Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School standards much higher than in my day 17:04 - Jul 14 with 2482 viewsgiant_stow

The littleum's report for the year just came: Attendance and Punctuality at 94.91% (or 6 days missed in a year) is rated as 2nd lowest 'room for improvement'. Bollox to that. In my day, that would have been A* stuff.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

School standards much higher than in my day on 17:14 - Jul 14 with 2136 viewsfabian_illness

My youngest is at high school.
We get positive and negative marks for the week sent through on a Friday.
3 negatives last week, 1 for talking in class, one for missing some homework and the third for taking his jumper off without asking permission.
I don’t need to know these things!
School standards much higher than in my day on 17:24 - Jul 14 with 2091 viewsgiant_stow

School standards much higher than in my day on 17:14 - Jul 14 by fabian_illness

3 negatives last week, 1 for talking in class, one for missing some homework and the third for taking his jumper off without asking permission.

wow, even tougher and no, you don't need to know that. blimey.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

School standards much higher than in my day on 17:31 - Jul 14 with 2076 viewshype313

Christ, a negative for taking jumper off? I only got a 90's equivalent of a Neutral for putting blue dye in the water system.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

School standards much higher than in my day on 17:34 - Jul 14 with 2059 viewsMattinLondon

A negative for taking off his jumper - that teacher must be really pathetic.
School standards much higher than in my day on 09:53 - Jul 15 with 1896 viewsSaleAway

Why in name of **** should you have to ask to take a jumper off... in high school?

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:14 - Jul 15 with 1853 viewsMattinLondon

School standards much higher than in my day on 09:53 - Jul 15 by SaleAway

Why in name of **** should you have to ask to take a jumper off... in high school?

I think a lot of schools are paranoid about their ‘brand’ and think that enforcing dress codes sets the right image. But it’s just pathetic.

A lot of sixth forms are now trying to enforce a business smart dress code stating that it’ll give their students experience of how to dress in the work place - forgetting about the fact that most will go to university with no dress code whatsoever.

We as a country seem to be more concerned with image than actual substance.
School standards much higher than in my day on 10:35 - Jul 15 with 1837 viewsSteve_M

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:14 - Jul 15 by MattinLondon

I think a lot of schools are paranoid about their ‘brand’ and think that enforcing dress codes sets the right image. But it’s just pathetic.

A lot of sixth forms are now trying to enforce a business smart dress code stating that it’ll give their students experience of how to dress in the work place - forgetting about the fact that most will go to university with no dress code whatsoever.

I would have hated the jumper rule at school, always wore a shirt and tie but too warm to wear a jumper inside most of the time.

Sixth form should definitely encourage people to wear whatever the hell they want, or at least not discourage it. Individual self-expression is important at that age and I say that as someone who work jeans and a t-shirt or jeans and a shirt pretty much every day at sixth form

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:40 - Jul 15 with 1827 viewsSaleAway

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:14 - Jul 15 by MattinLondon

I don't have a problem with uniforms or even dress codes... but if your school uniform is a certain shirt/t-shirt, and a jumper, then taking your jumper off doesn't change whether you're in uniform or not. To give someone a "negative" for this, is ridiculously petty, and like you say, seems to smack of style over substance.

Similarly business smart for 6th forms does allow an increased amount of expression, whilst still being "smart", especially if you're sharing school space with kids in uniform. Hard to police a uniform for some, if the so called role models of 6th form rock up in torn jeans and flip flops...

Login to get fewer ads

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:51 - Jul 15 with 1790 viewsMattinLondon

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:40 - Jul 15 by SaleAway

I don't have a problem with uniforms or even dress codes... but if your school uniform is a certain shirt/t-shirt, and a jumper, then taking your jumper off doesn't change whether you're in uniform or not. To give someone a "negative" for this, is ridiculously petty, and like you say, seems to smack of style over substance.

Similarly business smart for 6th forms does allow an increased amount of expression, whilst still being "smart", especially if you're sharing school space with kids in uniform. Hard to police a uniform for some, if the so called role models of 6th form rock up in torn jeans and flip flops...

To a point I have no issue with school uniforms - non branded white polo shirt and trousers which you can buy in Sainsburys etc works well especially for primary schools. But when a lot of schools insist on having their badge on the uniform simply up the costs.

I wore what I wanted to at 6th form - well within reason- and this never deflected me away from work etc.

I have no idea what you mean by ‘so-called role models’.
School standards much higher than in my day on 11:02 - Jul 15 with 1754 viewsSaleAway

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:51 - Jul 15 by MattinLondon

To a point I have no issue with school uniforms - non branded white polo shirt and trousers which you can buy in Sainsburys etc works well especially for primary schools. But when a lot of schools insist on having their badge on the uniform simply up the costs.

I wore what I wanted to at 6th form - well within reason- and this never deflected me away from work etc.

I have no idea what you mean by ‘so-called role models’.

Regarding role models. my point was that in many schools, they expect the 6th form to set an example to the kids below - with things like prefects, who take on minor levels of management responsibility etc etc... partially as a development thing for people. its hard for this to work if you've got a uniform policy for the younger kids, without having some sort of guidelines for the 6th form, otherwise they're seen as separate from the school, rather than part of it. that's all I was saying. ( I also don't necessarily agree with these policies, which is why i used " so called role models")

The whole concept of uniform isn't generally the individual effect, but that the school as a collective creates an identity, that can help draw kids in, and help push them further than perhaps they would as an individual.

I agree with you on logo branding issues though. My secondary school, the only thing they had was a school tie, and a blazer badge, but that could be removed and sewn onto a new blazer, as and when needed. Other than that, it was all standard clothes.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 11:03]

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:13 - Jul 15 with 1721 viewsKeno

what ever happened to the days where the punishment for talking in class was to have to dodge a low flying blackboard rubber!!

For our younger viewers a blackboard was one of these

Obviously I never had one thrown at me, but someone near me did
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 11:13]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:22 - Jul 15 with 1698 viewsIpswichKnight

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:13 - Jul 15 by Keno

what ever happened to the days where the punishment for talking in class was to have to dodge a low flying blackboard rubber!!

For our younger viewers a blackboard was one of these

Obviously I never had one thrown at me, but someone near me did
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 11:13]

It also helped you to learn to play short pitched bouncers in cricket see it late and get hit, see it early and just move your head and see it fly harmlessly by! I did once hook a piece of chalk flying my way for 4 using the 30cm ruler!
School standards much higher than in my day on 11:36 - Jul 15 with 1676 viewsKeno

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:22 - Jul 15 by IpswichKnight

It also helped you to learn to play short pitched bouncers in cricket see it late and get hit, see it early and just move your head and see it fly harmlessly by! I did once hook a piece of chalk flying my way for 4 using the 30cm ruler!

very impressive!!

One of my Norhgate classmates managed to catch one and throw back at the teacher who ducked out of the way only to be covered in chalk dust as it clattered into the blackboard behind him

None of us laughed .......... honest

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:44 - Jul 15 with 1659 viewsEsseeja

School standards much higher than in my day on 09:53 - Jul 15 by SaleAway

At my high school, they were very strict on dress policy, (from a boys perspective). We weren't allowed long hair, we weren't allowed to change its colour, we weren't allowed to take any off our blazers and tank tops during spring winter and autumn, we were NEVER allowed to take off the tie unless the weather was stupid hot and we always had to keep our top button done up but sometimes the teachers would let that stay undone inside classrooms. It didn't even end there. I don't know what's worse for schools, getting beat up so you get sent home or taking your blazer off, or worse, needing a toilet during lessons. They always treated it as if you committed a war crime.
I still do not miss modern high school rules.
School standards much higher than in my day on 11:45 - Jul 15 with 1656 viewsBeckets

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:36 - Jul 15 by Keno

very impressive!!

One of my Norhgate classmates managed to catch one and throw back at the teacher who ducked out of the way only to be covered in chalk dust as it clattered into the blackboard behind him

Northgate and the flying board rubbers. Brings back memories!
School standards much higher than in my day on 11:47 - Jul 15 with 1650 viewsurbanblue

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:36 - Jul 15 by Keno

very impressive!!

Back in the day my mates and I put swan vestas in the Maths teachers board rubber. She couldn't understand the scraping noise whenever she wiped the blackboard. We spent the whole lesson on the edge of our seats.

Didn't learn a lot that day ...
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 11:48]
School standards much higher than in my day on 11:50 - Jul 15 with 1634 viewsKeno

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:45 - Jul 15 by Beckets

Northgate and the flying board rubbers. Brings back memories!

Haha!! It was quite a common occurrence

I seem to remember Mr Hogan was quite adept at the art as well the one of older maths guys (Mr Gosling, but that name might be wrong) and my form master who name I cant remember but he was know as the Honey Monster because of a more than passing resemblance to a certain sugar puff advert character

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:53 - Jul 15 with 1621 viewsBeckets

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:50 - Jul 15 by Keno

Haha!! It was quite a common occurrence

I seem to remember Mr Hogan was quite adept at the art as well the one of older maths guys (Mr Gosling, but that name might be wrong) and my form master who name I cant remember but he was know as the Honey Monster because of a more than passing resemblance to a certain sugar puff advert character

I remember a Mr Gosling and I was there 1968-1975.
School standards much higher than in my day on 11:58 - Jul 15 with 1601 viewsKeno

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:53 - Jul 15 by Beckets

I remember a Mr Gosling and I was there 1968-1975.

I started there in 73

I had Mr Gosling for Maths and then a young teacher Mr Walton, who a few later I sat at a table next to Noble Romans.

My 'nervous Northgate twitch' is the thought of those long cross country runs on freezing cold February mornings!!
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 11:58]

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:59 - Jul 15 with 1596 viewsKeno

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:47 - Jul 15 by urbanblue

Back in the day my mates and I put swan vestas in the Maths teachers board rubber. She couldn't understand the scraping noise whenever she wiped the blackboard. We spent the whole lesson on the edge of our seats.

was there not a danger they would/could catch light?

School standards much higher than in my day on 12:02 - Jul 15 with 1584 viewsMerseyBlue

School standards much higher than in my day on 17:34 - Jul 14 by MattinLondon

A negative for taking off his jumper - that teacher must be really pathetic.

We weren't allowed to walk around the school without our blazers on. There were some very strange teachers who loved inforcing that rule on a hot day, and then plenty of others who used to encourage you to flout it.

They brought in an appearance card when I was finishing my first year at secondary school. You could get marks for having your tie too short, too button being undone, shirt untucked, no blazer etc. If you got 5 marks, you got a detention and a new card. Some of the teachers were proper dickheads about it, but fortunately the detention teacher thought it was ridiculous so used to sign you in, give you a new card, make a humorous comment and send you on your merry way without a blazer on. RIP Miss Laurent, a renegade hero.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

School standards much higher than in my day on 12:33 - Jul 15 with 1540 viewsurbanblue

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:59 - Jul 15 by Keno

was there not a danger they would/could catch light?

That was the idea ...

... different times eh!
School standards much higher than in my day on 12:37 - Jul 15 with 1520 viewsKeno

School standards much higher than in my day on 12:33 - Jul 15 by urbanblue

That was the idea ...

... different times eh!

brilliant!!!

I dont think it was as planned as that but we managed to cause a fire in a chemistry classroom one lesson.

It was only a very small fire which didn't really need about 10 of us finding extinguishers to put it out with, but better safe than sorry!!

School standards much higher than in my day on 12:41 - Jul 15 with 1506 viewsPlums

School standards much higher than in my day on 11:47 - Jul 15 by urbanblue

We used to stick Prit sticks to the ceiling (if you know what you’re doing you can throw them vertically), they would then periodically drop on the unsuspecting kids below during the following lessons.

You’d probably be excluded for that now - especially as glue sticks are like gold dust in schools thanks to budget cuts.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

School standards much higher than in my day on 12:43 - Jul 15 with 1497 viewsleitrimblue

School standards much higher than in my day on 10:40 - Jul 15 by SaleAway

Long hair, torn jeans and flip flops is the look I'm expecting from my employees on there first day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024