Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big game today 07:20 - Apr 1 with 1484 viewsHerbivore

Goes without saying that in the context of the season this feels like a big game. Three points here ramps up the pressure on the top 2 and keeps us bang in the hunt for automatic promotion.

However I think it's also a big game in terms of the team continuing to demonstrate things are different now under McKenna and the new ownership. Let's be honest, there are several factors going into this game that means we'd be nailed on to lose it at any other time in the last 5 years:

- Coming up against a side out of form and leaking goals.
- First game after an international break.
- A 'must win' pressure game.
- Other results having gone our way.
- Facing an ex-player who's having a very good season.

Usually this would all point to a limp 2-0 defeat with goals from McGoldrick and Hourihane. We've been here plenty of times before and we know the script.

However, things do feel different under the new regime, despite some frustrating results this season. Going to Bolton and turning them over with their home record in a game we really needed to win to keep ourselves in the mix and kill off their auto hopes was impressive. We've only lost once to a rival all season and that was at a Plymouth side who have been excellent at home in a game we should have put to bed before they smashed in two worldies. With the caveat that it's League 1 and they should do with the money we've spent on them, this squad feels like it has a bit more about it in these big games.

So today is very much a chance to continue exorcising some demons and putting our recent history to bed. All that said, I don't think a draw would be a complete disaster today. Derby are still a good side and will be bang up for this. On paper, it's one of our three toughest remaining games and all sides are going to drop points at some stage. A win here would be a big result and would really show we mean business.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Big game today on 08:05 - Apr 1 with 1365 viewsstickymockwell

You've just made me feel even more nervous

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Big game today on 10:28 - Apr 1 with 1268 viewsPique

Agree with all that. Your description of the limp 2-0 defeat made me laugh, because that is exactly what would have happened.

The key today is not to lose, and especially not to lose by a scoreline that has a big impact on our goal difference.

Don't agree with those saying it's a 'must win', but I do think it's a 'must not lose', both for practical points/GD reasons and just general momentum reasons.
Big game today on 10:31 - Apr 1 with 1262 viewsMullet

Bang up for this. We're gonna do more damage to Derby than Paul Jewell and be on our way back to the Championship innit.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Big game today on 11:05 - Apr 1 with 1172 viewsDaninthecampo

It's been a long time since i had a restless nights sleep thinking about a game but last night i did. I think we'll win but i do feel this could be the most important game of the remaining 9, coming back from a break and continuing our momentum
You got it! on 11:07 - Apr 1 with 1167 viewsunstableblue

Test of the project and progression today

The other big factor is that Warne is really setting this up a key game in Derby's season... aligned to some of your points about Ipswich - can Derby use this to provide the spring board their season desperately needs, and arrest a recent slide in fortunes.

I'm seeing Morsy and Luongo as key today... Morsy is unleashed from his yellow card ban concern.. NOW THAT IS A FACTOR

COYFB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I'm not oozing the same positive confidence on 11:30 - Apr 1 with 1107 viewsDyland

I was for a few days after Shrews. However, nothing has changed, except our rivals losing and offering a chance for us to pile on the pressure. This was my point about the break, though obviously I'm not playing so no reason the team will feel the same as me :)

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

You got it! on 11:32 - Apr 1 with 1102 viewsringwoodblue

You got it! on 11:07 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

The other big factor is that Warne is really setting this up a key game in Derby's season... aligned to some of your points about Ipswich - can Derby use this to provide the spring board their season desperately needs, and arrest a recent slide in fortunes.

I'm seeing Morsy and Luongo as key today... Morsy is unleashed from his yellow card ban concern.. NOW THAT IS A FACTOR

COYFB

If we can equal or better the results of Wendies and Barnsley today, it will be job done but if we don’t, all the positivity of the other results last week will be somewhat lost.

COYB!

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Big game today on 11:36 - Apr 1 with 1093 viewsBigCommon

There's a couple of ways of looking at this one, imo

Ordinarily, a draw or less is not ideal but not the end of the world..
But given the context of what's happened to our rivals during the international break, and the fact that Plymouth don't play this weekend. Then, for me. It just feels like a must win game... Not least, to keep the screw turned on SW, who really aren't handling the pressure atm...If we give them any breathing space, then it'll feel like they've gotten away with one, imo. We have the opportunity to pour salt on their wound. It would be nice to take that opportunity. With so few games left, we might not get this scenario again this season. Imo. That's the feeling I've got...
Login to get fewer ads

oh god, shut up "the project" on 11:40 - Apr 1 with 1085 viewsDyland

You got it! on 11:07 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

COYFB

x

oh god, shut up "the project" on 11:48 - Apr 1 with 1057 viewsunstableblue

oh god, shut up "the project" on 11:40 - Apr 1 by Dyland

x

Well what would you call it Dyland?

McKenna and Ashton use the term... perhaps tell them to stop banging on about it!?

'"This is the type of project I was waiting for. We all know it's going to be a long journey and I'm here for that journey.'

"I love that they all have bought houses in the area, not just rented, because they are committed to the project."

Or would you rather call it a 'downfall' as per your February blog... 'I thought some kind of downfall was coming' a premonition which ushered in a 6 game zero goals conceded winning streak.. keep them coming
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 12:03]

Big game today on 12:22 - Apr 1 with 944 viewsHerbivore

Big game today on 11:36 - Apr 1 by BigCommon

But given the context of what's happened to our rivals during the international break, and the fact that Plymouth don't play this weekend. Then, for me. It just feels like a must win game... Not least, to keep the screw turned on SW, who really aren't handling the pressure atm...If we give them any breathing space, then it'll feel like they've gotten away with one, imo. We have the opportunity to pour salt on their wound. It would be nice to take that opportunity. With so few games left, we might not get this scenario again this season. Imo. That's the feeling I've got...

I'm not sure it's a must win, ourselves and those around us will drop points and with 9 games to go (including today) that's still 20% of our fixtures left to play and a lot can happen in that time. A loss would be a big blow given our recent form and Derby's, but I don't think a point is the end of the world. This is a tough fixtures and a win would send a message, making it seven on the bounce and two out of two from our four tough away games in the last chunk of the season. That would be great from a confidence point of view and of course in terms of the league table too. A draw keeps us ticking over with the chance to add points in quick back to back vames over the Easter weekend.

Eyes peeled on Hillsborough today on 12:26 - Apr 1 with 922 viewsunstableblue

Big game today on 11:36 - Apr 1 by BigCommon

That rally at Cheltenham to get the point may be the boost the Owls need

Certainly their fans are on the edge… and the low reserves of Moore support are depleting fast

They are desperately missing Byers and Windass.

But I can see a win for them today… and their automatic promotion campaign getting back on track

But they’ve got some tricky ties coming up … and another falter today and they’d implode… as long as keep up the pressure

oh god, shut up "the project" on 14:04 - Apr 1 with 739 viewsDyland

oh god, shut up "the project" on 11:48 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

Well what would you call it Dyland?

McKenna and Ashton use the term... perhaps tell them to stop banging on about it!?

'"This is the type of project I was waiting for. We all know it's going to be a long journey and I'm here for that journey.'

"I love that they all have bought houses in the area, not just rented, because they are committed to the project."

Or would you rather call it a 'downfall' as per your February blog... 'I thought some kind of downfall was coming' a premonition which ushered in a 6 game zero goals conceded winning streak.. keep them coming
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 12:03]

"Or would you rather call it a 'downfall' as per your February blog"

Confusing me with someone else ba. And taken my (meant to be) lighthearted comment way too seriously :)

I don't like corporate speak tis all.

Big game today on 08:20 - Apr 2 with 602 viewsHerbivore

Passed with flying colours.

Big game today on 08:33 - Apr 2 with 541 viewsFreddies_Ears

Big game today on 08:20 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

Passed with flying colours.

Pretty much a perfect day! We owned the big moments in the game, including some interesting ref decisions (karma...)...

The first goal was as good as I have seen, each player doing his job perfectly.
Big game today on 08:44 - Apr 2 with 509 viewsMullet

Big game today on 10:31 - Apr 1 by Mullet

Bang up for this. We're gonna do more damage to Derby than Paul Jewell and be on our way back to the Championship innit.

#mysticmullet innit

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024