Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. 18:19 - Sep 27 with 1083 viewsMattinLondon

Today I had two random but very mildly interesting thoughts pop into my head.

1. Before glass and mirrors became common place, did people go for large amounts of time not knowing what they actually looked like?

2. Before football become what it is today did and was basically simply kicking a round object in a field. Were there any supremely gifted footballers who thought to themselves ‘if only money could be made kicking and controlling this pigs bladder. I can do anything with it’.

Anyone else have any Radom but interesting thoughts?
Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:24 - Sep 27 with 1039 viewsbluelagos

For number one, they could look in puddles :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:30 - Sep 27 with 1022 viewsMattinLondon

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:24 - Sep 27 by bluelagos

For number one, they could look in puddles :-)

Depends on how clear the puddle is.
Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:44 - Sep 27 with 995 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

A shower thought this morning, you can't stand backwards on stairs.
Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 20:22 - Sep 27 with 915 viewsGuthrum

Mirrors were around long before modern float glass. This one is 2,000 to 3,000 years old. But only the wealthy would have had them. Most people wouldn't have seen their own face very often - and probably didn't think it was important to do so.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 20:27 - Sep 27 with 894 viewsWeWereZombies

On 2. - a lot of games were not played in fields but through the town i.e. mainly on roads. I suspect that when players did speculate on how to make money out of the game they kept quiet as the struggle between uppies (kicking and so on up town) and downies (kicking in the opposite direction believe it or not) was mainly an excuse for a punch up, and anyone who tried to change the rules would get piled upon.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 20:34 - Sep 27 with 878 viewsKeno

In geography once we were discussing coastal erosion and Mr Underwood say that if a Roman solider found himself on the east coast now he would know where he was.

Someone at the back of the class put his hand up and asked 'Sir, is that cos the road signs arent in Latin now/"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 20:44 - Sep 27 with 836 viewsPendejo

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:30 - Sep 27 by MattinLondon

Depends on how clear the puddle is.

In Naaaarfuk, they just looked at the person next to them

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 21:21 - Sep 27 with 789 viewsHARRY10

Those iron age forts must have taken a huge amount of labour, and time to build

What were the folk they were meant to defend against doing while they were being built ?
Login to get fewer ads

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 21:56 - Sep 27 with 732 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 20:27 - Sep 27 by WeWereZombies

On 2. - a lot of games were not played in fields but through the town i.e. mainly on roads. I suspect that when players did speculate on how to make money out of the game they kept quiet as the struggle between uppies (kicking and so on up town) and downies (kicking in the opposite direction believe it or not) was mainly an excuse for a punch up, and anyone who tried to change the rules would get piled upon.

"uppies", "downies", "pile-ons", it all sounds strangely familiar.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 08:58 - Sep 28 with 571 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I did spend a few moments wondering what 'Radom' means.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 09:44 - Sep 28 with 535 viewsDavoIPB

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:44 - Sep 27 by WickhamsLeftBoot

During my any years of philosophizing and deep thinking I have never come across this one. Thank you I shall ponder on this one further.
Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 14:44 - Sep 28 with 440 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Random thought from Lady Dollers recently: "No-one ever plans for an evil baby."

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 14:49 - Sep 28 with 431 viewsKeno

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 14:44 - Sep 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Random thought from Lady Dollers recently: "No-one ever plans for an evil baby."

was she trying to tell you something and if so congratulations!!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 14:54 - Sep 28 with 425 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 18:44 - Sep 27 by WickhamsLeftBoot

And yet you can go up or down them backwards.

As well as puddles, any flat area of water would provide the reflection.

Of course the ancestors of players like Pele and Grealish would have thought like that for suggestion 2. Amazing it took them so long to persuade others to play.

And one final thought, what can go up a chimney down but can't go down a chimney up?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 14:56 - Sep 28 with 417 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Your most random yet interesting thoughts of the past couple of days. on 20:22 - Sep 27 by Guthrum

Mirrors were around long before modern float glass. This one is 2,000 to 3,000 years old. But only the wealthy would have had them. Most people wouldn't have seen their own face very often - and probably didn't think it was important to do so.

I guess they would have seen a glimpse is standing water but not have thought a lot of it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024