Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bradford Flare 14:26 - Aug 14 with 5831 viewsSwailsey

“Bradford City 'sickened' by use of pyrotechnics after fan injured at game”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62540778

I dislike them anyway and think they’re pretty selfish and dangerous for those with asthma/COPD etc, but this, especially given Bradford’s history is so, so poor.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 14:29]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Bradford Flare on 14:37 - Aug 14 with 3492 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Even worse than Col U "fans" throwing seats that hit their own supporters.

A rather ironic name for the Chief Exec there.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Bradford Flare on 14:38 - Aug 14 with 3486 viewscbower

Some will maintain a flare or smoke bomb adds to the atmosphere. Not for me. Having witnessed the effects of fire, fireworks and smoke on human beings in the flesh, I think deploying them in a crowd is ridiculous and worthy of a custodial sentence. Many will disagree I'm sure and say I'm a killjoy but let's hope they never witness someone with burned flesh and permanent scars for 5he sake of a better atmosphere.

bluescouser

Bradford Flare on 14:41 - Aug 14 with 3458 viewsSwailsey

Bradford Flare on 14:38 - Aug 14 by cbower

Some will maintain a flare or smoke bomb adds to the atmosphere. Not for me. Having witnessed the effects of fire, fireworks and smoke on human beings in the flesh, I think deploying them in a crowd is ridiculous and worthy of a custodial sentence. Many will disagree I'm sure and say I'm a killjoy but let's hope they never witness someone with burned flesh and permanent scars for 5he sake of a better atmosphere.

You’re not alone:

https://bantamtalk.com/index.php?threads/flares.6415/

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Bradford Flare on 15:30 - Aug 14 with 3251 viewsjontysnut

I was at a Tranmere v Forest Green last season and some kids launched fireworks towards the opposing keeper. They were rightly subject to a full and frank exchange of views from other fans.
Bradford Flare on 15:34 - Aug 14 with 3231 viewsPlums

Bradford Flare on 14:41 - Aug 14 by Swailsey

You’re not alone:

https://bantamtalk.com/index.php?threads/flares.6415/

Lots of justified anger there.

On another point, one visit to that site highlights just how lucky we are with the TWTD platform Gav and Phil have put together for us.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Bradford Flare on 15:39 - Aug 14 with 3201 viewsSwailsey

Bradford Flare on 15:34 - Aug 14 by Plums

On another point, one visit to that site highlights just how lucky we are with the TWTD platform Gav and Phil have put together for us.

Hahaha I thought that too

Bradford Flare on 15:44 - Aug 14 with 3186 viewsIllinoisblue

Bradford Flare on 15:34 - Aug 14 by Plums

I never realised there was once a serious fire at Forest’s City Ground in 1968:

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Bradford Flare on 15:49 - Aug 14 with 3155 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Bradford Flare on 15:44 - Aug 14 by Illinoisblue

Is the last picture after the fire was out? Are fans back in the stand? Seems remarkable that the fire could have got hold like that and everyone got out fine. Clearly helped by being before the advent of cages, fencing, etc due to hooliganism.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Bradford Flare on 16:22 - Aug 14 with 3072 viewsHighgateBlue

Absolutely.

I have been consistently criticising the increasing instances of this dangerous and criminal behaviour, and saying that pretty soon there will be injuries amongst innocent fans. Sadly many have been content to laugh it off and say that 'a bit of pyro' is nothing to worry about.

Intentionally committing dangerous crimes should result in hefty bans, regardless of whether an injury is caused. This has got to be stamped out. Who wants to put their kids into this sort of scenario?
Bradford Flare on 16:30 - Aug 14 with 3044 viewsdominiciawful

Bradford Flare on 15:49 - Aug 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is the last picture after the fire was out? Are fans back in the stand? Seems remarkable that the fire could have got hold like that and everyone got out fine. Clearly helped by being before the advent of cages, fencing, etc due to hooliganism.

I dread to think what the death toll at Valley Parade would have been if that main stand had fencing along the front of it.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Bradford Flare on 16:39 - Aug 14 with 2988 viewsMattinLondon

I do like pyros at matches and I think they add to the colour and atmosphere.
Bradford Flare on 16:42 - Aug 14 with 2977 viewsPJH

Bradford Flare on 15:44 - Aug 14 by Illinoisblue

We played and beat Notts Forest at Notts County's ground in October after that. They played six 'home' games on neutral grounds. Don't know if they were all at Meadow Lane.
Bradford Flare on 16:42 - Aug 14 with 2974 viewsSwailsey

Bradford Flare on 16:39 - Aug 14 by MattinLondon

I do like pyros at matches and I think they add to the colour and atmosphere.

But do you think it’s good they hit people in the arm?

Bradford Flare on 16:55 - Aug 14 with 2908 viewsMattinLondon

Bradford Flare on 16:42 - Aug 14 by Swailsey

But do you think it’s good they hit people in the arm?

Of course not.
Bradford Flare on 17:31 - Aug 14 with 2783 viewsSwailsey

Bradford Flare on 16:55 - Aug 14 by MattinLondon

Of course not.

Interesting downvote then fella!

Bradford Flare on 17:54 - Aug 14 with 2717 viewsMattinLondon

Bradford Flare on 17:31 - Aug 14 by Swailsey

Interesting downvote then fella!

I was down voting the ‘selfish’ comment.
Bradford Flare on 18:06 - Aug 14 with 2666 viewsChurchman

Agree 100%. Years ago now I was involved in something that meant I saw all the footage and photographs, published and unpublished of the Valley Parade disaster; all of it. Stuff to keep you awake at night.

It’s not a debating issue for me. Flares etc = custodial sentence, end of.

Edit: on the footage for Bradford City disaster, the fire appears in one corner. In under 4 minutes, the stand is a complete inferno. Never underestimate how fast fire can travel.

[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 18:14]
Bradford Flare on 19:10 - Aug 14 with 2535 viewsPlums

Bradford Flare on 18:06 - Aug 14 by Churchman

Agree 100%. Years ago now I was involved in something that meant I saw all the footage and photographs, published and unpublished of the Valley Parade disaster; all of it. Stuff to keep you awake at night.

It’s not a debating issue for me. Flares etc = custodial sentence, end of.

Edit: on the footage for Bradford City disaster, the fire appears in one corner. In under 4 minutes, the stand is a complete inferno. Never underestimate how fast fire can travel.

[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 18:14]

I’ve also seen much of that material. That those poor people were simply going to a football match and ended up losing their lives in such a hideous way is beyond description. I remember going to Layer Road shortly after and being terrified by the amount of rubbish underneath their old wooden stand. One cigarette on the wrong day and the whole lot would have gone up.

There’s no need for flares at football but I expect we’ll see them at Burton as terracing always seems to attract them.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Bradford Flare on 19:50 - Aug 14 with 2454 viewsAlanG296

Bradford Flare on 17:54 - Aug 14 by MattinLondon

I was down voting the ‘selfish’ comment.

They Are selfish!
Bradford Flare on 20:35 - Aug 14 with 2393 viewsHipsterectomy

the usual people who celebrate flares as being part of the banter atmosphere are missing in here

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Bradford Flare on 20:39 - Aug 14 with 2379 viewsMattinLondon

Bradford Flare on 19:50 - Aug 14 by AlanG296

They Are selfish!

No they’re not.
Bradford Flare on 20:49 - Aug 14 with 2330 viewsMattinLondon

Bradford Flare on 20:35 - Aug 14 by Hipsterectomy

the usual people who celebrate flares as being part of the banter atmosphere are missing in here

Instead there’s simply an abundance of miserable sods.
Bradford Flare on 21:03 - Aug 14 with 2295 viewsITFC_Forever

I personally don’t mind them and see why people think they add to the atmosphere.

But that is outweighed by sympathy for those who for medical reasons aren’t able to be so tolerant, and of course throwing them is wrong.

But on a more general point about them, aren’t there different types? The usual smoke flares, which while letting off the smoke etc, aren’t actually that hot, and the full on fire ones, which clearly are very hot and therefore have that added danger?

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Bradford Flare on 21:37 - Aug 14 with 2228 viewsSwailsey

Bradford Flare on 20:49 - Aug 14 by MattinLondon

Instead there’s simply an abundance of miserable sods.

Edit: Not worth it.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 21:41]

Bradford Flare on 22:03 - Aug 14 with 2178 viewsSlambo

It's so disappointing reading the comments when a thread on this topic comes up. Many people think pyro augments the atmosphere and ambience at football matches. No-one can fail to be moved at the sight of a packed end in one of Europe's big leagues, with flags and smoke billowing, illuminated by flares. Why can't legislators work with these fans and find a way to safely incorporate pyro into the matchday experience and create something we can ALL enjoy?

As with Prohibition in the US, criminalising an act - particularly a 'victimless' crime that loses legitimacy in the eyes of the populace - just drives it underground into the hands of irresponsible people, makes it more dangerous and harder to control. That lad at Bradford lobbed the flare (or smoke bomb, two very distinct things) because if he'd been caught with it he'd have received a punishment outrageously disproportionate to the offence. How much serious harm (when used sensibly, of course) does pyro actually cause? There must be reams of data from the continent where their use is far more widespread. Surely we should be inundated with stories of stadium fires and horrible burns injuries from the Bundesliga?

I'd have 'pyro zones' at the front of the North lower. Only one person at a time, with buckets of water and sand with a fire marshall nearby. Any fan who enters has to have had some kind of fire safety training/training in handling pyro. They manage it in MLS for crying out loud, in one of the most risk adverse countries in the world...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024