Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures 15:36 - Oct 8 with 3006 viewsBluefish

Staggered working from home
Masks in all areas
Windows open

Will we go back to a lockdown?

Seems silly to do these measures in schools but then everyone can freely mix the rest of the time

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:42 - Oct 8 with 2106 viewsCoastalblue

I don't think we'll go back into lockdown now unless we are being completely overwhelmed, I don't think the Govt will consider it with the financial implications unless the death toll looks like it's going to get extremely high.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:47 - Oct 8 with 2079 viewsBluefish

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:42 - Oct 8 by Coastalblue

I don't think we'll go back into lockdown now unless we are being completely overwhelmed, I don't think the Govt will consider it with the financial implications unless the death toll looks like it's going to get extremely high.

It really doesn't make sense to prioritise social activities over children's educations

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:53 - Oct 8 with 2056 viewsFixed_It

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:47 - Oct 8 by Bluefish

It really doesn't make sense to prioritise social activities over children's educations

Covid seems to be ripping its way through schools atm. Not sure it is quite so rife elsewhere, and with more people double-jabbed I think they will be reluctant to impose greater restrictions more widely.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 15:54]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:23 - Oct 8 with 1978 viewsMookamoo

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:47 - Oct 8 by Bluefish

It does when you need people of voting age to vote for you.
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:24 - Oct 8 with 1986 viewshomer_123

Same with ours.

The key measures will be hospitalisations and deaths - I can tell you of two Trusts up north that are currently struggling with numbers and it's getting worse.

That will dictate things.

I think a firebreak was talked about for half term but didn't come to anything?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:42 - Oct 8 with 1923 viewsElderGrizzly

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:24 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Same with ours.

The key measures will be hospitalisations and deaths - I can tell you of two Trusts up north that are currently struggling with numbers and it's getting worse.

The Government don’t care anymore. It’s over as far as they are concerned

Despite these numbers i put on the other thread saying they should probably care a bit more

[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 16:43]
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:45 - Oct 8 with 1901 viewshomer_123

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:42 - Oct 8 by ElderGrizzly

The Government don’t care anymore. It’s over as far as they are concerned

Despite these numbers i put on the other thread saying they should probably care a bit more

[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 16:43]

Did they ever care?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:50 - Oct 8 with 1874 viewsElderGrizzly

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:45 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Did they ever care?

Well no, but you know the optics of caring were there for a little bit
Login to get fewer ads

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:50 - Oct 8 with 1870 viewshomer_123

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:50 - Oct 8 by ElderGrizzly

Well no, but you know the optics of caring were there for a little bit

If it lined their pockets?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:57 - Oct 8 with 1863 viewsyesjohn99

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 15:42 - Oct 8 by Coastalblue

From the start of Covid in the UK until last week, I reckon I knew of 3-4 people to have contracted it. In the last week alone I know of no less than 15 people suffering with covid. Myself included.

Awful times
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:03 - Oct 8 with 1844 viewsStokieBlue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:45 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Did they ever care?

It's not just the government though, why don't a significant portion of the public care?

We are at a steady 100-200 deaths a day and have been for at least 6 weeks. The R is ~1 in the UK so we will probably continue at that rate for some time even with high vaccination levels.

That rate of mortality equates to ~50000 per year or looking at it another way, ~9% of the total UK deaths each year.

That is what everyone is accepting. We are accepting that 9% more people will die in the UK for this year and perhaps future years and there seems to be a collective will not to discuss these numbers in absolute terms. People are happy to discuss the 150 per day without looking at the wider context. This is of course before the important discussion highlighted by Badger with regards to people sick but not dying occupying a good portion of our NHS capacity.

We could of course change some of the dynamics of the above with a few relatively simple measures such as the reintroduction of masks in crowded areas, better education on how covid spreads (for instance, washing ones hands relentless makes virtually no difference whereas having a few windows open to get a draught will make a difference) and vaccinating older school kids (like many other Western countries).

All of the above doesn't even take into account the ~1m now apparently suffering from long covid. Another subject that the government and the public seem reluctant to discuss.

It doesn't have to be this way. Look at comparable countries in Europe where cases are lower because they have introduced measures which are unpopular here but have allowed them to continue on with pretty much the same level of openness as the UK.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:03 - Oct 8 with 1830 viewsIllinoisblue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:57 - Oct 8 by yesjohn99

From the start of Covid in the UK until last week, I reckon I knew of 3-4 people to have contracted it. In the last week alone I know of no less than 15 people suffering with covid. Myself included.

Awful times

What has caused this spread? Are people in the UK no longer bothering to wear masks?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:06 - Oct 8 with 1818 viewsyesjohn99

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:03 - Oct 8 by Illinoisblue

What has caused this spread? Are people in the UK no longer bothering to wear masks?

I reckon from what I’ve seen mask wearing is below 50% in supermarkets and around 5% under the north stand concourse.
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:07 - Oct 8 with 1808 viewshomer_123

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:03 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

It's not just the government though, why don't a significant portion of the public care?

We are at a steady 100-200 deaths a day and have been for at least 6 weeks. The R is ~1 in the UK so we will probably continue at that rate for some time even with high vaccination levels.

That rate of mortality equates to ~50000 per year or looking at it another way, ~9% of the total UK deaths each year.

That is what everyone is accepting. We are accepting that 9% more people will die in the UK for this year and perhaps future years and there seems to be a collective will not to discuss these numbers in absolute terms. People are happy to discuss the 150 per day without looking at the wider context. This is of course before the important discussion highlighted by Badger with regards to people sick but not dying occupying a good portion of our NHS capacity.

We could of course change some of the dynamics of the above with a few relatively simple measures such as the reintroduction of masks in crowded areas, better education on how covid spreads (for instance, washing ones hands relentless makes virtually no difference whereas having a few windows open to get a draught will make a difference) and vaccinating older school kids (like many other Western countries).

All of the above doesn't even take into account the ~1m now apparently suffering from long covid. Another subject that the government and the public seem reluctant to discuss.

It doesn't have to be this way. Look at comparable countries in Europe where cases are lower because they have introduced measures which are unpopular here but have allowed them to continue on with pretty much the same level of openness as the UK.

SB

Preaching to the converted SB (good to see you back).

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:16 - Oct 8 with 1782 viewsWhos_blue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:57 - Oct 8 by yesjohn99

Awful times

Very similar here.

I've been broadly supportive of the relative relaxation of the guidelines.
As a family of 4, we attended Latitude with no ill effects, but the virus is rushing through our local secondary school, seemingly completely out of control.
My daughter is now out of her isolation after testing positive, but the other 3 of us who have also tested positive are at various stages of our isolation. For people who haven't had it, definitely cross it off your to do list. It's bleedin' grim.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:32 - Oct 8 with 1746 viewsIllinoisblue

At my son’s middle school everyone is masked since they went back in late August. Except for lunch break, obviously. Few cases reported but nothing severe yet.

The school district is offering a virtual-only option but from what I’ve heard not many kids are doing that.

62 - 78 - 81

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:35 - Oct 8 with 1738 viewsIllinoisblue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:06 - Oct 8 by yesjohn99

I reckon from what I’ve seen mask wearing is below 50% in supermarkets and around 5% under the north stand concourse.

Interesting. I’d say it’s about 95% masks in supermarkets here with the only exception being Walmart which is full of disgusting ignorant filthy slobs. More like 50% in there, if that.

62 - 78 - 81

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:43 - Oct 8 with 1718 viewsChondzoresk

The school I work at in East Anglia is very meh about masks and other measures. The hierarchy seem very reactive rather than pro active. It does pee me off as I am one of the ones who deals with the possible and confirmed Covid cases directly, face to face, students sent to us without warning and us without any PPE on. Teachers are another breed, trust me there. Zero common sense, not listening to those on the front line. I stick up for the teachers no end, but after what I have endured and putting myself, my colleagues and family at high risk they can go and do one.
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 18:02 - Oct 8 with 1666 viewsChondzoresk

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:43 - Oct 8 by Chondzoresk

The school I work at in East Anglia is very meh about masks and other measures. The hierarchy seem very reactive rather than pro active. It does pee me off as I am one of the ones who deals with the possible and confirmed Covid cases directly, face to face, students sent to us without warning and us without any PPE on. Teachers are another breed, trust me there. Zero common sense, not listening to those on the front line. I stick up for the teachers no end, but after what I have endured and putting myself, my colleagues and family at high risk they can go and do one.

Sorry, I meant to make that high level teaching staff. Those that are on probably 80k per annum. Those lower down are decent people its those that ensconce themselves out of the way in their offices I have an issue with.
School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 19:13 - Oct 8 with 1573 viewsElderGrizzly

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 17:03 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

SB

Highest deaths per 100k in Europe.

Highest hospitalisation per 100k in Europe

It’s not great is it?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 19:28 - Oct 8 with 1550 viewsGlasgowBlue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 16:24 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Same with ours.

Firebreaks don’t work. Look what happened when Wales did that last year.

The choice is full lockdown or live with the virus? The economy can’t take another hit. We have a cancer crisis. Mental health issues in children is a powder keg.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 20:05 - Oct 8 with 1472 viewsBluefish

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 18:02 - Oct 8 by Chondzoresk

Sorry, I meant to make that high level teaching staff. Those that are on probably 80k per annum. Those lower down are decent people its those that ensconce themselves out of the way in their offices I have an issue with.

What is this nonsense?

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 20:05 - Oct 8 with 1474 viewsStokieBlue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 19:28 - Oct 8 by GlasgowBlue

Firebreaks don’t work. Look what happened when Wales did that last year.

The choice is full lockdown or live with the virus? The economy can’t take another hit. We have a cancer crisis. Mental health issues in children is a powder keg.

The trouble is unless you control the cases of C19 then the two health issues you've highlighted don't get any better. The hospitals are still crowded with C19 patients hence there still won't be capacity for other things and there are more children off school now than there was at any point outside of lockdown.

So we need to control the cases and thus we need to get back to regulated mask wearing as soon as possible and probably look at vaccine passports for a lot of things based on a tier system, much to many on the boards disgust.

Those measures are working on the continent whilst what we are doing here isn't working. Germany has a successful vaccine passport system and they have found:

"It has been found that the economic impact of barring unvaccinated citizens from certain sectors is far less than forcing a full-scale lockdown for all citizens."

This should be done and I don't really care what the board freedom merchants think about it. Those views have contributed heavily to the large number of cases and thus hospitalisations, deaths and long covid.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 20:19 - Oct 8 with 1427 viewsGlasgowBlue

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 20:05 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

The trouble is unless you control the cases of C19 then the two health issues you've highlighted don't get any better. The hospitals are still crowded with C19 patients hence there still won't be capacity for other things and there are more children off school now than there was at any point outside of lockdown.

So we need to control the cases and thus we need to get back to regulated mask wearing as soon as possible and probably look at vaccine passports for a lot of things based on a tier system, much to many on the boards disgust.

Those measures are working on the continent whilst what we are doing here isn't working. Germany has a successful vaccine passport system and they have found:

"It has been found that the economic impact of barring unvaccinated citizens from certain sectors is far less than forcing a full-scale lockdown for all citizens."

This should be done and I don't really care what the board freedom merchants think about it. Those views have contributed heavily to the large number of cases and thus hospitalisations, deaths and long covid.

SB

Only six months ago I was advocating mandatory vaccinations. But having seen clips of the police removing people from restaurants in Paris I’m now feeling very uncomfortable how this is going.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

School of my eldest 2 have announced a return to CV19 measures on 20:21 - Oct 8 with 1419 viewsGuthrum

Same with ours.

I could see regional lockdowns sooner than another national one. Sunak would have a fit if he needed to cover the expense of more furloughs, etc.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024