Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid-19 is so very far from over 12:41 - Sep 9 with 2572 viewsWeWereZombies

Just had my occasional squint at Johns Hopkins University's worldometer and shocked to see that the United Kingdom is now fourth in the cases to date table:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Whilst I appreciate that our vaccination programme has given us a resilience I can't help feeling that post viral fatigue and other long term complications are going to hit us hard in the coming years.

[edit] yet again I thought I had typed out a 'the' and it came out as 'teh'
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 13:46]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:44 - Sep 9 with 1952 viewschicoazul

I keep seeing people saying this isn’t over look at this graph etc
What I don’t see is people saying this is over

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:46 - Sep 9 with 1927 viewsmarchy

Pretty alarming spike in the death count in recent days.
Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:48 - Sep 9 with 1912 viewsMookamoo

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:44 - Sep 9 by chicoazul

I see a lot of people acting like it is over.
Also worth pointing out that.... on 12:51 - Sep 9 with 1885 viewsBloots

...only the USA and India have tested more people than us.

We are 28th in cases per million despite our massive testing regime.

We are 24th in deaths (RIP) per million, despite our somewhat "generous" reporting criteria.

Balance innit.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Also worth pointing out that.... on 12:52 - Sep 9 with 1872 viewsKieran_Knows

Also worth pointing out that.... on 12:51 - Sep 9 by Bloots

We are 24th in deaths (RIP) per million, despite our somewhat "generous" reporting criteria.

Balance innit.

Why have balance when you can scaremonger people?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:54 - Sep 9 with 1857 viewsDigger77

Is there a clear breakdown of cases of those double jabbed vs no jabs?
Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:55 - Sep 9 with 1833 viewsJ2BLUE

Exactly.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:59 - Sep 9 with 1814 viewsWeWereZombies

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:54 - Sep 9 by Digger77

We need Cotty in this thread...

However, percentage of vaccinations by country can be found here:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Login to get fewer ads

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:59 - Sep 9 with 1798 viewsDigger77

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:59 - Sep 9 by WeWereZombies

We need Cotty in this thread...

However, percentage of vaccinations by country can be found here:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

So that's a 'no' then. Interesting.
Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:02 - Sep 9 with 1767 viewsEwan_Oozami

Many people's behaviours demonstrate they think it's all over

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:05 - Sep 9 with 1747 viewsBlueBadger

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:54 - Sep 9 by Digger77

Anecdotally, the vast majority of those I've been seeing are unjabbed.

Those we have seen who've been double jabbed and hospitalised are those who were vaccinated earliest and are therefore a) the most clinically vulnerable and b) likely have a lower antibody count in lune with what we've been seeing in the months post vaccination.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 13:08]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:11 - Sep 9 with 1693 viewsWeWereZombies

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 12:59 - Sep 9 by Digger77

So that's a 'no' then. Interesting.

Worth pointing out that Russia has comparatively poor vaccination rates but we have just moved a place above them in the cases to date numbers - despite their population being more than double ours.

There again they have more space than we do, and a much more authoritarian regime. Begs the, no so quite disinterested philosophical question nowadays, should we be more compliant on Covid-19 measures such as FACTS (face mask, avoid crowded places, clean hands, Two metre distance, self isolate if necessary) to ensure that we do not start on the slippery slope to totalitarianism?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:15 - Sep 9 with 1653 viewslongtimefan

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:11 - Sep 9 by WeWereZombies

Worth pointing out that Russia has comparatively poor vaccination rates but we have just moved a place above them in the cases to date numbers - despite their population being more than double ours.

There again they have more space than we do, and a much more authoritarian regime. Begs the, no so quite disinterested philosophical question nowadays, should we be more compliant on Covid-19 measures such as FACTS (face mask, avoid crowded places, clean hands, Two metre distance, self isolate if necessary) to ensure that we do not start on the slippery slope to totalitarianism?

Didn’t a Russian Minister admit there numbers were about a third of reality?
Also worth pointing out that.... on 13:18 - Sep 9 with 1633 viewsWeWereZombies

Also worth pointing out that.... on 12:51 - Sep 9 by Bloots

Balance innit.

The USA and India may have, indeed, carried out more tests but as a percentage of population both nations are a bit limp in their efforts. The United Kingdom does rate a creditable tenth in the table in that respect but pales in comparison to Denmark who appear to have test their population fourteen times over. Almost certainly not the case though as health professionals and other at risk occupations may get tested weekly and other sectors not at all. The way in which tests are performed and used is critical, whether those tests are almost conclusive PCR or merely indicative lateral flow is an important element to the statistics too but not one that is easily found.

If you don't test people..... on 13:18 - Sep 9 with 1625 viewsBloots

.....you don't find cases.

Russia have a testing rate about 70% lower than ours.

We have conducted 100,000,000 more tests than them and only found 10,000 more cases.

Balance.

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:19 - Sep 9 with 1613 viewschicoazul

Russia lol
Why does anyone believe anything that comes out of that place

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:22 - Sep 9 with 1592 viewsDigger77

I'm sure the data from Russia is trustworthy.
Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:24 - Sep 9 with 1578 viewsWeWereZombies

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:15 - Sep 9 by longtimefan

Didn’t a Russian Minister admit there numbers were about a third of reality?

No idea, a quick Google has only shown up Russia admitting they had the third worst Covid death toll last November. They may just have purged any reference to unreliability from the internet...and the minister too...

China have had 95,0000 cases in total..... on 13:25 - Sep 9 with 1572 viewsBloots

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:19 - Sep 9 by chicoazul

Russia lol
Why does anyone believe anything that comes out of that place

.....and 4,500 deaths.

Yeah.

Right.

Course.

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:26 - Sep 9 with 1564 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:05 - Sep 9 by BlueBadger

Anecdotally, the vast majority of those I've been seeing are unjabbed.

Those we have seen who've been double jabbed and hospitalised are those who were vaccinated earliest and are therefore a) the most clinically vulnerable and b) likely have a lower antibody count in lune with what we've been seeing in the months post vaccination.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 13:08]

This would suggest that booster jabs should be a matter of urgency for those groups then.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:28 - Sep 9 with 1547 viewsBlueBadger

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:26 - Sep 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

This would suggest that booster jabs should be a matter of urgency for those groups then.

Undoubtedly. With frontline staff next on the list. 'Pings' and contacts are deciating staffing right now, last thing we need is increasingly vulnerable-to-infection staff wandering around everywhere into the mix.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:30 - Sep 9 with 1528 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:28 - Sep 9 by BlueBadger

Undoubtedly. With frontline staff next on the list. 'Pings' and contacts are deciating staffing right now, last thing we need is increasingly vulnerable-to-infection staff wandering around everywhere into the mix.

Have you had any information when booster jabs will be administered yet badger?

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:33 - Sep 9 with 1492 viewsBlueBadger

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:30 - Sep 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

Have you had any information when booster jabs will be administered yet badger?

Not a sausage.

Decision due today, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/08/covid-vaccine-boosters-go-ahead-wi

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:39 - Sep 9 with 1442 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Covid-19 is so very far from over on 13:33 - Sep 9 by BlueBadger

Not a sausage.

Decision due today, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/08/covid-vaccine-boosters-go-ahead-wi

Thanks.

If you don't test people..... on 13:45 - Sep 9 with 1396 viewsWeWereZombies

If you don't test people..... on 13:18 - Sep 9 by Bloots

.....you don't find cases.

Russia have a testing rate about 70% lower than ours.

We have conducted 100,000,000 more tests than them and only found 10,000 more cases.

Balance.

Yes, thank you Bloots, balance...and not clamping our hands over our ears and singing 'la la la' all the time, even if we do precede it with 'North Stand'...

Further to digger's query about Russia admitting their data was under reported I did find an Al-Jazeera story on that which linked Russian officials admitting that excess deaths were three rimes higher last year. We don't know how much that was due to Covid though, when I found an 'Our World in Data' resource to show excess deaths between 2019 and 2020 it did show, from the countries I selected, Russia highest but Scotland second. I remember a news story a few months back that attributed Scotland's excess deaths to a relapse in the progress made in the last decade or so in tackling alcohol and illegal drug and abuse, i.e. the excess deaths that were not down to Covid could be explained by heroin overdoses etc. Russia is not immune from similar, and then there are opponents to the regime who suffer direct extermination and indirect perishing by attrition...allegedly...

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Useful as 'our world in data' is I was disappointed that no excess death numbers were available for India, I recall Stokie finding something on India having over four million excess deaths last year shortly before the Stokie_Blue train left the TWTD station. Not that I want to become a Stokie tribue act...

WWZ

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024