Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wes Burns 08:19 - Jan 24 with 2475 viewsquad

Was anyone else surprised at how Accrington seemed to leave Burns completely unmarked for the majority of the match? With his pace and crossing / finishing ability seemed like they were asking for trouble.

I thought Burns had a much better game than the 6/10 given by Andy Warren in the East Anglian. Great finish for the 1st goal and he was always an outlet for Ipswich players to pass to and to create attacks given none of the Accrington players wanted to stay with him.

Admittedly he ballooned a couple of shots over the bar where he might have played other players in, or at least, got the shots on target. But overall I thought he was a constant thorn in their side and at times he was running their left back ragged. I'd have said 8/10 was fairer.

Interested to hear what others think of his performance in this game.
Wes Burns on 08:30 - Jan 24 with 2395 viewsFightingEssex

We wouldn't have even got a point without him, but this is the same paper and journos who claimed Evans and Harper were lightyears above this league in the window so I wouldn't invest much in what they say about anyone.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Wes Burns on 08:45 - Jan 24 with 2319 viewsiamipswich

Wes Burns on 08:30 - Jan 24 by FightingEssex

We wouldn't have even got a point without him, but this is the same paper and journos who claimed Evans and Harper were lightyears above this league in the window so I wouldn't invest much in what they say about anyone.

Bit harsh on the EADT guys who largely are spot on with their analysis and never pretend to be the all-knowing oracle for ITFC.

I do think Burns was wasteful and didn't run at his man enough given the opportunities he had but still a great goal so would have given a 7/10 myself.

Poll: Who will return first?

Wes Burns on 08:51 - Jan 24 with 2279 viewsJon_456

Opinions init. Id have gone for a 7, didnt do anything wrong but I thought second half he had multiple opportunities down that right side to have a proper run at their LCB and backed off. And on the odd occasion he did get into good positions he was wasteful.

Perhaps still suffering with that Achilles problem.
Wes Burns on 09:11 - Jan 24 with 2200 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Wes Burns on 08:51 - Jan 24 by Jon_456

Opinions init. Id have gone for a 7, didnt do anything wrong but I thought second half he had multiple opportunities down that right side to have a proper run at their LCB and backed off. And on the odd occasion he did get into good positions he was wasteful.

"didnt do anything wrong" - apart from the several he smashed way over the bar in the 2nd half.

To the OP - I thought it was one of his poorer performances.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Wes Burns on 09:22 - Jan 24 with 2109 viewsBloomBlue

I think the 2 he 'ballooned' were terrible, given the time/space he had, a shot on target was the easiest option. I marked him down because as a professional footballer he should be able to hit the target at least once in those 2 situations.

Overall I thought he had an average game, in the first half I thought they kept tight on my and especially their LB stopped a lot of his runs. Second half they gave him a lot more space
Wes Burns on 09:22 - Jan 24 with 2104 viewsWickets

I think the space for Wes was created by KM 's tactic of playing 2 number 10's Chaplin and Celina pushing forward behind Bonne, Acc did not know how to cope with our formation all game as every time Burns made that run he was in space . I think 6/10 was about right one great finnish and as you say by his own standards a little wastefull on two others .
[Post edited 24 Jan 2022 9:35]
Wes Burns on 09:24 - Jan 24 with 2093 viewsBondiBlue

Wes Burns on 08:51 - Jan 24 by Jon_456

I was wondering about his injury too. He hasn't looked like he backs himself to get past his full back for a few weeks now.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Wes Burns on 09:43 - Jan 24 with 1987 viewsJon_456

Wes Burns on 09:24 - Jan 24 by BondiBlue

I was wondering about his injury too. He hasn't looked like he backs himself to get past his full back for a few weeks now.

Certainly against Bolton he struggled.

Not sure whether thats because teams have worked him out or whether playing wing back he's having to cover more ground and thats caught up with him a bit.
Login to get fewer ads

Wes Burns on 09:51 - Jan 24 with 1945 viewsjayessess

I thought Accrington in general left themselves very open when they turned over possession. They push up so high that they put themselves in all sorts of trouble when they lose the ball, so no surprise that they've got a relatively bad defensive record.

(As an aside, apparently this tactic that Wycombe, Rotherham, Accrington play where they knock it long then push their defensive line very high to box the opposition in is called "launch and squish"!)

Burns, well, last 2 games his final ball has been poor for the most part. He's been getting in the right positions but (goal aside) not executing. Hopefully just a normal variation in performance rather than anything more significant.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2022 11:56]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Wes Burns on 10:00 - Jan 24 with 1860 viewsbilllm

Wes Burns on 09:51 - Jan 24 by jayessess

I thought Accrington in general left themselves very open when they turned over possession. They push up so high that they put themselves in all sorts of trouble when they lose the ball, so no surprise that they've got a relatively bad defensive record.

(As an aside, apparently this tactic that Wycombe, Rotherham, Accrington play where they knock it long then push their defensive line very high to box the opposition in is called "launch and squish"!)

Burns, well, last 2 games his final ball has been poor for the most part. He's been getting in the right positions but (goal aside) not executing. Hopefully just a normal variation in performance rather than anything more significant.

The one he blazed over he had plenty of time to take a touch, then up to him what he did place it fire it cross it, that was a dissapointment, but I still think he was worth 7/10,
Wes Burns on 10:12 - Jan 24 with 1798 viewsNthQldITFC

Wes Burns on 09:51 - Jan 24 by jayessess

I think your last sentence is important. There's a tendency amongst fans to (try to) analyse every thing like 'the professionals' do, and when you couple that with blanket coverage and feeling entitled to instant everything in life, we can easily make inaccurate assessments, on insufficient data gathered from insufficient time, and without relevant experience. Messi hasn't scored for twenty minutes, he's useless.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Wes Burns on 10:22 - Jan 24 with 1735 viewsJon_456

Wes Burns on 10:12 - Jan 24 by NthQldITFC

I think your last sentence is important. There's a tendency amongst fans to (try to) analyse every thing like 'the professionals' do, and when you couple that with blanket coverage and feeling entitled to instant everything in life, we can easily make inaccurate assessments, on insufficient data gathered from insufficient time, and without relevant experience. Messi hasn't scored for twenty minutes, he's useless.

Evidence of this when there are no options to go forwards so the odd pass goes back to the CBs and you hear the moans and groans from fans around you. Clearly not understanding the importance of retaining possession.

I dont know if its because we've had little to cheer about over the last 20 years but fans seem so impatient during games these days.
Wes Burns on 10:28 - Jan 24 with 1689 viewsNthQldITFC

Wes Burns on 10:22 - Jan 24 by Jon_456

Evidence of this when there are no options to go forwards so the odd pass goes back to the CBs and you hear the moans and groans from fans around you. Clearly not understanding the importance of retaining possession.

I dont know if its because we've had little to cheer about over the last 20 years but fans seem so impatient during games these days.

Yes, and of course it does feed back into the players' performances.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Wes Burns on 10:46 - Jan 24 with 1607 viewshype313

Wes Burns on 09:22 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

I think the 2 he 'ballooned' were terrible, given the time/space he had, a shot on target was the easiest option. I marked him down because as a professional footballer he should be able to hit the target at least once in those 2 situations.

Overall I thought he had an average game, in the first half I thought they kept tight on my and especially their LB stopped a lot of his runs. Second half they gave him a lot more space

Agreed.

I find with Wes that he's very much a confidence player, if he can skin his LB early in the game then he comes to life, but if he doesn't get much purchase then he becomes a bit of a passenger, gets the ball and then spend the rest of the game coming in off the flank.

He needs to have that confidence to breeze past his opposite number on a more consistent basis, because when he does he's a huge asset that opens up so many more chances, but he can go go from being a key player to a bit part passenger every other game.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Wes Burns on 10:54 - Jan 24 with 1578 viewsEwan_Oozami

Wes Burns on 10:46 - Jan 24 by hype313

Agreed.

I find with Wes that he's very much a confidence player, if he can skin his LB early in the game then he comes to life, but if he doesn't get much purchase then he becomes a bit of a passenger, gets the ball and then spend the rest of the game coming in off the flank.

He needs to have that confidence to breeze past his opposite number on a more consistent basis, because when he does he's a huge asset that opens up so many more chances, but he can go go from being a key player to a bit part passenger every other game.

I also think McKenna's told Burns that he doesn't have to try and beat his man every time, if the opportunity to go past isn't there, use the supporting player to work some space, get the ball back and then head for the byline/goal. Getting past the full back and getting a cross/shot in was more of a Cook tactic - which I think tires players if they're expected to do it every time - McKenna's more about getting players in close support and working the position to take defenders out of the game so that no single player has to bust a gut to beat his man every time...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Wes Burns on 11:09 - Jan 24 with 1532 viewsDyland

Wes Burns on 10:22 - Jan 24 by Jon_456

There were a couple of casual fans near us on Saturday, one of whom kept yelling about how awful everyone was and explaining the tactics to his young kids (totally incorrectly), and the other who kept screaming at the pitch 'TAKE HIM ON' and 'CUT INSIDE' and 'SHOOOT' and 'PASS IT' and 'TACKLE HIM' etc. I mean constantly! And really angrily and constant impatience about how long the player/s took to do anything. So tedious. Sing a song or even booo the opposition ffs. Don't trumpet your ignorance so loudly.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wes Burns on 11:33 - Jan 24 with 1458 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Agree that he was in acres of space for much of the first half and we didn't utilise him until the goal. He should have scored at least one more shouldn't he.

Overall, I think he's a really good player. Another one more the capable of playing at least a level up.
Wes Burns on 12:19 - Jan 24 with 1367 viewsJon_456

Wes Burns on 11:09 - Jan 24 by Dyland

There were a couple of casual fans near us on Saturday, one of whom kept yelling about how awful everyone was and explaining the tactics to his young kids (totally incorrectly), and the other who kept screaming at the pitch 'TAKE HIM ON' and 'CUT INSIDE' and 'SHOOOT' and 'PASS IT' and 'TACKLE HIM' etc. I mean constantly! And really angrily and constant impatience about how long the player/s took to do anything. So tedious. Sing a song or even booo the opposition ffs. Don't trumpet your ignorance so loudly.

I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately I have a ST holder behind me who seems to shout what he wants them to do about 2-3 seconds after the ball has already left that player.

The one I always enjoy is when the opposition pump it up to their 6'4 strikers head and they moan at our CBs for not controlling it.
Aye... unrealistic expectations, even delusional innit on 15:09 - Jan 24 with 1120 viewsDyland

Wes Burns on 12:19 - Jan 24 by Jon_456

I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately I have a ST holder behind me who seems to shout what he wants them to do about 2-3 seconds after the ball has already left that player.

The one I always enjoy is when the opposition pump it up to their 6'4 strikers head and they moan at our CBs for not controlling it.

As if they have never watched an actual game of footy before

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wes Burns on 15:19 - Jan 24 with 1076 viewsN2_Blue

Wes Burns on 09:22 - Jan 24 by Wickets

I think the space for Wes was created by KM 's tactic of playing 2 number 10's Chaplin and Celina pushing forward behind Bonne, Acc did not know how to cope with our formation all game as every time Burns made that run he was in space . I think 6/10 was about right one great finnish and as you say by his own standards a little wastefull on two others .
[Post edited 24 Jan 2022 9:35]

Absolutely this.

Nothing to do with him being left in space. We made the space and having Celina and Chapin central did this. You could see Mckenna urging us to move the ball from left to right but with urgency to create the space.

Too often we have moved the ball so slowly. But for both the goal and the two chances Burns missed we moved the ball very quickly. That is the huge difference currently.

It wasn't Burns best game but he was galloping up the yards as he knew he'd be in that space. Shame he didn't have the composure he showed for the goal as he usually is very composed in front of goal.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Wes Burns on 16:37 - Jan 24 with 965 viewsquad

Wes Burns on 10:54 - Jan 24 by Ewan_Oozami

I also think McKenna's told Burns that he doesn't have to try and beat his man every time, if the opportunity to go past isn't there, use the supporting player to work some space, get the ball back and then head for the byline/goal. Getting past the full back and getting a cross/shot in was more of a Cook tactic - which I think tires players if they're expected to do it every time - McKenna's more about getting players in close support and working the position to take defenders out of the game so that no single player has to bust a gut to beat his man every time...

Agree with this. And if that is what McKenna has told Burns, I think he is right. If the opportunity to go past isn't there or is very difficult then it makes sense to use another player in close support rather than ending up losing possession. Burns does only seem to take players on when he is extremely confident of skinning them. Which is probably as it should be.
Wes Burns on 16:46 - Jan 24 with 935 viewsquad

Wes Burns on 15:19 - Jan 24 by N2_Blue

Absolutely this.

Nothing to do with him being left in space. We made the space and having Celina and Chapin central did this. You could see Mckenna urging us to move the ball from left to right but with urgency to create the space.

Too often we have moved the ball so slowly. But for both the goal and the two chances Burns missed we moved the ball very quickly. That is the huge difference currently.

It wasn't Burns best game but he was galloping up the yards as he knew he'd be in that space. Shame he didn't have the composure he showed for the goal as he usually is very composed in front of goal.

If that's the case then it's a very good tactic because on another day Burns could have had an absolute field day. More composure (and maybe taking a touch instead of hitting the shots first time) and he could and should score and create a lot more chances in future games than he did in this particular game. The wasted chances looked like rushes of blood to the head.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024