Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How refreshing to hear the words... 08:01 - Jan 26 with 1541 viewswkj

"But Plenty of Positives" following a victory rather than a defeat.

I am really enjoying KM's pragmatism in speaking, but expressiveness on the pitch. I know it's only been 5 games, but my god is it so welcome not calling for patience and "he needs time"

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:07 - Jan 26 with 1494 viewsMetal_Hacker

Feels like we're in trustworthy hands

For the most , nearly every reply is constructive ,balanced and purposeful not just waffle for waffle's sake

Poll: If it were one or the other

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:09 - Jan 26 with 1487 viewswkj

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:07 - Jan 26 by Metal_Hacker

Feels like we're in trustworthy hands

For the most , nearly every reply is constructive ,balanced and purposeful not just waffle for waffle's sake

Exactly. Both Cook and Lambert (at the start) we're great at winning fan favour by words, but McKenna is doing it with results without being an utter wang.

Good times so far.

Crybaby

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:10 - Jan 26 with 1482 viewsDubtractor

Oddly enough, I really like that he instantly recognises and shares what we need to do better, or where the game gets out of our control for a bit.

After some of our recent managers, but especially Lambert, it must be a joy for the likes of Brenner to be able to have straightforward interviews with him, and to ask questions about where we can do better without him getting eggy.

Obviously comes with the caveat that it is still early days.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:12 - Jan 26 with 1465 viewswkj

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:10 - Jan 26 by Dubtractor

Oddly enough, I really like that he instantly recognises and shares what we need to do better, or where the game gets out of our control for a bit.

After some of our recent managers, but especially Lambert, it must be a joy for the likes of Brenner to be able to have straightforward interviews with him, and to ask questions about where we can do better without him getting eggy.

Obviously comes with the caveat that it is still early days.

Lambert "We gave it 110%, I couldn't ask anymore of the lads"

Crybaby

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:18 - Jan 26 with 1410 viewsBlueBadger

Bit of a smarmy thing to say, really.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:19 - Jan 26 with 1397 viewswkj

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:18 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

Bit of a smarmy thing to say, really.

You might be right, I reckon Ashton is writing his speeches.

Crybaby

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:26 - Jan 26 with 1350 viewsMach_foreignBlue

And for the first time this season we have a 'big' game come Saturday where the points will matter probably more than usual.
How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:27 - Jan 26 with 1353 viewsJ2BLUE

I was annoyed last night to see so many comments about it looking like a Lambert team etc. It's as if people have learnt nothing. Everything McKenna does has a reason behind it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:28 - Jan 26 with 1327 viewswkj

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:27 - Jan 26 by J2BLUE

I was annoyed last night to see so many comments about it looking like a Lambert team etc. It's as if people have learnt nothing. Everything McKenna does has a reason behind it.

Especially if that means we can field a full strength team on Saturday with our regular attackers having maximum rest.

Granted, it hasn't been the Ipswich way - wherein seasons past we've played our best players onto the injury list.

Crybaby

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:30 - Jan 26 with 1309 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think people were just expressing surprise at the line up.

Who would have predicted Norwood and Jackson up front?!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:38 - Jan 26 with 1260 viewsBlueBadger

The amount of changes definitely had a tinge of Lambingo to them, it's fair to say. But as you say, there was a plan behind it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:43 - Jan 26 with 1228 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:38 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

The amount of changes definitely had a tinge of Lambingo to them, it's fair to say. But as you say, there was a plan behind it.

Oh really, was there a plan behind it? Really?

You wouldn't have mentioned that quote had we lost the game.
How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:50 - Jan 26 with 1185 viewswkj

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:43 - Jan 26 by Mach_foreignBlue

But we didn't lose the game, nor was our win down to luck. McKenna has mentioned looking forward to running the squad through some 'Saturday Tuesdays' - so I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's doing.

Source: 12 points from 15, Second in the form table.

Crybaby

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:52 - Jan 26 with 1170 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How refreshing to hear the words... on 08:50 - Jan 26 by wkj

But we didn't lose the game, nor was our win down to luck. McKenna has mentioned looking forward to running the squad through some 'Saturday Tuesdays' - so I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's doing.

Source: 12 points from 15, Second in the form table.

He seems to know what he is doing indeed that is why Jackson started the game.
How refreshing to hear the words... on 09:21 - Jan 26 with 1063 viewsBlueBadger

Apparently the changes were suggested to him by Luke Chambers.

How refreshing to hear the words... on 09:23 - Jan 26 with 1049 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How refreshing to hear the words... on 09:21 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

Apparently the changes were suggested to him by Luke Chambers.

If that's the case we would have lost the game. We no longer need utter wasters and their advices.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 9:23]
How refreshing to hear the words... on 09:29 - Jan 26 with 1005 viewsclive_baker

He seems to set high standards and he's very listenable, considered and honest in his press conferences. As others have said he doesn't tend to offer meaningless platitudes and soundbites like previous managers, which is refreshing. I think in certain areas we can see what he's trying to implement, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and he probably feels like he doesn't quite have the personnel as yet too. I think Donacien and Burns are excellent down the right, really compliment each other brilliantly. If we can find that with Edmundson + 1 on the left, and get our preferred options back in the middle then we're on to something.

Subjectively the first half was poor last night, against very mediocre opposition. I'm sure KM would have thought so too but I wouldn't expect him to come out and say that. We do seem to have a certain sort of fan who some can do absolutely no wrong, and others can do no right. I don't think there's any harm in a little subjectivity, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Personally I don't see Jackson as having a future here, he wouldn't be featuring in the side if I had my way. I didn't see a lot to convince me otherwise tbh. Seemed a strange selection then and still does now, but we got the 3 points and that's all that matters.

In KM I trust.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How refreshing to hear the words... on 09:41 - Jan 26 with 973 viewsGuthrum

Town fans have had so long with managers either seemingly rolling dice to build their starting lineups or rigidly wedded to one system (whether it's working or not) that it's probably understandable they find it hard to recognise calculated adjustment.

There is this old shibboleth about not changing a winning team. Which, given each game is a discrete event against differing opposition, is not necessarily useful. Also the idea of not being reactive to the opponent in team and tactical selection. Why wouldn't you be, given they'll be using unique personnel and system against us?

It's not tinkering if it isn't random. And as long as the rationale is explained to the players.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How refreshing to hear the words... on 10:05 - Jan 26 with 881 viewsRadlett_blue

How refreshing to hear the words... on 09:29 - Jan 26 by clive_baker

He seems to set high standards and he's very listenable, considered and honest in his press conferences. As others have said he doesn't tend to offer meaningless platitudes and soundbites like previous managers, which is refreshing. I think in certain areas we can see what he's trying to implement, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and he probably feels like he doesn't quite have the personnel as yet too. I think Donacien and Burns are excellent down the right, really compliment each other brilliantly. If we can find that with Edmundson + 1 on the left, and get our preferred options back in the middle then we're on to something.

Subjectively the first half was poor last night, against very mediocre opposition. I'm sure KM would have thought so too but I wouldn't expect him to come out and say that. We do seem to have a certain sort of fan who some can do absolutely no wrong, and others can do no right. I don't think there's any harm in a little subjectivity, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Personally I don't see Jackson as having a future here, he wouldn't be featuring in the side if I had my way. I didn't see a lot to convince me otherwise tbh. Seemed a strange selection then and still does now, but we got the 3 points and that's all that matters.

In KM I trust.

Donacien is much more mobile than Edmundson so naturally gets forward better. Edmundson is also right footed so having him on the left of a back 3 & the equally right-footed KVY isn't ideal.
I thought the first half last night was fine - after the opening hurly-burly, Town took control of the game, although offered little penetration. A bit like the display at Bolton, albeit against a more limited team.
Jackson did better than I expected, finding good space on the left but, again, a right footed player. I doubt he'll be at Town next season but I guess with his greater mobility was seen as a better option than Pigott.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How refreshing to hear the words... on 10:16 - Jan 26 with 842 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's lucky he doesn't need the time, and we can thank Cook for that. Cook was the one who put in all the effort to help them gel, and then by sheer chance they finished gelling just as McKenna arrived. It's a miracle!

Or something.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How refreshing to hear the words... on 13:01 - Jan 26 with 712 viewsclive_baker

How refreshing to hear the words... on 10:05 - Jan 26 by Radlett_blue

Donacien is much more mobile than Edmundson so naturally gets forward better. Edmundson is also right footed so having him on the left of a back 3 & the equally right-footed KVY isn't ideal.
I thought the first half last night was fine - after the opening hurly-burly, Town took control of the game, although offered little penetration. A bit like the display at Bolton, albeit against a more limited team.
Jackson did better than I expected, finding good space on the left but, again, a right footed player. I doubt he'll be at Town next season but I guess with his greater mobility was seen as a better option than Pigott.

Yes agree. re Donacien. He's played a lot of football at full back previously, as well as in the middle so playing on the right of a 3 really suits him. Almost a hybrid position which he definitely has the defensive attributes for. Edmundson is more of an out and out centre half so I wouldn't expect to see him doing quite the same, but does like to get forward to be fair to him.

Jackson looked bereft of confidence, for someone who supposedly has frightening pace, I didn't see him back himself in a 1-on-1 once, compared to Burns for example. It was interesting how often Jackson checked back in possession and offloaded with an easy backward pass. Not necessarily the wrong ball every time, but it was almost like watching McKenna Ipswich vs. Lambert Ipswich in terms of personnel and also conviction, within the same side last night.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How refreshing to hear the words... on 13:05 - Jan 26 with 690 viewsRadlett_blue

How refreshing to hear the words... on 13:01 - Jan 26 by clive_baker

Yes agree. re Donacien. He's played a lot of football at full back previously, as well as in the middle so playing on the right of a 3 really suits him. Almost a hybrid position which he definitely has the defensive attributes for. Edmundson is more of an out and out centre half so I wouldn't expect to see him doing quite the same, but does like to get forward to be fair to him.

Jackson looked bereft of confidence, for someone who supposedly has frightening pace, I didn't see him back himself in a 1-on-1 once, compared to Burns for example. It was interesting how often Jackson checked back in possession and offloaded with an easy backward pass. Not necessarily the wrong ball every time, but it was almost like watching McKenna Ipswich vs. Lambert Ipswich in terms of personnel and also conviction, within the same side last night.

Fair point about Jackson - he didn't seem to have the confidence to run at defenders, which probably results from him having hardly played this season & having scored 1 goal last season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How refreshing to hear the words... on 13:09 - Jan 26 with 669 viewsbackwaywhen

The guy is very switched on and a realist to the task ahead …… in KM we trust , COYBs
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024