Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New ball playing central defender anyone? 15:23 - Aug 1 with 1583 viewsitfcserbia

Disclaimer first: this is not judging Woolfie based on Saturday game against Bolton nor his mistake for the goal against Millwall nor his sometimes overly casual style.

But does anyone else feel we need maybe a bit more ball playing defender with better overview and distribution for that central role? Both Millwall and Bolton did some good man marking on Morsy and Evans early on and we had trouble getting it out from the back. And McK is clearly set on playing that way which I personally support. Trouble is if you pull back your wingbacks even more it only invites more pressure closer to the back line and long balls also become ineffective. So it's maybe a bit more crucial role than it's being talked about?

Thoughts?

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:26 - Aug 1 with 1533 viewsDyland

Have you only seen Woolfie against Millwall and Bolton? ;)

Not sure he did too badly against Bolton anyway...

Seriously though, no. And hypothetically, if we were looking to improve on Wolfenden, who would be get? He has all the attributes for this team imo.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:29 - Aug 1 with 1506 viewsMediocre_Quick

Corrie Ndaba is decent on the ball, he's clearly being lined up to have an important role

If you want an example of Woolfs playing ability, he carried the ball out from the back fairly regularly last season, pretty sure against Rotherham at the back end of the last season he carried the ball pretty much from our box to theirs...
New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:42 - Aug 1 with 1398 viewshomer_123

No - our main issue lies with putting the ball into the net.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:43 - Aug 1 with 1392 viewsArnoldMoorhen

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:29 - Aug 1 by Mediocre_Quick

Corrie Ndaba is decent on the ball, he's clearly being lined up to have an important role

If you want an example of Woolfs playing ability, he carried the ball out from the back fairly regularly last season, pretty sure against Rotherham at the back end of the last season he carried the ball pretty much from our box to theirs...

So is Elkan Baggott. We are pretty well served in this department, especially for a League One team.
New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:47 - Aug 1 with 1349 viewsMookamoo

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:43 - Aug 1 by ArnoldMoorhen

So is Elkan Baggott. We are pretty well served in this department, especially for a League One team.

Nbada and Baggott both look good, plus Armin looks like he has a future.

Edmundson will be playing in the Championship next year, with or without us, so one of those 3 might be become first choice.
New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:05 - Aug 1 with 1278 viewsitfcjoe

You aren't going to get a better defender than Woolf for that role in this league

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:23 - Aug 1 with 1205 viewsNthsuffolkblue

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 15:26 - Aug 1 by Dyland

Have you only seen Woolfie against Millwall and Bolton? ;)

Not sure he did too badly against Bolton anyway...

Seriously though, no. And hypothetically, if we were looking to improve on Wolfenden, who would be get? He has all the attributes for this team imo.

Woolfenden made one mistake and took a yellow card for it ensuring their player didn't get away. Edmundson also made one similar mistake and had Evans cover for him.

I thought there was nothing between the two of them on Saturday. It is about having an effective unit overall and it would have kept a clean sheet aside from one mistake from the left back.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:34 - Aug 1 with 1158 viewsDJR

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:05 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

You aren't going to get a better defender than Woolf for that role in this league

Agreed. I think he oozes class, and performed the role brilliantly last season from when McK took over, without, to my recollection, any mistakes.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 16:34]
Login to get fewer ads

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:37 - Aug 1 with 1129 viewsDinDjarin

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:23 - Aug 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Woolfenden made one mistake and took a yellow card for it ensuring their player didn't get away. Edmundson also made one similar mistake and had Evans cover for him.

I thought there was nothing between the two of them on Saturday. It is about having an effective unit overall and it would have kept a clean sheet aside from one mistake from the left back.

Wolf and Fridge also got in a muddle between them in our box which could of led to a calamity goal.
New ball playing central defender anyone? on 17:43 - Aug 1 with 1000 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

For me the defence is set. Never used to be that impressed with the Woolf; clearly had the talent but didn't seem to have the mentality. Since McKenna has come in I have had to eat my words, which perhaps shows the chaos of the last few years and the impact it can have... and of course that I was wrong. Ndaba deserves an opportunity to fill that role if required.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 17:47 - Aug 1 with 955 viewsSwansea_Blue

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 17:43 - Aug 1 by SlippinJimmyJuan

For me the defence is set. Never used to be that impressed with the Woolf; clearly had the talent but didn't seem to have the mentality. Since McKenna has come in I have had to eat my words, which perhaps shows the chaos of the last few years and the impact it can have... and of course that I was wrong. Ndaba deserves an opportunity to fill that role if required.

Yep, defence picks itself and we've decent cover, plus we'd be unlikely to get a better player that Woolf anyway.

Focus has to be on getting the front 3 settled to working better together. Everywhere else I think it's clear what the starting lineup is.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 17:56 - Aug 1 with 921 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 17:47 - Aug 1 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, defence picks itself and we've decent cover, plus we'd be unlikely to get a better player that Woolf anyway.

Focus has to be on getting the front 3 settled to working better together. Everywhere else I think it's clear what the starting lineup is.

Ageeed, on all counts.

I do think we need another forward (maybe Hirst but am sure we are working on other targets) as TJJ will likely miss some of the season, and I wouldn't bank on Jackson or Ladapo being consistently fit either.

Then it comes back to the Celina question. Will be difficult to find someone that compares to him but I saw someone mention the need for a lockpicker and tend to agree. Although chance creation is not too much of a problem, I do feel we need someone that offers genuine creativity to bamboozle more stingy defences.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 18:05 - Aug 1 with 895 viewsSkip_Intro

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 16:34 - Aug 1 by DJR

Agreed. I think he oozes class, and performed the role brilliantly last season from when McK took over, without, to my recollection, any mistakes.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 16:34]

agree with this - I was a Woolfy doubter pre-Kmac but he now looks like a top end Champ player...one to build a team around hopefully
New ball playing central defender anyone? on 18:16 - Aug 1 with 857 viewsjas0999

No, we will be gone defensively. More than good enough at this level. We need goal scorers. Need to score more than one per game.
New ball playing central defender anyone? on 18:55 - Aug 1 with 757 viewsVeggie

This is probably the least of our worries. Scoring enough goals to prevent teams parking the bus and constantly ‘getting cramp’ against us is the main one.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 18:56]
Wolf is an excellent fit for that central role in 3 CBs.... on 19:02 - Aug 1 with 737 viewsunstableblue

.... some of his runs out have been fantastic last season, and his passing is good

Very happy with him in that role

Just a bit of rust... and a tough opposition

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

New ball playing central defender anyone? on 19:02 - Aug 1 with 737 viewsWhos_blue

I don't think so.
Our back 3 was one of the highlights last season and in the main, they looked assured on Saturday. Bolton played such an effective high press that there just wasn't the space in midfield to run in to on Saturday.
Of the 3, probably Fridge is the least creative with the ball at his feet and even this is being harsh.
I wouldn't mess with that back 3 at all. It's the foundation of the team.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024