Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory Britain part 690876532 20:34 - Feb 17 with 2529 viewsnoggin

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/man-living-tent-wife-after-6

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 21:03 - Feb 17 with 1892 viewsSwansea_Blue

'He's trying his best'
'They're all the same'
'He deserved a drink, he was working so hard'
'He got all the big decisions right'
'They got Brexit done'
'Starmer supports paedos'
'The woke aren't patriots'
Etc...

It's depressingly sad to hear stories like this. I'm sure they're not unique to a particular colour of government, but it does seem that desperate people don't get the support they need these days. And more people are being made desperate as a result of policy decisions. It's very hard to make a case that this particular governemnt gives a sh*t about the 'proles' (edit - not that people care because of the excuses above).
[Post edited 17 Feb 2022 21:08]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 21:50 - Feb 17 with 1834 viewseireblue

That’s just awful. So sad.
Tory Britain part 690876532 on 22:23 - Feb 17 with 1781 viewsLord_Lucan

I agree.

Feck the Tory pandemic! If only it had been a Labour pandemic everything would have been better.

And let's not forget, under a Labour pandemic his family wouldn't have refused them to crash out round theirs because they would have been happier people.

Crazy days baby.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 22:54 - Feb 17 with 1716 viewsnoggin

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 22:23 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

I agree.

Feck the Tory pandemic! If only it had been a Labour pandemic everything would have been better.

And let's not forget, under a Labour pandemic his family wouldn't have refused them to crash out round theirs because they would have been happier people.

Crazy days baby.

That is some lovely "Yeah but Labour"

Covid not only makes people cough, it makes them homeless too.

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 00:26 - Feb 18 with 1654 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 22:54 - Feb 17 by noggin

That’s Lucan for you. But that’s what the country is up against. There’ll be millions the same who have been conditioned to think ‘they’re all as bad as each other’. Despite this being the most dishonest govt for years, the most corrupt for years, the worst slump for years, the worst performance of public services for years, etc., etc. We’ve even got scurvy coming back ffs. But it’s all fine, they’re doing a great job .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 00:42 - Feb 18 with 1641 viewsGeomorph

I agree.

Crazy days baby.

What the fk is this guy sellin … ?
Tory Britain part 690876532 on 02:40 - Feb 18 with 1602 viewsjeera

I agree.

Crazy days baby.

The point being of course they had been let down by a failing system, not a pandemic.

Weren't there supposed to be safeguards to stop people being evicted during the pandemic?

The info is too vague to comment further but you'd like to think there would an enquiry as to how this could happen to a couple in their 50s.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 10:19 - Feb 18 with 1409 viewsLord_Lucan

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 22:54 - Feb 17 by noggin

I sort of get what you are saying now I've re read your post but you posted "Tory Britain" and the article mentions that he lost his home due to the pandemic.

This is why I mentioned the pandemic. The article also says he moved in with relatives but they kicked them out. We don't know the whole story here but you went straight in on a fashionable anti Tory line so you and your groovy gang can have a morning High Five.

I would have imagined the couple would have been given an emergency accommodation option, I don't know but one of my best friends works in this area and they generally offer this option only in many cases to be refused. We also employ a bod who was made homeless on NYE and he was found emergency accommodation pretty quick. There is so little detail in that report that it is impossible to draw a complete conclusion.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 10:28 - Feb 18 with 1396 viewsLord_Lucan

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 00:26 - Feb 18 by Swansea_Blue

That’s Lucan for you. But that’s what the country is up against. There’ll be millions the same who have been conditioned to think ‘they’re all as bad as each other’. Despite this being the most dishonest govt for years, the most corrupt for years, the worst slump for years, the worst performance of public services for years, etc., etc. We’ve even got scurvy coming back ffs. But it’s all fine, they’re doing a great job .

"That's Lucan for you"

Fecking hell that's rich coming from you, most of your posts are a one way pile of cr4p. You and your merry men never see behind the headline, you're like a bunch of sixth formers with Dr Who scarfs and certainly not dissimilar to the likes of Paz - you just shout from the other angle.

Anyone who doesn't fall in with your views is a Tory yeah? And as we know all Tories are in fact Hitler loving stormtroopers.

For your information my political party was The Renew Party but unfortunately they never had a candidate in my area so i didn't vote in the last election. Alas earlier this month they were absorbed by Gina Millers True and Fair Party so I need to look into this.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 10:41]

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:01 - Feb 18 with 1346 viewslowhouseblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 00:26 - Feb 18 by Swansea_Blue

"the worst slump for years". really?? by what possible measure?

boris' greatest political skill seems to be that he reduces too many of his opponents to incoherent babbling rage. rather than an honest assessment of the government's failings critics resort to hyperbole and hysteria. they compete to see who can claim the most extreme things. anyone who's not part of that bubble compares the attacks to reality and concludes that neither side of the argument can be taken seriously.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:14 - Feb 18 with 1316 viewsnoggin

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 10:19 - Feb 18 by Lord_Lucan

I sort of get what you are saying now I've re read your post but you posted "Tory Britain" and the article mentions that he lost his home due to the pandemic.

This is why I mentioned the pandemic. The article also says he moved in with relatives but they kicked them out. We don't know the whole story here but you went straight in on a fashionable anti Tory line so you and your groovy gang can have a morning High Five.

I would have imagined the couple would have been given an emergency accommodation option, I don't know but one of my best friends works in this area and they generally offer this option only in many cases to be refused. We also employ a bod who was made homeless on NYE and he was found emergency accommodation pretty quick. There is so little detail in that report that it is impossible to draw a complete conclusion.

It's pretty well documented that there are far more homeless people than there is available accommodation. Not one person should be homeless in the 5th largest economy in the world, let alone many thousands.

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:16 - Feb 18 with 1299 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:01 - Feb 18 by lowhouseblue

"the worst slump for years". really?? by what possible measure?

boris' greatest political skill seems to be that he reduces too many of his opponents to incoherent babbling rage. rather than an honest assessment of the government's failings critics resort to hyperbole and hysteria. they compete to see who can claim the most extreme things. anyone who's not part of that bubble compares the attacks to reality and concludes that neither side of the argument can be taken seriously.

There’s some amount of overreach when it comes to attacking this government, and Johnson in particular.

It’s an awful government. Lead by a man who is a habitual liar and wholly unsuited to public service. He’s propped up by a coalition of various interest groups and serves at their pleasure.

So people should attack him and the government when they are at fault.

However, as we saw with the debate on Dido Harding earlier in the week, there is so much confirmation bias that the numerous attacks are having the opposite effect. We saw this with Gordon Brown in 2010, which probably leaked with the Gillian Duffy incident.

People started to feel that some of the criticism was trivial and underserved. That gave him a slight bounce in the polls.

We also saw it with Trump. I lost count if the number of ‘out by Christmas’ posts from grizzers and a couple of others. If people concentrated on the real serious failings then it would be easier to hold charlatans like Trump and Johnson to account.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:51 - Feb 18 with 1241 viewseireblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:16 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

There’s some amount of overreach when it comes to attacking this government, and Johnson in particular.

It’s an awful government. Lead by a man who is a habitual liar and wholly unsuited to public service. He’s propped up by a coalition of various interest groups and serves at their pleasure.

So people should attack him and the government when they are at fault.

However, as we saw with the debate on Dido Harding earlier in the week, there is so much confirmation bias that the numerous attacks are having the opposite effect. We saw this with Gordon Brown in 2010, which probably leaked with the Gillian Duffy incident.

People started to feel that some of the criticism was trivial and underserved. That gave him a slight bounce in the polls.

We also saw it with Trump. I lost count if the number of ‘out by Christmas’ posts from grizzers and a couple of others. If people concentrated on the real serious failings then it would be easier to hold charlatans like Trump and Johnson to account.

Hmmmm, you raise an interesting point about confirmation bias.

If the test and trace system by the UK is second to none, there must be simple metrics, that can be used to compare it to say, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, Israel, Senegal as examples

The public accounts committee may have missed this and also have been bias.

So in the spirit of educating us on confirmation bias, maybe you can share with us the metrics behind your unbiased assertions during that debate?
Tory Britain part 690876532 on 12:34 - Feb 18 with 1162 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 11:51 - Feb 18 by eireblue

Hmmmm, you raise an interesting point about confirmation bias.

If the test and trace system by the UK is second to none, there must be simple metrics, that can be used to compare it to say, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, Israel, Senegal as examples

The public accounts committee may have missed this and also have been bias.

So in the spirit of educating us on confirmation bias, maybe you can share with us the metrics behind your unbiased assertions during that debate?

I'm not here to educate anyone. I'll leave the 'talking to people in a condescending manner, as if they were school children in a class' to you old friend.

However, I did provide data to support my view in a previous thread.

[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 12:37]

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 12:58 - Feb 18 with 1133 viewseireblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 12:34 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not here to educate anyone. I'll leave the 'talking to people in a condescending manner, as if they were school children in a class' to you old friend.

“talking to people in a condescending manner”

Well, you are the one, if I am not mistaken in telling people they are exhibiting confirmation bias. And happy to explain the concepts and dangers of overreach. Thanks.

What you supplied is a set of graphs on testing. And as was pointed out in the thread, some of the stats didn’t include everything. But that is a minor point.

So not track and trace. Just testing.

If you are going to have an unbiased view, taking one metric, and extrapolating that to “the UK system is second to none”, at test and trace, is not useful.

Especially when we know have a government talking about small government again.

For instance there are plenty of lessons from other countries that could be learnt.

You strike me a little bit like the a politician that is being interviewed and is happy to say “yes of course some mistakes were made” but when asked what mistakes, they seem utterly incapable of admitting to one.

Contact tracing and isolation was very poorly handled. That is what enabled Covid to spread more rapidly than it should.

Sure the UK did a lot of tests. But just doing testing doesn’t stop Covid spreading.
The point of a track and trace system is to prevent Covid spreading.

It seems to me you are focused on one metric, and happy to heap praise based on that one metric.
To me that is a biased view.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 14:42]
Tory Britain part 690876532 on 14:34 - Feb 18 with 1017 viewsLord_Lucan

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 12:34 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

You've just got a downvote for proving something

[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 14:35]

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:35 - Feb 18 with 941 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 14:34 - Feb 18 by Lord_Lucan

In fairness I did post something positive about our country, so a downvote was only to be expected.

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:37 - Feb 18 with 947 viewseireblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 14:34 - Feb 18 by Lord_Lucan

See, in your terms LL, he has told you the unit price of a thing is the same and you should be happy, when it is the full cost of importing a lot of the same thing has gone up and all the paper works has increased so your profit margin is down is the actual issue, but you are the idiot for not being happy about that unit price. That’s probably a reason for the down vote.
Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:54 - Feb 18 with 902 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:37 - Feb 18 by eireblue

See, in your terms LL, he has told you the unit price of a thing is the same and you should be happy, when it is the full cost of importing a lot of the same thing has gone up and all the paper works has increased so your profit margin is down is the actual issue, but you are the idiot for not being happy about that unit price. That’s probably a reason for the down vote.

You never did correct yourself on the £37billion figure you posted. Despite both Lowhouse and myself, with the help of fullfact.com, pointing out your inaccuracy.

One could even call it an eireblue swerve.

It's ok not to be correct and superior all of the time EB. It even happens to me

But I'm not a man to chase somebody around the board over an issue that took place on a completely separate thread.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 15:55]

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:57 - Feb 18 with 899 viewseireblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:35 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

In fairness I did post something positive about our country, so a downvote was only to be expected.

Isn’t that known as an overreach, inferring a posters attitude to their country from a downie.
Tory Britain part 690876532 on 16:00 - Feb 18 with 887 viewsmonytowbray

Same posters in here who said anyone calling out Johnson and co at the start of the pandemic was "political point scoring" or "revelling in the dead".

Same posters who insist they are impartial but spend more time defending the right wing and corruption.

How f**king hard a shake does one need? Do you need JRM or Matt Hancock to p1ss through your letterbox and have an affair with your partner before the penny drops?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 17:31 - Feb 18 with 809 viewseireblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 15:54 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

You never did correct yourself on the £37billion figure you posted. Despite both Lowhouse and myself, with the help of fullfact.com, pointing out your inaccuracy.

One could even call it an eireblue swerve.

It's ok not to be correct and superior all of the time EB. It even happens to me

But I'm not a man to chase somebody around the board over an issue that took place on a completely separate thread.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 15:55]

The funny thing is, what you are emphasising GB, is that the public accounts committee came to conclusion based on the money spent. Still looking at the wrong metric.

I remember a young whipper snapper that was so keen on the Boris/Cummings Brexit project they used to bring up threads after 13 days of inactivity, to make a point

Imagine that.

I wonder what happened to him and his enthusiasm for Boris and Cummings Brexit sound bites based on simplistic data.

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 17:46 - Feb 18 with 770 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 16:00 - Feb 18 by monytowbray

Same posters in here who said anyone calling out Johnson and co at the start of the pandemic was "political point scoring" or "revelling in the dead".

Same posters who insist they are impartial but spend more time defending the right wing and corruption.

How f**king hard a shake does one need? Do you need JRM or Matt Hancock to p1ss through your letterbox and have an affair with your partner before the penny drops?

I've been repeatedly saying it and it is abundantly obvious. The electorate will not hold this Government to account. The electorate as a whole (or the 44% who voted for them) are responsible for what we have. These two repeatedly say they are not Conservatives (or at least GB does anyway) but they repeatedly excuse everything about them.

But no, it is this board's left wing bias which is the issue. Not a system that does nothing to protect the most vulnerable in society (regardless of whether that is directly the case in this news item). You don't have to look hard to see the most vulnerable in society being totally let down by the state. But no, let's shout about how well they have handled the pandemic and that it is the root of all the issues. There is a massive mental health crisis in this country. There is an energy and poverty crisis in this country. This Government is culpable for them both. You can argue Labour is also responsible for not having been in Government so that they could have funded either properly too, but there you go.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 17:55 - Feb 18 with 744 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 17:46 - Feb 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

I've been repeatedly saying it and it is abundantly obvious. The electorate will not hold this Government to account. The electorate as a whole (or the 44% who voted for them) are responsible for what we have. These two repeatedly say they are not Conservatives (or at least GB does anyway) but they repeatedly excuse everything about them.

But no, it is this board's left wing bias which is the issue. Not a system that does nothing to protect the most vulnerable in society (regardless of whether that is directly the case in this news item). You don't have to look hard to see the most vulnerable in society being totally let down by the state. But no, let's shout about how well they have handled the pandemic and that it is the root of all the issues. There is a massive mental health crisis in this country. There is an energy and poverty crisis in this country. This Government is culpable for them both. You can argue Labour is also responsible for not having been in Government so that they could have funded either properly too, but there you go.

"it’s an awful government. Lead by a man who is a habitual liar and wholly unsuited to public service. He’s propped up by a coalition of various interest groups and serves at their pleasure.

So people should attack him and the government when they are at fault
".

How the fcuck is that defending or excusing Johnson or the Government?

You are one of the worst n here for reading what you want to see rather than what is actually written.

There is so much to attack Johnson and this government for. But you are in severe danger of being reduced to their level if you ignore inconvenient facts.

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 18:07 - Feb 18 with 701 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tory Britain part 690876532 on 17:55 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

"it’s an awful government. Lead by a man who is a habitual liar and wholly unsuited to public service. He’s propped up by a coalition of various interest groups and serves at their pleasure.

So people should attack him and the government when they are at fault
".

How the fcuck is that defending or excusing Johnson or the Government?

You are one of the worst n here for reading what you want to see rather than what is actually written.

There is so much to attack Johnson and this government for. But you are in severe danger of being reduced to their level if you ignore inconvenient facts.

It has been explained above but never mind. Not going to continue to bat the same argument backwards and forwards with you or argue the semantics of your own admitted voting record. Have a good evening.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024