Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vitamin D and Covid-19 09:31 - May 6 with 2793 viewsNotSure

Now my uneducated theory is that respiratory diseases are not as prevalent during the Summer. And apologies, my short form of writing appears to be winding a lot of people up. Again, I repeat, I am not a troll and I just have a theory regarding Covid-19.

But maybe it is because we get more Vitamin D during the summer.
And maybe the reason more BAME people are dieing is because they need 3 times more exposure to sunlight to get the same amount as Vitamin D as fair skinned people.

We should be taking Vitamin D supplements.
We should be allowing people to sit in the parks and beaches whilst maintaining social distancing.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561
https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-21211/v1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19063829

So by locking us in our houses are we making the situation worse?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:33 - May 6 with 1904 viewsfooters

Christ. Another day of this.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:36 - May 6 with 1897 viewsNewcyBlue

I think you’re on to something here.

May I suggest some serious research? Perhaps avoid posting here for some time, so you can concentrate your efforts to your research.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:38 - May 6 with 1877 viewsNotSure

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:36 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

May I suggest some serious research? Perhaps avoid posting here for some time, so you can concentrate your efforts to your research.

I'm currently furloughed, if the lockdown ends and I can go back to work then I will post less on this website.

Win Win
Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:40 - May 6 with 1872 viewsWeWereZombies

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:33 - May 6 by footers

Christ. Another day of this.

Indeed, we should have a thread on which Britpop band should reform to accommodate Morrissey instead.

OMG, a dazzling thought has just struck me - what if a band had two vocalists? And they were Liam Gallagher and Morrissey...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:41 - May 6 with 1854 viewsfooters

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:40 - May 6 by WeWereZombies

Indeed, we should have a thread on which Britpop band should reform to accommodate Morrissey instead.

OMG, a dazzling thought has just struck me - what if a band had two vocalists? And they were Liam Gallagher and Morrissey...

Replace Liam with Brett Anderson and you've got a deal.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:44 - May 6 with 1836 viewsWeWereZombies

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:41 - May 6 by footers

Replace Liam with Brett Anderson and you've got a deal.

OK. I did mention that the band was S Club Seven, didn't I?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:11 - May 6 with 1801 viewsGeoffSentence

There has been a notable change of tone from the government about this recently.

In one of the Downing Street Updates last week Jonathan Van-Tam was talking about the benefits of ventilation and virus dispersal, from being outside, on the infection rate.

I heard on R4 yesterday or today that the scottish government is considering advice to encourage people to go out more for the same reasons.

There have been various studies, as you have posted, suggesting that there is a link between vitamin d and reduced virulence of the disease.

Out here in the fields it is easy to do what you have suggested, getting out in the fresh air and keeping away from people is simple here. It's a bit more difficult in the cities, but they should definitely be opening up as much green space as possible so people can go out and still keep away from each other.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:19 - May 6 with 1765 viewslongtimefan

Under GP instruction I have been taking Vit D3 supplements over Autumn and Winter months for a few years. Apparently it's difficult to build good levels of Vit D from even a very healthy diet and the sun levels through these periods are generally not sufficient either. If you are looking to take Vit D supplements make sure they are Vit D3, many of the cheaper versions aren't. I've continued taking these through Spring this year and will continue to do so while we remain in lockdown.
Login to get fewer ads

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:22 - May 6 with 1746 viewsStokieBlue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:11 - May 6 by GeoffSentence

There has been a notable change of tone from the government about this recently.

In one of the Downing Street Updates last week Jonathan Van-Tam was talking about the benefits of ventilation and virus dispersal, from being outside, on the infection rate.

I heard on R4 yesterday or today that the scottish government is considering advice to encourage people to go out more for the same reasons.

There have been various studies, as you have posted, suggesting that there is a link between vitamin d and reduced virulence of the disease.

Out here in the fields it is easy to do what you have suggested, getting out in the fresh air and keeping away from people is simple here. It's a bit more difficult in the cities, but they should definitely be opening up as much green space as possible so people can go out and still keep away from each other.

The issue is that no matter how much vitamin D might help with regards to fighting C19 it's still better not to get it in the first place if possible.

Hence distancing rules need to be in place even if outside spaces are opened up more. He is against those and wants to have people over to his house.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I once went to see an Oasis tribute band, followed by...... on 10:25 - May 6 with 1730 viewsBloots

…..a Smiths tribute band.

They both had the same lead singer, he just changed his outfit and put on a different wig.

I think they were called Definitely MightBe and The Smythes.

True story.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:32 - May 6 with 1709 viewsDanTheMan

To be honest most people in the country should be taking Vitamin D supplements anyway. We don't get a lot of sunlight and now spend a lot of time indoors, I would have thought the mean levels across the country were fairly poor.

However, these results should still be taken with a pinch of salt.

The first one is looking at Indonesian people and even the abstract is a little vague:
"Results revealed that majority of the death cases were male and older and had pre-existing condition and below normal Vitamin D serum level"

Male, older, with pre-existing condition AND below average Vitamin D. That's quite a bit.

The second one is just doing country wide analysis of Vitamin D and deaths, which they acknowledge isn't that reliable. Also the study has not been peer reviewed, so big pinch of salt.

Third one, don't have a lot to go off but judging as we only have the abstract available. It does read like a preliminary study, but it's hard to tell what it's focusing on.

Not saying there is definitely no link, there might well be, but you'd need a lot more study to show how effective it is for the general population.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:41 - May 6 with 1689 viewsWeWereZombies

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:32 - May 6 by DanTheMan

To be honest most people in the country should be taking Vitamin D supplements anyway. We don't get a lot of sunlight and now spend a lot of time indoors, I would have thought the mean levels across the country were fairly poor.

However, these results should still be taken with a pinch of salt.

The first one is looking at Indonesian people and even the abstract is a little vague:
"Results revealed that majority of the death cases were male and older and had pre-existing condition and below normal Vitamin D serum level"

Male, older, with pre-existing condition AND below average Vitamin D. That's quite a bit.

The second one is just doing country wide analysis of Vitamin D and deaths, which they acknowledge isn't that reliable. Also the study has not been peer reviewed, so big pinch of salt.

Third one, don't have a lot to go off but judging as we only have the abstract available. It does read like a preliminary study, but it's hard to tell what it's focusing on.

Not saying there is definitely no link, there might well be, but you'd need a lot more study to show how effective it is for the general population.

Either Vitamin D supplements or we need to get out more when the sun does shine (which seems like all day every day at the moment) and exercise enough to stay healthy when we do.

I cannot remember where (it may even have been on this forum) but I read recently that our capacity to absorb and process Vitamin D decreases as we age.

Perhaps the pandemic will convince some that a healthier lifestyle is not only a good thing but probably a life saver when we come out of lock down, and don't forget that Vitamin C intake with an orange juice every morning either.

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:41 - May 6 with 1686 viewsfactual_blue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 09:36 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

I've identified the key words in his post for you.

'Uneducated', 'troll'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:42 - May 6 with 1685 viewsfactual_blue

How about Morrissey's best town XI?

No "foreigners" allowed obviously. (n/t) on 10:52 - May 6 with 1658 viewsBloots

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:42 - May 6 by factual_blue

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:53 - May 6 with 1659 viewsChutney

I thought this ages ago. A friend of mine (black) has recently launched a vitamin brand aimed at BAME who are deficient in Vit D. Can't quite remember the stat but a mad amount of BAME in the UK don't get the Vit D they need. He's launched a supplement, in pouches, that you drink. I tried one, they tasted a bit nasty but it's one of those where if you don't need them, they're likely to not taste great. Like iron supplements, if you're not deficient in iron they'll taste particularly metallic.

Ultimately whether it's the case with regards to Covid or not, having healthy levels of vitamin D can never be a bad thing and should be encouraged. Sunlight is great for the body and mind.
Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:55 - May 6 with 1641 viewsNewcyBlue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:41 - May 6 by factual_blue

I've identified the key words in his post for you.

'Uneducated', 'troll'

That's not very fair Facters. I'm educated to some extent.

As for trolling, the only trolling I've been doing is off the back of a boat.

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:59 - May 6 with 1621 viewsWeWereZombies

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:42 - May 6 by factual_blue

I suspect it would be too light on R&B for Kieron.

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:00 - May 6 with 1619 viewsfactual_blue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:55 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

I said 'his' post, not 'yours'.

I hope you're not trolling in the polari sense of the word, although that may well have been popular with the sea-faring fraternity.

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:11 - May 6 with 1597 viewsNewcyBlue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:00 - May 6 by factual_blue

I said 'his' post, not 'yours'.

I hope you're not trolling in the polari sense of the word, although that may well have been popular with the sea-faring fraternity.

Not only are you calling me an uneducated troll, but you're now accusing me of cruising for male company?!

Jesus facters, you've changed....

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:12 - May 6 with 1592 viewsWeWereZombies

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 10:55 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

I know it has become the forum habit to knock back 'Not Sure' as soon as he appears - 'Not Sure' is the new 'Fergal' according to Vogue and Vanity Fayre - but sometimes gormless ill informed questions produce the best answers. And I have a video to watch later now:

[edit] the previous video that wouldn't play was 'How to troll from a kayak', I also found one called 'How to set up a troll' which made me remember Blue Oyster...
[Post edited 6 May 2020 11:30]

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:12 - May 6 with 1591 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hmm. I bet it's the 5G masts not giving us a high enough dose of Vit D.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:14 - May 6 with 1585 viewsNewcyBlue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:12 - May 6 by WeWereZombies

I know it has become the forum habit to knock back 'Not Sure' as soon as he appears - 'Not Sure' is the new 'Fergal' according to Vogue and Vanity Fayre - but sometimes gormless ill informed questions produce the best answers. And I have a video to watch later now:

[edit] the previous video that wouldn't play was 'How to troll from a kayak', I also found one called 'How to set up a troll' which made me remember Blue Oyster...
[Post edited 6 May 2020 11:30]

"gormless ill informed questions produce the best answers" not when it ended up with me saying "I do"....

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:22 - May 6 with 1578 viewsfactual_blue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:12 - May 6 by Swansea_Blue

Hmm. I bet it's the 5G masts not giving us a high enough dose of Vit D.

From the NHS website section on vitamins

Coronavirus update

Consider taking 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

This is because you may not be getting enough vitamin D from sunlight if you’re indoors most of the day.

There have been some news reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus. However, there is no evidence that this is the case.

Do not buy more vitamin D than you need.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 12:13]

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:42 - May 6 with 1534 viewsfactual_blue

Vitamin D and Covid-19 on 11:11 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

Not only are you calling me an uneducated troll, but you're now accusing me of cruising for male company?!

Jesus facters, you've changed....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024