Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? 18:11 - Mar 13 with 6010 viewspositivity

europe is now the centre of the pandemic, doesn't seem to have taken hold in the southern hemisphere in the same way.

under-reporting or will it spread less effectively in summer?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:15 - Mar 13 with 3555 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sounds like wild speculation
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:15 - Mar 13 with 3561 viewscatch74

I’m just trying to get my head around the figures in Italy.
15000 cases, 1400 recovered, 1200 dead so far!!
I’m assuming there must be a lot of unreported cases - but that’s a huge % surely??

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:16 - Mar 13 with 3546 viewsGuthrum

Partly low rates of testing and under-reporting. Partly limited long-distance travel bringing infection back.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:19 - Mar 13 with 3525 viewsGuthrum

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:15 - Mar 13 by catch74

I’m assuming there must be a lot of unreported cases - but that’s a huge % surely??

Yes, but it also got into the healthcare system quite early, spreading through hospitals and putting medics out of action. Thus the system was quickly overwhelmed (and lots of already vulnerable people got it), which probably upped the death rate.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:53 - Mar 13 with 3429 viewsBloomBlue

With all these EU countries locking down I don't understand why the EU hasn't suspended free movement
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:58 - Mar 13 with 3408 viewsHerbivore

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:53 - Mar 13 by BloomBlue

With all these EU countries locking down I don't understand why the EU hasn't suspended free movement

Because, get this, EU countries can control their own borders in these kinds of situations. Imagine that!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 19:02 - Mar 13 with 3386 viewsjeera

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:58 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

Because, get this, EU countries can control their own borders in these kinds of situations. Imagine that!

That, and for countries such as ours that are outside of the Schengen, that right was never lost in the first place of course.

That's probably still news to Bloom and his fellows even after all this time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 19:05 - Mar 13 with 3371 viewsFtnfwest

Good old global warming, virus will be decimated by the end of June
Login to get fewer ads

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 20:23 - Mar 13 with 3235 viewsBloomBlue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:58 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

I'm not talking about it from political or ideology sense I'm talking about it from saving people's lives, if all these EU countries believe locking down and stopping movement will reduce the spread and deaths doesnt it make sense for the EU to suspend free movement.
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 20:25 - Mar 13 with 3231 viewsLord_Lucan

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 20:23 - Mar 13 by BloomBlue

I'm not talking about it from political or ideology sense I'm talking about it from saving people's lives, if all these EU countries believe locking down and stopping movement will reduce the spread and deaths doesnt it make sense for the EU to suspend free movement.

To be fair Bloom, I am what might be described as a "Reluctant Remainer" but any EU country can close it's borders anyway can they not?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:00 - Mar 14 with 2892 viewsBluesquid

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 18:15 - Mar 13 by catch74

Yes but worth bearing in mind though is that in Italy in the winter of 2016/2017 it was estimated that there were over 24,000 deaths due to a flu epidemic.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:04 - Mar 14 with 2875 viewsStokieBlue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:00 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

Yes but worth bearing in mind though is that in Italy in the winter of 2016/2017 it was estimated that there were over 24,000 deaths due to a flu epidemic.

Can we stop it with the flu comparisons and whatabouterry. Virtually every expert you listen to or read says this is nothing like flu and far worse. The mass attention is to stop it taking hold like flu has.

That document cites 5,290,000 cases of flu. Given the mortality rate in Italy of Covid 19 that would be nearly 400,000 deaths.

So the constant comparisons are totally unhelpful and sow seeds of doubt. Everyone is trying to stop the infection rate being anything like what flu has.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:08 - Mar 14 with 2863 viewscatch74

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:00 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

It was more the % that seems concerning.
That was 24000 deaths from 5.2 million who contracted the disease.
If the same number caught Cornoavirus it would be 100’s of thousands of deaths.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:09 - Mar 14 with 2862 viewsBluesquid

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:04 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

Can we stop it with the flu comparisons and whatabouterry. Virtually every expert you listen to or read says this is nothing like flu and far worse. The mass attention is to stop it taking hold like flu has.

That document cites 5,290,000 cases of flu. Given the mortality rate in Italy of Covid 19 that would be nearly 400,000 deaths.

So the constant comparisons are totally unhelpful and sow seeds of doubt. Everyone is trying to stop the infection rate being anything like what flu has.

SB

Calm your tits.

How can 1,200 deaths vs 24,000 deaths be much worse?
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:15 - Mar 14 with 2833 viewsStokieBlue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:09 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

Calm your tits.

How can 1,200 deaths vs 24,000 deaths be much worse?

Why don't you try reading the actual post and then you might understand. It's not that difficult.

SB

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:16 - Mar 14 with 2827 viewsBluesquid

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:08 - Mar 14 by catch74

It was more the % that seems concerning.
That was 24000 deaths from 5.2 million who contracted the disease.
If the same number caught Cornoavirus it would be 100’s of thousands of deaths.

"If the same number caught Cornoavirus it would be 100’s of thousands of deaths."

Another thing to bear in mind is the high number of fragile very old subjects living in Italy.
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:17 - Mar 14 with 2823 viewsStokieBlue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:16 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

"If the same number caught Cornoavirus it would be 100’s of thousands of deaths."

Another thing to bear in mind is the high number of fragile very old subjects living in Italy.

You are missing the point on purpose now.

In fact, what is your point apart from spreading doubt and playing down the outbreak?

SB

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:19 - Mar 14 with 2811 viewsBLUEGOLD

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:16 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

The WHO best guess at the Covid mortality rate is 3.4%, so if 5.2 million get it that is about 180,000 dead v 24,000 for flu.

Covid may well infect more people as no one has immunity against it.

Have a think and then reply sensibly
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:21 - Mar 14 with 2788 viewsBluesquid

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:17 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

You are missing the point on purpose now.

In fact, what is your point apart from spreading doubt and playing down the outbreak?

SB

Fragile very old subjects living in Italy, what do you make of this Stokie?

"The mean age of those who died in Italy was 81 years and more than two-thirds of these patients had diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, or cancer, or were former smokers.

Of the patients who died, 42·2% were aged 80—89 years, 32·4% were aged 70—79 years, 8·4% were aged 60—69 years, and 2·8% were aged 50—59 years (those aged >90 years made up 14·1%)."
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:24 - Mar 14 with 2771 viewsJ2BLUE

Potentially daft question incoming...

I keep seeing random people/legit experts say that many more might have it but their symptoms might be so mild that they don't even know it. I appreciate that means it will spread further and will be particularly dangerous for the elderly and sick but for the general population would it not be a good thing if a significant percentage of cases are symptom free/very mild?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:24 - Mar 14 with 2767 viewsStokieBlue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:21 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

Fragile very old subjects living in Italy, what do you make of this Stokie?

"The mean age of those who died in Italy was 81 years and more than two-thirds of these patients had diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, or cancer, or were former smokers.

Of the patients who died, 42·2% were aged 80—89 years, 32·4% were aged 70—79 years, 8·4% were aged 60—69 years, and 2·8% were aged 50—59 years (those aged >90 years made up 14·1%)."

I think you are drawing unhelpful comparisons between Covid-19 and the flu. Why you insist on doing this I have no idea.

Furthermore I think you are not using the same baseline figure to produce relative death rates which is fundamentally wrong as pointed out by 3 other posters.

You haven't even said what these latest figures are in relation to - flu or Covid? Either way I still have no idea what your actual point is.

SB
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 14:27]

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:27 - Mar 14 with 2747 viewsNthsuffolkblue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:24 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

I think you are drawing unhelpful comparisons between Covid-19 and the flu. Why you insist on doing this I have no idea.

Furthermore I think you are not using the same baseline figure to produce relative death rates which is fundamentally wrong as pointed out by 3 other posters.

You haven't even said what these latest figures are in relation to - flu or Covid? Either way I still have no idea what your actual point is.

SB

If the experts thought it was that bad they would be taking drastic action such as shutting down infected areas and mass gatherings and …

oh.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:28 - Mar 14 with 2738 viewsBluesquid

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:24 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

SB

Sorry, i should have been clearer, the figures are regarding Covid -

[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 14:28]
possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:38 - Mar 14 with 2691 viewsStokieBlue

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:28 - Mar 14 by Bluesquid

Sorry, i should have been clearer, the figures are regarding Covid -

[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 14:28]

Thanks for clarifying but I still don't know what your point is?

We know Covid-19 is bad for certain cohorts, does that mean that we shouldn't worry about it if we aren't in those cohorts and let the others die?

Can you please spell out exactly what point you are trying to make?

SB

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:42 - Mar 14 with 2678 viewsBluesquid

possible coronavirus cause for optimism? on 14:38 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

Thanks for clarifying but I still don't know what your point is?

We know Covid-19 is bad for certain cohorts, does that mean that we shouldn't worry about it if we aren't in those cohorts and let the others die?

Can you please spell out exactly what point you are trying to make?

SB

Well here's an expert -

"If those numbers are quite large then actually the reported mortality rates could be very much over estimated."

2 minute mark -

[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 14:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024