Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse 16:15 - Oct 3 with 1631 viewsMullet

All a bit too lightweight in the middle three and it’s costing us

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:15 - Oct 3 with 1404 viewsMullet

Bvgger and he should have been sent off right?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 16:17 - Oct 3 with 1384 viewsStenvict

Dozzell shouldn't be playing in the DM role, or if he does, needs someone with a bit of strength next to him to mop up. He's far too weak.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:17]

Poll: What will be announced first?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:17 - Oct 3 with 1379 viewsDublinBlue84

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:15 - Oct 3 by Mullet

Wrong thread
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:18]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:17 - Oct 3 with 1375 viewspointofblue

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:15 - Oct 3 by Mullet

Yep. I put this on Lambert; he should have brought Downes on at half time
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:19]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:24 - Oct 3 with 1303 viewsjudespiveyg

Would've thought Downes would be the one we were missing more in that regard, as he's stronger and a better tackler than Skuse, much better at breaking up play. At least he's on now.

Although he's already booked.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:26]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:27 - Oct 3 with 1261 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:24 - Oct 3 by judespiveyg

Would've thought Downes would be the one we were missing more in that regard, as he's stronger and a better tackler than Skuse, much better at breaking up play. At least he's on now.

Although he's already booked.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:26]

Not if you’re looking at shape at tactics rather than just hustle

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:32 - Oct 3 with 1245 viewsjudespiveyg

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:27 - Oct 3 by Mullet

Not if you’re looking at shape at tactics rather than just hustle

But Downes is just obviously a better player than Skuse at this point, I thought we were all pretty much agreed on that by now. Also you referred specifically to the midfield being lightweight which I assumed implies a lack of strength and tenacity, which Downes is the more obvious answer to.

Edit: now injured nevermind
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:34]

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:35 - Oct 3 with 1217 viewsBluefish

We miss Mick more though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 17:03 - Oct 3 with 1138 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:32 - Oct 3 by judespiveyg

But Downes is just obviously a better player than Skuse at this point, I thought we were all pretty much agreed on that by now. Also you referred specifically to the midfield being lightweight which I assumed implies a lack of strength and tenacity, which Downes is the more obvious answer to.

Edit: now injured nevermind
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:34]

But he doesn’t play in the way we are lacking today does he? Skuse organising in front of a back two who needed protecting and moving the ball out to pressure their wingbacks and pin them back changes the whole face of the game.

I thought it was fairly easy to see when I made the post let alone after we went down a man.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 17:05 - Oct 3 with 1129 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 16:35 - Oct 3 by Bluefish

We miss Mick more though

Well yes, being top of the Championship is far more likely with Mick than Lambert etc. But the people got what the people wanted Fishers. We’re far too far down this road now to think about that sort of level.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 17:16 - Oct 3 with 1099 viewsjudespiveyg

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 17:03 - Oct 3 by Mullet

But he doesn’t play in the way we are lacking today does he? Skuse organising in front of a back two who needed protecting and moving the ball out to pressure their wingbacks and pin them back changes the whole face of the game.

I thought it was fairly easy to see when I made the post let alone after we went down a man.

I wasn't even watching so I can't really say what the midfield needed. Merely making the point that Downes is a less 'lightweight' player than Skuse. Given that was the only observation made I'm not sure how all your talk about organisation should have been obvious to me.

To be honest though I'm probably biased about Skuse as I didn't particularly rate him in 2015 let alone now.

Disappointing about Downes though, with both him and Woolfenden out that leaves us without our two best players from last season (by some distance)

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 19:29 - Oct 3 with 1038 viewsRadlett_blue

We only miss Skuse in games when we are unable to keep the ball, so we have to repel wave after wave of attacks. The problem isn't the absence of Skuse, it's the inability to keep the ball.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:10 - Oct 4 with 891 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 19:29 - Oct 3 by Radlett_blue

We only miss Skuse in games when we are unable to keep the ball, so we have to repel wave after wave of attacks. The problem isn't the absence of Skuse, it's the inability to keep the ball.

That doesn’t really make any sense other than to say that we definitely missed him. If 5 players ahead of where he’d play can’t hold the ball or repel attacks then that’s exactly why we missed him. It’s what he does which helps remedy that.

It really showed that we need to evolve more ways of playing yesterday as we had very few crosses from the full backs as in previous games because we were pegged back so much and not able to deal with them.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:18 - Oct 4 with 874 viewsStokieBlue

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 16:17 - Oct 3 by Stenvict

Dozzell shouldn't be playing in the DM role, or if he does, needs someone with a bit of strength next to him to mop up. He's far too weak.

So where would you play him?

That is his position because he can dictate play, not so he can go around breaking up play - he needs someone else to do that for him.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:28 - Oct 4 with 857 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:18 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

So where would you play him?

That is his position because he can dictate play, not so he can go around breaking up play - he needs someone else to do that for him.

SB

In ideal world he’d not have played today and we’d have adjusted our gameplan or we’d have dropped Bishop and maybe one of the wingers to give us something better to combat a rather toothless MK.

That’s all hindsight obviously, but the “keep the shirt” mantra might have become a rod for Lambert’s back already judging by how this one turned out.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:32 - Oct 4 with 850 viewsStokieBlue

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:28 - Oct 4 by Mullet

In ideal world he’d not have played today and we’d have adjusted our gameplan or we’d have dropped Bishop and maybe one of the wingers to give us something better to combat a rather toothless MK.

That’s all hindsight obviously, but the “keep the shirt” mantra might have become a rod for Lambert’s back already judging by how this one turned out.

There would have been an immediate flurry of "Lambingo" posts if he had done that. People have been relentless in saying Dozzell needs to play a run in "his position" and now he doesn't?

I thought the idea was to not rotate too much, get everyone playing in an effective system and method and push on from there. Changing everything doesn't reach that goal and it's early days.

He can't win. There is very little consistency to the posting on here at the moment.

Bringing Judge on was weird though.

SB
[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 9:33]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:33 - Oct 4 with 848 viewsRadlett_blue

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:10 - Oct 4 by Mullet

That doesn’t really make any sense other than to say that we definitely missed him. If 5 players ahead of where he’d play can’t hold the ball or repel attacks then that’s exactly why we missed him. It’s what he does which helps remedy that.

It really showed that we need to evolve more ways of playing yesterday as we had very few crosses from the full backs as in previous games because we were pegged back so much and not able to deal with them.

Skuse was hugely important a few years ago, especially in away games in the Championship against good sides who would put us under pressure, especially with Mick's tactic of sitting back in such games. He's now well past his best & our squad should be good enough to have at least 50% of possession at this level. Hence, we shouldn't need an ageing holding midfield player. The idea that we might have been better off with a fit Skuse yesterday is more an indication of how poor we were, than that he would now regularly be an asset to the team, unless our aim this season is to pick up enough points to stay out of relegation trouble.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:36 - Oct 4 with 837 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:32 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

There would have been an immediate flurry of "Lambingo" posts if he had done that. People have been relentless in saying Dozzell needs to play a run in "his position" and now he doesn't?

I thought the idea was to not rotate too much, get everyone playing in an effective system and method and push on from there. Changing everything doesn't reach that goal and it's early days.

He can't win. There is very little consistency to the posting on here at the moment.

Bringing Judge on was weird though.

SB
[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 9:33]

Well yes there would, but then there’s the balance in reaction to what is effectively one or two changes at most needing to be balanced. People need to understand we’re playing 2 games a week most weeks and that was suddenly altered due to Charlton.

He can’t win but that is also a long term symptom of his reign thus far.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:36 - Oct 4 with 836 viewsChrisd

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:33 - Oct 4 by Radlett_blue

Skuse was hugely important a few years ago, especially in away games in the Championship against good sides who would put us under pressure, especially with Mick's tactic of sitting back in such games. He's now well past his best & our squad should be good enough to have at least 50% of possession at this level. Hence, we shouldn't need an ageing holding midfield player. The idea that we might have been better off with a fit Skuse yesterday is more an indication of how poor we were, than that he would now regularly be an asset to the team, unless our aim this season is to pick up enough points to stay out of relegation trouble.

My thoughts too, others need to be stepping up to the mark.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 9:37]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:36 - Oct 4 with 836 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse on 09:33 - Oct 4 by Radlett_blue

That’s exactly my point.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:38 - Oct 4 with 828 viewsBluefish

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:28 - Oct 4 by Mullet

If you take Bishop out we will create next to nothing, especially with Sears and Edwards. We are being too negative and hoping to catch breaks. Instead of worrying about trying to stop the opposition we should be taking the game to them. Bishop and Lankester must play.

Hawkins
Sears (but hopefully the new guy) Lankester
Bishop Downes (Nolan now anyway)
Dozzell

Harsh on Nolan maybe but Downes is out anyway. We can't just ignore the type of player needed and crowbar in others. Downes or Nolan and if Bishop can't play then probably Huws but it should have been el mizouni

Sears stays at the moment for work rate but he doesn't have anything to hurt the opposition in the way of speed, skill or size. I'd like the new guy to take that place or dobra to get a chance.

Judge is a tidy sub but needs to be a game that won't just bypass him. He struggles to hurt people because all he has is being tidy

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:40 - Oct 4 with 822 viewsMullet

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:38 - Oct 4 by Bluefish

If you take Bishop out we will create next to nothing, especially with Sears and Edwards. We are being too negative and hoping to catch breaks. Instead of worrying about trying to stop the opposition we should be taking the game to them. Bishop and Lankester must play.

Hawkins
Dozzell

Harsh on Nolan maybe but Downes is out anyway. We can't just ignore the type of player needed and crowbar in others. Downes or Nolan and if Bishop can't play then probably Huws but it should have been el mizouni

Sears stays at the moment for work rate but he doesn't have anything to hurt the opposition in the way of speed, skill or size. I'd like the new guy to take that place or dobra to get a chance.

Judge is a tidy sub but needs to be a game that won't just bypass him. He struggles to hurt people because all he has is being tidy

That assumes that creativity has to be eye catching. MK just ran and ran at us and it made chances. It also depends where you put that creativity for example had we gone with Lankester at some point today or started to move Judge centrally where he can hurt the opposition with his drifting and not our own full backs etc.

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:46 - Oct 4 with 804 viewsBluefish

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:40 - Oct 4 by Mullet

That assumes that creativity has to be eye catching. MK just ran and ran at us and it made chances. It also depends where you put that creativity for example had we gone with Lankester at some point today or started to move Judge centrally where he can hurt the opposition with his drifting and not our own full backs etc.

I just want the big enormous gap between the forward and our midfield to be closed, preferably by playing through it with passing or ball carrying. At the moment it is aimless punts to an isolated forward. He was winning flick ons with no one within 30 yards of him

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 10:01 - Oct 4 with 789 viewsDubtractor

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 09:38 - Oct 4 by Bluefish

Hawkins
Dozzell

Agree with all of this.

Dozell has to play, when fit, as he is the one that keep the ball moving in a progressive manner.

With different subs yesterday we could have turned the tide a little, notably Judge came on and was dreadful and completely messed our shape up. Obviously injuries dictated things a little.

And re the OP Mullet, Skuse a couple of years ago was crucial, but he looked shot last season and probably isn't the answer other than for seeing games out.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 11:03 - Oct 4 with 752 viewshampstead_blue

This is the sort of away game we miss Skuse (n/t) on 16:17 - Oct 3 by Stenvict

Agree.

He was pushed around a few times yesterday.
Having said that, he is wonderful on the ball. A lovely touch and confidence.

Get him on some serious barbell training over the next week or two.

Skuse would have been much better in the second half.
Bishop seemed out of the game by then.

My big blooper was brining on Judge for Sears! Why? Sears was doing really well. Judge is just a headless chicken at best.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024