in my life heard anyone say anything different.

Anyone else remember this?

I certainly do not remember there being any talk of us interviewing Alex Ferguson.

I thought it was just a myth that grew that Bobby Robson was supposedly asked by the Board if he had any recommendations for his replacement and he said Ferguson (meaning Alex) and the Board thought he meant Bobby Ferguson-a myth I believe.
Login to get fewer ads

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:28 - Feb 27 with 4730 viewsLord_Lucan

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 15:32 - Feb 27 by PJH

I certainly do not remember there being any talk of us interviewing Alex Ferguson.

I thought it was just a myth that grew that Bobby Robson was supposedly asked by the Board if he had any recommendations for his replacement and he said Ferguson (meaning Alex) and the Board thought he meant Bobby Ferguson-a myth I believe.

I make you right PJH

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:42 - Feb 27 with 4718 viewsWeWereZombies

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 15:32 - Feb 27 by PJH

I seem to recall something about Alex Ferguson in 'An Englishman Abroad' but it might just have been about Ferguson being the best club manager for releasing players for England duty when Sir Bob was the national manager. I could check but I lent my copy to my brother (and for him to then pass on to my other brother). I reckon it will be sometime in 2030 before I can get back to you on that one.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:53 - Feb 27 with 4704 viewsPJH

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:42 - Feb 27 by WeWereZombies

I seem to recall something about Alex Ferguson in 'An Englishman Abroad' but it might just have been about Ferguson being the best club manager for releasing players for England duty when Sir Bob was the national manager. I could check but I lent my copy to my brother (and for him to then pass on to my other brother). I reckon it will be sometime in 2030 before I can get back to you on that one.

It so happens that I have a copy of that book-not your copy via your brothers-and I have just checked all references to Alex Ferguson from the index at the back and there is nothing relating to him possibly taking over at Portman Road. The point about him releasing players for England is there though.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:55 - Feb 27 with 4696 viewsWeWereZombies

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:53 - Feb 27 by PJH

It so happens that I have a copy of that book-not your copy via your brothers-and I have just checked all references to Alex Ferguson from the index at the back and there is nothing relating to him possibly taking over at Portman Road. The point about him releasing players for England is there though.

I thought you might have a copy...

Comes to something, doesn't it, when all the English club managers put their club first and its a Scotsman who does what's best for England.

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 16:55 - Feb 27 with 4696 viewsMercian

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 17:20 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

Appointed Sir Alex Ferguson when Sir Bobby took the England job.

This.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:28 - Feb 27 with 4668 viewscarlo88

Around August 1950, Mr and Mrs Jankovic decided not to have sex that night, and a certain Bosko was never born. Nothing against him personally, sure he's a lovely fella, but he ruined this particular Town fan's teenage years irreparably.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 20:35 - Feb 27 with 4640 viewsjaykay

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:28 - Feb 27 by carlo88

Around August 1950, Mr and Mrs Jankovic decided not to have sex that night, and a certain Bosko was never born. Nothing against him personally, sure he's a lovely fella, but he ruined this particular Town fan's teenage years irreparably.

ahem my post a certain j fashanu didnt play on 20th april 1981
that was the match which hurt the most that year

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 08:31 - Feb 28 with 4598 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Losing the 2005 play off 2nd leg to West Ham. Always thought we would have beaten Derby in the final and we'd of hit the Premier League just as the big money came in.

We would have avoided having to sell to Evans, and would have has a real opportunity with Royle to consolidate our position

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 09:41 - Feb 28 with 4576 viewsitfcjoe

Beat Wigan away in March 2005 and everything else stays the same so we beat them to promotion

Keep Richard Wright for our second season in the PL or sign Mart Poom early

Appoint an experienced old head like McCarthy when we appointed Roy Keane to not waste Evans' money

Beat Norwich in the play off 2nd leg in 14/15, Boro didn't turn up for the final (almost literally) and that would have massively changed things.

Or - stop Norwich sacking Bryan Gunn and apppointing Lambert in 2008, as without that they'd have been screwed!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 11:44 - Feb 28 with 4532 viewsKeaneish

Paul Gascoigne decides he loves Ipswich, moves his family here and signs the contract he rejected.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 11:50 - Feb 28 with 4527 viewsParisBlue

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 18:28 - Feb 27 by carlo88

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo%C5%BEo_Jankovi%C4%87

Died in 1993 at the young age of 42. Interesting that after that season he decided to become a lawyer. A shame he didn't decide that a year earlier!

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 12:42 - Feb 28 with 4512 viewsPJH

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 11:44 - Feb 28 by Keaneish

Paul Gascoigne decides he loves Ipswich, moves his family here and signs the contract he rejected.

Was he ever offered a contract?

I think he was here as a 15 year old or something but not sure if he was ever offered terms of any sort.
You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 12:53 - Feb 28 with 4504 viewspositivity

got sheepy to stand up to burley when he decided it was a good idea to rip up the 2001 team's togetherness in order to compete in the uefa cup.

keep scowie & ideally wright
steer well clear of sereni, finidi, marshall & le pen

no relegation, no administration, no evans, no keane, no jewell, no mick, no hurst, no lambert, no league one

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 13:45 - Feb 28 with 4481 viewsbaxterbasics

Home V Leicester, Feb 2005:

I'd wish that Dion Dublin hadn't landed his studs in Shefki's thigh. We were 5 points clear at the top and losing him for a month kickstarted our slide down into the playoffs, and the man himself never fully recovered his form before moving on.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 15:25 - Feb 28 with 4443 viewsWeWereZombies

You stumble across a magic lamp with a genie that can only grant football wishes on 11:44 - Feb 28 by Keaneish

That's a confident fourteen year old who moves his family half way across the country so that he can have a shot at getting in the youth team (whilst embarking on a strict diet).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024