Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Porkies by Lambert 09:37 - Dec 22 with 1995 viewsMrTown

'Incredible' numbers by Crewe Alexandra though.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 9:38]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Porkies by Lambert on 10:21 - Dec 22 with 1809 viewsChrisd

No, PL massaging the truth? I can’t believe it!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Porkies by Lambert on 11:03 - Dec 22 with 1673 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Home grown does not necessarily mean 'young'.

Teddy Bishop is home grown, but is 24 years old.

Downes is HG but has 80 senior appearances to his name.

What PL is saying, is that he is a very lucky guy to have a better academy at the club than the vast majority of League 1 clubs. Our investment must outstrip every other club.

...yet another competitive advantage he has over his rivals.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 11:05]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Porkies by Lambert on 11:14 - Dec 22 with 1607 viewsTieDyedIn95

Porkies by Lambert on 11:03 - Dec 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Home grown does not necessarily mean 'young'.

Teddy Bishop is home grown, but is 24 years old.

Downes is HG but has 80 senior appearances to his name.

What PL is saying, is that he is a very lucky guy to have a better academy at the club than the vast majority of League 1 clubs. Our investment must outstrip every other club.

...yet another competitive advantage he has over his rivals.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 11:05]

When was the last time it produced a regular PL player though, or even an England players? They released Pope who went on the be a class keeper and we got rid of Matt Clarke, who although on Brighton's books has never kicked a ball for them. Who else in the top flight was actually in our system? Mings, Cresswell, Webster and co were brought in from other clubs.

I can't for the life of me remember the last players we had come through to be Premier League regulars, or even England internationals. Dyer and Bramble? So 2 in nearly 20 years. Hardly the sign of one of the top academies is it. In fact how many Championship level players have we produced in the last decade, and how many of them are still playing at that level?

I think our youth system went to hell the second we got kicked out of the old Premier League reserves system back in 2005 or whenever that was, you can see a direct correlation between the quality coming through and that happening because losing such an excellent way of testing younger and fringe players like that must have been very detrimental to the overall process. As Ipswich supporters we have a very rose tinted view of our academy and its products but in real terms it's hardly producing regular top-tier quality products and if you look at those who have come through in recent years, if we were a top 6 Championship side how many of those players would even get a look in? Downes? Wolfie in a couple of years?

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Porkies by Lambert on 11:16 - Dec 22 with 1593 viewsEwan_Oozami

Porkies by Lambert on 11:14 - Dec 22 by TieDyedIn95

When was the last time it produced a regular PL player though, or even an England players? They released Pope who went on the be a class keeper and we got rid of Matt Clarke, who although on Brighton's books has never kicked a ball for them. Who else in the top flight was actually in our system? Mings, Cresswell, Webster and co were brought in from other clubs.

I can't for the life of me remember the last players we had come through to be Premier League regulars, or even England internationals. Dyer and Bramble? So 2 in nearly 20 years. Hardly the sign of one of the top academies is it. In fact how many Championship level players have we produced in the last decade, and how many of them are still playing at that level?

I think our youth system went to hell the second we got kicked out of the old Premier League reserves system back in 2005 or whenever that was, you can see a direct correlation between the quality coming through and that happening because losing such an excellent way of testing younger and fringe players like that must have been very detrimental to the overall process. As Ipswich supporters we have a very rose tinted view of our academy and its products but in real terms it's hardly producing regular top-tier quality products and if you look at those who have come through in recent years, if we were a top 6 Championship side how many of those players would even get a look in? Downes? Wolfie in a couple of years?

Darren Bent, Darren Ambrose, Owen Garvan?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Porkies by Lambert on 11:23 - Dec 22 with 1554 viewsTieDyedIn95

Porkies by Lambert on 11:16 - Dec 22 by Ewan_Oozami

Darren Bent, Darren Ambrose, Owen Garvan?

Darren Bent and Dean Ambrose came through close to 20 years ago now too, did Garven even kick a ball in the top flight for Palace? 2 games maybe? Yet he came through in 2005 no. It's hardly a great haul of great players like it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Porkies by Lambert on 11:33 - Dec 22 with 1493 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Porkies by Lambert on 11:14 - Dec 22 by TieDyedIn95

I don't think that's how L1, Cat 2 academies are generally judged!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Porkies by Lambert on 11:36 - Dec 22 with 1485 viewsFreddies_Ears

Desperation by the eadt... it was obviously a figure of speech that Lambert was using.
Porkies by Lambert on 11:46 - Dec 22 with 1414 viewsBrianTablet

Porkies by Lambert on 10:21 - Dec 22 by Chrisd

No, PL massaging the truth? I can’t believe it!

And after that massage, the Truth is now out for four weeks with a strain.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Login to get fewer ads

Porkies by Lambert on 11:46 - Dec 22 with 1415 viewsMrTown

Porkies by Lambert on 11:36 - Dec 22 by Freddies_Ears

Desperation by the eadt... it was obviously a figure of speech that Lambert was using.

I think in truth it's more PR crap to try and give out more 'positives' that are happening at the club, hence it was followed with the club's 'Youth Opportunities' article.

He said other clubs in top 6 have only given 2% game time to homegrown players. That isn't a figure of speech, that is just not true.

Hence EADT - "fact-checked" it, and this shows why they did so, because it was BS.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 11:48]

Porkies by Lambert on 12:25 - Dec 22 with 1308 viewsPinewoodblue

Porkies by Lambert on 11:46 - Dec 22 by MrTown

I think in truth it's more PR crap to try and give out more 'positives' that are happening at the club, hence it was followed with the club's 'Youth Opportunities' article.

He said other clubs in top 6 have only given 2% game time to homegrown players. That isn't a figure of speech, that is just not true.

Hence EADT - "fact-checked" it, and this shows why they did so, because it was BS.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 11:48]

There are plenty of positives if you look outside of the first team. U18’s top of their league with two games in hand on the team in second place, still in the FA youth cup. U23’s second in their league. Women top of their league yet to drop a point this season and still in the WFA cup.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Porkies by Lambert on 12:31 - Dec 22 with 1278 viewsMrTown

Porkies by Lambert on 12:25 - Dec 22 by Pinewoodblue

There are plenty of positives if you look outside of the first team. U18’s top of their league with two games in hand on the team in second place, still in the FA youth cup. U23’s second in their league. Women top of their league yet to drop a point this season and still in the WFA cup.

They are positives, but I think most fans will agree the most important thing at the football club is the first team.

Porkies by Lambert on 12:34 - Dec 22 with 1266 viewsitfcjoe

Porkies by Lambert on 11:36 - Dec 22 by Freddies_Ears

It wasn't a figure of speech though, and there was a deliberate(?) conflation between using young players, and home grown players - and also compares us to clubs who have in the main got Category 3 and 4 academies, which means they don't run an u23s team.

We currently have 51 players on the books who are too old for the U18s, of which 26 have come through the academy - I can't be bothered to dig around other clubs but I'd guess a huge number in this division only have 25 or 26 pros full stop.

Lambert said “We’re the team in the division who have had 26% of young players playing. Everyone else is two per cent.” no doubt a response when it was said we have the oldest team in the division.

Is Teddy Bishop at 24 a young player? There is a huge difference between being a young player, and being an academy product.

The use of academy products is clearly a good thing, but even here it talks about young players, and throwing the young ones in. Academy graduate does not equal young player.
https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/december/ipswich-lead-homegrown-appearances/

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Porkies by Lambert on 13:21 - Dec 22 with 1115 viewsChrisd

Porkies by Lambert on 11:46 - Dec 22 by BrianTablet

And after that massage, the Truth is now out for four weeks with a strain.

I reckon it will be for longer with our track record on injuries.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 13:26]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024