Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... 10:22 - Mar 6 with 2273 viewsLovelyGeorge

I stopped going after one season of Keane, football bored me and I didn't enjoy it anymore. Have seen nothing since to entice me back.Before that I was a season ticket holder for 13 seasons and regularly travelled away too.

I remember when the club was relegated to the Championship and we all presumed it would be a matter of time before we were promoted back to the Premier League. Same presumption seemed to be made by many at the start of this season. Evans has been in charge of a slow and steady demise which shows no signs of stopping. We are more likely to get relegated to League Two than promoted if things continue as they are.

Evans has continually shown diabolical judgement on football matters, which is a bit of a drawback when you are the owner of a football club. I get those that say without his money the club would fold, and who is going to buy him out, but that does not mean he should be exempt from criticism. I think most would agree that his ownership has been disastrous and we would be better off with someone else at the helm, so why are there not more people voicing protests against him? Are the fans all too busy fighting amongst themselves, or just totally apathetic to the situation. You would be supporting the clubs best interests if you did all could to try and encourage him to sell up and move on?

As for Lambert, never can the club have had a manager that has got away with so much. No improvement in results last season, cleverly manipulating any blame from himself my his PR spin which most seem to fall for. This season has seen a collapse in results that no other manager would have survived with his job intact, other than at Ipswich, where he has been rewarded for it with an extension to his contract! And no other club would have seen the supporters stick with the team for as long as they have without some severe discontent and protest. A relegation to League One even seemed to be accepted?!

It is possible to support the team throughout the game and then make your feelings known at the end of it. I can't believe any supporters are happy with the current situation? I guess the usual thing is that I just get abuse for posting this and asking these questions, but genuinely cannot fathom why are there not and haven't there been more supporter unrest aimed at Lambert and Evans? Not the 'Ipswich way'? Complete disinterest and acceptance of the state the club is in? Some believe that Evans/Lambert are the right combination? Supporters too involved in their own daft arguments and back biting with each other? All of the above?

The club is dying on its backside, and most just seem to be accepting it? Like I said, I don't get it..............

Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:23 - Mar 6 with 1386 viewsOxford_Blue

“Evans has continually shown diabolical judgement on football matters”

Name examples which have significantly led to our current position and explain why please.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:25 - Mar 6 with 1362 viewsTheSelkirk

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:23 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

Name examples which have significantly led to our current position and explain why please.

Jeez, that sounds like an exam question ............
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:27 - Mar 6 with 1344 viewsjeera

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:23 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

Employing Lambert.

I would say Hurst but I was as mistakenly enthusiastic initially as the next idiot.

Oh, and Keane. The dreadful Keane.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:27 - Mar 6 with 1355 viewsSomethingBlue

I think the lack of any kind of structure between owner and manager that makes the club fit for purpose is a pretty big one!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:28 - Mar 6 with 1334 viewsLovelyGeorge

His judgement in his choice of managerial appointments.
His judgement as to when to back or not to back those managers with funds in the transfer market.
I would think?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:29 - Mar 6 with 1322 viewshomer_123

Ultimately he's the owner and therefore responsible for the Club.

He chooses to hire and fire managers and decides the framework within which they work. He cannot be blameless in our current situation - in the same way the Sheepshanks is responsible for where we are now, he did sanction the investment made by GB in terms of fees and wages - which then led to us going into administration.

As I have said all along - it is no single one thing. Evans and Lambert do not want us to fail but intent isn't good enough - no one at the club is delivering (or appears to be delivering) on the one thing we needed to do this year - gain promotion.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:30 - Mar 6 with 1309 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:27 - Mar 6 by jeera

Employing Lambert.

I would say Hurst but I was as mistakenly enthusiastic initially as the next idiot.

Oh, and Keane. The dreadful Keane.

So taking those examples - when they were appointed most fans weren’t expressing concern. Keane was a big name, had taken Sunderland up as champions and was given big money.

Lambert was again met with reasonable acceptance and most of the talk was about his Norwich connection. Fact is, those managers have let Evans down. You’re applying hindsight to those decisions.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:30 - Mar 6 with 1306 viewshomer_123

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:27 - Mar 6 by SomethingBlue

I think the lack of any kind of structure between owner and manager that makes the club fit for purpose is a pretty big one!

In short, we have forgotten what success looks and feels like. by homer_123 4 Mar 2020 8:15
Every single fiber of the Club feels jaded, tired and bereft of energy.

We no longer have a winning mentality. Of the players we have at the Club who, truly, has tasted and knows what success is like? You could argue Norwood from last season but he joined a Club that feels so stuck on a downward spiral that we suck the life out of players.

I don't believe it is the weight of expectation that players are struggling to handle at all - as I think we, the fans, have also lost belief that we can be successful.

Failure to gain promotion this season would merely further ingrain and possibly finalise what we've become, a shadow and husk of a once great little club. A club that produced good players and played football the right way.

On reflection I do not believe for one minute that Evans, Lambert, the players or anyone at the Club or us fans want us to fail - the lads don't go on the pitch with the intention of making mistakes or playing poorly but we have such a malaise at the club, such a downtrodden feel that permeates through every single aspect from the dire match day experience (food and drink) through to what we see on the pitch, that it drags people down.

I utterly understand the, sometimes, incandescent rage and frustration that people feel. Although even that appears to be ebbing away with more fans merely resigned to the fact that this is now Ipswich Town FC. For many fans and potential fans, this is all they have ever known.

Treading water was something we did under Mick, we are now doggy paddling our way to a slow watery grave.

What to do? Evans isn't going anywhere, who might buy us anyway? Lambert has a contract and we cannot afford wholesale changes on the personnel front. So, what CAN we change, what is within our remit as a club and as fans to actually drive some positive change.

Clarity - simple, clear clarity. What is the Club going to achieve, what is that timescale and broadly, how are we going to do that?

For all the talk of a 5 year plan - it wasn't clear, it wasn't something people truly got behind and it was never, ever clear how it was to be implemented.

Evans needs to set an extremely clear, unfettered, uncluttered aim for the Club. Detail down the 'what' we are to achieve. Lambert then needs to clarify the 'how' - as best he can with the resources Evans makes available (which, to be fair, has been decent this season). We then need to properly stick to it. No if's - no but's.

If the aim is promotion to the Championship within 3 seasons, with Evans bankrolling the Club and ensuring we have a top 6 budget, then Lambert (and we) are clear what's what. Lambert then needs to detail internally and externally how's he's going to achieve that - it maybe he feels that a balance of youth and experience is the best approach - it maybe he decides he needs to recruit more senior players to do it or he may decide he needs to use the loan system - but whatever it is - he needs to be clear and then stick to it.

At the moment, we are directionless and rudderless. We are a Club in freefall and without a simple, clear objective that the Club can get behind and believe in - we won't go forward.

Good leaders and good managers have a clarity of purpose and the belief and conviction to deliver. They communicate clearly what they are trying to achieve, they make it easy to understand for each team member to understand their role and how they contribute to the whole to deliver what is needed, they nurture grow and performance manage.

Clarity and purpose Town, clarity and purpose.

Evans is going nowhere and Lambert is unlikely to - so for us to move forward, they have to define what this Club is going to look like in the next 18 to 36 months and they need the conviction and backbone to deliver it. Recruit against that - ensure everyone is bought in and believe.

Your post was excellent the other day as well Something.

Login to get fewer ads

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:32 - Mar 6 with 1294 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Do you really need people to do this?

I can think of about 80 off the top of my head.

I can think of 10 from this season and at least 3 from this week!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:32 - Mar 6 with 1291 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:27 - Mar 6 by SomethingBlue

What’s your evidence that there isn’t any structure?

Evans speaks to the managers regularly and has appointed others to assist him.

Even if this was true, what is the evidence it has caused our current position? We were top a few months ago. The structure wasn’t a problem then. Nor when we were in the play offs.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:33 - Mar 6 with 1286 viewsitfcjoe

I don't get why someone can stop going after having a Season Ticket for 13 years and then still care 13 years later

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:34 - Mar 6 with 1268 viewshomer_123

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:32 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

What’s your evidence that there isn’t any structure?

Evans speaks to the managers regularly and has appointed others to assist him.

Even if this was true, what is the evidence it has caused our current position? We were top a few months ago. The structure wasn’t a problem then. Nor when we were in the play offs.

Evidence?

Evans was not around in his early tenure - he continues to appoint various people to run the Club - Clegg et al.

As that has continually failed, he now takes a more active role and that, continues to fail.

What more evidence do you need?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:35 - Mar 6 with 1263 viewsLovelyGeorge

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:33 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

I don't get why someone can stop going after having a Season Ticket for 13 years and then still care 13 years later

I guess you never stop being interested.
I don't care anything like I did when I was a season ticket holder, stopped caring a bit for the last few seasons when I had one tbh.
It's more curiosity, rather than caring really

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:36 - Mar 6 with 1252 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:28 - Mar 6 by LovelyGeorge

His judgement in his choice of managerial appointments.
His judgement as to when to back or not to back those managers with funds in the transfer market.
I would think?

The question is whether when those managers were appointed or dismissed it was reasonable. Any other judgment is based on hindsight.

Magilton - fans wanted to give him a chance, he was kept on and given money. Fans wanted him out , Evans sacked him.

Keane - a big name, with a budget to match and he had taken Sunderland up previously. When fans wanted him out, Evans sacked him.

Jewell - a steady hand when the club was in danger of relegation. He was also given money to spend. When that didn’t work out and the fans wanted him out, Evans sacked him.

MM - a good hire and did a lot. Fans fell out with him.

Hurst - fans wanted a young manager to be given time from the lower leagues. Evans appointed him.

Lambert - has experience of getting Norwich up.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:37 - Mar 6 with 1242 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:38 - Mar 6 with 1234 viewsjeera

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:30 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

So taking those examples - when they were appointed most fans weren’t expressing concern. Keane was a big name, had taken Sunderland up as champions and was given big money.

Lambert was again met with reasonable acceptance and most of the talk was about his Norwich connection. Fact is, those managers have let Evans down. You’re applying hindsight to those decisions.

I'm not applying anything of the sort.

I wasn't on board with Keane in the slightest and was very meh about PL.

Agree entirely with the point about general excitement over Keane though, (it was embarrassing), and the acceptance of PL.

Said the same myself several times.

Edit: But the point being made of Evans not showing a real connection with the club, nor bringing in people with a specific aim to run the club, when it so clearly needs attention from top to bottom, is solely on him.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 10:40]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:38 - Mar 6 with 1237 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:34 - Mar 6 by homer_123

Evidence?

Evans was not around in his early tenure - he continues to appoint various people to run the Club - Clegg et al.

As that has continually failed, he now takes a more active role and that, continues to fail.

What more evidence do you need?

But now you’re arguing against yourself. If you think Evans isn’t a football man and has little experience in football then why would you blame him for not being hands on? Also, you are now agreeing there is structure, it’s just not a structure you like.

You still haven’t demonstrated why an alleged lack of structure caused relegation when in the same time the club challenged for the play offs, was mid table championship, and was top of the league only a few weeks ago.

The cause of our troubles is poor performance on the pitch. That’s down to the players and the managers.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:38 - Mar 6 with 1236 viewshomer_123

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:36 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

The question is whether when those managers were appointed or dismissed it was reasonable. Any other judgment is based on hindsight.

Magilton - fans wanted to give him a chance, he was kept on and given money. Fans wanted him out , Evans sacked him.

Keane - a big name, with a budget to match and he had taken Sunderland up previously. When fans wanted him out, Evans sacked him.

Jewell - a steady hand when the club was in danger of relegation. He was also given money to spend. When that didn’t work out and the fans wanted him out, Evans sacked him.

Hurst - fans wanted a young manager to be given time from the lower leagues. Evans appointed him.

An interesting observation....

'fans wanted him out' - if he genuinely making said decisions on the basis of us fans, then he really shouldn't be leading the club.

You've just provided your own evidence for him not being our owner!

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:39 - Mar 6 with 1231 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:32 - Mar 6 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Do you really need people to do this?

I can think of about 80 off the top of my head.

I can think of 10 from this season and at least 3 from this week!

I’m all ears.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:40 - Mar 6 with 1226 viewsHarry_Palmer

Good God, do you seriously need somebody to justify that statement by providing examples?

It would be easier to list the decisions he has got right during his time here. In fact i'll give the you the list now.

1) Appointing Mick McCarthy

The End.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 10:53]
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:41 - Mar 6 with 1215 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:38 - Mar 6 by homer_123

An interesting observation....

'fans wanted him out' - if he genuinely making said decisions on the basis of us fans, then he really shouldn't be leading the club.

You've just provided your own evidence for him not being our owner!

Hardly. It shows that he listens and is aware of what the fans want as any decent owner shouldn. Clearly he doesn’t make decisions purely based on popular opinion. Unless you’re suggesting the fans don’t know what they’re doing and should never be listened to in which case I throw that one back to you.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:41 - Mar 6 with 1212 viewshomer_123

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:38 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

But now you’re arguing against yourself. If you think Evans isn’t a football man and has little experience in football then why would you blame him for not being hands on? Also, you are now agreeing there is structure, it’s just not a structure you like.

You still haven’t demonstrated why an alleged lack of structure caused relegation when in the same time the club challenged for the play offs, was mid table championship, and was top of the league only a few weeks ago.

The cause of our troubles is poor performance on the pitch. That’s down to the players and the managers.

See your own post above and my reply.

Let's boil it down - I don't disagree that we are not performing on the pitch and, therefore, the players and manager are indeed responsible for this. Here we agree.

Step back though and it is evident that we have no clarity on the direction of our club. As a leader and owner, we have a vauge 5 year plan that bears no resemblance to what we see on a day to day basis. Whatever structure we have is not geared towards delivering on our aims and objectives - we have zero clarity on direction and how we get there or are going to there or when.

This lies with Evans - irrespective of whether he's involved or not.

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:42 - Mar 6 with 1201 viewsLovelyGeorge

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:36 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

I'm not sure anybody said lets appoint Paul Jewell or Paul Lambert, he'll do really well. Or that he backed Magilton as he did Keane financially.
Was Keane ever going to be a good fit at ITFC?
And if he had backed MM when he should have done in the transfer market, it is much more likely that promotion would have been achieved in the play off season.
Did he research the type of football that Hurst played to get his success in the lower leagues?

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:43 - Mar 6 with 1195 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:38 - Mar 6 by jeera

I'm not applying anything of the sort.

I wasn't on board with Keane in the slightest and was very meh about PL.

Agree entirely with the point about general excitement over Keane though, (it was embarrassing), and the acceptance of PL.

Said the same myself several times.

Edit: But the point being made of Evans not showing a real connection with the club, nor bringing in people with a specific aim to run the club, when it so clearly needs attention from top to bottom, is solely on him.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 10:40]

I agree there has been an issue about communication. But my point is that this hasn’t led to our demise. There is no causal link or at least no one can explain what it is.

The causal link is that the managers have failed and have built teams not good enough. Lambert in particular. He’s had support well above most teams in this league and is failing. That isn’t caused by a lack of communication between Evans and the fans.
Why are there not more protests? I don't get it........... on 10:45 - Mar 6 with 1184 viewsNotSure

It took less than 6 months for Evans to go from "young and upcoming manager" to "experienced, serial failure at his previous 3 clubs".

And it's doubtful that Hurst would have done worse if the was still here. Bottom of Championship, 9th League 1.

The owner hasn't got a clue, has made mistake after mistake and even backed the manager with a new contract at completely the wrong time.

But nobody can answer the question about what, we, as fans, can do about it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024