Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Excellent performance 19:04 - Aug 13 with 2072 viewsclive_baker

I would agree with others that have remarked that MK don’t look a patch on the side we’ve got used to over the last couple of years, seems their bubble has burst and will take a while to recover from some high profile departures.

Despite that, I thought we controlled the game so well, it was men against boys really. Walton yet again had very little to do, we look so comfortable with a back 3 which I think suits the personnel so well. I don’t like Wolf in a 2 particularly but when he has the luxury of sitting 5 yards deeper he looks composed for the most part. Davis has got better with each time I’ve seen him, I still think there’s a very good player in there and he really does remind me of Cresswell. Some leap on him too.

Wes ‘slow start to the season’ Burns now has a goal and 2 assists in 3. Morsy is the best player at this level and frankly I’m almost getting bored of praising him every week, he’s top draw for league 1. Chaplin & Harness are certainly making those roles their own and brilliant to see them both notch. Ladapo worked hard, ran the channels, stretched their defence. Would love to see him score but more than played his part. I still would like to see us strengthen and give us another option up there, I’m not convinced TJJ or Jackson have a true goal scorers instinct off the bench but all in all what a great performance.

Onwards and upwards.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2022 19:06]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Perfect time to play MK, haven’t gelled, and tried to play out style on 19:07 - Aug 13 with 2012 viewsunstableblue

But simply don’t have the players to match us

I was worried they would click today, and they did miss a sitter header to go 1-1

Burton is going to be interesting, expect they’re going to sit deep on us.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Excellent performance on 19:07 - Aug 13 with 2016 viewsDubtractor

Davis looks better with each game - you can start to see why we were after him all summer.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Excellent performance on 19:08 - Aug 13 with 2002 viewshomer_123

As I noted earlier...imagine being an MK Don's defender and seeing those 4 come off the bench though!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Excellent performance on 19:12 - Aug 13 with 1967 viewsclive_baker

Excellent performance on 19:08 - Aug 13 by homer_123

As I noted earlier...imagine being an MK Don's defender and seeing those 4 come off the bench though!

Especially in this heat. If nothing else they’re athletic, and quick.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Excellent performance on 19:49 - Aug 13 with 1739 viewsArnieM

As good as we are, and becoming I suppose my main concern is there’s always a “ gift” from either Woolfie or Edmundson during a game.

We are at times, so dominant, that I think our two CB’s switch off and make casual mistakes when our opponents are wondering how the hell they’re going to back in the game . I don’t think it’ll be too long before we see Keogh in defence . I’m just not sure which one of Woolfie or Edmundson will be the one to be rested. It’s just a little chink in our armour , and s better team today would have scored.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Excellent performance on 19:56 - Aug 13 with 1694 viewsChrisd

We can only beat what’s in front of us and we did that extremely well today. Even though the MK Dons have had an indifferent start, that’s still a very encouraging result from our point of view. Good to see the goals coming from different players, also we seemed more prepared to have a few shots from distance today. That performance and result certainly restored my faith after Tuesday night’s display. The performance in the 2nd half against Bolton gave me plenty of encouragement, today it reinforced that our match day squad will cause a lot of teams in this division plenty of problems. However, I’d still go out and get that striker in that could make all the difference, especially in those tight games.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Excellent performance on 19:58 - Aug 13 with 1684 viewsjeera

Excellent performance on 19:07 - Aug 13 by Dubtractor

Davis looks better with each game - you can start to see why we were after him all summer.

Went about his business today with no fuss.

Looked really composed didn't he.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Perfect time to play MK, haven’t gelled, and tried to play out style on 20:04 - Aug 13 with 1661 viewsNthQldITFC

Perfect time to play MK, haven’t gelled, and tried to play out style on 19:07 - Aug 13 by unstableblue

I was worried they would click today, and they did miss a sitter header to go 1-1

Will be interesting to see. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pushing them right back and Evans or even Woolfie banging in a couple from 30 yards out. Chappers on the rebounds maybe.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Excellent performance on 20:32 - Aug 13 with 1560 viewsBigCommon

Couple of takes for me, aside from the obvious ones...
1st, we mixed it up a bit more today with our passing. Even Walton going long a few times. OK, so the odd one went astray. But some of the sprayed passing really moved MKD about. Who looked set up to nullify our possession game. Glad to see us bringing another string to the bow...
2nd, People need to stop banging on about a 25 goal striker.. MKD lost Twine and don't know how to score now. That's what happens when a primary source of goals is completely relied on. We've got goals all over the pitch. A strikers role in KM's side , is not to be a goal machine. Moreover, to be a cog in a machine.. We are top of the league, joint top scorers , and joint top goal difference. Without our main striker scoring. But helping to provide.. He'll get his share through the season. Most likely double figures. Along with 4 or 5 others.
Perfect time to play MK, haven’t gelled, and tried to play out style on 22:17 - Aug 13 with 1408 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Perfect time to play MK, haven’t gelled, and tried to play out style on 19:07 - Aug 13 by unstableblue

And they won’t try and pass us off the pitch either. They will be very direct and bypass our midfield. It’s the sort of game that we would have been bullied out of last season, so will be interesting to see how we cope. It’s probably a game that’s made for the likes of Keogh and Ball, not that I’m expecting any changes from today.

Poll: Our final position

Excellent performance on 23:04 - Aug 13 with 1315 viewsChrisd

Excellent performance on 20:32 - Aug 13 by BigCommon

Couple of takes for me, aside from the obvious ones...
1st, we mixed it up a bit more today with our passing. Even Walton going long a few times. OK, so the odd one went astray. But some of the sprayed passing really moved MKD about. Who looked set up to nullify our possession game. Glad to see us bringing another string to the bow...
2nd, People need to stop banging on about a 25 goal striker.. MKD lost Twine and don't know how to score now. That's what happens when a primary source of goals is completely relied on. We've got goals all over the pitch. A strikers role in KM's side , is not to be a goal machine. Moreover, to be a cog in a machine.. We are top of the league, joint top scorers , and joint top goal difference. Without our main striker scoring. But helping to provide.. He'll get his share through the season. Most likely double figures. Along with 4 or 5 others.

It’s more the point if Lapado isn’t available we haven’t really got a like for like replacement as it showed against Colchester that can play that central striker role and that leaves us a little exposed.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Excellent performance on 23:18 - Aug 13 with 1257 viewsjayessess

Excellent performance on 19:49 - Aug 13 by ArnieM

As good as we are, and becoming I suppose my main concern is there’s always a “ gift” from either Woolfie or Edmundson during a game.

We are at times, so dominant, that I think our two CB’s switch off and make casual mistakes when our opponents are wondering how the hell they’re going to back in the game . I don’t think it’ll be too long before we see Keogh in defence . I’m just not sure which one of Woolfie or Edmundson will be the one to be rested. It’s just a little chink in our armour , and s better team today would have scored.

I'm not sure what we're seeing is "gifts" from the CBs exactly. McKenna talks a lot about keeping the ball in play and keeping possession. That involves risk-taking because we aren't just clearing the ball.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Excellent performance on 05:15 - Aug 14 with 1094 viewsBigCommon

Excellent performance on 23:04 - Aug 13 by Chrisd

It’s more the point if Lapado isn’t available we haven’t really got a like for like replacement as it showed against Colchester that can play that central striker role and that leaves us a little exposed.

Yep. Totally agree.. We need another Ladapo type player. Maybe John Jules could play that role. He's quite athletic? But I 'd say we could do with another .
It did get me thinking earlier though, and I mentioned it on another thread. It's my opinion , based on what I've seen under KM. That a striker in his system, has to be very unselfish, at times. Which goes against most strikers instincts. We've had Bonne, Nors, Piggot, Jackson and now Ladapo . None of which have scored many goals under KM Although, very early to judge Ladapo.. At what point do we say, that, that is just how it is for a striker in KM's team?
Do the yards, pull defenders about, shield the ball and link up, and allow deep runners to come in and grab a fare percentage of the chances we create.?
We even saw it against Col U. With arguably, the best chances falling to Humphrey's, from deep.
So, lets just say, your a striker target on our radar. And ultimately your career is going to be judged on your goals per game. Is a move to a McKenna's Ipswich, going to give you the opportunity to score a hatful of goals? I'm pretty sure our style of play, will be a discussion that will be had by KM and any possible incomings. And, imo, anyone that comes in, after said discussion. Is going to be someone, who is willing to make those sacrifices, for the good of the team. So we should get behind them, whether they are scoring 1 goal in 2 games. Or 1 in every 4-5 games. As long as the points total is ticking over. And they are not missing absolute sitters game after game. Or getting caught off side regularly.
The flip side is. Could the style of play, actually put a striker off coming here? Let's say, a more selfish type striker?
Let's be honest. Our strikers under KM are lucky if they get 3 chances per game, even if other players get chances . To score a 1 in 3 ratio, is Premier League standard strike rate.
I'm just highlighting , how hard it is for our strikers to hit 20 league goals. So I'm honestly not expecting them to. Whoever they are. In this system.
Excellent performance on 07:18 - Aug 14 with 937 viewsNthQldITFC

Excellent performance on 23:18 - Aug 13 by jayessess

I'm not sure what we're seeing is "gifts" from the CBs exactly. McKenna talks a lot about keeping the ball in play and keeping possession. That involves risk-taking because we aren't just clearing the ball.

Absolutely. That and what was it, 15 goals against in about 30 games last season after we went to the three at the back? Half a goal a game?

Absolutely nothing needs to change about the way we defend and build from the back. Keogh is an upgrade in cover as well as squad experience.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Excellent performance on 10:33 - Aug 14 with 721 viewsjayessess

Excellent performance on 07:18 - Aug 14 by NthQldITFC

Absolutely. That and what was it, 15 goals against in about 30 games last season after we went to the three at the back? Half a goal a game?

Absolutely nothing needs to change about the way we defend and build from the back. Keogh is an upgrade in cover as well as squad experience.

One thing I've noticed is that clearing the ball is now the absolute last resort in all circumstances. Under previous regimes with a lot of the direct stuff the aim was just to win the first ball and get it heading out or back up the pitch.

Now with the direct stuff our CBs are constantly looking to keep it in play and at the feet of one of our players. This makes it way more difficult for the opposition to get up the pitch. It contributes to us occasionally getting in a mess, but it's also why we're almost never stuck in our own half for very long.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Excellent performance on 11:24 - Aug 14 with 670 viewsFrankfurtBlue

The work rate of this team is on a different level.

It is easier to play possession-based football when the man in possession always has two or three options, with Evans and Morsy almost always making themselves available, Walton being comfotable receiving the ball in tight situations, and JD and LD providing width.

Ladapo really is an athlete. His closing down from the front, together with that of Chaplin, Morsy etc made life very uncomfortable for MK and never gave them a chance to build from the back.

If you were going to be critical, the corners stiill need some work, and the pot shots could improve in quantity and quality. Presumably Evans has a shot on him, but we rarely get to see it. Also Wolfie and to a lesser extent, Edmundson have the odd unforced error in them, due to being too laid back, or non-focussed.

Also, I have to partly contradict KMc's assertion that the table is unimportant at this stage. I know what he means, but self-belief for some players is more important than others, and winning and being top will generally have a positive mental effect.

All in all, an excellent performance. Let's hope they only get better!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024